October 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Top 5 Worst Publishers

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Top 5 Worst Publishers

Post by Miraculous Kaydybug on Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:52 pm

I haven't actually bought an Activision game since Tony Hawk's Proving Ground (which sucked and I hated it) though I did play BLOPS Declassified which is the worst game this gen, but that said I just don't buy Activision games they make NOTHING that interests me whatever the hell they do doesnt effect me like at all.

EA on the other hand I've bought at least 4-5 games published by them in the last couple of years. EA does shit to games I want to play, and Acti does it to games i couldnt give two fucks about.

Angels in anyone A permanent solution to a temporary problem
Before I'd lay me down to rest I'd throw away everything to live~

Steam
Risette 3DS 3024 6121 9950 Nin. ID GoddessOfTheSeal Pixlbit http://gunstabwounds.tumblr.com/
Miraculous Kaydybug
Sees Tetris Blocks EVERYWHERE

View user profile http://gunstabwounds.tumblr.com/stabs

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 on Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:37 pm

I was thinking that it might be possible I own no Activision games this gen. I did finally realize I bought Project 8 on PS3 at one point and I have Guitar Hero 5. I don't care much for either to be honest, but was just kind of weirded out how I had so few games from them this gen as such a big publisher (there might be another I'm forgetting possibly).
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

View user profile http://thetripleoption.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by SanAndreasX on Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:50 pm

TripOpt55 wrote:I was thinking that it might be possible I own no Activision games this gen. I did finally realize I bought Project 8 on PS3 at one point and I have Guitar Hero 5. I don't care much for either to be honest, but was just kind of weirded out how I had so few games from them this gen as such a big publisher (there might be another I'm forgetting possibly).

The only Activision title I own from this gen is Call of Duty 4. That game wasn't a bad game, but it certainly didn't entice me to buy into the CoD series any further.

You also forget that Activision has pretty much cut its entire catalogue down to Call of Duty and Blizzard, and unless you like those games, they literally have nothing to offer you. They no longer make Tony Hawk or Guitar/DJ Hero games, and I doubt we'll ever hear from outliers like Prototype again. Unless you like Call of Duty or were into music games during the plastic instrument craze, they don't really make anything else and it's easy to avoid them.

PSN: Super_King666
Nintendo: SanAndreasX
Steam: San_Andreas_X
3DS Friend Code: 2294-5129-1033
SanAndreasX
Biotic God

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher on Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:46 am

Call of Duty 4, Amazing Spider-Man and Guitar Hero 3 are the only Activision games I've bought but haven't traded in. Well, except the Blizzard ones because I have people who keep talking me into getting them. I had MW2, BLOPS 1, and Spiderman: Shattered Dimensions at one point, but never thought any of them were that good. Haven't even started ASM either.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Miraculous Kaydybug on Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:46 am

Activision has really just become one huge niche company really. They make games for their audience and no one else. Since I'm not part of that audience really they don't affect me. Cause of that I can't really hate them like I used to. Though for the record I still think CoD is shit.

Steam
Risette 3DS 3024 6121 9950 Nin. ID GoddessOfTheSeal Pixlbit http://gunstabwounds.tumblr.com/
Miraculous Kaydybug

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by Krubixcube on Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:34 am

I'm just sad because I know that if Mass Effect stayed on Steam I'd already have bought all the DLC by now...but NO they have to use Origin which I will never check ever because it's dumb and the only reason I installed it was because they forced me with Mass Effect. At least Steam is a benevolent DMC that gives me games at stupid prices. I can deal with that.

I get annoyed at Nintendo just because for every good game they have they have a million other mediocre entries in the same tired franchises. I just want to see them do something new. They have the talent there, they release good hardware (usually). I might even get a 3DS someday if the games are right...but that's a long way off.

Where did all the RPGs go? I HATE EVERYTHING!

Steam: Krubixcube         3DS Friend Code: 1950-9553-1102         PSN:KrubixCube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber on Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:08 am

Maybe I don't understand, what does EA do that is so horrible? I think that they do online passes so that way if you buy a used game the original company can still get some money out of it (which seems smart to me), but other than that not really sure what all of the hate is.

My reason for hating Activision is due to them ruining gamers. There are other great shooters out there that people don't buy because they can't stop throwing money at Call of Duty for the same exact game every year. Rock Band, which was the superior music game will no longer be making DLC and probably games because Activision was throwing out like 3-4 shitty Guitar Hero/DJ Hero games out a year. Now they're making Skylanders, and kids and parents are just throwing their money at all of the little figures when they could be trying new games that are better like Sly Cooper. They are doing things that hurt the industry in the long run in my opinion.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher on Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:44 pm

Let's see: SimCity debacle, the way they'll buy companies and force a business model that doesn't work so the company is like Bioware making Dragon Age 2 or gets shut down like Pandemic, and the way they force all of their games to become more and more similar to each other where everything needs some kind of multiplayer or other unnecessary features. Sometimes it turns out well like Mass Effect 3, but they just ruin good games and good developers in ways Activision does to a much smaller degree.
I agree on their shit with music games, but it's not like it was Activision alone that killed the music genre. Rock Band milked it plenty with Lego/Green Day Rock Band (Beatles I guess too, but people actually wanted that one) and other crap like Rock Revolution trying to cash in, it would have died out anyway.
The Skylanders example is just business. It's Sony's fault for not advertising that game and hoping that a $40 price tag was enough. I'm sure there are kids who would have bought Sly 4 instead of more Skylanders figures if Sony convinced put ads all over Nick and Cartoon Network. As someone who watches both of those regularly, I didn't see one single Sly 4 commercial. If Skylanders didn't exist, would they really have bought Sly or would they have bought some crappy game based on the newest Dreamworks movie? Also Skylanders is fucking awesome and I'll definitely be buying that new one the second I see a good Black Friday deal on it.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber on Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:23 pm

You never really see video game commercials anymore, which is kind of sad. Same thing with cereal commercials, used to love watching Barney stealing Fred's pebbles or Trix trying to trick kids so he could get a taste of his own morning delight. Commercials suck ass. I'm gonna go through some of the classics that I miss....

"I'm cuckoo for cocoa puffs!"
"Follow your nose."
"Me and the Captain makin' it happen!"
"Hearts, stars, horse shoes, clovers and blue moons. Lots of lucky rainbows, and the red balloons!"
"We eat what we like."

Besides the first one, I'm betting most people can guess which cereals I'm referring to. Video game companies (and cereal again, because I love cereal) need to attack those brain dead infantile drones like they used to attack me. Maybe they would if there were still cartoons to be found early morning besides Cartoon Network, Nickelodeon, and Disney.

I wasn't as annoyed with Rock Band like I was with Guitar Hero. The Beatles is way better than Van Halen, Metallica, Aerosmith, and all of cover versions of songs Guitar Hero had. At least Lego Rock Band was trying to make a game more suitable for kids. Green Day Rock Band? Now that was garbage, but the material was garbage so what can you do?

Now because of Skylanders there's the Disney Infinity game, and because of Activision all of these companies are gonna be jumping on board making toy related video games. The only company that can do it and not annoy me is Nintendo with Pokemon, but being a Pokemon game lover volvo I'm pretty sure you'd go broke. I hate Activision because their greed breeds idiocy.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher on Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:29 pm

Nintendo actually is doing that with the new Pokemon Rumble for the Wii U. Because my wallet isn't raped enough these days. I think idiocy is much more dangerous than greed though. Greed hurts industries, idiocy destroys them.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 on Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:24 pm

I'm going to get killed for this, but why do people take such offense by online passes?
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher on Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:34 pm

I would probably be a lot less bothered by online passes if they were the only thing a publisher used to get more money, but when they're combined with season passes, microtransactions, on disc DLC and all these other things it makes me feel like they're trying to squeeze every penny out of me. Also, putting in a code using the PS3 or 360's D-Pad is the last thing I want to do when I start up a new game, it takes some fun out of getting a new game.
The thing that really gets me though is how they encourage shoving multiplayer into everything. Dead Space 2 and 3 are good examples. I don't think all of them are bad, Mass Effect 2's just gave DLC the developers were still working on. I thought that was awesome. But to have to put in a code for something on the disc that could have been tacked on just for that reason irritates me.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Miraculous Kaydybug on Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:49 pm

It's not so much the pass itself, but the idea of forcing the consumer to buy new. Its another form of DRM, and i'm against all forms of DRM. They are punishing people who buy used when they should just be giving incentives for people to buy new. Stuff like preorder bonuses, free DLC, etc.

Steam
Miraculous Kaydybug

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 on Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:52 pm

Ah that makes sense. Yeah the idea of them does encourage shitty multiplayer modes so they can include them. That is definitely a good point. I don't think the idea on its own is the worst thing. Making people who buy used pay to play the online component aspect never really bothered me. But things have really snowballed from there.

Explain to me ME2's. Do you mean a code comes with new copies for an upcoming DLC pack or something? Alan Wake did that as well. That seems okay to me again assuming it isn't content held back from the game (which would be an issue with the DLC in the first place).
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Miraculous Kaydybug on Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:09 pm

and then they do add MP achievments/trophies to some of them. So even if the MP is shit you still need the pass if you want those.

Steam
Miraculous Kaydybug

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 on Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:23 pm

Well I'd argue that that is a whole other issue. There shouldn't be multiplayer achievements period. But I suppose it might add to the problem for some people at the moment.

I feel like Xbox Live Gold is much worse. But it might have to do with how many games I actually play multiplayer a year. And the fact that I typically buy new.
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher on Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:13 pm

Yeah, ME2 was basically for something called Cerberus pack which gave you a few DLC missions free. PS3 version even took it a step further and offered DLC that wasn't included in the 360's Cerberus pack.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber on Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:16 pm

Online passes never bother me because like Trip I buy new. Putting in the code does suck, but once it is done it is done. Online passes just to protect the developers so they can some how make a buck off of used games is something I strongly approve of.

Online trophies shouldn't be there. The only game I enjoy them in are Killzone games, but typically they're given out just for using your classes right.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher on Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:23 pm

The thing is that it's just a band-aid to better ways for developers to fight used games. They're putting in online passes instead of things like pricing games competitively or budgeting them appropriately. There's also that they discourage people who aren't willing to spend $60 from buying used and possibly liking the game enough to buy the sequel day one. I bought Kotor for $7 because it wasn't as much of a gamble as $20 and have bought every single Bioware game day one since and it's not alone in this.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SanAndreasX on Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:47 pm

volvocrusher wrote:The thing is that it's just a band-aid to better ways for developers to fight used games. They're putting in online passes instead of things like pricing games competitively or budgeting them appropriately. There's also that they discourage people who aren't willing to spend $60 from buying used and possibly liking the game enough to buy the sequel day one. I bought Kotor for $7 because it wasn't as much of a gamble as $20 and have bought every single Bioware game day one since and it's not alone in this.

This all the way. Not every game should be 60 bucks. And EA isn't losing money because of pirates or secondhand games. They sell more games than any company other than Nintendo. They lose money because of piss-poor management and bad business decisions, and those costs get rolled onto the consumer in the form of all this monetization. I'll bet EA is going to take a bath on SimCity, but they deserve it. Online-only, forced MP was the wrong way to go, and the core game has been stripped down to the point where the only SC game that had less complexity and fewer options than Simcity 2013 was the original SimCity that I played in EGA graphics on a 8088 XT PC way back in the 1980s.

SanAndreasX
Biotic God

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Miraculous Kaydybug on Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:43 pm

Most people who buy a game used probably weren't going to buy it new in the first place because not every game is worth full price to everyone. Used games are a way for people to have more freedom on what they pay for a game. Your average consumer isn't willing to drop $60 on every game they want to play. Taking away the used market wont give anyone anymore sales. It will just take away options for people looking to have more flexible options for what they pay for games, and actually take away sales from those who trade in games so they can buy new.

Steam
Miraculous Kaydybug

Back to top Go down

Post by Nephilimi on Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:59 pm

volvocrusher wrote:I would probably be a lot less bothered by online passes if they were the only thing a publisher used to get more money, but when they're combined with season passes, microtransactions, on disc DLC and all these other things it makes me feel like they're trying to squeeze every penny out of me. Also, putting in a code using the PS3 or 360's D-Pad is the last thing I want to do when I start up a new game, it takes some fun out of getting a new game.
The thing that really gets me though is how they encourage shoving multiplayer into everything. Dead Space 2 and 3 are good examples. I don't think all of them are bad, Mass Effect 2's just gave DLC the developers were still working on. I thought that was awesome. But to have to put in a code for something on the disc that could have been tacked on just for that reason irritates me.

This is how I feel about them too. They aren't that offensive by themselves I suppose. But it's just one part of a series of tricks and scams to make a cheap buck at our expense.

Nephilimi
Currently Looking Through Their Ascot Closet

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SanAndreasX on Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:53 am

pspiddy wrote:When it comes to EA I've become indifferent. I don't care if they use always online DRM for pc. I'll just buy the game legit and then go download a pirated version. It's idiotic on their part, but at this point I don't care. On console it's a different story; fuck any console that would require always online. I spend an obscene amount of ends on games and some companies want to make it difficult for me to give them money? Insanity. Like microsoft points; what the hell is that about?

Video games are supposed to be fun. What EA is doing is throwing up barriers between their audience and fun. If you have to go through the aggravation of dealing with Origin/EA's perpetually fucked-up servers, that's not fun. If you have to bring your attorney to Gamestop to interpret EULAs, that's not fun. Money I may have spent on their product instead goes to their less avaricious competitors. CD Projekt RED makes a point of no DRM on its games. They also make games that look great and can do so without needing 5 million units sold just to break even.

SanAndreasX
Biotic God

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube on Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:47 pm

...That is the most succinct and accurate debasing of a company I've seen. We should do more top 5's in this style.

Steam: Krubixcube         3DS Friend Code: 1950-9553-1102         PSN:KrubixCube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain N on Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:07 pm

I own only 2 Activision games from this gen, that's Spider-Man Shattered Dimensions and Transformers War for Cybertron. Call me what you want but I love Transformers too much to pass up on it. Gonna try and get Fall of Cybertron later this year.

And agreed, not every single game is worth 60 bucks. I rarely buy a 60 dollar game at launch, I make exceptions if we're gonna have game nights like Injustice. I just take a wait and see approach for games I'm interested in but not willing to put down 60 bucks for.
Captain N
Volgin's Hand on my Crotch

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Bannen on Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:40 pm

Hey there, it's all EA, all the time on this one. Yawn.

EA at least makes games I'll play. I don't play on PC, so the SimCity mess was fun to watch but had zero impact. I've got about six EA games in my current rotation, and they're all fun - even Dead Space 3, where the micro-transaction stuff has cost me exactly zero dollars, and is still a fun time.

Activision makes terrible recycled shit. EA, for all of its various attempts to earn more money (as all companies do, Nintendo included - Wind Waker HD? Welcome to your retread purchase. But it's Nintendo, so free passes for everyone!), at least seems to try to make the underlying games fun. The EA hate, at this point, is blind mob mentality and vomited bullet points.
Bannen
Asks for the "Guile" at the Barbershop

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Bannen on Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:42 pm

Captain N wrote:I own only 2 Activision games from this gen, that's Spider-Man Shattered Dimensions and Transformers War for Cybertron. Call me what you want but I love Transformers too much to pass up on it. Gonna try and get Fall of Cybertron later this year.

And agreed, not every single game is worth 60 bucks. I rarely buy a 60 dollar game at launch, I make exceptions if we're gonna have game nights like Injustice. I just take a wait and see approach for games I'm interested in but not willing to put down 60 bucks for.
Shattered Dimension is fucking awesome. I love that game. But, as Activision is so happy to do, they piled Spider-Man games on Beenox and we end up with Edge of Time and Amazing Spider-Man - both pieces of shit. I'd ask for a sequel to Shattered Dimensions, but at this point, it would likely be terrible.
Bannen
Asks for the "Guile" at the Barbershop

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top