The Play Station
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Top 5 Gaming Goals For 2018 (with 2016 and 2017 also mixed in)
by BretBaber Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:47 pm

» Now Playing
by volvocrusher Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:27 pm

» General TV Show Discussion
by volvocrusher Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:48 pm

» First Half of 2018 Questionnaire (GotY So Far, etc.)
by volvocrusher Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:35 pm

March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Top 5 Video Game Related Presents/Treasures

+10
TripOpt55
Nephilimi
pspiddy
Krubixcube
SanAndreasX
avidacridjam
Captain N
Miraculous Kaydybug
volvocrusher
BretBaber
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Top 5 Video Game Related Presents/Treasures Empty Top 5 Video Game Related Presents/Treasures

Post by BretBaber Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:12 am

We all play games, so chances are very high that over the course of our lives we have been gifted video games. This Top 5 topic is about the Top 5 Gaming Related goodies you have got over the course of your life. It doesn't have to be limited to just a game though, it could be a gaming related toy (as in a Metal Gear Solid action figure), a soundtrack to a game, a strategy guide, a console, etc... Just make sure they are gaming related, no one wants to hear about your football or BB gun. I know I've easily gotten 100 gaming related presents over my life, so dig deep my friends and tell us your stories, no matter how weird they are.
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

Top 5 Video Game Related Presents/Treasures Empty Re: Top 5 Video Game Related Presents/Treasures

Post by volvocrusher Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:52 am

But my story of how I got my Red Rider is amazing....Anyways, I only have three awesome gaming stories. So I'll just do a top 3.

3. Donkey Kong 94- After I got my Gameboy, the first game I wanted was Donkey Kong Land. I didn't even know about the remake of the arcade game. But because I told my mom I wanted, "Donkey Kong" for Christmas, she got me this. And you know what? It was so much better than all the SNES DKC games, the Land ones couldn't even compare.
2. My first Gameboy- It was a hand me down from my older cousin for my birthday. It didn't even have the outer screen on it which made it look so cheap and ghetto. But I didn't care. I was having a blast playing Wario Land and Pokemon!
1. My XBOX with Halo 2- As good as Christmas gifts can get. I remember the anticipation of getting through my little presents placed on top of and in front of the giant box that I was hoping would be an XBOX. I remember how there was a weird shaped package that said to be opened last with and ended up having Halo 2 with some soup cans to throw me off. And I remember that feeling booting up the game to be greeted by this in my first console game before I even pressed start to let me know I was in for something special

As someone who owned nothing but Gameboy and Neo Geo Pocket Color before, that shit blew my mind. The way it used music, sound, and the graphics together was something I could never get from a portable at the time. My first console. My first FPS. My first Halo. Best Christmas gift ever
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Top 5 Video Game Related Presents/Treasures Empty Re: Top 5 Video Game Related Presents/Treasures

Post by BretBaber Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:18 am

^ Gaming happiness. I think as gamers we get the best presents. They're just something special about certain games.
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

Post by Miraculous Kaydybug Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:51 pm

I don't really have too much since compared to most people here i haven't been a gamer for very long (9-10 years i'd say) but i got these.

Top 5 Video Game Related Presents/Treasures BG9EU1SCUAADpjL

The Ayane and Kasumi figures i got at a con i went to, and The Devil Summoner 2 CE i got at a gamestop that was clearing it out for like $15 I got really lucky with that

I also got a new copy of Nocturne for Christmas one year my Vita for Christmas last year. I can't find the box for Nocturne, and my Vita is my camera so no pics of those.

I think thats 5 maybe.
Miraculous Kaydybug
Miraculous Kaydybug
Sees Tetris Blocks EVERYWHERE

http://gunstabwounds.tumblr.com/stabs

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain N Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:42 pm

Damn, I have a ton so I'll just post some pics later. That and I have to find and unbox some stuff.
Captain N
Captain N
Volgin's Hand on my Crotch

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain N Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:43 pm

I'm liking Kay's Ayane and Kasumi statues/figures. I don't have anything too flashy like that, the only ones that are somewhat like that is a Power Girl figure and Catwoman one.
Captain N
Captain N
Volgin's Hand on my Crotch

Back to top Go down

Post by avidacridjam Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:10 pm

1. Getting the NES bundle (with Super Mario Bros/Duck Hunt) for Christmas 1988 was a big deal. Even bigger was the way I convinced my family to hook it up in MY bedroom.

2. Same situation with the SNES. I don't think anyone was as crazy about it as I was. The only deal (and this applied to the NES as well) is that for a while I'd frequently have a family member in my room wanting to use it. I lived with it. Wink

3. Donkey Kong Country. Got it for Christmas the year it came out. I recognized the shape of the game box when it was wrapped so periodically I would sneak into the den where the tree was, slightly open a small section of the package to confirm that the box was the game (it was). I must have done this 5-6 times up till Christmas morning. Then I had to fake amazement when I unwrapped it. I didn't have to fake the joy, though.

4. Street Fighter II (SNES). This I got for my 12th birthday and I was so excited. I recall being able to leave school a little early, saying goodbye to my friends, knowing I was going to have a party (I'm sure there was something else going on that would require me to leave early but I don't remember) but knowing that SFII was the main gift was a big deal.

5. I don't recall if this was a birthday or Christmas gift but one day my parents came home from yard sale shopping (for all I know they still do that) and brought back a box filled with Atari 2600 games. Some of them we had, most of them we didn't. The Atari, by the way, stayed in my brother's room. I may have had the superior system but he always had more games. And we had plenty of great multiplayer sessions (Combat, Pele's Soccer, that shitty port of Pac-Man).
avidacridjam
avidacridjam
Beary Bad Joker

Back to top Go down

Post by SanAndreasX Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:15 pm

1. My first Game Boy, back in 1989, when they first came out. Came with Tetris and my folks also got me Super Mario Land. Two weeks later, for my birthday, I got the rechargeable battery pack, which saved my folks some serious dough.
2. The SNES Zelda bundle I got for Christmas in 1994. There never was a better pack-in game.
3. My PS2 I got in 2001, which came with Gran Turismo 3. After Christmas, I went out and bought the game I REALLY wanted - Final Fantasy X.
4. Wii U - Birthday present this year
5. Hyrule Historia - Valentines' Day present. Loved reliving all that Zelda history.

Last edited by SanAndreasX on Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:35 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : ...)
SanAndreasX
SanAndreasX
Biotic God

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:52 pm

1. The Playstation with FF7 - I have my dad to thank for my love of RPGs because he did some research (like he always does for everything) and said "these Final Fantasy games seem pretty popular with the kiddies" and I hated it at first, it was the first RPG I'd ever seen since my friends who had consoles as a kid only played platformers and action games. So thanks Dad! Not to mention I had the N64 but my parents didn't really get a ton of games and it needed lots of accessories to work right so the PSX felt like my first real console (no they didn't get me a SNES or a Genesis or anything before either)

2. Final Fantasy IX - I know...two final fantasy games but I was looking forward to this one SO much and my dad even got a "best of" soundtrack CD with it too which I thought was pretty cool.

3. The Nintendo DS - I was always interested in the DS but never really thought I'd buy the thing...but then my gf did it for me as a graduation present and I'm glad as hell she did.

4. My PS2 was a birthday present
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:19 pm

5. Metal Gear Solid action figures - Growing up me and my best friend would always get each other birthday/Christmas presents. We would almost always get each other an action figure of some sorts, and he started the tradition with an awesome package of Solid Snake and Meryl. I've always wanted to open it, but never have. I should take a picture of it, but we're in the process of packing and moving so that would be counter productive. He also got me 4 Final Fantasy VIII action figures, but those aren't as cool because the game isn't as cool.

4. Final Fantasy X - Another gift from my friend for Christmas. He pre-ordered the game at a mall, and those who pre-ordered the game got it a day early for some reason. I remember after school we went up to the mall, and we had to wait for a really long time until they finally got their shipment of the game. I remember when it finally came and my friend picked it up, he wouldn't give it to me until we almost got home (close to an hour drive) because he said it wasn't Christmas yet. Finally he gave it to me and I got to play it an hour before I had to go to bed for school the next day.

3. Playstation 2 - This one could be a cheap entry into the top 5, but I don't care. The PS2 had been out for a couple months, and I still wasn't able to find one. Christmas passed, and it was all that I wanted but the parents couldn't find one. My mother and myself were in K-Mart when I went back to electronics and happened to see one of them in the case. I believe they were $300, so it was quite expensive, so I knew I had some talking to do to get one of these bad boys that I already had a game for, DVD, and an extra controller (Timesplitters, I Know What You Did Last Summer which was my first DVD). The semester at school just happened to finish, so I was going to use grades as way to try to get the system. I told her "But mom, I got good grades, I should be rewarded." The thing is, I didn't get good grades, but she wouldn't know for a week or two. After pleading, I got my way and got a copy of FIFA 2001 as well. It was a good night.

2. Final Fantasy VII - Joe Rybicki wrote a review in the first ever OPM issue that I read over and over again, and that was for Final Fantasy VII. Never played a Final Fantasy game before. I didn't even know what a role playing game was. In the review he wrote things like "a well developed epic story", "kind of linear", and other terms I really didn't understand. Up until this point, the games I was playing were Tekken 2, NHL Open Ice (think NBA Jam before NHL Hitz), and who knows what other crappers. I remember just staring at the picture of the chocobo ranch and seeing the silo and thinking the game looked beautiful. Knowing nothing of the series, I had to get the game for some reason. Prior to Christmas, I kept having dreams of playing a game I really knew nothing about other than the praise Mr. Rybicki gave it. Then Christmas came and I got it. I played and played, and over the course of Christmas break I really only managed to get out of Midgar. I was amazed at how huge the game felt. One point I remember being stuck at a point and I kept playing and playing and being very frustrated. My mom came in and said "You need to stop playing that game." "Why?" I replied. "Your pupils are getting all dilated." No gaming experience will ever compare to the joy I got from that game.

1. Playstation - I grew up on Nintend and the Super Nintendo. I played games a lot, but preferred the outdoor playing to the indoor playing growing up. As Jr. High approached though, I started to play games a bit more. One day in the mail I got a VHS tape about the next Nintendo system, the Nintendo 64. It was a 15 minute tape showing Mario 64, Pilotwings, and only a couple others. I was determined to get that for Christmas this year, and I made sure my parents knew. Sometime in November or December, I remember my dad saying "Bret, I was talking to guys at work and they said the way to go is Playstation." Why they were saying that I didn't really know, and I was feeling a bit let down. All signs were pointing to Playstation, so they told me to look for some games for that. I saw a commercial for Tekken 2 and thought it looked great, so I asked for that because at the time fighting and sports games were my favorite. The other game I really wanted was NHL Open Ice. Christmas came, and when I opened up my gifts that instead of what I wanted I got a Playstation. Best disappointment of a gift ever. I don't think I'd be into games as much as I am today if I would have got a Nintendo 64 instead. I'm so thankful my dad for whatever reason listened to his co-workers. I still like Nintendo, but their games don't compare to the ones Sony puts out.
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by BretBaber Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:12 pm

Mother's are really awesome. My mom always made sure she made me happy and did things for me. I swear she went to everyone of my soccer games throughout high school. Same couldn't be said for my dad, but he did get me the Playstation so props to him for that.
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

Post by Nephilimi Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:11 pm

Wow. You guys all got really cool gaming gifts. Maybe it's because we were so poor or because my dad was an asshole, but I never got any good gaming gifts. And now my wife, sister or inlaws just defer to whatever list of games I provide to them. I never had any gaming systems growing up aside from gameboy and I bought our family out first pc.

I think I only ever got two games from my parents. One of the original PC Raymans... a game so frustrating I punched our monitor off the table. I think it started my aversion to cartoony platformers. And Disciples Sacred Lands or something from the bargain bin. It was a fun game.

But my coolest gaming gift was from my in-laws. They actually both lined up and bought me a Wii on day one. They are the coolest people in the whole world.

Nephilimi
Currently Looking Through Their Ascot Closet

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:02 pm

I really have a shitty memory as far as when I got things when I was younger. Like how or when I got my systems pre-PlayStation 1... I just can't recall well, but I'll give this a shot with what I can remember.

PlayStation 2: I got this for Christmas when I was in high school. I got it with NCAA Football. My brother got GTA3 and we just played those games all day. Also my all-time favorite system still, so looking back an excellent gift.

Sega Channel: I actually had to ask my brother how we got this to begin with. I guess my aunt got it for us. I remember how much fun it was. For those that don't know, it hooked through your cable and got inserted into your Sega Genesis and it would let you play a bunch of full games and demos for a monthly fee. Kind of ahead of its time. We had it until Sega stopped supporting it. It was awesome.

As most people know there was this period of time particularly during the first PS1/N64 era where I didn't play games very often. Anyway, when I was in college was when I got back into them a lot. To that point I rarely played multiple games at once and only got a few a year. Anyway my friends and family knew I was getting back into them I guess and I ended up getting like four games for my Birthday that year. Okami, Beyond Good & Evil, Tomb Raider Legend and Psychonauts. I didn't know what to do with that many games at once. I remember trying to play them one at a time at first, but then just wanted to try some others.

Ummm... Jak II, 3 and Prince of Persia Sands of Time were gifts. I always look at Sands of Time as a game that got me playing a lot more types of games. Before that I had been playing a lot of just cartoony platformers and sports games mostly on PS2. I asked for those though. The surprises are more fun I think.

In the non-game category, my brother got me this old-school Lara figure. It is super cheesy looking like old Lara renders were, but he found it at some toy fair he was at. I rarely get surprised so that was a cool one. Same goes for the Nariko figure and Mirror's Edge comic books he got me. Also got a Prince of Persia graphic novel which is a cool collector's item of sorts for me.

Sorry I know I butchered the top five format. I just kind of started listing some shit I thought of.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

http://thetripleoption.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:09 pm

Whatever, sticking to the top 5 would make this a lot less fun. Triggered one memory I got about getting BG&E as a gift too. It was the year I was trying to get a Wii and couldn't find one anywhere. So my sister asked me what game I wanted for it and I told her Zelda: TP. She then asked the guy at Gamestop for something like Zelda on XBOX and he gave her BG&E. Even though I'm not a huge fan of the game, I was glad I got a chance to play it and it was a sweet way to make up for me not being able to find a Wii
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:23 pm

That sucks Neph, I think my household was fairly alright because my dad is a software engineer so it was always second nature to have computers/games around. He actually technically was gaming before me (lots of flight sims and old RTS games) so he obviously wasn't anti-gaming. Nerds breed nerds after all.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:06 pm

I actually got a Gameboy for Christmas from my dad that I never asked for or wanted. I had a few games for it, but I was never impressed with it for some reason.
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

Post by ajapam Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:01 pm

I got a GBA that I never used all that much either. I wasn't a big fan of handhelds until quite recently. If I combined every single game I owned for the PSP, I still couldn't justify owning that system.

My top gaming presents are probably... Playstation 1 & 3, Majora's Mask for N64, a 3DS, Need for Speed Underground 2, Uncharted 2, and Chrono Trigger for DS. I can't even remember all of the games I got as presents, though. My friend also gave me a goofy Half-Life poster recently
ajapam
ajapam
Jill Sandwich

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:07 pm

I felt the same way. I was never impressed with my gameboy except for Pokemon.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:36 pm

I always loved the GB line, especially the GBA. Pokemon was always the best part, but there were so many amazing Kirby, Metroid, Wario, and especially Zelda games on the system. And even though I didn't give it a try until later, Castlevania was always top notch.
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:14 am

I remember really wanting a Virtual Boy. Got one of those bad boys, and then the system failed shortly after. For anyone that owned/played one, it really wasn't so bad. Was putting your head into that thing necessary? Nope. Mario Tennis and especially Warioland were awesome though. Warioland was amazing. Also got Red Alarm. The only three games I ever had.
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

Post by Miraculous Kaydybug Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:47 am

I played the display versions of the Virtual Boys places like Best Buy had, and that shit made me sick so I never really wanted one at all.
Miraculous Kaydybug
Miraculous Kaydybug

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:46 am

I remember a display Virtual Boy in Toys R Us and it never seemed to work...
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:58 am

Mine never made me feel sick. Seriously though, that Warioland game was awesome. I'd play it again if my friend didn't break my stand.
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:13 pm

Just duct tape it to your face =D
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Miraculous Kaydybug Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:02 pm

Then he could live in a video game
Miraculous Kaydybug
Miraculous Kaydybug

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:21 pm

You could become a super hero named Virtual Boy!
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Motinator Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:14 pm

I've never really gotten many gaming gifts other than games.

But I can say that getting my Playstation for Christmas was super exciting. I still have a picture of me playing Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 that afternoon on my mum's 20 year old TV. I remember we couldn't get it working because my dad didn't know that you had to press the disc flat on the spinner. This was after the PS2 was out but I'm kind of glad that I had to focus on PS1 games first.
Motinator
Motinator
Has a Bad Case of Headcrabs

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next