The Play Station
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Top 5 Gaming Goals For 2018 (with 2016 and 2017 also mixed in)
by BretBaber Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:47 pm

» Now Playing
by volvocrusher Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:27 pm

» General TV Show Discussion
by volvocrusher Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:48 pm

» First Half of 2018 Questionnaire (GotY So Far, etc.)
by volvocrusher Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:35 pm

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Top 5 Worst Publishers

+7
ajapam
TripOpt55
SanAndreasX
Miraculous Kaydybug
Krubixcube
Captain N
volvocrusher
11 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Top 5 Worst Publishers Empty Top 5 Worst Publishers

Post by volvocrusher Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:15 pm

Should be simple enough. Also Neph, just know that if you put Nintendo at number 1 there probably will be at least someone calling bullshit. Just saying.
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Top 5 Worst Publishers Empty Re: Top 5 Worst Publishers

Post by Captain N Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:21 pm

1 EA
2 EA
3 EA
4 EA
5 EA

And yes I'll call bs on the Nintendo thing Razz
Captain N
Captain N
Volgin's Hand on my Crotch

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:31 am

I call BS on your all EA answer =p.

Nintendo's a weird one because a branch of that country is fucking bullshit, recycling the same shit year after year and the other half makes awesome games. It's a toughy. But publishers not developers right?

1. EA - well...yeah.

2. Square Enix - since they don't make games anymore...and the games they do get aren't BAD but they don't know how to market or handle them effectively enough to make a profit.

3. There will be others here...

5. The bad side of Nintendo
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:48 am

I definitely wouldn't say know to someone putting Nintendo on the list even though I disagree, it's just putting them at one is like if Joker's causing trouble and Batman goes after Two Face. Anyways,

1. EA- I don't think anyone can even compete. That said, stop saying they're worse than companies committing all these crimes which screw over taxpayers people!
2. Capcom- I don't care how good one of their games looks, I won't buy it day one because I know they'll be holding content from us, sometimes on the disc.
3. Ubisoft- Deserve a spot just for releasing Assassin's Creed 3. But the DRM, piles of shovelware onto each new system, and always holding Beyond Good and Evil 2 hostage to get people to buy their games annoys me. And I didn't even like BG&E.
4. Zynga- They don't even make games. They make Skinner boxes
5. Sony- They do make a lot of awesome games, I agree. In fact, they'd be one of my favorite publishers if they didn't make consoles. But the Playstation Store alone makes them deserve a spot on this list. Not to mention that they knew people's credit card info may have been stolen and waited a week to tell them.
It's funny how Activision got everyone hating them then just let everyone else fight to steal their number one spot, huh? I mean, they're just as bad as they were three years ago, but they look better just because they're not these guys.
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Miraculous Kaydybug Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:53 am

1. EA- Simcity anyone?

2. Capcom- ON DISC DLC. Also expecting EVERY GAME to sell CoD numbers

3. Sony-Pretty much the same reasons greenman has, but I like to add one thing FUCK THE PS STORE!

4. Tecmo Koei America-Releasing games on PSN without even announcing them is just fucking genius

5. Sega-Do they even advertise anything?!
Miraculous Kaydybug
Miraculous Kaydybug
Sees Tetris Blocks EVERYWHERE

http://gunstabwounds.tumblr.com/stabs

Back to top Go down

Post by SanAndreasX Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:21 am

Looks like Captain N beat me to the "answer EA five times". That's how I actually feel, but I'll bite...

1. EA. Gaming's equivalent of cancer, AIDS, the Black Death, rabies, whatever. Between DRM that treats customers like criminals, killing countless studios like Origin, Westwood, Pandemic, and Maxis, if there's something ugly going on in the world of gaming, it probably started at EA or was popularized in the industry by EA. And sadly, that isn't really hyperbole. This company needs to die in a fire. And its ashes need to be salted.

2. Ubisoft. Basically EA Junior.

3. Zynga. One of the few things EA didn't unleash on us was cash shops and microtransactions. Zynga popularized those in the USA. They should have left that particular pile of shit in Korea and China.

4. Capcom. I think that on-disc DLC is flaky, but I don't hold the same venom for them that others do. They've made some fairly good games, at least.

5. Microsoft. Not because of their games, although I don't care for Halo, Gears, Forza, or Fable - at least they don't do online passes, I can say that much for them - but I'm not too happy with how they handled my Xbox that was killed by the E74 error or the prospect of the Nextbox being online-only.

I can't really bring myself to put Activision on this list. Yes, they ride that Call of Duty gravy train, but most of what that company does wrong these days is confined to the part of it that people used to love, Blizzard. Activision doesn't do online passes and they've left a far smaller body count of dead studios than EA has. The best I can say is that they only shit in their own backyard while EA shits all over everything else. And since I don't care about Call of Duty or Blizzard, what they do doesn't really affect me.
SanAndreasX
SanAndreasX
Biotic God

Back to top Go down

Post by Miraculous Kaydybug Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:42 am

I really haven't paid any attention to Ubisoft, they published NMH1 and NMH2 and I bought BG&E HD back when it was released, but other than that i dont even know what they do. This is probably a good thing.

And i like to pretend Zynga doesnt exist.

I guess I only picked companies I've actually bought things from.
Miraculous Kaydybug
Miraculous Kaydybug

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:35 am

To be fair, shouldn't we be judging the companies based on the games they publish, not for hardware hiccups? Similarly, one could argue the PSN is not necessarily on the same branch as publishing side of Sony...
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:04 am

I think it's fair since you have to buy their hardware to play their games.
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:32 pm

I was thinking the same thing as Twolf. But if are including that sort of stuff I'm surprised anyone would put Sony above Microsoft given that they launched the 360 with its ridiculous failure rate. Throw in making you pay to play online and how their catalog of games is significantly worse than Sony's and I'm definitely surprised.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

http://thetripleoption.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:02 pm

A large part of why I put Sony on there was for that BS they put me through a couple months ago. When I did the same when I had a RROD, it was quick and easy, they paid for everything and even sent a box for me with a free month of Live. Sony definitely makes the better games, but using their interface is such a chore compared to my 360, which ends up irking me more.
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by ajapam Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:09 pm

EA is the worst. I didn't hate them as much as everyone else did before, but that whole Sim City thing was a mess.

I don't think Sony deserves any more flak than Microsoft. Sony does some dumb shit but they didn't ship a product that was practically broken (which Microsoft did at least twice, based on my experience with Windows 8.) Microsoft gets extra dumbass points for locking you out of seperate paid services like Netflix when you don't have gold.
ajapam
ajapam
Jill Sandwich

Back to top Go down

Post by SanAndreasX Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:45 pm

ajapam wrote:EA is the worst. I didn't hate them as much as everyone else did before, but that whole Sim City thing was a mess.

I don't think Sony deserves any more flak than Microsoft. Sony does some dumb shit but they didn't ship a product that was practically broken (which Microsoft did at least twice, based on my experience with Windows 8.) Microsoft gets extra dumbass points for locking you out of seperate paid services like Netflix when you don't have gold.

One thing I've learned with Microsoft: never give them a credit card. The same thing can be said about Sony, LOL, but I never put my CC info on PSN even before PSNgate 2011, thanks to the shit I went through with MS and trying to get a credit card I was dumb enough to put on Live off. It's also kind of flaky how all the stuff to cancel Xbox Live on MS's website is always broken.

Oh, and Windows 8? It was finely crafted compared to the steaming pile of elephant diarrhea that was Windows Vista.
SanAndreasX
SanAndreasX
Biotic God

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:50 pm

YOu never had 7? Seven was infinitely better to vista. Physically smaller as well.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by ajapam Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:00 pm

If Vista was worse than 8, I'm glad I missed out on that hellhole
ajapam
ajapam
Jill Sandwich

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:08 pm

I've said it once, but I'll say it again. Windows releases it's usually every other release they get right. I waited through Vista for 7 and can say 100% I made the right choice there
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by SanAndreasX Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:06 am

Kayshire Cat wrote:I really haven't paid any attention to Ubisoft, they published NMH1 and NMH2 and I bought BG&E HD back when it was released, but other than that i dont even know what they do. This is probably a good thing.

And i like to pretend Zynga doesnt exist.

I guess I only picked companies I've actually bought things from.

Ubisoft pulls a lot of the same DRM crap that EA does, including always-online gameplay. And Ubisoft generally only makes single-player games. I'm really hesitant to buy anything from them. I was interested in the South Park RPG, but the fact that Ubisoft is publishing it if it ever sees a release makes me hesitant on it. I might hold my nose and buy it, since I like Obsidian Entertainment (makers of Fallout: New Vegas!). Oh, and EA owns a 25% stake in Ubisoft.

I did see what you said about Sega. They're actually my favorite publisher this generation, since they published a lot of my favorite games of the generation. I do wish they'd put a little more advertising muscle into their games and pick better release dates for them.
SanAndreasX
SanAndreasX
Biotic God

Back to top Go down

Post by SanAndreasX Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:09 am

Windows 7 was all right. I'm using it, and I generally don't notice it much. That, to me, is a successful Windows release. It may be mediocre, but as long as Windows is not bothering me, I'm happy. Vista, however, bothered me constantly, its security was shit, and it was a nightmare in compatibility. Whoever was the lead architect of Vista should have been fired from Microsoft and blackballed from the software industry.
SanAndreasX
SanAndreasX
Biotic God

Back to top Go down

Post by Miraculous Kaydybug Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:36 am

SanAndreasX wrote:

Ubisoft pulls a lot of the same DRM crap that EA does, including always-online gameplay. And Ubisoft generally only makes single-player games. I'm really hesitant to buy anything from them. I was interested in the South Park RPG, but the fact that Ubisoft is publishing it if it ever sees a release makes me hesitant on it. I might hold my nose and buy it, since I like Obsidian Entertainment (makers of Fallout: New Vegas!). Oh, and EA owns a 25% stake in Ubisoft.

I did see what you said about Sega. They're actually my favorite publisher this generation, since they published a lot of my favorite games of the generation. I do wish they'd put a little more advertising muscle into their games and pick better release dates for them.

Sega has put out a lot of good games this gen, just ugh they dont get any advertisement and usually don't end up selling very well. I can say the same thing about Tecmo Koei, and to some extent Sony as well. I guess a lot of my ire comes from the fact that i'd like to see their games do a lot better than they are.
Miraculous Kaydybug
Miraculous Kaydybug

Back to top Go down

Post by Nephilimi Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:28 am

Well I will just do this based on games rather than hardware issues because based on games alone there's no way Sony or even Microsoft should make anyone's top 5. I'm kind of confusing publishers and developers here but whatever.

1. Square Enix - I just really hate them for their arrogance and for their complete incompetence. They've ran themselves into the ground on pure stupidity rather than the malicious greed of the other developers and for some reason that makes me even more angry at them.

2. Activision - They are just terrible and it's a shame that they've been slipping under the radar these days while EA makes these big public blunders. Activision just ruins games. Even when they do something good, they immediately milk it to death while COD pays all their bills.

3. Capcom - I hate so many Capcom games (they do have a few gems) and their trophies are always killer. But mostly I don't think any company has abused DLC as much as Capcom. Cut the ending off Asura's Wrath and sell it to us for 5 bucks you dumb cunts.

4. Nintendo - For shoveling the same shit over and over while all the sheep mewl and clap for more creating a giant void in gaming culture.

5. Ubisoft - For wanting to be like the big boys EA and Activision and adopting so many bad business practices. Also for milking AC so so so much. But mostly for the jump backwards off the wall mechanic included in all their games. Oh and also for always having the worst E3 presentations.

Honorable mention - Gearbox for having no fucking clue what they are doing.

Nephilimi
Currently Looking Through Their Ascot Closet

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:46 am

I think that actually sums up my thoughts on Square Enix quite well.

I would throw in my hat with Ubisoft as well but I haven't bought an Ubisoft game in years...but maybe that just proves the point even more. I recall a time when I liked them though...
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Miraculous Kaydybug Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:00 pm

Gearbox is a developer not a publisher
Miraculous Kaydybug
Miraculous Kaydybug

Back to top Go down

Post by Nephilimi Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:22 pm

Nephilimi wrote:Well I will just do this based on games rather than hardware issues because based on games alone there's no way Sony or even Microsoft should make anyone's top 5. I'm kind of confusing publishers and developers here but whatever.

Honorable mention - Gearbox for having no fucking clue what they are doing.

Kayshire Cat wrote:Gearbox is a developer not a publisher

Nephilimi

Back to top Go down

Post by SanAndreasX Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:25 pm

Like I said about Activision, they slip under my radar because for the most part, they only shit on themselves and their games while EA shits all over the entire industry like an elephant drinking a swimming pool full of milk of magnesium. Most of Activision's worst sins these days are actually coming from the Blizzard half of the company.
SanAndreasX
SanAndreasX
Biotic God

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain N Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:18 pm

I agree about Sega. I haven't played all of their games this gen but from what I've seen, they've had a pretty good gen for their games. The problem like everyone mentioned is their lack of advertisement in their games. I mean Sonic and All-stars Racing Transformed is their best game this gen, and they didn't even bother to advertise it. And I think it's not fair that games like NFS MW or whatever other racing game came out last year got noticed over the awesome idea Sega had.

As for Gearbox, I kind of hate them because they basically gave Sega the middle finger with Aliens: Colonial Marines. Sega gave Gearbox a fuckload of money to make the best Aliens game ever, but GB spent all of that on Borderlands 1&2. So that means those IP's should belong to Sega, but it's also Sega's fault for not checking up on Gearbox.
Captain N
Captain N

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:50 am

1. Activision - What they do with franchises is just sickening. I don't hate Call of Duty or Guitar Hero, what I hate is how they milk the shit out of them. Instead of churning out the same shit every year, why not make a great one every two years. I blame Activision for ruining music games by coming out with a game every 3 months it seemed like. Now I will never have In Utero on Rock Band, so thank you fuckers.

2. Squre-Enix - Not because I think they make horrible games, but because the only good ones they make seem to be handhelds. I'm sure everyone else that loves their games remembers getting excited for every Squaresoft game. Even Square-EA. The PS2 brought even more great years. What has the PS3 brought us? It's depressing, the power of this system should have brought us some really gorgeous and awesome games. Instead they release some good games for the DS and way too many good/crappy games for phones.

3. Microsoft - Nothing to do with their games, but knowing that you have to pay $60 a month to play online and $10 more for a wireless controller that isn't even rechargeable is just dumb in my opinion.

4. Crytek - I think this is the company that bought Timesplitters/Free Radical. I hate you because I want Timesplitters 4.

5. Nintendo - Not because I hate Mario or Zelda or their games (I really like their games), but because they've created a shit load of casual gamers that buy shit like Just Dance, Wii Fit, Zumba Party, etc... Resulting in game companies just making bull shit games to cater to these idiots because they flock like sheep. I bet 10-20% of Wii owners only own Wii Sports. That is extremely pathetic and annoying and harmful to people that enjoy games.

I really don't hate EA like everyone else. They give me FIFA, which makes me happy.
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain N Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:23 pm

I think the reason Call of Duty get's milked every year is because of all the people who buy it. Think about it, how many people buy those games at launch? Activision sees the sales and they make a new one because they know people will buy it. So it's not CoD's fault, is the people who buy the same game every year, just with a different coat of grey or whatever colors it has. I'm giving Activision a pass because they have Bungie making Destiny.

EA, no just no. I mean they give me NFS just like they give you Fifa, but they don't make it, they publish them. I'd give them a pass just for NFS alone but all the shit they do makes it hard to turn a blind eye.

And the DS/3DS and any handheld device is really the only last safe haven for rpgs. I mean alot of people complain about the lack of rpgs this gen and that they are a dying breed. But what most people don't notice is that they have been a surge of them on the DS and PSP for years. I mean the DS has Pokemon, DQ, and more, and the PSP has it's own fare share of rpgs.

Captain N
Captain N

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:39 pm

Activision sucks, but they suck in a way I'm okay with. They know what they intend to make just for sales and what to make to please gamers so they can later milk that. I don't like it, but it's easy to ignore unlike EA who tries to use every game to squeeze every penny out of the player.
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Nephilimi Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:22 pm

volvocrusher wrote:Activision sucks, but they suck in a way I'm okay with. They know what they intend to make just for sales and what to make to please gamers so they can later milk that. I don't like it, but it's easy to ignore unlike EA who tries to use every game to squeeze every penny out of the player.

For me I would say the same thing but switch EA and Activision. EA sucked in a way I was okay with. Up until a year and a half ago they were making enough new IPs and taking enough creative risks that I could ignore the other problems. But now with Bioware being gutted, Dead Space 3 being ruined and Fuse... I don't know anymore. Stuff like the SimCity fiasco and Origins are bad, but it's them trying out new ways to make a buck at our expense. Activision just fucks us nice and regularly without being apologetic or creative in the way they do it. 60 dollars for 4 hour movie tie in games that are crap. Immediately milking and destroying any hint of a successful developer. Call of Duty. And they contribute nothing new or interesting to the industry at all, that's the worst part for me. There's nothing redeeming about Activision. Recently they've just kept quite and made their money while EA shoots itself in the foot.

Nephilimi

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:28 pm

I don't think I play enough games that EA publishes to hate them. When it comes to their conferences at E3 I never really watch it. Same with Ubisoft. The top 5 I listed have in some way done something to piss me off personally.
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next