The Play Station
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Top 5 Gaming Goals For 2018 (with 2016 and 2017 also mixed in)
by BretBaber Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:47 pm

» Now Playing
by volvocrusher Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:27 pm

» General TV Show Discussion
by volvocrusher Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:48 pm

» First Half of 2018 Questionnaire (GotY So Far, etc.)
by volvocrusher Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:35 pm

March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Ni no Kuni discussion

+8
avidacridjam
volvocrusher
chocobot
Halochief90
BretBaber
pspiddy
TheMatt
SanAndreasX
12 posters

Page 7 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Ni no Kuni discussion - Page 7 Empty Re: Ni no Kuni discussion

Post by volvocrusher Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:08 am

It's fine that you call them Pokemon. I'm naming everything in here based on whichever Pokemon it reminds me of the most.
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:58 am

So was actually enjoying this game for once, then the idiot AI had to come into play and never defend itself during a boss fight. This game so desperately needs a pause system like Kotor where you can queue up a bunch of actions for your party.
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by volvocrusher Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:20 am

I don't know who thought it was a good idea to give a boss a move that takes almost half your health with such a short charging time that whether you can defend in time is based purely on luck. And make it impossible to get both characters to defend. And if you fail in making both defend, neither will defend. God this combat can be so terrible.
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMatt Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:14 pm

Yeah, I never used the familiars with Oliver during boss fights. I just ran around spamming his spells. It also made it easier to make everyone defend.
TheMatt
TheMatt
Cigar-chomping Dirty Old Man

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:39 pm

My problem with the AI is that they used magic way too often.

I agree with the purrloiners and I stuck with the very first familiar that Oliver got all the way to the end, but the black purrloiner was my top cat of the group. Make sure you use the all out attack and all out defends at the right times, because it can be the difference between winning and losing.
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:45 pm

It still means I have to micromanage through all those menus in real time though. It's just a really shitty design choice.
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:00 am

He was my favorite, I named him Spike after my cat named (get ready for this), Spike.

Every new town I'd almost always finish all of the errands, and running around completing those helped make my characters stronger too with all of the level grinding. For the most part, I just stuck with two familiars for each character and kept changing out the third as it maxed out to the final form. If I was in a boss fight, then I'd switch to the familiars that worked best, but a lot of the ones I started with were so strong there wasn't many better choices.

I'm probably going to load this game up tonight before I go to bed. Just two days ago I started playing again because I really want the platinum for this game, just not looking forward to alchemy and 250 familiar trophies.
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:31 am

Once again died twice in a row at a boss because the stupid AI can't remember to defend just because I'm changing characters. Ugh.
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:43 pm

Trying to get the alchemy trophy is the longest grind of all time. I commend you spiddy, because you seemed to get the platinum pretty early on. I'm been trying to get kaleidstones (I have 4, need one more for one of the weapons but I know there is another that needs 5 and who knows if there's any armor that needs it), and man I swear I played for 2-3 hours today and only managed one. It's really disheartening. Still I love the game, but I hate luck based trophies like this as much as I hate stupid multiplayer ones.
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:06 pm

I got one set of the stones, but I might need another set later in the game. I can't really remember your strategy, but found a good one online. Was also relieved to discover I only have to get 90-91% of the alchemy spells done. That's a relief. While stealing items I'm also trying to work on the familiar trophy. What a grind.

Played the game for around 5 hours today, and even though what I'm doing is annoying, the game is still a blast to play.
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:08 am

If you ended up getting a lot of text from me, sorry. Where I live there is horrible service. Shouldn't matter for texts coming to me though since it'll just send when it can, but when I text people sometimes they get the same text like 5 times because it tries so hard to send.

Do you know the percentage that needs to be at? For the life of me I don't know how I haven't hit the 250 yet. Oh well, I wonder which one I'll get first the familiar trophy or the alchemy trophy.

Over the course of two days I probably played this game for around 15 hours. Which is fitting since that is what I did 1 year ago when the game came out. Happy American Birthday Ni No Kuni!!!
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:15 am

Yeah everyone online says 91% for alchemy, but no one put anything for creature compendium. I think I'm at 82% so I'm almost there. After I polish these off I'm going to finish the last of the bounty hunts which are just the boss fights again. Just finished the one in the Marshes because I was there stealing items, so hopefully I don't have too many more of those as well.
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

Post by SanAndreasX Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:08 pm

I've got stuff like Fire Emblem, Project X-Zone, and Zelda on my 3DS plate, and I'm wanting to go back and play Ni no Kuni again. I wonder how close I am to getting some of the trophies. I wish the log would be more clear on that stuff.

And in most other games I couldn't care less about trophies.

EDIT: Congrats to Ni no Kuni for being the first game/series in this board to reach 200 posts.
SanAndreasX
SanAndreasX
Biotic God

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:09 pm

Apparently I only have like 194 tamed, which is a bummer since I've got like 56 more to go. It wouldn't be so bad if taming the little bastards was a little easier, but it's just random if it'll happen or not. I probably only have to do the alchemy for two more things and I'll have that trophy. If not, it's some big time grinding for my worst enemy, the kaleidostone.
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:03 am

Alright...I started the PS3 Ni No Kuni...I GOT SOME THINGS TO SAY!

And they are all the horrible "WELL I PLAYED THE JAPANESE VERSION AND I'M GOING TO BLOW FART BUBBLES OUT OF MY ASS THAT RESEMBLE LANGUAGE" type of arguments you all love. BUT, there is something that need to be said.

So originally, I was going to wait to play the PS3 version until I'd beaten the Japanese DS version which is nearly identical in plot but with much different game system (the DS is a pretty straight forward turn-based RPG, all your familiars have their own HP/MP etc). BUT, as I'm very slow to work on that I figured I may as well play the PS3 one given how much everyone loved it here and then that would only help me understand what was happening in the DS version plot-wise since it is a lot of work translating certain things in Japanese.

THAT SAID. My biggest complaint so far has been about the liberties taken in the translation. I mean, I understand when localizing a product you have to capture the spirit of the original more than the exact translation. But seriously, some of the stuff has been ridiculous. Names in particular are being changed ALL over the place. Jabo has been changed to Shader, Shizuku has been changed to Mr. Drippy, Cornelia (a perfectly fine name) changed to Ding Dong Dell...Why? I think the worst offender of all Oliver's glasses-wearing friend (who wasn't nearly so condescending in the Japanese version) has been changed from MARK to PHIL. WHY?! Did this enhance the understanding of the culture. I mean, again, I understand and I don't blame you guys for thinking I'm being nitpicky about this but having gone from one version of the game to the other it's a bit...odd, to change something as minor as names. It seems a bit of a slap to the face. It's very similar to what I noticed in the Digimon localization of all things (remember that show guys?). The translators add loads of puns and little kids-jokes that just don't exist in the original version to make it seem like it has more personality but it's just not needed. "Your Meowjesty..." etc. I mean, the cat does speak using cat puns, but I don't know...it could have been done with a bit more subtlety. And from what I gather Shizuku (mr. drippy?!) is meant to be scottish in the localized version but my girlfriend (who is Northern english) read the dialogue and laughed at how bad of an approximation of scottish it was meant to be in the actual written dialogue. It doesn't by any means RUIN my experience of the game it just, as I said, seems to take liberties with a story that was strong enough on its own without all the messing-with.

To be a TOTAL nerdzoid and push my glasses up, adjust my monocle, put on my sweater vest and refill the whiskey in my tumbler, I can still listen to the japanese dialogue during key moments and so it doesn't really ruin it, it's just odd to see such a disconnect between the characters I've come to know in the DS versions (which again, have nearly identical characters) and the PS3 english version. Just makes you think about the translations of things (that go both ways. I want DESPERATELY to know how Bioshock Infinite was translated in Japanese)

But, that's something I can get over. The animation is gorgeous, I LOVE LOVE the world map in this version. The battle system is substantially harder than the DS counterpart since things happen in real time WRPG style without pausing. Using the shoudler buttons instead of the arrow keys to switch commands has helped CONSIDERABLY especially when it comes to defense but i can't say I've figured out the strategy entirely. the idea of everyone sharing MP/HP is novel since it prevents the DS version's constant switching of companions to just act as hit-sponges in the front row.

Story-wise, mosty things are the same. I felt that Oliver's mother's death was handled more...delicately on the DS. There was no death scene where he saw her pass she just had heart problems and then you saw him in his room and she was gone which I felt was a bit more effective. The story things are playing out in SLIGHTLY different orders, as if they chose to refine things somewhat which is nicer in some cases than others. Overall though I'm enjoying it and wanted to play it more but alas, the PS3 is at the girlfriend's apartment and therefore far way.

Again, I do feel like a TOTAL geek going over the translation stuff, but having gone from one version to the other i guess it sticks with me a bit more and I'm also playing it with the Japanese language track which doesn't help (they will SAY one thing and the english subtitles will say another) but again, I'd say it's pretty good overall.

The end.

Krubix out.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by SanAndreasX Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:20 am

Mr. Drippy was actually intended to have a Welsh accent and use Welsh expressions. Steffan Rhodri, his English voice actor, is from Wales. Rhodri also played a minor character, Reg Cattermole, in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows 1.

Admittedly, I'm not too much of a purist on translations, and I thought NnK was one of the better localizations. As long as the basic ideas are carried over, I'm fine with most translations. IMO, trying to directly translate Japanese into English results in some of the stilted translations we got in the 1990s, and Namco's idea was to get Americans to buy this game. It certainly wasn't anything along the lines of Warriors of the Wind, which was the original English version of Miyazaki's Nausicaa and really was butchered up. But what do I know? I enjoyed the hell out of Working Designs and their Clinton jokes in Lunar: The Silver Star. Smile
SanAndreasX
SanAndreasX
Biotic God

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:53 am

I give up on this. Played long enough to know I just don't like that combat. So I'm trading the thing in. Shame, I wanted to like it. At least it wouldn't take Tomb Raider's spot for most overrated of 2013.
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:22 am

I'm a big fan of the "your meowjesty". So much so that I often post pictures of my cat on instagram with that as the hash tag.
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:24 am

Yeah it's not a game breaker or anything I just don't see the point of taking certain liberties. Because on the one hand it's about getting the new audience but if I'd made a game/book/movie and saw those kind of liberties taken in the translation when i saw it abroad I'd be all bummed. BUMMED I say.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:54 pm

I have done 119 different alchemy concoctions, and it says you need 120. Sadly I have to get another 5 kaleidostones and then 3 scrolls of truth. They're coming a bit more frequent now though, so hopefully I won't be doing it for too long. The only thing that isn't making it horrible is that I need to evolve creatures, so having them level up takes another notch off of the 250 different tamed creatures that I need.

119 items in alchemy
211 different creatures tamed

I was hoping to be done with this today, but my girlfriend has the day off too, so that means she's going to make me clean and do wedding stuff. Doesn't she understand that Ni No Kuni is so much more important?
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:20 am

Quote of the year =p
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down