The Play Station
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Top 5 Gaming Goals For 2018 (with 2016 and 2017 also mixed in)
by BretBaber Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:47 pm

» Now Playing
by volvocrusher Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:27 pm

» General TV Show Discussion
by volvocrusher Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:48 pm

» First Half of 2018 Questionnaire (GotY So Far, etc.)
by volvocrusher Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:35 pm

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Tomb Raider (2013 reboot) Discussion

5 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Tomb Raider (2013 reboot) Discussion Empty Tomb Raider (2013 reboot) Discussion

Post by TripOpt55 Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:19 am

Tomb Raider (2013 reboot) Discussion IbwNL8LsiaDjtJ

I thought I'd make up some individual game threads for upcoming games some of us might be getting. Will anyone else be grabbing the Tomb Raider reboot? I really want to grab the Collector's Edition, but I am undecided because money is a bit tight right now, but I will be grabbing the game at least. I'm pretty excited.

Last edited by TripOpt55 on Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

http://thetripleoption.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Tomb Raider (2013 reboot) Discussion Empty Re: Tomb Raider (2013 reboot) Discussion

Post by Miraculous Kaydybug Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:37 pm

I want the CE too, but I cant see myself being able to afford it. Gonna try and preorder it soon in any case.
Miraculous Kaydybug
Miraculous Kaydybug
Sees Tetris Blocks EVERYWHERE

http://gunstabwounds.tumblr.com/stabs

Back to top Go down

Tomb Raider (2013 reboot) Discussion Empty Re: Tomb Raider (2013 reboot) Discussion

Post by volvocrusher Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:06 pm

I'm going to be keeping a very close eye on what you think of this Trip. Hope it turns out well.
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Miraculous Kaydybug Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:15 pm

Preordered it today. I'll let you know what i think about it too
Miraculous Kaydybug
Miraculous Kaydybug

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:37 am

It is getting close. I should really pre-order, but I am on the fence on which version still. I have a few Lara figures and that one feels like it might need to be in the collection.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Miraculous Kaydybug Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:31 pm

Anyone gonna try the multiplayer. I mean as amazing as the game looks everything i heard about the MP just seems awful. I might try it.
Miraculous Kaydybug
Miraculous Kaydybug

Back to top Go down

Post by SanAndreasX Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:41 pm

I'm on the fence about it. I didn't really like Tomb Raider back during its glory days on PS1, and while this game looks nice enough, I'll be waiting for some opinions before I jump in.
SanAndreasX
SanAndreasX
Biotic God

Back to top Go down

Post by Miraculous Kaydybug Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:08 pm

The early games never did interest me, but I'm really excited to try this one out. The fact that Lara's actually attractive this time around and that it looks ridiculously violent are probably the reason why. The arrow throat stabbing in my signature looks so awesome.
Miraculous Kaydybug
Miraculous Kaydybug

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:48 am

The violence is kind of weird in that she goes from like traumatized over her first kill to doing shit like that in a few hours. I'm not much of a complainer when it comes to narrative dissonance though so if it is fun I won't care. The combat looks like the best in the series to date, so that is a plus for me. I still hope the gameplay leans towards platforming/exploration, but I'm not sure if that will be the case or not. It kind of looks like hubs will be the latter while the linear sections that connect the two will focus a bit more on the former. I guess it will depend on how much of each there will be and how much of the platforming in the linear sections will still be fun. Puzzles I'm a little worried about. Like they haven't shown much of the tombs, so I hope they are fun. I'm not expecting full-on huge room that sort of act like one giant puzzle here, but I hope they have a new kind of interesting take on puzzles.

A lot of the new stuff I like though. The more open hubs look like a lot of fun. Combat as I mentioned looks better. The story I like. I like the idea of starting Lara's story over and seeing her grow into a great adventurer. The gear-gating is cool and upgrade system is cool. The challenge tombs sound good assuming as they say there are still big tombs in the mainline story. Again my big question is the balance between all the elements. I still want it to feel like a TR game. And that has always focused on the adventure part of the action/adventure genre.

I'll try the multiplayer. It looks pretty fucking janky though. I do like the amount of traversal in the maps (there is more than even Uncharted multiplayer) because that should be a part of this series in any form. I also like the idea of incorporating the traps. I am not expecting it to be good, but I will try it. I hate to be that guy but I do wish there were less multiplayer trophies. Not so much because I need the platinum, just because I'd like more attached to stuff in the singleplayer campaign since this is that kind of series at heart. Like I get something with a big multiplayer component having them, but this a little less.

Also I while I agree this is by a good margin the best looking version of Lara. She looked great in Anniversary both renders and in game. Obviously it was a PS2 game, but I still she looked good there.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Miraculous Kaydybug Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:20 am

The combat's one of the main draws for me. It looks really fun, and there's supposed to be upgradable skills and stuff too. As far as the narrative thing I don't really care either. Tales of the Abyss basically does the same thing with Luke (though he doesn't stab people throats with arrows, etc. he does kill them in battle just like everyone else) and it's one of my favorite games of all time. So it doesn't bother me at all.

I've never played a Tomb Raider game so I don't know what to expect in how it should feel, but either way it should make for some interesting discussion since you're a big fan of the series, and I'm just jumping in at the reboot. On that note I really should play DmC sometime lol

With the multiplayer let me know and I'll try it with you sometime. Like I said I'm not expecting much, but it could turn out alright. Regardless though I know I'll have more fun than I did with the GoW MP. That was just abysmal imo. I agree on the trophies if i like the game enough I'll probably have all the sp ones anyways, and i really don't want to slog through some shoehorned mulitplayer for the plat. Though it could be good here's hoping for that.

and for the record I'm okay with PS2 Lara's body just not her face. It looks odd to me though i do get it it's somewhat do to the tech back then. It's just me being nitpicky
Miraculous Kaydybug
Miraculous Kaydybug

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:10 pm

Yeah I'm sure it will be fun to discuss. At least with you having a negative reaction to DmC you'll get if the balance or whatever TR stuff is sort of missing bothers me here. Assuming you are getting the PS3 version we will have to give the multiplayer a shot. I can't imagine we played anything online together before, so it should be neat for that too.

I skimmed a few reviews today. It sounds quite good though a bit action-oriented. I kind of expected that at this point. It also seems to just be grabbing elements from a lot of different games. Like a little of TR with a little of Uncharted with a little of Arkham with a little of Far Cry 3. Though people seem to think it makes a fun whole. And I like all of those games. It's tracking at an 87 on Metacritic for whatever that is worth.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Miraculous Kaydybug Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:26 pm

Yeah im getting it on PS3 so we'll have to try the MP sometime. Maybe it wont be half bad.

I haven't read any reviews but from what you said it sounds to be about what I was expecting. I didn't think it would be that original (what is these days), but it would still be a lot of fun. I like that it sounds to be more action-oriented myself cause the combat looks like a blast. Only 8 more days!
Miraculous Kaydybug
Miraculous Kaydybug

Back to top Go down

Post by Miraculous Kaydybug Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:51 pm

Here's a link were you can listen to entire soundtrack for the game, but it wont let you download without paying unfortunately. http://music.aol.com/new-releases-full-cds/#/3 It's pretty damn good.
Miraculous Kaydybug
Miraculous Kaydybug

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:22 am

Only listened to the first track (I'd rather hear the rest in game), but it sounds good and Tomb Raider-y. Thanks for posting.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:47 pm

I finally pre-ordered today. CE for PS3 at Best Buy. Pre-order bonuses include a 48-page comic book, some skin and a shanty town multiplayer map. The wait is just fucking killing me now.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Miraculous Kaydybug Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:12 pm

I got it at gamestop so I'm getting the shanty town thing, and an extra tomb in the single player. hopefully the weekend goes by fast.
Miraculous Kaydybug
Miraculous Kaydybug

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:07 am

Ahhh.... so close now. Hey Kay, looking forward to chatting about this here with you, but if you can keep any big location, enemy or story spoilers out of here for now or spoiler tag them, that'd be great.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:44 pm

My % says 27 and I'm going to give some brief impressions. I love the island and the atmosphere and the graphics make for for a really beautiful place to look at. The history of the island seems pretty neat. Lara is cool too to me and looks great.

I wish platforming was tougher. It is simply too easy. Not just in a jumps are too easy sort of way. I think it needs some hazards/traps like the recent games had. Make timing important at least. And make it harder to find your way around. The couple of optional puzzles I have enjoyed and I wish they would have put some more on the main path. If they are afraid of scaring off some folks that don't like to think by putting them on the critical path, I figure that is what that survival instinct is for. Or you know don't be afraid to make gamers think. It's a Tomb Raider game. They are supposed to.

I still think it is fun to jump around and explore environments. I'm also someone who generally likes collecting stuff. Why they would make one collectible reveal the location of others I don't know. I just try and never look at the map if I get the locator thing unlocked. Didn't realize you could turn those icons off. Nevermind!

I think the balance has been alright in that I don't think I've fought that many enemies yet. If people were worried about it being a cinematic action game only, it is not. Exploration outweighs combat so far. Encounters aren't very long usually. But it is still more than in the old games. But the combat is also better than the old games. I think the auto cover system works well and the bow is a lot of fun to use.

I am having a lot of fun so far, but there are definitely some things I wish were different. I really need to play more before I say anything definitively on any of this stuff though.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Miraculous Kaydybug Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:55 am

My % is about 60 or something like that. I practically spent the entire day playing it. Probably 12-13 hours haha (think im nearing the end). I absolutely love it. Combat (its auto cover is probably the best cover system ever imo the upgrades you can get are really neat too), platforming, exploring everything's done really well, and as far as the balance it keeps things paced well through out most of what I've played. Though the combat does pick up a bit in some areas. For the most part it's reminded me of kind of a mix of Uncharted and Metroid which was exactly what i wanted personally.

My only real complaints are the story itself is kind of weak, though the atmosphere and characters more than make up for it. The QTE's are kind of lame at times, and i ran into a glitch that made an enemy invincible though restarting the last checkpoint cleared it up
Miraculous Kaydybug
Miraculous Kaydybug

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:15 am

I played some more. I think I'm at 40%. My only complaints seem to be what it isn't as a fan of the series. I can't shake the feeling it is just too easy. Like dying during platforming is impossible almost. At least in the hubs there are some moments where you have to figure out how to get to certain places. And puzzles are still pretty seldom. There are some little stupid things I love about the series I wish were there but because of the story I could see them not making sense and hopefully adding them to the sequel, so I wouldn't complain much about them.

Like just looking at it as a game, it's great. I don't think I'd complain too much save some of the QTE's I guess, but I just don't like QTEs. It really is a wonderful game. Ah... you know how it is to be a fan of a series. You expect certain things, so those are the little stuff bothering me. I think it is great otherwise.

I do love the auto cover system. It feels really smooth and some of the upgrades have made combat a lot more fun.

Also the game is pretty stunning visually. Really great art direction I feel.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Miraculous Kaydybug Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:04 pm

I REALLY don't like how the button prompts are for the QTEs at least the green ones. I missed them so many times until i figured out they always had you press triangle lol.

I'm pretty glad this is my entry into the series cause it really is like one of my favorite games this gen (unless somehow it gets really bad at the end which I highly doubt) and I don't really want certain expectations of what the series should be to get in the way of it. That said it makes me interested in how I'll view DmC when i finally get around to it.

Though i am curious as to how the other games were probably will pick up the HD collection sometime eventually
Miraculous Kaydybug
Miraculous Kaydybug

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:40 pm

I had the same issue with the triangle QTEs before I realized it was always triangle. I also thought at first you had to hit it when it reached the little circle, but that is when it went away! Oops. Killed Lara liked three times on the first one of those.

Also I'm not even saying the other games are better necessarily. I definitely think this is a better overall game than Underworld and Legend so far. I just think it could be even better. The platforming is growing on me though in the more open hubs. This game handles that better than most games with open regions like that. There are multiple paths, but you can't just go anywhere like in AC or Infamous, so you still have a bit of figuring out where to go. And it makes for big regions to explore.

What would make the game better is basically have stuff that is in the optional Tombs on the critical path. For instance the two tombs in the Shanty town or the earlier one with the wind. They make you think about how to traverse the areas and have a puzzle element to them. They're short, but a good example of the stuff I'd like more of. If the game's linear sections had more stuff like that, this game would be even better I think. And well just having more tombs on the main path wouldn't hurt. More basic traversal moves too. I think that last one is something they would add in a sequel since they did over the course of the last trilogy. I do think its good they make you hit a button to use your climbing axe and do wall scrambles. Could have easily made those auto and they add a bit more depth to the climbing/platforming.

Do you enjoy the optional tombs Kay? I feel like people would really generally enjoy it if there was more of that type of stuff even if they don't know there should be more of it so to speak.

I think the enemy AI kind of stinks too, but the combat is still by far the best in the series and it gets more fun when you get some upgrades.

Anyway, I am really loving the game. I just happen to be focusing on the negatives here or what could make it even better I guess. Everything else I really like. Lara, the island, the way the level design seems to wrap itself around on itself, the combo of linear and non-linear sections (my favorite type of level structure), the gear-gating/new ability system, the island itself and the atmosphere. Graphics and music. All great.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Miraculous Kaydybug Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:33 pm

I beat it today, and it's pretty much my favorite action/adventure game this gen. It's great from start to finish there really are no parts of it that i didnt enjoy. Really like the level design, combat, pretty much everything. Except yeah the QTE's are just weird that circle thing threw me off so fucking much.

The optional tombs are great, i especially like the one with a name flooded something. It's near the end of the game thought how it made you solve its puzzle was great I literally squealed when i solved it haha. Haven't found the one i got with the gamestop preorder yet though.

Starting over on hard now, still afraid to play the MP. Evidently it plays nothing like the main game. Which is a shame because i think this game has some of the best 3rd person shooting ever.
Miraculous Kaydybug
Miraculous Kaydybug

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:09 am

I am rather impressed with just how many weapon upgrades there are. They just keep coming and I seem to have quite a few to go. Really keeps the combat fresh. The bow is so cool. It's not just a traditional weapon, but a Zelda-like multi-purpose tool. The platforming actually improves to as you get more abilities. I also played that flooded tomb you mentioned and it was in fact rad.

The level structure is so cool. You have this great combination of linear and open levels. Level structures that combine these two are always my favorites (like the Jak games). And I love that you seem to kind of wrap back around to old areas at times. The one even had quite a few changes the one time I went back. It felt kind of new that way.

The more I play, the more I love this game. I would have played more, but that glitch I ran into made me need to call it a night.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Miraculous Kaydybug Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:28 am

There's a ton of weapon upgrades, and they get even better when you get the higher levels of each weapon too. You have a ridiculous number of options by the end game it's awesome. It's pacing and progression (in terms of everything) are some of the best I've ever seen in a game.

That Flooded Tomb was my favorite puzzle in the entire game it took forever to solve but goddammit when i got it it felt amazing. Still want to see what the DLC one i got is like. I should look and see where it's supposed to be in the game.

One thing I'd really like though is higher difficulty levels. I really love its combat and wish it had more than just easy, normal, and hard (unless it does and I just haven't unlocked it yet). Maybe they could patch one in like RE6 did.

Hope we hear more about the DLC that I heard was announced at E3 cause I really want more of this game.
Miraculous Kaydybug
Miraculous Kaydybug

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:14 am

There is no higher difficulty other than hard from what I've read. And I hear hard is pretty easy too (would you agree?). This game's biggest misstep is definitely how easy it is. The puzzles, the platforming, the combat. It seems really hard to fail. I have died rarely outside of QTEs. That needs to be a big priority in the sequel. Make it challenging.

I wish I had more time to play today. About 75% in I guess. Apparently I finished all the optional tombs. Only 7 I think... bah!. Should have been more. They each take like 2 minutes.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Miraculous Kaydybug Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:37 am

Yeah hard's challenging enough, but i wouldn't call it difficult. I mainly die when I'm messing around being stupid. I really love the combat in this game though so many options (i think that's one of the reasons its so easy since theres so many things you can do in any given situation) Hopefully there's a patch that gives us a very hard, hell I'd even buy it as paid DLC tbh. The game's still great though second playthrough is just as awesome as the first. I'll probably wait to get all the collectibles till my 3rd or 4th just to have more of an excuse to play it again haha

7 tombs sounds about right i think there seems to be one in each major area and theres about that many of those. Do wish there was more or at least some where longer. Though the first try on a few of them can take like 10-20 minutes to figure out i guess. Still no idea where the DLC on i got is lol

Miraculous Kaydybug
Miraculous Kaydybug

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:41 pm

Instead of just posting one long ridiculous post, I will just give some impressions here and there about various elements of the game. Starting with the story and characters.

I really love what they have done with Lara. Her character is great. The story was alright. I really like the background of the island and they did a good job of fleshing it out via the various journals and stuff. It did feel a little reminiscent of LOST. This game in general was not shy about pilfering stuff from other sources, but that isn't terrible unto itself.

This next bit has spoilers for the end of the game:
Spoiler:

Story isn't something that is a big deal to me in a TR game, but I can appreciate them trying to do more with it. The presentation and graphics are very spectacular and make for a beautiful game to look at and fun to watch the scenes regardless of how they go. Can't say enough good things about the graphics and art. Looked spectacular.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:29 pm

I'll throw a little combat in here too and tackle the platforming and puzzles later.

Definitely better than previous TR games. Mechanically it is pretty sound. The cover system works well. I love the bow. And the upgrades keep the combat interesting throughout. And stealth is actually handled quite well. I think the enemy AI needs work. The difficulty doesn't bug me as much here as it does with the platforming and puzzles (though it should be tougher still), but I think smarter AI would go a long way. Maybe more enemy types as well.
Spoiler:

There were a couple really interesting scenarios in the game that I wish they would have done more with. The early one against the wolves (not in the trap) was cool. Maybe it was because I was underpowered at the time. Maybe it was because you can't just take cover, but it was one of the few times I was worried in combat and it felt cool. The other one was in this dark forest where there were enemies roaming with flashlights and you can just sort of sneak around and take them out at your pace and however you like. In this regard, I wish some of the areas where you fought enemies were bigger with more options to approach them like this. That is something I'd look at in the sequel if I were Crystal Dynamics.

I'd still shift the balance away from it though despite it being quite good. It was probably 50/50 between action and adventure, but it should shift back towards its adventure roots with the sequel (I imagine you won't feel the same Kay!). That assumes they will rev up the difficulty of that side of things.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Miraculous Kaydybug Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:07 am

Yeah the games not terribly original but that really doesn't even matter cause in a lot of things it ends up doing just as good or better imo. Didn't have a problem with the story either it was some giant cliche but it was more about what Lara was doing and her character than the actual story arc and both them were done extremely well.

The combat was really my favorite part of the game. Though moreso the stealth. That part in the dark forest was just brilliant and its right after you can get the silencer for the handgun. Taking out those fuckers without getting caught was great, but it needs more than 3 difficulty settings they need to fix that with a patch or dlc seriously. It gets especially easy when you have all the upgrades on your guns (especially the pistol fully upgraded that thing fires as fast as the rifle whilst dealing more damage. It felt really OPed even on hard.)

As for the platforming I was completely fine with it. I dunno i just liked that it was about searching around and stuff you're right there wasn't much challenge, but I still had a lot of fun doing it. It was more about making Lara do ridiculous jumps and climbs than challenging the player and i was okay with that.

The puzzles were really creative, my only real complaint is it need more of them especially the optional tombs.

And as far as the balance yeah i don't agree. I think it was balanced perfectly between everything, and it's pacing is amazing, but i don't know what the other games are like so i think that factors into it too.

EDIT: oh and one more slightly personal note. It's not really a big spoiler but i thought id tag it as such in any case.

Spoiler:
Miraculous Kaydybug
Miraculous Kaydybug

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next