The Play Station
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Top 5 Gaming Goals For 2018 (with 2016 and 2017 also mixed in)
by BretBaber Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:47 pm

» Now Playing
by volvocrusher Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:27 pm

» General TV Show Discussion
by volvocrusher Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:48 pm

» First Half of 2018 Questionnaire (GotY So Far, etc.)
by volvocrusher Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:35 pm

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Gaming Chat Thread

+4
TripOpt55
TheMatt
SanAndreasX
avidacridjam
8 posters

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Go down

Gaming Chat Thread - Page 6 Empty Re: Gaming Chat Thread

Post by BretBaber Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:12 am

I plan on buying a Switch someday, but I kind of want to start buying things for it now so that way it isn't such financial hit when I do get one. The Pro controller in on sale for $50 right now, but I see the wired Hori Pad controller looks almost exactly the same and is almost $20 and has good reviews. Anyone on here use or try both and could give me some feedback?
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:51 pm

The Hori pad doesn't have close to as good a D-pad because it's detachable. The buttons also feel worse on the Hori pad, they're fine just not as good as Nintendo's. And the sticks feel buttery smooth on Nintendo's. Another thing is that controller is wired and has no motion sensors. Which actually does matter for Breath of the Wild, and Mario Odyssey. Their motion segments or mechanics are small and don't ruin the experience, but they're there. Really the only thing better about Hori's is the turbo button.

What you get is still functional, but the Switch is worth that extra $30 just for wireless and a good D-pad alone. The second is the main reason to get a non-Joycon controller.
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:49 pm

Well since those two games you mentioned are two of the three games I'll get when I get one I guess I better stay away from those. It'll be a while until I get one, but the games I want I know won't ever really drop in price because that's just what Nintendo does. I'll either get one when a new model comes out or I run out of PS4 games to play, whichever comes first.

Thanks for the info!
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:33 am

I got 800 points on my Wii and wondering which game I should buy? I don't really want to get a Super Nintendo game and have 200 points leftover, I think I'd rather just add 200 points and get a N64 game or two Nintendo games.

I'm thinking Paper Mario or Yoshi's Story or Mario 64. If any of those games are easily available on the 3DS I don't really want them then. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Off the top of my head I own these games on the Wii...

Super Mario 3 and Super Mario World
Super Mariokart and Mariokart 64
Ocarina of Time (don't want Majora's Mask, I own it for 3DS)
A Link to the Past
Super Mario RPG
Punchout
Blades of Steel
Ninja Gaiden

Is Yoshi's Story for Super Nintendo on there?
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:22 pm

Yoshi's Story was a Nintendo 64 game, and not a very good one. Yoshi's Island is not on the Wii VC, it's on the Wii U one. Also Super Nintendo games are 800 points and I think you add points $5 at a time (don't quote me on that last one, might be getting it confused with PSN). If you want an N64 game, I'd recommend Paper Mario because it's not really on anything else and is a good RPG. If you want SNES recommendations, it has a better version of Final Fantasy VI than you can get on PS or mobile, Final Fantasy Mystic Quest which I hear isn't the best game, but it's only on Wii VC, and Donkey Kong Country 2 is one of its best 2D platformers.
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:58 pm

Yeah, I meant Yoshi's Island. I definitely would have gotten that if it was available since Super Mario World is my favorite Mario game and I'm sure it has similar vibes to that. For some reason I never played it.

I thought NES games were 500 points, SNES 600, and 64 was 1000?

I'd get Final Fantasy VI but I already played and beat that game, and if I ever play again it would just be on my Vita because the longer load times really don't bother me that much.

I wish I could just transfer my funds to my 3DS, there's lots I want on there.
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:48 am

No, Turbographx-16 games were 600 while SNES/Genesis games have always been 800.
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:33 pm

That sucks I can't add just 200 points too, because then I'd have 300 leftover that would piss me off. It'll probably be a Super Nintendo game. Zoinks!
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:44 pm

Well the 500 part I'm unsure on I might be confusing it with PSN which I know does that
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:56 am

Is anyone here who didn't try Bloodborne going to give it a shot since it's on PSN this month?

Is there even anyone here who didn't play it in the first place?
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:59 am

Me!
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

http://thetripleoption.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:25 am

I haven't played it, still not sure if I'll try it.
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:10 pm

I mean, not having to put in a disc anymore will probably lead to me playing it more. I love that game so much.
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:40 pm

Bloodborne is in my top 5 of all time, and this was coming from someone that was (and still is) pretty lukewarm on the rest of the Souls series.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:12 pm

I keep flip flopping on whether I like BB or Dark Souls 1 more. Both are great in similar and unique ways, BB has better combat, but then I'll miss Dark Souls' loot and larger focus on stat building. I usually give the edge to BB because I love its art direction though.
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by ajapam Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:21 pm

I traded in my disc copy for $10 because of this. I never got past the first boss to be honest, so I'm practically a new player. Frankly I find the boss genuinely unfair so I gave up, but I'll get him one day.

I doubt it'll top DS1 for me. I might say it's better than 2 but, well, I have to be able to play it. I wish it was on PC so I could admire the art-design more
ajapam
ajapam
Jill Sandwich

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:46 pm

If I try it I'll wait until I'm done with Ni no Kuni 2 and God of War. Those will leave me with a lot of things to do that aren't as frustrating. One question for those that have played it, is it Ninja Gaiden hard? I wanted to like that game but I was like "Nope, not signing up for this bull shit."

I really like Super Mario Galaxy 2 a lot, but one thing I don't like about it is that I have to collect so many stars to get to the boss stage. 34 year old Bret don't have time for this shit.
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:09 am

Bloodborne is a different kind of challenge. It's more about learning how to approach areas than mastering the controls like Ninja Gaiden. Say for instance you reach a large area and attack a bunch of enemies then die. The next time you take an angle that lets you hit a bunch of them at once or let's you take the most difficult opponent one on one before fighting the rest. Your reflexes will get better too, but rethinking your approach is the bread and butter of the difficulty
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:43 pm

Hori is finally making a D-Pad Joycon for the Switch. Sounds like it will be out this summer.
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:06 pm

People with Switch, send me your friend codes or whatever because Nintendo still doesn't let you just add usernames?

Mine is: SW-0416-7762-3414
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:45 pm

So anyone have thoughts on these PS5 rumors? I can't imagine Sony would launch it this year, but they've made dumber moves than that. It feels like this gen has just started really amping up last year and a brand new console would halt that momentum. 2019 even feels too early even though a six year cycle was once saved only for consoles companies really didn't want to drop (NES, Genesis, PS2), but after the 7th gen I'm not sure if people can go back to a 5 year cycle. 2020 though I could see especially if developers are getting kits now, to give them a good amount of time to make games.
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Tue May 01, 2018 10:50 pm

I really don't think the PS5 will come out this year. 2019 or 2020 would be fine. Six years between console launches is good. The PS3 and 360 were really outside the norm. And third-parties wanted new hardware sooner than they got it that time. So I'd guess Fall 2019 for PS5.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Thu May 03, 2018 2:56 pm

I'm a bit curious though with these mid console refreshes. If it weren't for those a PS5 next year would be the perfect time, but we might see a compromise where PS4 vanilla games might have more compromised visuals or performance compared to the Pro in exchange for being out an extra year. There's just a generation where the idea of console cycles being as short as six years is as foreign to them as a controller without a D-Pad is to us, they might expect 7 years now.

Personally I'd be fine with a PS5 in 2019 as long as it's a significant step up from the Pro and XB1X. Make them seem as weak as the PS3/360 made the Wii seem. Also give us controllers with 20+ hours of battery life and a better interface/online speeds. Xbox meanwhile I think is going to commit to this whole phone model plan, where you upgrade rather than start anew each gen, especially since they seem committed to get as much of the past console games on their software as possible.
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Tue May 08, 2018 12:37 pm

So with Nintendo's online strategy, it sucks anytime when we have to pay for online, but that family sharing plan is a great idea that I hope Sony and MS have no choice but to implement. $20 is a fairly easy pill to swallow, but I've got at least two buds who will be in on it, so paying less than $12 is no big deal at all. I could even go as low as $5 and guarantee I'll buy enough games on discount I would have jumped on anyways to justify that. Cloud saves and NES games with online are just icing on the cake.

But the thing with the NES is, I really don't like is how they're handling Virtual Console. I should be able to transfer anything I bought on Wii U or 3DS over. If it takes time to get all those games on there, fine, but just having 20 NES games 2 years in is a dick move. I know they'll be dicks with SNES, Gameboy, and N64 games too when those come around. Online multiplayer is a nice touch, but I'd rather just play the games I already bought and buy new ones at my own discretion.
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Wed May 09, 2018 10:46 pm

Yeah...the virtual console thing does seem like a bit of a cash grab. I have a few virtual console games I'd love to transfer to the Switch.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Wed May 09, 2018 10:46 pm

I just think Nintendo needs to show they have any sort of competence in the online area before they start charging for it. Like have a way to chat right on the system instead of just through an app on a separate device. Maybe have your flagship shooter run at a higher tick-rate especially since you want to push it in the competitive scene. And while I realize Sony also puts Cloud saves behind their paywall (which is already a little lame to be honest), it feels much shadier to put them behind a paywall when there is no other way to back up your saves like on Switch. I guess I'll give them credit for not having the audacity to charge what Gold does for what looks to be a vastly inferior service though.

If I'm enjoying Mario Kart or Splatoon or whatever else a lot still when they start charging I will pay for it I guess just like I do PS+ in spite of my reservations there. But it likely won't be because I'm impressed with their service or its value.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6