The Play Station
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Top 5 Gaming Goals For 2018 (with 2016 and 2017 also mixed in)
by BretBaber Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:47 pm

» Now Playing
by volvocrusher Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:27 pm

» General TV Show Discussion
by volvocrusher Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:48 pm

» First Half of 2018 Questionnaire (GotY So Far, etc.)
by volvocrusher Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:35 pm

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

It's The Little Things In Video Games

+6
avidacridjam
Krubixcube
volvocrusher
BretBaber
pspiddy
Rainjar
10 posters

Go down

It's The Little Things In Video Games Empty It's The Little Things In Video Games

Post by Rainjar Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:17 pm

Couldn't find one so I thought a thread about small details you occasionally find in games that put a smile on your face would be nice. Anything from tiny movements in animations to a way boss fights are structured, it's all valid. Also it was because Krubix is probably going to kill me if he comes on here and finds me doing nothing but complaining about video games again.

One thing I love after finishing a game is at the end of the credits it comes up with "Thank you for playing" or anything along those lines. Something about it always adds a nice touch of character and care to the game overall for me. The way the Persona games and Catherine say "Well, have fun and enjoy the game" at the start after picking a difficulty made me smile every time too.
Rainjar
Rainjar
Volgin's Hand on my Crotch

http://myanimelist.net/profile/Rainjar

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

It's The Little Things In Video Games Empty Re: It's The Little Things In Video Games

Post by BretBaber Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:17 am

I love all of the Apple products in MGS4. I especially love how you find tracks and you can build up your own collection to use on an iPod classic. Brilliant.
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

It's The Little Things In Video Games Empty Re: It's The Little Things In Video Games

Post by volvocrusher Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:32 am

Bioware games are full of this stuff for me. Like a human throwing a bachelor party for a Salarian in ME2 even though the Salarian's explaining he doesn't get horny like humans do or how your companions will occasionally have conversations in Kotor or ME.
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:52 am

Good topic.

Idle animations is something I tend to notice especially for NPCs. You will think I'm picking a fight with this but I promise I'm not but I liked how Elizabeth in Infinite was programmed to go look at shit and react in the environment. For some reason when characters and party members just latch on to you like they're part of a human train (think FFVIII) it gets under my skin so when I see stuff like Ni No Kuni where the characters lag a little bit (at least in towns) or go off and do their own thing I think it's cool.

Also satisfying level up noises.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by avidacridjam Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:48 am

I love how races in F-Zero start, with the camera zooming in from a bird's-eye view and that rising music cue.
avidacridjam
avidacridjam
Beary Bad Joker

Back to top Go down

Post by ajapam Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:56 am

On animations: I love how there are little folds on the ground in Tearaway that flatten out when you step on them.

There's also nothing better than a good feeling shotgun. You know, the ones that go beyond simply BEING powerful to make you feel like a badass every time you use it.

In modern indie games, I like to get the feeling that the developer actually likes videogames. A game doesn't have to be "fun" to be enjoyable but when it feels like the creators are ashamed of videogames (Dear Esther) there's no way to enjoy it. It applies to games that are overly cinematic, too
ajapam
ajapam
Jill Sandwich

Back to top Go down

Post by Rainjar Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:40 pm

One really simple thing I really like is when you're going up stairs and if you look your character actually has their feet on each step and not just some slope.

Games where the first boss just becomes a regular enemy later on always get me hyped as fuck, as do games where you fight a recurring boss all the way to the end.

ajapam wrote:
There's also nothing better than a good feeling shotgun. You know, the ones that go beyond simply BEING powerful to make you feel like a badass every time you use it.

It's The Little Things In Video Games Untitled-19ejkf

Landing a solid hit with one of these was the most satisfying fucking thing in any shooter ever. Most if not all the Killzone 2 guns had such an amazing feeling.
Rainjar
Rainjar

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:40 pm

I can't think of any gaming-wide ones more just specific ones. I like the sound effects when sneaking in Sly. I like how animals are combos of different earth ones in the Jak games (it makes it fun to see which would pop up next). Pulling your self up a ledge with a handstand in Tomb Raider or doing tumbles and stuff down long hallways.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

http://thetripleoption.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:40 pm

I like when FIFA gets goal celebrations right for players.
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

Post by Motinator Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:30 am

pspiddy wrote: My favorite is probably Ratchet when you try and make him do something he doesn't want to do. The animator really captured his dickish attitude. He looks obstinate and full of contempt. Like, "what the hell are you doing, idiot"?

I think I've missed out on this. Can you give an example?
Motinator
Motinator
Has a Bad Case of Headcrabs

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:25 pm

The different animations after beating a castle in Super Mario World.
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by Waggy Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:04 am

I really like how when you finished your drink in Catherine, it gave you a little bit of trivia about the drink you had just finished. It was a really neat little thing.

Besides that, I also really like having a regular place to frequently return to. It's even better if you can then talk with the party. It was one of my favourite things in Dragon Age: Origins.
Waggy
Waggy
Sand Thrower

Back to top Go down

Post by Rainjar Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:03 pm

Having all your abilities and equipment just completely taken away from you suddenly is pretty damn awesome if it's done right. Suddenly having to rely on raw ability and going back to basics, using the knowledge you've gained to proceed instead of gadgets or OP as fuck weapons is really satisfying.

Waggy wrote:
Besides that, I also really like having a regular place to frequently return to. It's even better if you can then talk with the party. It was one of my favourite things in Dragon Age: Origins.

What's even better if that safe place ends up being changed or massively destroyed at some part in the game. Always makes it feel like shit got really serious.
Rainjar
Rainjar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down