The Play Station
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Top 5 Gaming Goals For 2018 (with 2016 and 2017 also mixed in)
by BretBaber Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:47 pm

» Now Playing
by volvocrusher Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:27 pm

» General TV Show Discussion
by volvocrusher Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:48 pm

» First Half of 2018 Questionnaire (GotY So Far, etc.)
by volvocrusher Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:35 pm

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Movies You've Watched Recently

+18
Rainjar
chocobot
Motinator
TripOpt55
ajapam
BretBaber
Methane_Max
pspiddy
Captain N
Nephilimi
AlexC-25
Krubixcube
Keith_Games
volvocrusher
avidacridjam
b.b.hagen
Bannen
TheMatt
22 posters

Page 18 of 34 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 26 ... 34  Next

Go down

Movies You've Watched Recently - Page 18 Empty Re: Movies You've Watched Recently

Post by BretBaber Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:31 am

Studio Ghibli movies aren't on netflix are they? I'd love to watch them, but not for the price they sell them for.
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

Movies You've Watched Recently - Page 18 Empty Re: Movies You've Watched Recently

Post by Krubixcube Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:58 am

I have no idea, actually. It seems like they should be, but I don't even understand Netflix's shitty streaming service. The new one really was fantastic though. The new Miyazaki film was interesting more in light of knowing the guy's entire work and kind of seeing his mind pour out in a very personal way. But this movie was...great. The animation, as I said was superb, but it just put a very human twist on an old fairy tale.

The kaguya hime myth is pretty...faithfully recreated but it definitely adds this human dimension to it along with a very deep and respectful look at ancient Japanese culture. Man...I can't stop thinking about it. Of the movies I've seen in 2013 (which admittedly isn't a lot) this one has left the biggest impression so far.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Rainjar Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:43 pm

One of the main characters in the new Studio Ghibli movie is voiced by Hideaki Anno, creator of Evangelion. It's really the only reason why I'm going to watch it, but judging from what Krubix said I should check out the other movies first too incase it ends up being Miyazaki's Paprika.
Rainjar
Rainjar
Volgin's Hand on my Crotch

http://myanimelist.net/profile/Rainjar

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:37 pm

That would be Kaze Tachinu, and I don't know if and when that one's going to get a US release and likely they'll dub it when they do. It's good, but I wouldn't recommend it as an introduction to Miyazaki or Ghibli.

Probably aren't any trailers out for it, and this is less of a trailer and more just...some scenes but you can probably see why I'm at least gushing over the animation:

Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by avidacridjam Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:39 pm

Good to hear the positive report on The Wind Rises. Watching the trailer is heart-breaking because it hammers home the point that this is Miyazaki's last film.
avidacridjam
avidacridjam
Beary Bad Joker

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by volvocrusher Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:55 pm

No real thread to put this, but what do you guys think of Amazing Spiderman setting up the Sinister Six?
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Motinator Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:16 am

volvocrusher wrote:No real thread to put this, but what do you guys think of Amazing Spiderman setting up the Sinister Six?

Are you talking about the trailer with Doc's arms, Vulture's wings, etc...? Sony Pictures wants their piece of the multi-hero universe, except the closest thing they can do is multi-spidey-villian?
Motinator
Motinator
Has a Bad Case of Headcrabs

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:25 am

There's also the six doors opening. If you take the three villains teased in ASM2 with Lizard (who could very easily be injected with serum by one of the Osbornes and go insane again), Doc Ock, and Vulture that makes six. I'm pretty excited for it even if ASM is far from a perfect version of Spiderman. I still really liked it, but it was flawed.
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:33 am

There was things to like about the first movie and things not to like. It was always an uphill battle since the first two Spider-Man movies were so good.
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain N Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:20 am

volvocrusher wrote:No real thread to put this, but what do you guys think of Amazing Spiderman setting up the Sinister Six?

Yes and if it does, that will be awesome.
Captain N
Captain N

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain N Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:25 am

So me and my little bro have been watching some of the older Godzilla movies lately. He's turning into quite the Godzilla fan.
Captain N
Captain N

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:41 pm

Captain N wrote:

Yes and if it does, that will be awesome.

Not really an if the way they set up that trailer.
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by avidacridjam Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:47 am

Yep, I'm definitely slacking. It's been a busy week.
avidacridjam
avidacridjam
Beary Bad Joker

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:05 am

I've been in Japan so my access to movies has dropped significantly. Also...I'm not in Japan anymore. I watched 3 movies on the plane:

1. Elysium - Some good action and effects but god, it was black and white to the point of laughability. And they didn't really ever have any downtime to actually show the social issues they were constructing. A lot of the same pacing issues as District 9 in that sense, except at least District 9 had that cool first half.

2. Mr. Smith Goes to Washington - Man...James Stewart was quite an actor. Not an amazing film though. Some awesome moments.

3. Iron Man 3 - Just...meh. Meh on all levels. The tone was just all over the place. Ben Kingsley's reveal as actor man was...shit. Do the suits even have rules anymore? (I thought Tony's arc reactor powered them? If they AI can pilot them so effectively, why even bother having anyone in them?). I don't see why people were gushing over this, I just saw it as...not...great. Maybe I was just grumpy from not sleeping for 15 hours (more? I don't know).
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:55 pm

Maybe that's what bugged me. I was never super into comics growing up so I feel like a lot of the references in the film aren't FOR me, it's just something outside my realm of expertise.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by avidacridjam Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:28 am

I'm a huge fan of Shane Black's writing (Lethal Weapon, Last Boy Scout, Kiss Kiss Bang Bang) so I loved the odd turns he took with Iron Man 3. Its a more interesting character arc for Tony Stark. The approach with the Mandarin was a clever jab at mass media and how it captures terrorism.

No movies seen yet but I did rebuy Speed Racer, The Dark Knight and Inception on blu-ray. All of them favs, especially Speed Racer.

Last edited by avidacridjam on Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:16 am; edited 1 time in total
avidacridjam
avidacridjam
Beary Bad Joker

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:06 am

Anchorman 2 was great. Brick continues to be so damn brilliantly stupid.
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Rainjar Wed Dec 25, 2013 2:05 pm

Slowpoke train has arrived once again. Toy Story 3 was on TV so me and mum watched it for the first time. Surprisingly, after all the hype about how emotional it was meant to be, even I had some major tears in my eyes at parts. Really enjoyed that film, was fantastic.
Rainjar
Rainjar

http://myanimelist.net/profile/Rainjar

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMatt Wed Dec 25, 2013 11:42 pm

Just watched The Way, Way Back. I really enjoyed it. One of my favorites this year for sure. I highly recommend it!
TheMatt
TheMatt
Cigar-chomping Dirty Old Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:35 am

Saw American Hustle...some amazing performances and some amazingly funny moments but something didn't come together entirely for me. It was one of those movies where I thought "there's likely someone who will absolutely adore this movie, but I'm not it" And I don't say that in a snarky way, it was very good, just not necessarily my thing.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by avidacridjam Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:38 am

I got Pacific Rim for a gift so I watched the film with Guillermo Del Toro's commentary. His commentary tracks are always amazing and this one made me appreciate the movie even more.

Pspiddy, you did give it another shot. Phantom Menace comparison remark aside (dude, really?), I won't hold it against you. Not so sure about Greenman...
avidacridjam
avidacridjam
Beary Bad Joker

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:12 pm

Nah, I got nothing against it either. I don't understand PM comparison either, but I get why people would really dislike it. I still love that movie though.
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:55 pm

I'm like that with Pacific Rim in that I enjoyed it but I didn't love it...and I love over the top.

Some video I was watching was going thorugh the film and it got to that flashback scene with the Japanese girl and was like "...actually, this scene is awesome. Why isn't the rest of the movie like this?" and I thought that too. There were moments of brilliance in it, but overall I just couldn't love it as much as you guys did. And i"m like spiddy, I generally value your guys' opinions on movies (despite it maybe not seeming that way).
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 18 of 34 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 26 ... 34  Next