The Play Station
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Top 5 Gaming Goals For 2018 (with 2016 and 2017 also mixed in)
by BretBaber Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:47 pm

» Now Playing
by volvocrusher Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:27 pm

» General TV Show Discussion
by volvocrusher Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:48 pm

» First Half of 2018 Questionnaire (GotY So Far, etc.)
by volvocrusher Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:35 pm

May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

First Half of the Year Questionnaire (GotY so far and all that fun stuff)

+8
avidacridjam
Captain N
volvocrusher
pspiddy
Krubixcube
chocobot
SanAndreasX
TripOpt55
12 posters

Go down

First Half of the Year Questionnaire (GotY so far and all that fun stuff) Empty First Half of the Year Questionnaire (GotY so far and all that fun stuff)

Post by TripOpt55 Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:40 pm

Hey guys. It's just about halfway through the year and on the off chance I don't make it on here tomorrow, I figured I'd post our first half of 2013 questionnaire for everyone to dive into. Answer as many questions as you'd like. You can do lists for any of the questions below that you feel like. Explaining choices is always good too. Also feel free to debate choices with other members.

What is your Game of the Year So Far and why? Feel free to make a list if you have played enough games to do so. Maybe give mention to a favorite handheld and downloadable game too if you've played some.

What was the biggest disappointment for you in gaming this year? It could be a game, a part of a game, an announcement and so on.

What is the best game you played for the first time this year that released in a previous year and why?

What are your top five most anticipated games for the rest of 2013?

What was your favorite new movie from this year?

What was your favorite new (music) album from this year? What about favorite song?

What was your favorite TV show that aired this year so far? What about favorite episode?

Anything else from this year so far you want to mention?

Okay that will do it. have at it.

Last edited by TripOpt55 on Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

http://thetripleoption.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

First Half of the Year Questionnaire (GotY so far and all that fun stuff) Empty Re: First Half of the Year Questionnaire (GotY so far and all that fun stuff)

Post by SanAndreasX Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:16 am

TripOpt55 wrote:Hey guys. It's just about halfway through the year and on the off chance I don't make it on here tomorrow, I figured I'd post our first half of 2013 questionnaire for everyone to dive into. Answer as many questions as you'd like. You can do lists for any of the questions below that you feel like. Explaining choices is always good too. Also feel free to debate choices with other members.

What is your Game of the Year So Far and why? Feel free to make a list if you have played enough games to do so. Maybe give mention to a favorite handheld and downloadable game too if you've played some.

Ni no Kuni. This is what I'd dreamed of 7th-generation traditional RPGs being. Looks and plays great. It's been one of my favorite games the whole generation, and unless Tales of Xillia or something else turns out to be even more incredible, it's going to be my GOTY on January 1.

Runners-up so far: Bioshock Infinite, The Last of Us, Fire Emblem: Awakening

What was the biggest disappointment for you in gaming this year? It could be a game, a part of a game, an announcement and so on.

What is the best game you played for the first time this year that released in a previous year and why?

Suikoden II (PS1) - This game is one of the best PS1 RPGs, sorry I missed it back in the day.

1. Tales of Xillia
2. Dragon's Crown
3. Hatsune Miku: Project Diva f
4. Bayonetta 2 (IF it makes it out this year?)
5. The Order: 1886 (PS4)

I haven't watched any movies this year. I don't really watch movies much.

What was your favorite new (music) album from this year? What about favorite song?

Don't really know about this one.

What was your favorite TV show that aired this year so far? What about favorite episode?

Futurama "40% Leadbelly", with Futurama being the only show I really keep up with these days.

SanAndreasX
SanAndreasX
Biotic God

Back to top Go down

First Half of the Year Questionnaire (GotY so far and all that fun stuff) Empty Re: First Half of the Year Questionnaire (GotY so far and all that fun stuff)

Post by chocobot Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:09 am

SanAndreasX wrote:

1. Tales of Xillia
2. Dragon's Crown

*high fives* SanAndreas, I officially love you :D
chocobot
chocobot
Will Eat Lizard Tails to Improve Stamina

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:13 am

TripOpt55 wrote:

So far, I'd say Bioshock Infinite, but once again I haven't played too many new games this year but Bioshock really stuck out.

Suppose this is a personal one, but when I figured out the 3DS isn't regionless. I've been really enjoying the used game/hardware market over here, could easily snatch a cheap one but I want to play some of the more in depth games in English. Alas, I guess I'll just have to wait for the price to go down in 'Murikuh.

So far...and i haven't beaten any of them, but so far I'd say The Witcher 2, The Walking Dead, or Planescape Torment. Good times for the end of the alphabet. But yeah, Witcher 2 and Planescape Torment are just dense (especially the latter) and The Walking Dead I'm playing with the girlfriend so it takes a bit longer to get through it.

1. The Last of Us (I know it's out but I haven't played it yet...)
2. Ni No Kuni - I've decided not to play the PS3 version until I get through the DS Version, which considering my reading ability in Japanese could take a while, but I'm still excited for the PS3 version even if it's the same story/music because it's just so damn charming.
3. hmmm will get back to you. I'm sure other people will jog my memory.

New movies huh? Since EVERYTHING comes out late here...holy shit, I don't think i've seen a 2013 movie. ffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuu-

Gin Wigmore - Gravel and Wine. It's good. Good good good...good.

that aired? Like brand new? If not brand new, Game of Thrones Season 3.

I might actually buy a PS4 after all. Also, I want a new job. Also, I made a kickass stir fry...I'm pretty proud of it.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by SanAndreasX Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:20 pm

chocobot wrote:
SanAndreasX wrote:

1. Tales of Xillia
2. Dragon's Crown

*high fives* SanAndreas, I officially love you Very Happy

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy 
SanAndreasX
SanAndreasX
Biotic God

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by volvocrusher Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:55 pm

Hey guys. It's just about halfway through the year and on the off chance I don't make it on here tomorrow, I figured I'd post our first half of 2013 questionnaire for everyone to dive into. Answer as many questions as you'd like. You can do lists for any of the questions below that you feel like. Explaining choices is always good too. Also feel free to debate choices with other members.

1. The Last of Us- There wasn't one thing I disliked about this game. That's all I need to say.
2. Metal Gear Rising- Crazy Japanese action at its finest
3. Sly 4- Another great Sly platformer. Though I think I may actually like 2 more, it's really close. Should replay both of them to compare.
4. Bioshock Infinite- Atmosphere is fantastic and shooting is decent, but the real recent it's on here is that ending. Worth playing just for that.
5. Shin Megami Tensei 4- I'm really digging it so far. Just has a great battle system.

Tomb Raider reboot. Ugh.

The only thing really coming to my mind is Phoenix Wright 2 and 3, so I'll go with those. They're just a great collection of mysteries that have some really clever ways for how the murders were carried out.

1. Pokemon X and Y
2. Pokemon X
3. Pokemon Y
4. Pokemon Y and X
5. Saints Row 4, South Park: The Stick of Truth, The Wonderful 101, and Super Mario 3D World (while grinding in Pokemon X and Y)

Monsters University was pretty great

Archer. Favorite episode was the one with Kreigar making those robot legs, forget the title, but god damn that way he shot Bret was so funny.

PS4 day one

Last edited by volvocrusher on Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain N Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:57 pm

Injustice. Pretty much the only new release I bought in 2013 so far. But damn, I love that game, plus Batman's super move is just so awesome. Also, more dlc characters are coming, hoping for Power Girl and Blue Beetle.

Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon: Best handheld game of the year for me so far. I love it, Luigi is just so damn funny in the game.

The fact that I had to sacrifice alot of game releases for games I want the most. Sometimes we must make sacrifices for the greater good.

Mirror's Edge and Kirby Returns to Dreamland.

I borrowed Mirror's Edge from my neighbor and damn was that game pretty interesting. I loved the fps platforming, also did a no gun run on my first run. Pretty proud of that. And Kirby, best 2d platformer this gen imo.

1. Pokemon X&Y
2. Wind Waker HD
3. A Link between 2 Worlds
4. Super Mario 3DWorld
5. Batman: Arkham Origin's

N/A I wait for the dvd release.

N/A Nothing interesting for me so far.

N/A Don't have cable.

BATMAN DOES NOT EAT NACHOS!
Captain N
Captain N
Volgin's Hand on my Crotch

Back to top Go down

Post by avidacridjam Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:14 pm

Console-wise it's Ni No Kuni. Although I haven't finished the game yet, there's not a moment in the past 40 hours or so that felt like it didn't belong. It's charming, has a good, optimistic attitude, looks and sounds fantastic and brings to life the look and feel of fantasy, either in film or novel form. NOW, I just started Bioshock Infinite and its had a pretty strong start so it could take the crown.

On handhelds, I love everything about Guacamelee. Plenty of challenging moments and I love exploring that world. The music was fantastic and the humor was great. Loved the end credit sequence (well, the one you get if you find all 6 orbs).

Ninja Gaiden II Sigma Plus was very underwhelming. I should've just faced the fact that the game itself is broken, unfinished and unpolished. I'm not sure when the moment arrived that I knew I couldn't take it as far as I did the Xbox 360 version but it happened early. Massive slowdown on the boss fights didn't help at all.

Recently, control mechanics in Halo 4 made me so damn angry that I sold the game. I enjoyed the campaign but that fucking multiplayer....ugh...

Considering that I finally purchased a PS3 this year, there were plenty of good candidates but no one was bullshitting about Uncharted 2. I love the series overall but the second entry is perfect. A more recent entry would be last year's Far Cry 3 which was so much damn fun. That's how you do an open world game.

1. The Last of Us
2. Killzone Mercenary
3. South Park: The Stick of Truth
4. Tearaway
5. Phantasy Star 2 Online ( I mean, assuming it comes out this year)

If you have Netflix Streaming, I highly recommend Upstream Color. I saw this last night while nursing a cold and I've never seen anything like it.  One thing I do know is this: Shane Carruth deserves any praise he gets because he's that talented (see Primer if you haven't btw) but the secret weapon here is Amy Seimetz. Her performance is marvelous.

As far as crowd-pleasing fare goes, nothing has hit me in the sweet spot with more efficiency than Man of Steel. Negative reception to that film be damned; I walked out of that film elated, feeling that someone had finally nailed the character that occupied my fictional hero worship as a child.

Also, the documentary Sound City was two hours of joy for the music fan in me. Dave Grohl did such a great job directing this film and if you love rock music (especially since the 70s) and the creative process, you owe it to yourself to see this.

Queens of the Stone Age's ...Like Clockwork continues to impress. Josh Homme's songwriting since Lullabies to Paralyze has been spotty but this is the best batch of tunes from him since Songs for the Deaf. Kudos to him for not making this a sequel to that seminal album, either.

Honorable mentions: Random Access Memories - Daft Punk; Hummingbird - Local Natives; Holy Fire - Foals

Song? I find Justin Timberlake's Suit & Tie pretty fucking awesome everytime I hear it.

It's pretty much a tug of war between The Americans and Hannibal at this point. Nothing wrong with Justified 4th season or Game of Thrones' 3rd season (and both had series' best episodes) but these 2 new shows were electrifying. I'd almost have to give Hannibal the edge due to its remarkable ability to sustain tension and intensity to an almost unbearable pitch every episode. But I'll give it to The Americans because I can't help but love how I root for the Russians.

We lost 1up.com this year so that fucking sucked but I made the good choice of falling in with the members of the Playstation Club that has gone on to make this great site (and by extension, Pixilbit).  Its always awesome to connect with kindred spirits so I thank all of you for welcoming me into the fold.
avidacridjam
avidacridjam
Beary Bad Joker

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:19 am

I wish I would have kept up with Hannibal. It sort of got away from me. Very cool what I saw and visually stunning for a TV show as well.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:46 am

The Last of Us - Amazing unforgettable storytelling and narrative married to excellent gameplay in the form of some of the most fun and intense enemy encounters ever. Best game this gen for me and an all-time favorite.

Runner-up would be Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time which is my favorite Sly game. Sanzaru did an absolutely wonderful job taking over the series and I hope Sony keeps working with them on either Sly, another series or a new game of their own.

Anything else I played really isn't GotY-worthy to be honest, but I only played a handful of other games.

Definitely Tomb Raider. I really tried to like this and judge it for what it was, but after about a week I didn't even think it did what it did all that well either. So then the fact that it wasn't a Tomb Raider game at all became completely unacceptable for me. If you played this game in block mesh or Lara wasn't in it, Tomb Raider would probably be like the tenth game you'd compare it too. The platforming and puzzles the series is known for were a complete joke here... ahhhh... disappointing. Still a solid game, but a total letdown as a Tomb Raider game.

I guess Halo 4, but I still need to finish it. But I apparently haven't been playing a lot of old games this year.

1. Tearaway
2. Watch Dogs
3. Puppeteer
4. Rayman Legends
5. The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds

Not sure about that order. Just sort of as they came to me.

I haven't caught any new ones to be honest.

I'll go with Tegan and Sara - Heartthrob. For song, I was going to say that Calvin Harris, Florence Welch song "Sweet Nothing" but that seems to be a 2012 song. I feel like I heard it first this year, so I'll count it!

This is such a tough one. We're doing Summer TV Awards on my blog starting next week (which you know you should totally check out) for the "Emmy Period" as to not cut network seasons in half at year's end and the best show (or drama I suppose) pick is really tearing me up. I think its between Southland, Game of Thrones and Fringe for me. I think that is the order in objective quality I'd rank them, but I'd go the opposite way on personal enjoyment, so it is a tough call. 30 Rock I'd pick for comedy. Had a spectacular final year.

A Storm of Swords! I read that for the first time this year. What a book!
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by TripOpt55 Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:08 am

I'm really glad this new forum worked out and most everyone came over. Good group here.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:57 am

That's a really good point pspiddy, I do feel that (for the most part) the really creative and really moving experiences have been out of the small sector. And even when they are very good, like Bioshock Infinite, they're still wrapped up in a very actiony/mainstream package. Would Bioshock Infinite have been any less moving if there was less shooting and more walking dead or mass effect style story sequences. Or more Deus Ex style openness? I doubt it, would have been more awesome if anything.

Also, this club is cool.

Also, I always like Kays' picks because she's mainstream (like the rest of us) but always has that "well, I liked this one, fuck off if you don't like it" mentality. That might sound like an insult, but it's not.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMatt Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:08 am

Ni No Kuni- Haven't enjoyed a console JRPG this much since Persona 4. Besides the incredibly stupid party-AI, I really can't say anything else bad about this game.

The Last of Us- I haven't beat it yet. It's been kind of a slow burn for me. Summer is always tough for me to play games, because I try to spend as much time outside as possible. I will say from what I've played I'm not as in love with it as everyone else. But I have heard it gets better. But from what I've played I haven't enjoyed it as much as Ni No Kuni, so it gets #2 for now.

Downloadable/Handheld-- This is tough, because most downloadable games I played on my Vita so I'm just going to combine the two.

Guacamelee!- Great beat em up/platformer with some Metroidvania stuff. Fun characters, fun music and a lot of really bright colors. It wasn't very long, but it was a nice surprise when not much else was coming out.

Bit Trip Runner 2- I have been really digging this game on PS3, but I'm dying for the Vita release. It would be too perfect on a handheld

Hotline Miami- I know it came out on PC last year, but its just so god damn good on the Vita

Asura's Wrath- It's basically one big quick time event, but the ridiculous battles and characters had me hooked. I really don't know why but it was a damn good time.

1. Pokemon X and Y- I can't believe I'm saying it, but its true
2. South Park: The Stick of Truth
3. Saints Row IV
4. Zelda for 3DS
5. Pikmin 3- I really just want something to play for my god damn Wii U. And as cool as Wind Waker HD will be, I've played that game before.

Fast and Furious 6. And it's not even close.

Probably a tie between Phoenix's Bankrupt! and Kanye West's Yeezus. I know... completely different... but I can't decide. Yeezus has really grown on me. I'd have to say my favorite song would be Black Skinhead from Yeezus. Its been stuck in my head ever since that album came out and no other song has really done that this year... so that.

Best Comedy in 2013 was New Girl. I'm serious. If you aren't watching it, you are seriously missing out. It's hilarious.

Drama- Justified. Mad Med and Game of Thrones were up there... but Game of Thrones finale was weak and Mad Men had some so-so episodes this season. Justified was from start to finish great this year. Another show more people need to watch. Favorite episode? Probably the one that makes me laugh was Workaholics' Webcam Girl. Really just the opening to the episode in particular.

I have my PS4 reserved for day one... but I want to take a big chunk out of my huge PS3 backlog before I jump into a new generation. Luckily there isn't too much coming out this fall that interests me.
TheMatt
TheMatt
Cigar-chomping Dirty Old Man

Back to top Go down

Post by ajapam Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:58 am

TripOpt55 wrote:Hey guys. It's just about halfway through the year and on the off chance I don't make it on here tomorrow, I figured I'd post our first half of 2013 questionnaire for everyone to dive into. Answer as many questions as you'd like. You can do lists for any of the questions below that you feel like. Explaining choices is always good too. Also feel free to debate choices with other members.

GOTY: The Last of Us. Incredible storytelling, great encounters. One of the best, if not THE best game I've played this generation
Handheld GOTY: Fire Emblem: Awakening. So far the difficulty is perfect. I haven't lost anyone yet but I know that if I let my guard down, that could change in an instant
Downloadable GOTY: Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon. Dinosaurs with lasers

Ni No Kuni. I was so excited to play a game from Studio Ghibli but the combat in the demo was such a chore. I spent 90% of my time waiting for the boss to tire himself out or for magic pickups to appear. I'll still buy it and play it , though

Mass Effect 3

1. Tearaway
2. Trackmania 2 Valley
3. Watchdogs
4. Shin Megami Tensei 4
5. Saints Row 4 (Sounds like it's more of my thing than 3 was)

Honorable mention: Puppeteer

What's a movie?

Bankrupt! - Phoenix. Favourite song is... something from that album

Game of Thrones. Best episode was the one with death and Hodor-ing

Star Wars Battlefront 3

ajapam
ajapam
Jill Sandwich

Back to top Go down

Post by Rainjar Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:59 pm

TripOpt55 wrote:

The Last of Us. Fantastic gameplay and easily some of the best writing in a video game. Explained more in the other threads.

I can't think of anything major at the moment to be honest. Probably the announcement that PS4 will need a fee to play online, but it depends on how they handle that still. Or maybe it's how quickly MS took back all their DRM stuff, I was looking forward to watching them squirm for a year or so.

Ohwait, I got it. Bioshock Infinite.
Yes, I really do dislike that game.

Catherine or Planescape: Torment. I did play P:T last year but it just wouldn't click, and although I still struggled to push through P:T I see it in a very different light after going the whole way through. Truly fantastic game, brilliant writing, dialogue choices lightyears ahead of what we have now, such an intriguing environment to explore. I feel like it's worth a mention, even if it doesn't really comply to the rules of this question.

While I have a few problems with Catherine, especially with it's near ending sequences, overall it was an enjoyable first playthrough with lots of tough choices and questions, and I love being put in a difficult moral situation I hate in games.

Evangelion 3.33: You Can (Not) Redo.

Duh. What else would it be?

Iunno. I don't follow music a great deal, I just jump from one to another.

None, Breaking Bad season 5 will be my favourite for sures though.

Video games video games.

Rainjar
Rainjar
Volgin's Hand on my Crotch

http://myanimelist.net/profile/Rainjar

Back to top Go down

Post by chocobot Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:53 am

1) Ni no Kuni
2) Bioshock Infinite
3) Metal Gear Rising
4) SMT Soul Hackers
5) Last of Us (not enjoying it quite as much as everyone else because stealth is such a struggle for me, but still a great game)

Can't think of anything...

I think Digital Devil Saga might be the only game I've bought this year that isn't a new release.. or my memory is just awful I don't know.

1. Shin Megami Tensei 4 (SO jealous Greenman is playing this already DAMN YOU)
2. Tales of Xllia
3. Dragon's Crown
4. Final Fantasy XIV (still not sure how much I can enjoy an MMO but the beta is fun so far and convinced me to try it)
5. Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD (X is pretty much my favorite game ever soo..)

And Hatsune Miku Project Diva F whenever I have the extra money for it, I already have almost the same exact game on my Vita so I'm prioritizing other games in August. I'm so sorry Miku ;_;

I ended up really enjoying Man of Steel, and Henry Cavill has a great smile ♡

Um... Ni no Kuni sure did have a nice soundtrack Razz

Don't watch tv

OMG FINAL FANTASY XV *explodes*
chocobot
chocobot
Will Eat Lizard Tails to Improve Stamina

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:48 am

Ni No Kuni DOES have a good soundtrack =D
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:27 am

Just did a quick count on GotY so far and Ni No Kuni got five votes, The Last of Us got four. Should be interesting to see how this goes at years end. More people will have likely played both by then and of course there is another half year of games, so we'll have to see if anything else will jump into the mix.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Miraculous Kaydybug Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:43 am

Forgot to post here

1. Bioshock Infinite
2. The Last of Us
3. Tomb Raider
4. Injustice: Gods Among Us
5. Ni No Kuni

Uh how much I liked DmC?

Alice Madness Returns: Amazing world, story and soundtrack my favorite PS3/360 game

1. Dynasty Warriors 8
2. Tales of Xillia
3. Saints Row 4
4. Killer is Dead
5. FFX/X2 HD

EDIT: I should note that DW8 is on the top because I hastily traded away 7 and holy shit its feeling like i gave away my first born child right now. I'd play Warriors Orochi 3, but eh an ex bought that for me, and it's felt weird playing it since we broke up. SO I LIKE REALLY NEED DW8 NOW!

There's other stuff to but its on platforms i dont own so i try to just ignore it

Havent seen one in ages

Anarchy Reigns OST

Watch less TV then movies

Nothing i should say in public Razz
Miraculous Kaydybug
Miraculous Kaydybug
Sees Tetris Blocks EVERYWHERE

http://gunstabwounds.tumblr.com/stabs

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down