Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Now Playing
by volvocrusher Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:37 pm

» General TV Show Discussion
by volvocrusher Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:48 pm

» First Half of 2018 Questionnaire (GotY So Far, etc.)
by volvocrusher Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:35 pm

» The E3 2018 Discussion Thread
by volvocrusher Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:59 pm

August 2018
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

2017 Gaming Awards

Go down

2017 Gaming Awards

Post by TripOpt55 on Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:30 pm

Time to talk about the best stuff in gaming this year. Here are the usual categories:

List your Top 10 Games of the Year:
Honorable Mentions:

Downloadable GotY:
Handheld GotY:
Worst GotY:
Best Remake:

Best Singleplayer:
Best Cooperative Multiplayer:
Best Competitive Multiplayer:
Best Overall Multiplayer:

Best New Character:
Worst New Character:
Best Writing:
Best Story:

Best Voice Acting:
Best Soundtrack:
Best Sound Design:

Best Graphics-Technical:
Best Graphics-Artistic:
Best Overall Graphics:

Biggest Surprise:
Biggest Disappointment (could be a game or just something gaming-related):
Best Non-2017 Game You Played For the First Time This Year:
Game You Wish You Played That Came Out in 2017:

Favorite Level:
Favorite Moment:
Worst Moment:
Best Boss Fight:
Game You Played the Most:

Platform/system with the Best Software Lineup in 2017:
Most Overrated Game:
Most Underrated Game:
Best New IP:

Have at it!
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

View user profile http://thetripleoption.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: 2017 Gaming Awards

Post by Krubixcube on Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:53 pm

As always I played a decent number of games this year but very few of them from this year ^__^

Will be interesting to see what everyone's picks are though as these generally become the games I look out for.

Steam: Krubixcube         3DS Friend Code: 1950-9553-1102         PSN:KrubixCube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ajapam on Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:24 pm

I've been blanking on this but I'll try. Missed a few games I would've really liked to try.

Game of the Year:
1. Zelda BOTW
2. Prey
3. Uncharted Lost Legacy
Honorable mentions: Styx Shards of Darkness, Persona 5
Downloadable GotY:
Handheld GotY: Samus Returns
Worst GotY: I wanna say PUBG. I think they added it by now but the game didn't even have a kill cam when I played so you could literally just die with no explanation after 20-30 minutes, which told me they put barely any thought into it.
Best Remake: Samus Returns
Best Singleplayer: BOTW
Best Overall Multiplayer: None of this matters because Rocket League will never be topped

Best New Character: Mishima (Persona 5). Maybe an unpopular pick for P5 fans but he's the only character that felt grounded in reality the way so much of P4's cast was to me.
Worst New Character: Morgana (P5). He gets bonus points for being a cat but he's a constant reminder of how often the game takes away control and the reveal about his origins is even lamer than I was led to believe.
Best Writing: Dice's Reddit post
Best Story: Bungie's constant apologies for Destiny 2 controversies towards the end of the year

Best Voice Acting: Uncharted Lost Legacy
Best Soundtrack: Persona 5
Best Sound Design: Probably SW Battlefront 2. Its dice and it's star wars

Best Graphics-Technical: Uncharted Lost Legacy
Best Graphics-Artistic: Persona 5
Best Overall Graphics: Uncharted Lost Legacy

Biggest Surprise: Uncharted going heavy on 3D platforming
Biggest Disappointment (could be a game or just something gaming-related): Persona 5. It's fantastic from the end of the second act to about the last few hours. Everything else is the MGS4 of JRPGs.
Best Non-2017 Game You Played For the First Time This Year:
Game You Wish You Played That Came Out in 2017: Nier Automata

Favorite Level: the final setpiece in Lost Legacy and Eventide Island in BOTW
Favorite Moment: Scaling Gerudo Canyon for the first time in BOTW and realising I was only half-day up, and getting through the interrogation in P5
Worst Moment: The process of Haru joining the team in Persona 5. One of those bits where the game takes control away for a long time to show a bunch of uninteresting cutscenes where you already know what will happen 5 minutes in.
Best Boss Fight:
Game You Played the Most: Persona 5 because it's so long. otherwise, BotW

Platform/system with the Best Software Lineup in 2017: Ps4 had a killer mix
Most Overrated Game: PUBG
Most Underrated Game: Prey
Best New IP: Prey (lol)... Horizon Zero Dawn if that doesn't count

Last edited by ajapam on Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:29 pm; edited 5 times in total
ajapam
Jill Sandwich

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube on Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:25 pm

As always I'm delaying mine a few weeks since I got a couple of games for Christmas and might have more of an opinion by then! ^___^

Steam: Krubixcube         3DS Friend Code: 1950-9553-1102         PSN:KrubixCube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher on Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:09 pm

TripOpt55 wrote:Time to talk about the best stuff in gaming this year. Here are the usual categories:

1. Breath of the Wild- The most I've enjoyed a game since Mass Effect 2. I love how fluid traversing through the world is and how it had such an amazing sense of discovery. The dungeons were disappointing, but forgivable with just how well this game did what it did right.
2. Sonic Mania- I've been waiting so long for another great Sonic follow up that captured what I loved from the Genesis games. And this was basically everything I wanted.
3. Styx: Shards of Darkness- Basically what I've wanted from a stealth game for years. Like if you gave the early Thief games Tomb Raider's controls. Levels were so well designed and it was a blast collecting all the extra stuff in each one.
4. Persona 5- A bit too long, but the story really clicked with me and it probably had the most fun with RPG dungeons I've had. I never really went through the motions, always had to think each battle. And the style was so great.
5. The Evil Within 2- I hated the first one, but the more open ended level design worked well and the game felt so much like horror while still having competent controls. Scared the shit out of me so many times.
6. Uncharted: The Lost Legacy- Just a solid Uncharted experience without any of the fluff or low points. And a damn great final setpiece.
7. Metroid: Samus Returns- I kind of moved on after, but can't deny how much fun I had while playing it. Very compelling even if it's not quite as well designed as Prime, Super or Zero Mission.
8. Cuphead- Has a great "One more try" addictive quality to it and holy fuck this game is gorgeous.
9. Horizon: Zero Dawn- I'm not as high on this as most people, but hunting robot dinosaurs was pretty fun. No major issues, but a few smaller nagging ones that built up over time.
10. Super Mario Odyssey- Not the masterpiece everyone claims it is, but the game's still a lot of fun.
Honorable Mentions: I had a lot of fun with Destiny 2, but the shady stuff Acti and Bungie have been doing lately left a bad taste in my mouth. Also Wolfenstein, Nier, and Divinity 2 have potential to be on this list, but haven't played enough of them to say for sure

Downloadable GotY: Sonic Mania
Handheld GotY: Sonic Mania. Played BotW enough on my TV to count, but don't think I ever played Sonic on that
Worst GotY: Mass Effect Andromeda
Best Remake: Crash Bandicoot

Best Singleplayer: Breath of the Wild
Best Cooperative Multiplayer: Destiny 2
Best Competitive Multiplayer: Playerunknown's Battlegrounds
Best Overall Multiplayer: PUBG

Best New Character: Futaba from Persona 5
Worst New Character: My face is tired
Best Writing: Persona 5
Best Story: Persona 5

Best Voice Acting: Uncharted: TLL
Best Soundtrack: Persona 5
Best Sound Design: Persona 5

Best Graphics-Technical: Uncharted
Best Graphics-Artistic: Cuphead
Best Overall Graphics: Cuphead

Biggest Surprise: Styx: Shards of Darkness. Game came from out of nowhere, but was one of my favorites
Biggest Disappointment (could be a game or just something gaming-related): Mass Effect Andromeda
Best Non-2017 Game You Played For the First Time This Year: Shantae: Half Genie Hero
Game You Wish You Played That Came Out in 2017: Resident Evil 7

Favorite Level: Manipulation
Favorite Moment: Climbing that one ice mountain in BotW (You know which one if you played it)
Worst Moment: My face is tired
Best Boss Fight: The First Palace Boss in Persona 5
Game You Played the Most: Breath of the Wild

Platform/system with the Best Software Lineup in 2017: Switch
Most Overrated Game: Super Mario Odyssey
Most Underrated Game: Styx: Shards of Darkness
Best New IP: Cuphead

Have at it!

Last edited by volvocrusher on Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:10 pm; edited 2 times in total

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ajapam on Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:07 pm

Damn I forgot about Cuphead. And you found the best pick for worst character
ajapam
Jill Sandwich

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube on Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:29 pm

Holy crap, I looked up the "my face is tired" thing for the first time...good god!

Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 on Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:50 am

My top three were really close. Hard to choose. I ended up putting them this way.

1. Horizon Zero Dawn: Loved Aloy and thought the new universe they created was really cool. Unraveling the mystery of how it came to be and Aloy’s place in it was super fun. And the combat was top-notch. Depth, strategy, cool weapons, slick controls, awesome enemies. Had loads of fun with it.
2. Uncharted: The Lost Legacy: I just love Uncharted. Some aspects aren’t as good as in the other games. It certainly didn’t have the impact or play value of my favorites in the series, but it may be the least flawed of the whole bunch. The combat’s still fun. They did a great job with Nadine and Chloe. And it’s best bits (the final setpiece, the open-world chapter, the animal moment) are as good as anything this year for me.
3. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild: A bold reinvention of a long-running series. I’ve never enjoyed exploring an open-world as much as this one. The sense of discovery is unrivaled. Enough flaws here (disappointing dungeons, open-world repetition, challenge progression, issues with the new systems) that I ended up putting it third, but I still loved it.
4. Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga: Don’t usually include remakes on these sorts of lists, but since it was my first time playing it and it was the only other new release I graded in the A range, I decided to. Felt like Mario mixed with 2D Zelda with turn-based combat that I liked more than expected and a really funny story.
5. Nex Machina: I haven’t put a ton of time into this, but it is another incredible arcade shooter from Housemarque. Not on the Resogun level, but it really shows how good they are at this genre. Sad they are seemingly being forced to leave the genre behind due to poor sales. Hope they come back to it one day.
6. Super Mario Odyssey: This is a bit of fluff here, but it is super creative, super fun and when the platforming is at its best, it reminds me why so few can touch Mario when he’s on top of his game.
7. Life is Strange: Before the Storm: Shocked how much I enjoyed this. So many red flags when it was announced, but it turned out really well. I missed the rewind mechanic, but the atmosphere, music and small intimate moments that made the original resonate with me were here and I enjoyed my time with this.
8. Resident Evil VII: It really wore out its welcome after a while. And to be honest, these sort of super-tense horror games just aren’t my favorite sort of game. But I thought the first say two-thirds did what they did so well. Great mix of combat, exploration, item-management and boss fights plus a return to the more horror-focused style of the earlier games as opposed to the more action-oriented recent outings.
9. Gravity Rush 2: This was actually one of the more disappointing games for me this year mostly due to some poor mission designs that crop up more often than I’d like and one really poor, repetitive section near the end, but I still loved playing with Kat again and the gravity mechanics remain a joy.
10. Rime: This was sort of like a Team Ico game (Ico in particular) without the janky controls (or Ico’s shitty stick combat). It is a combat-free (at least traditional combat) experience and I loved that. Fun puzzles/traversal with an interesting minimalistic story and great atmosphere.
Honorable Mentions:Sonic Mania, Destiny 2, and Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle.

Downloadable GotY: This award doesn’t seem to make as much sense as it used to, but I guess Nex Machina as it is the top, purely downloadble game on my list.
Handheld GotY: Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga

Best Singleplayer: Horizon Zero Dawn
Best Cooperative Multiplayer: Destiny 2
Best Competitive Multiplayer: Destiny 2
Best Overall Multiplayer: Destiny 2

Best New Character: Aloy
Worst New Character: Nothing is jumping out at me which actually disappoints me a bit.
Best Writing: Uncharted: The Lost Legacy
Best Story: Uncharted: The Lost Legacy

Best Voice Acting: Uncharted: The Lost Legacy
Best Soundtrack: Life is Strange: Before the Storm (Sonic Mania is super close)
Best Sound Design: Hellblade

Best Graphics-Technical: I guess Uncharted, but what Horizon does in a open-world might be more impressive. Frozen Wilds looked even better than the main game and improved some of the stuff like the talking head scenes’ facial animations.
Best Graphics-Artistic: I didn’t play Cuphead yet, but I still want to say Cuphead.
Best Overall Graphics: Uncharted/Horizon

Biggest Surprise: RE7, Life is Strange and perhaps Mario + Rabbids all turning out as well as they did.
Biggest Disappointment (could be a game or just something gaming-related): Wolfenstein II for games. Zelda’s dungeons for any aspect of a game.
Best Non-2017 Game You Played For the First Time This Year: Superstar Saga if it counts. Otherwise, Shantae: Half-Genie Hero. Shovel Knight and Oxenfree were really cool too.
Game You Wish You Played That Came Out in 2017: Cuphead. Also, Night in the Woods, Yono and the Celestial Elephants, and Little Nightmares.

Favorite Level: Uncharted: The Lost Legacy’s final chapter.
Favorite Moment: The animal thing in Uncharted.
Worst Moment: Realizing what a slog Route B was going to be in Nier: Automata.
Best Boss Fight: The boss sequence before the final decision of the last main route in Nier: Automata. The Phantom in Mario + Rabbids is close.
Game You Played the Most: Horizon Zero Dawn

Platform/system with the Best Software Lineup in 2017: PS4
Most Overrated Game: Super Mario Odyssey (but I really did enjoy it, just not nearly on the 97 Metacritic, greatest game ever-level for me)
Most Underrated Game: Nex Machina really did seem to go under-the-radar.
Best New IP: Horizon Zero Dawn
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

View user profile http://thetripleoption.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher on Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:11 pm

Updated my list to have descriptions like Trip.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube on Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:02 pm

Man Route B (despite some standout moments) really was a slog. @_@ but Routes C to the secret ending are really interesting.

Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber on Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:43 pm

1. Horizon Zero Dawn
2. Uncharted - The Lost Legacy
3. Destiny 2

Honorable Mentions: I didn't play enough new games this year to make an accurate list, much of my year was spent playing older games. Here's some games that I played that I liked a lot but didn't play much of...

Everybody's Golf - Really fun game that almost anybody could pick up and play. I even got my wife to play with me.
Gran Turismo - I'm not much of a racer, but it seems like a solid game. Got it with my VR headset.
Rime - Fun game that's like a mixture of Ico minus combat and Journey. Really peaceful and beautiful game, makes me sleepy sometimes.
Tekken 7

Downloadable GotY: Final Fantasy IX. Didn't play any new games, and there were some changes to this so it counts.
Handheld GotY: I didn't play a new handheld game this year, but I know I'd love Dragon Quest VIII
Worst GotY:
Best Remake: Final Fantasy XII - The Zodiac Age
This might actually be in my top 5 favorite Final Fantasy games now. The only thing that might hold it back is the story which just isn't that interesting to me.

Best Singleplayer: Horizon Zero Dawn
Best Cooperative Multiplayer: Destiny 2. My cousin and myself will play crucible and just run around for hours. I've even played with Matt a couple times as well. I wish I had a few more people to play with to do raids and the strikes.
Best Competitive Multiplayer: Destiny 2, even though I don't like some of the changes from the first game.
Best Overall Multiplayer: Destiny 2, but honestly I don't play enough games like this to really judge.

Best New Character: Aloy, she's awesome.
Worst New Character:
Best Writing: Uncharted - The Lost Legacy
Best Story: Horizon

Best Voice Acting: Uncharted - The Lost Legacy
Best Soundtrack:
Best Sound Design: Horizon, specifically the weapon that creates that noise that tears off the armor

Best Graphics-Technical: Horizon Zero Dawn
Best Graphics-Artistic: Rime looks nice, but I can go into photo mode in Horizon and really churn out some beauties
Best Overall Graphics: Horizon Zero Dawn

Biggest Surprise: Medievil being announced for a remake
Biggest Disappointment (could be a game or just something gaming-related): FIFA 18 still has a terrible rubber band interface that keeps online games interesting when it shouldn't be. Just know that I destroy my cousin, but usually only win by a goal.
Best Non-2017 Game You Played For the First Time This Year: I played a lot of Zelda in attempts to beat 3 that I never played, and even though I've played a lot of Ocarina of Time this is the first time I ever beat it. So that's my answer.
Game You Wish You Played That Came Out in 2017: Dragon Quest VIII for the 3DS. I've played it before and I know I'd like the 3DS version, I just wish it got the release for Vita or PS4 instead.
Favorite Level: The opening level of Horizon
Favorite Moment: All of the snow in Horizon
Worst Moment: That bridge level in Crash Bandicoot. Fuck. That. Shit.
Best Boss Fight: It's a minor boss fight over the grand scheme of things, but that first boss fight with a Sawtooth. That was a tense battle.
Game You Played the Most: One of these... Destiny 1/2, Killzone Shadow Fall, Horizon, FIFA 17/18

Platform/system with the Best Software Lineup in 2017: PS4, seems like they were releasing exclusive games all year and there's still a lot of I haven't played yet
Most Overrated Game: I'm gonna go with something I never even played, but from what I heard from many friends, Zelda Breath of the Wild. I'd still like to play it though and if I get a Switch that would be the first game I buy unless there's a Level-5 game.
Most Underrated Game: Everybody's Golf. It got good reviews but more people should be playing that fun little multiplayer game.
Best New IP: Horizon Zero Dawn with the big fat Duh!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube on Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:15 pm

As always I've played very little but I'll try my best.

1. Nier: Automata - I give this knowing that it's not only a flawed game, with its low budget and reuse of a lot of assets, but also a very niche game. That said, when cyberpunk, androids, along with questions of the nature of consciousness and memories sneak into a game and do so very effectively, I have to give it my top pick. Maybe it's not the best GAME but nothing made me sit down and think or leave such a lasting impression this year as Nier did despite all its flaws.
2. Persona 5 - Very solid JRPG, great presentation, could have been 30-40% shorter but still enjoyed my time playing it a lot. A very solid entry in the series.
3. Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice - Not a ton of replay value outside of "I'd like to experience the story again" but it did some very clever things in its presentation and I enjoyed it. Maybe wouldn't have felt the same way if I'd paid full price for it.

Downloadable GotY: N/A
Handheld GotY:
Worst GotY:
Best Remake:

Best Singleplayer: Nier Automata
Best Overall Multiplayer:

Best New Character: Makoto - Persona 5
Worst New Character:
Best Writing: Nier: Automata - Like the game itself - flawed but affecting.
Best Story:

Best Voice Acting: Hellbade: Senua's Sacrifice
Best Soundtrack: Nier: Automata (I mean in this clip it melds with the enemy sounds, it's genius https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjBYm5Wbd8s&t=195s&ab_channel=OnionSoldier)
Best Sound Design: Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice

Best Graphics-Technical: Hellbade: Senua's Sacrifice
Best Graphics-Artistic: Persona 5
Best Overall Graphics: ...hmmm...

Biggest Surprise: Nier: Automata - I had NO interest in the previous game and this one didn't even blip on my radar until I tried the demo. The demo was fun, and I just expected a fun ol' RPG had NO idea the story would get that deep and weird.
Biggest Disappointment (could be a game or just something gaming-related): I still can't afford a Switch. But in all seriousness, all this lootbox nonsense going as far as it did last year.
Best Non-2017 Game You Played For the First Time This Year: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
Game You Wish You Played That Came Out in 2017: Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Horizon: Zero Dawn, the new Uncharted, Mario...so many!

Favorite Level: The first dungeon in Persona 5.
Favorite Moment: Nier's real ending choice (which I won't spoil).
Worst Moment: Realizing just how big that god damn ship was in Persona 5. You guys know what I mean...
Best Boss Fight: Nothing particularly stands out.
Game You Played the Most: Persona 5 (of the games this year, otherwise The Witcher)

Platform/system with the Best Software Lineup in 2017:
Most Overrated Game: Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice - not because it's bad (it's not), but beyond it's fantastic production design that's not a whole of a lot else to it.
Most Underrated Game: ...none that I played.
Best New IP:

Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum