The Play Station
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Top 5 Gaming Goals For 2018 (with 2016 and 2017 also mixed in)
by BretBaber Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:47 pm

» Now Playing
by volvocrusher Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:27 pm

» General TV Show Discussion
by volvocrusher Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:48 pm

» First Half of 2018 Questionnaire (GotY So Far, etc.)
by volvocrusher Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:35 pm

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

The Backlog Thread

+10
Motinator
lenny.b
ajapam
Krubixcube
Miraculous Kaydybug
volvocrusher
BretBaber
TripOpt55
SanAndreasX
pspiddy
14 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

The Backlog Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: The Backlog Thread

Post by SanAndreasX Sun May 04, 2014 5:28 pm

KillaAssassin11 wrote:So I was cleaning my room today. I had purchased a new stand to put all my games in and as I was arranging them when I realized I own more games that I have not played or finished than ones have have completed. Its kind of sad actually. I feel like more of a collector than a gamer sometimes.

Ha, sometimes this kind of applies to me too. I look at my gaming shelves. I have enough games to play one game per day for about two years and never see the same game twice. And I like to think I'm picky about my game-buying.

This year alone, I have Bravely Default (my GoTY so far), One Piece Romance Dawn, Tales of Symphonia HD, FFX/X2 HD, Dynasty Warriors 8 Xtreme Legends on PS4, Wonderful 101. I want to get Mario Kart 8 when it comes out. I play what I buy, but it's hard to finish it all especially when I've been so busy. I'm going to spend my summer gaming now that I have more free time from work and school.

Honestly, I'm used to having a huge game library. When I was a third-grader in 1980-whatever, we had an Atari 130XE computer, which was basically an Atari 5200 with a keyboard, a disk drive, and the ability to use good 2600 joysticks instead of the godawful 5200 ones. My uncle had access to a hacking community for the Atari XE back in those days, and when we got the computer, he sent me a huge cardboard box with about a thousand games on floppy disk, ranging from ports of all the popular arcade games, and the Atari XE had the best arcade ports of its time, seriously, it had a better version of Donkey Kong than the NES did, old RPGs, and a lot of games made specifically for the Atari XE. That computer was a big reason why I never had a NES, although I'd have loved to have had my own copies of Zelda, Metroid, Kid Icarus, and Dragon Warrior.

Then when I got Game Boy and SNES, I couldn't afford to buy a lot of games for them. My Atari's disk drive wasn't working by that point, so I had to put up with a lot of game droughts and got used to replaying games ad nauseam. I beat Super Mario Land about a hundred times the first year I had a Game Boy. The first year I got a SNES I was cycling between Zelda, Mortal Kombat II, and Zombies Ate My Neighbors.

Then I got my own job, my own income, bought a PS1, and once again went buckwild on the games.

One problem is that a lot of the games I like are niche and get really hard to find if you don't buy them within the first two weeks after they come out. I missed out on too many games like Panzer Dragoon Saga and Tales of Destiny PS1, so if there's a game I know I'm going to want and I know it's going to be scarce, I'll go ahead and pick it up. The most recent game of this type I bought was One Piece Romance Dawn for the 3DS.
SanAndreasX
SanAndreasX
Biotic God

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by SanAndreasX Sun May 04, 2014 9:59 pm

pspiddy wrote:
SanAndreasX wrote:
One problem is that a lot of the games I like are niche and get really hard to find if you don't buy them within the first two weeks after they come out. I missed out on too many games like Panzer Dragoon Saga and Tales of Destiny PS1, so if there's a game I know I'm going to want and I know it's going to be scarce, I'll go ahead and pick it up.

Amen to this. All though sometimes I gamble on a price drop. I gambled with the Xillia CE and was rewarded. I gambled on Xenoblade Wii and lost.

My biggest regrets in game acquisition:

Not buying Panzer Dragoon Saga in 1998-1999 (now it's $400 and up. I bought the UK version in 2011)
Not buying a LOT of Saturn games like Burning Rangers or Magic Knight Rayearth
Not buying Tales of Destiny or Tales of Destiny II in that same time period (did get good deals on both at Vintage Stock though).
Not getting the Collectors' Edition of Tales of Vesperia
Not getting Suikoden II new. Again, got a good deal at the Norman Vintage Stock. However, that game may end up on PSN very soon, if recent reports prove true.
Not getting my Ni no Kuni Wizard's Edition, but that was Digital River's fault, not mine. I got the free hardcover guide, so yay?
SanAndreasX
SanAndreasX
Biotic God

Back to top Go down

Post by KillaAssassin11 Sun May 04, 2014 10:59 pm

When I buy games I usually have the intention of playing through them but I tend to get distracted easy. As I've gotten older my gaming time decreases so I have to be a little more picky with what I play. The biggest victim is the longer games like RPG's. I put Persona 3 on the back burner again recently for the second time. Not because I wasn't enjoying it but because other games came out and distracted me.
KillaAssassin11
KillaAssassin11
Asks for the "Guile" at the Barbershop

http://www.unknownconnection.com

Back to top Go down

Post by A Roguish Ham Mon May 05, 2014 10:59 am

I seem to always gamble wrong on games I should / shouldn't pick up at full price. Plus I always look for stuff on disk so... yeah...
A Roguish Ham
A Roguish Ham
Currently Looking Through Their Ascot Closet

http://www.pixlbit.com

Back to top Go down

Post by avidacridjam Mon May 05, 2014 11:08 am

A few weeks back I bought all the DLC for Skyrim and Fallout 3 so I intend to launch into those.

I've owned Mass Effect 3 since the week it was released and I have yet to play the campaign. The MP has been that fruitful. I also want to play through Mass Effect 2 again and this time romance Tali. It was also help if the DLC for both games could go on sale again.

I haven't finished Bioshock Infinite, Ni No Kuni, Just Cause 2, Jak & Daxter Collection, The Sly Collection, LOZ: Skyward Sword, KOTOR (Xbox), Skies of Arcadia Legends, among many others.

These days, the majority of my gaming time happens on the weekends unless the strength of a certain game can make me put in a couple of hours each day (the way Diablo 3 has recently).

I think I've embarrassed myself enough. The rabbit hole goes deeper than that if I think about it long enough.
avidacridjam
avidacridjam
Beary Bad Joker

Back to top Go down

Post by SanAndreasX Mon May 05, 2014 3:14 pm

A friend of mine put it best: Don't worry about "beating" games. It just puts stress on you and then you've lost the whole narrative of video gaming.
SanAndreasX
SanAndreasX
Biotic God

Back to top Go down

Post by A Roguish Ham Mon May 05, 2014 5:35 pm

SanAndreasX wrote:A friend of mine put it best: Don't worry about "beating" games. It just puts stress on you and then you've lost the whole narrative of video gaming.
 Meh, my problem is I put down an RPG with every intent of coming back to it after I play a quick 'action' title, but then completely forget what I was doing and how the finer mechanics work.
A Roguish Ham
A Roguish Ham

Back to top Go down

Post by Rainjar Mon May 05, 2014 6:25 pm

SanAndreasX wrote:A friend of mine put it best: Don't worry about "beating" games. It just puts stress on you and then you've lost the whole narrative of video gaming.

This is why I have so many games on the backlog now. Instead of spending my free time playing video games I spend my free time doing absolutely nothing instead. Worst advice ever, would not take again.
Rainjar
Rainjar
Volgin's Hand on my Crotch

http://myanimelist.net/profile/Rainjar

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Mon May 05, 2014 9:14 pm

I see what San is saying, if you worry too much about beating your games then playing them feels like a number game, some statistic that has to be improved as opposed to just playing a game and enjoying it. I've felt myself doing that sometimes when playing games I don't particularly enjoy.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by KillaAssassin11 Mon May 05, 2014 10:13 pm

Speaking from experience I have a lot more fun when I just play what I feel like playing. For a while there I was forcing myself to try and play games so I could have something to talk about on the podcast I record for my site. Now I'm back to just playing what I want and what I have time for. There are a few regrets for games I have yet to finished but overall I am content.
KillaAssassin11
KillaAssassin11

Back to top Go down

Post by ajapam Tue May 06, 2014 1:52 am

I understand that but sometimes when I just play what I want to play, I end up just playing that game out of habit because I can't get into anything else. Then I get kind of tired and don't really play anything. That's basically what happened with GTA5

My biggest gaming regret right now is that I've only played my copy of Radiant Historia once. Never even got to the combat but I really want to get back to it
ajapam
ajapam
Jill Sandwich

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Tue May 06, 2014 1:55 am

I don't see myself as having a backlog. I see myself as having distractions to pass the time in between Mass Effect playthroughs.
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Tue May 06, 2014 4:08 am

If it makes you feel better Radiant Historia was one of my biggest disappointments...
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by A Roguish Ham Tue May 06, 2014 10:40 am

I will slap all haters of Radiant Historia.
A Roguish Ham
A Roguish Ham

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Tue May 06, 2014 12:46 pm

There's never a bad excuse to slap T-Wolf.
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Tue May 06, 2014 6:22 pm

That's what mom always used to say.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by KillaAssassin11 Wed May 07, 2014 3:12 am

Havent decided for sure but I think either Tales of the Abyss or Persona 3 Portable are on the top of my backlog. Ive started both but stopped to play other games.
KillaAssassin11
KillaAssassin11

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Wed May 07, 2014 6:15 am

If you genuinely liked the first ME, ME2 and 3 are MUCH faster and more enjoyable to play (no item management/long stretches of empty planet to explore etc)
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Wed May 07, 2014 10:41 am

What 2 fucks up isn't the combat mechanics themselves but the mechanics behind it. The leveling system doesn't require as much fiddling which, you being the fiddly type, will probably dislike. For the roleplaying and pacing of hte story though it's infinitely better. ME3 kind of mixes the 2.

And I would but very recently played through it and I don't have greenie's stamina for replaying games that closely together.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Wed May 07, 2014 10:56 am

I actually just did a ME playthrough a couple months ago, but I could go for another when I build my PC.
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Wed May 07, 2014 10:59 am

You can't play Mass Effect 1 without playing 2 and you can't play Mass Effect 2 without playing 3.
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Wed May 07, 2014 11:05 am

volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down