The Play Station
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Top 5 Gaming Goals For 2018 (with 2016 and 2017 also mixed in)
by BretBaber Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:47 pm

» Now Playing
by volvocrusher Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:27 pm

» General TV Show Discussion
by volvocrusher Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:48 pm

» First Half of 2018 Questionnaire (GotY So Far, etc.)
by volvocrusher Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:35 pm

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Top Five Scariest Enemies

+6
volvocrusher
ajapam
BretBaber
pspiddy
Krubixcube
TripOpt55
10 posters

Go down

Top Five Scariest Enemies Empty Top Five Scariest Enemies

Post by TripOpt55 Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:25 am

The first of our horror themed Top Fives for the month. Which are the scariest enemies in gaming? Pick a top five. Feel free to have some fun with it too. Maybe they aren't scary for traditional reasons... whatever.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

http://thetripleoption.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Top Five Scariest Enemies Empty Re: Top Five Scariest Enemies

Post by Krubixcube Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:36 am

Tried my best to keep it one monster per franchise but then immediately cheated by putting on 2 from Silent Hill. To be far I could make an entire list out of Silent Hill enemies though.

1. Pyramid Head
Most of the time he's just there...fucking LOOKING at you. Scraping around in the dark. He's intimidating because you barely see him. Fuck his appearances in other games outside of Silent Hill 2, but in that game he was terrifying.

2. The Little Kids from Silent Hill 1
Not only what they are in the game but what they represent. The idea that they were generated because the girl who's generating hte nightmares was picked on so savagely by the other kids so she saw them as monsters. Man...Playstation 1/2 Silent HIll was so fucking cool.

3. The Neurotoxin Headcrabs from Half Life 2. Close tie with the really thin fast zombies from HL2
mostly for that horrible noise they make

4. Banshees from ME3
that fucking SCREECH. Not to mention they fuck you up

5. The shadows...evil things from Amnesia. Fuck those things so much.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by BretBaber Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:31 am

What's the other Scary Topic going to be? I'd like to know before picking my top 5 scariest enemies.
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

Post by ajapam Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:15 am

1. The Water Creature from Amnesia
Just when you think you're safe... *splash splash splash*

2. The tall monsters from Dead Space
I generally don't find this series very scary but something about these things really creeps me out

3. The big fat clickers from The Last of Us
Again, I didn't find this game very scary but the way these guys kill you is just brutal. And the screen goes black at just the right time

4. Kids from Silent Hill
Scared the crap out of me when they're introduced
ajapam
ajapam
Jill Sandwich

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by volvocrusher Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:09 am

1. Darth Sion (Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2)- Every time this guy was around it freaked me the fuck out. It always isolated you and made you feel vulnerable and I mean, just look at this guy!

2. Clickers (The Last of Us)- The big ones are tougher to deal with, but with how many of these there are and how when you face one it's less safe of an area, these things scared the fuck out of me. Also, like Aja said, it fades to black at the right time.

3. Those things in the lab from Resident Evil 4 (forget what they're called)- You guys remember though? That deep breathing as they slowly move towards you. I mean, as unscary as that game mostly is, that part freaked me out.

4. Ghouls (Fallout 3)- Part of this is because the subway feels so different from the upper world. There's some sense of safety up there, with multiple ways to move and the chance for NPCs to provide aid against whatever enemy. Down here though? Cramped corridors, swarms of these, and no one else around. These things would always make me jump.

5. Banshees (Mass Effect 3)- They're annoying as hell to fight, but their design and the way they move are so damn disturbing that it scared me the first time. The mission that introduces them definitely helps make them feel scary
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by avidacridjam Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:15 am

1. Phanto (Super Mario Bros. 2)

Top Five Scariest Enemies 151258-PhantoMainImage_zps35c18799

IT COMES FROM HELL.

2. The Sand Worm (Darksiders)

When you finally get your horse, taking these shitheads out is fun and exciting. But the problem is surviving your first encounter, where the developers clearly took some cues from Tremors. I hate the sound this thing makes when it knows you're on the sand. I hate the look of its body as its moving about in the sand. Most of all, I hate the slo-mo shot of its opening, awful, Predator mouth as it's about to eat you.

3. The Dahaka (Prince of Persia: Warrior Within)

Not a particularly good game but the most memorable thing about it were the moments where you parkour the hell away from this asshole. I died so many times.

4. This fucking thing from Out Of This World

Top Five Scariest Enemies Polygon_zps53f16dd8

Seriously: who's fucking idea was this?

5. The Berserker (Gears of War)

Like Phanto, dealing with her isn't impossible but everything about her appearance, animation and screaming made her a nightmare on two legs.
avidacridjam
avidacridjam
Beary Bad Joker

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:30 pm

The Dahaka is a good one. I actually loved those parts in Warrior Within despite my issues with the game as a whole.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

http://thetripleoption.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Motinator Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:06 pm

1. Spider-Man (PS1)

Spoiler:

2. Uncharted: Drake's Fortune

Spoiler:

3. Prince of Persia: Warrior Within

The Dahaka was always after you. Even when it wasn't one of the escape sequences, he was pursuing you. Constantly on edge.

4. Uncharted 2: Among Thieves

Spoiler:

5. inFamous

That final boss thing was pretty ugly
Motinator
Motinator
Has a Bad Case of Headcrabs

Back to top Go down

Post by ajapam Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:23 pm

Greenman reminded me of Redeads from zelda... I can't leave those off of my list. I could add wallmasters as well, but that's mainly because they love to ruin your day.

Another one was this underwater monster in a Star Wars game of the N64. Swimming in a lake has never been the same for me.
ajapam
ajapam
Jill Sandwich

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:09 pm

1.  Marv and Harry from Home Alone for NES

Top Five Scariest Enemies Fff62fdb-3888-4480-9e4b-37b1ba870474_zpsc1d2f41f

This game was survival horror at its finest. The game is a 20 minute countdown of you trying not to get caught by these two guys. You lay down traps, and you run. That's it. They run a lot faster than you, and when they come running it is terrifying. I think someone needs to make a modern horror game with this same kind of concept.

2. Spiders from PS1 era Resident Evil games - They looked so much more real than any other spiders in games. Plus, those jerky controls made it really hard to kill them. To add to my misery, when you finally kill them little spiders come running out. How I beat those games I do not know.

3. Nemesis from RE3 - He was creepy and like Marv and Harry he could run like a mother fucker! His music just taunted you, until he made a dramatic entrance. I hate him.

4. Alert phase noise from MGS - It's startling. More startling than the new games. It was so loud and always caught you off guard if you weren't careful.

5. Those nasty things from Uncharted 1 that ajam mentioned- They were creepy, and the lighting made them even creepier.
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

Post by SanAndreasX Sun Oct 13, 2013 3:10 am

1. Grahf (Xenogears). Even his theme music gave me the creeps.

2. Balio and Sunder (Breath of Fire 3). I'm going with an unusual choice, but hear me out. When you're being chased by them, Ryu is a kid, and they are relentless and sadistic pursuers. They're apparently such assholes that the townspeople in every town you pass through sell you out to them almost immediately. As a kid, who wouldn't be scared of thugs like them?

3. The Nightstalkers (Fallout: New Vegas). They live in dark caves and they make rattlesnake noises.

4. King Tom (Ni no Kuni). God damn. The zombified version of King Tom is pure nightmare fuel.

5. Cyberdemon (Doom and Doom II). When you hear these assholes stomping around you'd better RUN. Two or three of the rockets they fire at almost a machine-gun pace will take you from 200% health and armor to dead in seconds. I'd also give an honorable mention to Arch-Viles here.
SanAndreasX
SanAndreasX
Biotic God

Back to top Go down

Post by Jubby Jubbleton McJubson Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:42 am

In no particular order:

1) Mom from The Binding of Isaac. Everything she represents just freaks me out and the way she attacks (screaming your name and stomping on you) makes her really frightening.

2) Dante from Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne. The dude just chases you around everywhere and intense music plays and I wasn't expecting this from a turn-based RPG.

3) The average zombies in Lone Survivor. The specialized enemies were actually easier for me to handle because their AI had a clear method to trick them. With the normal zombies, there were just so many different ways to handle them and I never knew which one to use.

4) ReDeads from The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time/ Wind Waker. They're not the most difficult things in the world to beat, but that noise they make is just horrid.

5) Biolizard from Sonic Adventure 2. I'm not sure what it was about the Biolizard that freaks me out, but I always get the worst chills fighting him when I play the game.
Jubby Jubbleton McJubson
Jubby Jubbleton McJubson
Sand Thrower

Back to top Go down

Post by SanAndreasX Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:15 pm

Jubby Jubbleton McJubson wrote:In no particular order:

4) ReDeads from The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time/ Wind Waker. They're not the most difficult things in the world to beat, but that noise they make is just horrid.
I was thinking of this. I'm playing Wind Waker HD, and the scream the ReDeads make to stun Link is pretty gruesome. Nintendo has always been cutting-edge on sound effects.
SanAndreasX
SanAndreasX
Biotic God

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down