The Play Station
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Top 5 Gaming Goals For 2018 (with 2016 and 2017 also mixed in)
by BretBaber Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:47 pm

» Now Playing
by volvocrusher Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:27 pm

» General TV Show Discussion
by volvocrusher Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:48 pm

» First Half of 2018 Questionnaire (GotY So Far, etc.)
by volvocrusher Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:35 pm

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Top Five Tuesday l Favorite Systems

+9
SanAndreasX
TripOpt55
pspiddy
ajapam
BretBaber
avidacridjam
Krubixcube
Miraculous Kaydybug
volvocrusher
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Top Five Tuesday l Favorite Systems Empty Top Five Tuesday l Favorite Systems

Post by volvocrusher Wed May 29, 2013 3:18 am

Should be self explanatory. And yes, portables and PC will count towards this.
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Top Five Tuesday l Favorite Systems Empty Re: Top Five Tuesday l Favorite Systems

Post by Miraculous Kaydybug Wed May 29, 2013 3:25 am

In terms of games or hardware? Cause my list would be very different since i hate the PS2 hardware, but it has a lot of my favorite games. The opposite could be said of the Vita.
Miraculous Kaydybug
Miraculous Kaydybug
Sees Tetris Blocks EVERYWHERE

http://gunstabwounds.tumblr.com/stabs

Back to top Go down

Top Five Tuesday l Favorite Systems Empty Re: Top Five Tuesday l Favorite Systems

Post by volvocrusher Wed May 29, 2013 3:27 am

I meant it based off their game library. Multiplatform games are fine to be counted, just don't put something from a past gen that got added later on. Guess it wasn't as obvious as I thought.
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Wed May 29, 2013 5:35 am

1. Playstation 1 - the heyday of JRPGs, MGS, Tekken 3...'nuff said.
2. Playstation 2 - The game library was just so...good. Even as the next gen started it was still going strong.
3. PC - I grew up with a PC instead of a SNES and more and more consoles are just turning into PCs anyway. I love my gaming PCs.
4. N64 - I could never OWN many of the games but I have fond memories
5. Playstation 3 - It's been a good generation...but lots of games I played on my PC to be fair. But still, it ended up cranking out some good games.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by avidacridjam Wed May 29, 2013 11:27 am

1. Super NES - Strange that I didn't play many RPGs on this system back in the day (making up for it these days) but as far as shooters, platformers and fighting games go, it was the fucking bomb. Countless great game experiences and some franchise entries for this system (Zelda, Super Mario) are the best IMO.
2. Playstation 2 - Backwards compatibility was a big thing but there were so many games it produced that were huge steps for design and innovation.
3. Xbox 360 - Somehow I dodged the RROD, otherwise I'm sure I'd reconsider this one. While I wish certain services had more to offer, the game library (and the best of the XBLA) can't be ignored. I also think it has the best controller design yet.
4. PC - I've never owned/had-access-to an actual gaming pc in the past 2 decades. Just regular, basic PCs that were strong enough to run some notable titles since the early 90's.
5. NES - Aside from the Atari 2600, it was there at the beginning and it just owned my life. A great game library and a huge selection of genres. I don't know what else I can say.
avidacridjam
avidacridjam
Beary Bad Joker

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber Wed May 29, 2013 1:31 pm

1. PS2 - Best games ever for a system. Ratchet and Clank 1-3, Metal Gear Solid 2 and 3, Final Fantasy X and XII, Dragon Quest VIII, Sly Cooper 1-3, God of War 1 and 2, Timesplitters 1-3, Dark Cloud 1 and 2, Ico, Shadow of hte Colossus... So many great games. Unbeatable.

2. PS1 - It gave me my favorite game ever (Final Fantasy VII), and some of my other favorites of all time (Metal Gear Solid and Final Fantasy IX), so it is incredibly hard to ignore for me. I remember asking for a Nintendo 64 for Christmas and getting this instead. Best disappointment ever. If I wouldn't have gotten it, I wouldn't be a gamer like I am today.

3. PS3 - Had a slow start, but the games that eventually came were just so great. Metal Gear Solid 4, Uncharted 1-3, Little Big Planet, God of War 3, Killzone 2 and 3, etc... I'm always having fun with it.

4. Super NES - Back then I used to play games when it was raining or when I didn't have friends to play outside with, but looking back it had some really great games like my favorite Mario in Super Marioworld, Final Fantasy IV, V, and VI, Tecmo Bowl 3, Ken Griffey Jr. Presents Major League Baseball, Mariokart. Just so many classics.

5. Don't really have a fifth favorite. We'll say NES but mainly just for Mario games and Final Fantasy.
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

Post by ajapam Wed May 29, 2013 2:32 pm

1. Ps2. Best games ever. Everybody owned one and it lasted well into the current generation
2. N64. Didn't have a ton of good games, but it had a handful of amazing games
3. Super Nintendo. Super Mario World, DKC2, and A Link to the Past. After playing those, I was hooked forever
4. DS. I didn't own many games but this was my favorite handheld. The touchscreen is still one of the best gimmicks on any system
5. PC. It's a pain but the extra flexibility is great

Honorable mention goes to the Ps1. for Spyro, MGS, and the start-up sound
ajapam
ajapam
Jill Sandwich

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by Miraculous Kaydybug Wed May 29, 2013 11:11 pm

PS2-all the SMT games it has, FFXII, METAL GEAR SOLID 3 Tales of the Abyss, Dark Cloud 2, Onimusha 4, etc etc most of my favorite games are on there.

Xbox (the first one not sure what to call it now)-It's pretty much what turned me from a casual to core gamer. With DoA2U KOTOR 1 and 2, Jade Empire.

N64-Most of the games i remember playing when i was growing where on here.

Gamecube-I just really like the GCN controller

PS1-Lots of RPGs here that i played after i got my PS2
Miraculous Kaydybug
Miraculous Kaydybug

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Thu May 30, 2013 12:46 am

The gamecube controller was pretty great. I didn't even own one but when I played it...yes, I enjoyed it.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Thu May 30, 2013 3:37 am

I don't really get the love for the Gamecube controller. Terrible tiny d-pad. Odd right stick. The weird Z-button only on one side. I do agree the wired one was superior to the Wavebird.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

http://thetripleoption.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Thu May 30, 2013 3:45 am

The Gamecube controller wasn't perfect for those flaws you listed. The thing I really loved about it was just how comfortable it was. PS3 and 360 are comfortable, but that thing really felt like it was made for my hands. And the games that specifically were designed around it like Metroid Prime, Resident Evil 4, and Zelda: Wind Waker (ie took advantage of that enormous A button) felt so natural.
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Thu May 30, 2013 4:06 am

I get it fits into your hands right, but I don't really like the oddly shaped face buttons either. It feels more like games were designed well around its silly designs rather than the controller was perfect for them. Not to say the PS3 (convex triggers, less ergonomic) or 360 (bad d-pad and meh shoulder buttons) controllers are perfect either, just the Cube's feels really flawed to me as well. The PS4 controller looks really great though. It's weird how long we've been working on controllers and there is always something awful about them.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Thu May 30, 2013 8:48 am

Well at least you guys aren't trying to sell me on the virtues of the 64 controller.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Thu May 30, 2013 9:21 am

As a 3 handed man, I found the 64 controller delightful.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by ajapam Thu May 30, 2013 11:15 am

The Gamecube had the most baffling right analog stick ever. What were they on when they made that?
ajapam
ajapam
Jill Sandwich

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Thu May 30, 2013 4:30 pm

It's like the forgot to finish it.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by SanAndreasX Thu May 30, 2013 11:28 pm

My favorite systems:

1. The PS1 - RPGs, RPGs, RPGs, including several of my favorite games of all time. I'm still buying PS1 games!
2. The PS2 - Wasn't quite as RPG-heavy, although it still boasted awesome games, and it had a very well-rounded library.
3. Gamecube - my favorite Nintendo system. Best Zelda games ever, plus lots of other great stuff. And yes, I loved the controller.
4. PS3 - Started slow, but it got really awesome.
5. Super NES - Good overall library.
SanAndreasX
SanAndreasX
Biotic God

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Thu May 30, 2013 11:49 pm

1. Nintendo DS- Had such an amazing library. Four main Pokemon games (three of which are my favorites in the series) and just such incredible variety. Platformers, RPGs, and sidescrollers dominated it (with a special nod to Castlevania), but I could still find something really different from everything on the market like Phoenix Wright, Kirby Canvas Curse, Elite Beat Agents, or Ninja Gaiden: Dragon Sword.
2. PS3- This is my go to system for a reason. May be too heavy on the shooters, but still offers great variety and has so many amazing games. Last year would have given the edge to 360, but since PS3 now has the first Mass Effect...
3. Super Nintendo- Peaked at launch with Super Mario World, but the rest of its life was still great. DKC2, Chrono Trigger, Super Castlevania IV, various Kirby games, the list goes on. Hell, one of my most wanted games right now is the Wii U port of Earthbound, so that should say something. Had a hard time picking between this and GBA until I realized how many GBA games of mine were SNES ports.
4. Gameboy Advance- Surprisingly Pokemon wasn't my favorite thing on this. Ruby and Sapphire were still a lot of fun, but it was Zelda, Metroid, Kirby, Mario and Wario that made me keep coming back.
5. Xbox- Kotor, Jade Empire, Halo 2, yeah, that's enough to make me like it more than the PS2. Though there were a lot of great underrated games on this thing, Jet Set Radio Future, Crimson Skies, and Panzer Dragoon Orta were really good.
Honorable mention: 360- Really nearly identical to PS3 so didn't bother to put them both on here. PS3 just got the slight edge due to slightly better exclusives
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Motinator Fri May 31, 2013 9:28 pm

PS3--I just love it. This is the only console I've had since I've had enough skill to really enjoy games properly. Plus since it's backwards compatible with PS1 and I have most of my favourite PS2 games as classics—it's all I really need.

PS2--Started most of the series that I've grown to love

PS1--Took my gaming virginity

PC--Meh, I used it to buy one of the humble bundles and I'll finish them someday when they take my PS3 away.
Motinator
Motinator
Has a Bad Case of Headcrabs

Back to top Go down

Post by SanAndreasX Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:55 pm

MotDrum wrote:PS3--I just love it. This is the only console I've had since I've had enough skill to really enjoy games properly. Plus since it's backwards compatible with PS1 and I have most of my favourite PS2 games as classics—it's all I really need.

PS2--Started most of the series that I've grown to love

PS1--Took my gaming virginity

PC--Meh, I used it to buy one of the humble bundles and I'll finish them someday when they take my PS3 away.

I thought about putting my PS3 as number one, since mine is a 60-gigger first-gen PS3, but I decided to rank my favorites based on the individual library of the systems, especially since BC got dropped from the PS3 after less than two years.
SanAndreasX
SanAndreasX
Biotic God

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:16 am

Yeah counting backwards compatibility and ports seems cheap. I don't think they should be counted towards a system's library, but what the hell do I know. We could all add the Wii in that case though which plays pretty much all the Nintendo console games we'd want probably.

These are my top three:

1. PS2
2. PS3
3. NES

After that not really sure. I'd throw Sega Genesis and PS1 in there next, but I don't feel great about it.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMatt Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:32 pm

For mine, you have to keep in mind that I owned nothing but Nintendo systems until late 2005.

1. N64- The 64 had plenty of great single player games, but to me it was all about the multiplayer. I remember spending countless hours playing Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Wayne Gretzky's 3D Hockey, Smash Bros, Mario Party... the list goes on and on. Thinking about this makes me sad, because local multiplayer is a thing of a the past these days.

2. Gamecube- I love the Gamecube. And I actually liked the Wavebird better than the wired controller. Maybe I'm weird, but I rarely used the wired ones once those came out.

3. PS3- Tons of great exclusives, all the great third-party games, downloadable games, really the PS3 has it all. I just wish they would have had all the online stuff figured out from the beginning like PS+, Trophies, etc.

4. SNES- This would be higher if I had played more of the games when they actually came out. Back then I only really got one or two new games a year, on my birthday and Christmas. I would rent games at Blockbuster every once in a while, but I didn't get to play a lot of the classics.

5. PS2- I got it really late in the game, but I still loved all the exclusives I missed out on Gamecube. For me the big three on this system are Final Fantasy XII, Shadow of the Colossus and Metal Gear Solid 3.
TheMatt
TheMatt
Cigar-chomping Dirty Old Man

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMatt Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:38 am

I like handhelds... but they don't come anywhere close for me compared to consoles. And honestly, Nintendo handhelds are really just Pokemon machines for me.
TheMatt
TheMatt
Cigar-chomping Dirty Old Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Miraculous Kaydybug Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:54 am

In terms of hardware, applications and things Vita is my favorite system ever it just doesnt have enough in its library.
Miraculous Kaydybug
Miraculous Kaydybug

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:06 am

The Gameboy Advance always seemed a bit port heavy to me. But I got into the GBA a little late in the game so probably missed some great stuff.

I loved the DS and PSP, but I guess just not enough. They might be in the mix though for 4 and 5. I'm a little unconvinced of what should be there. The Vita obviously has a software issue so far (hardware alone it is one of my favorites and definitely the best handheld). Never had an original Gameboy. I did have a Game Gear, but that didn't really light my world on fire!
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next