Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What would you like to see this developer work on next?
by TripOpt55 Yesterday at 3:55 pm

» What have you been listening to?
by TripOpt55 Yesterday at 3:47 pm

» The Games You Played August 2017
by BretBaber Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:04 pm

» Rick and Morty Discussion
by TripOpt55 Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:55 pm

September 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

First Half of 2017 Questionnaire (GotY So Far, etc.)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

First Half of 2017 Questionnaire (GotY So Far, etc.)

Post by TripOpt55 on Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:48 pm

Six months into 2017, so it is about time we do one of these. Just copied the one from last year:

What is your Game of the Year So Far and why? Feel free to make a list if you have played enough games to do so or mention a favorite handheld and downloadable game if you want.

What was the biggest disappointment for you in gaming this year? It could be a game, a part of a game, an announcement and so on.

What is the best game you played for the first time this year that released in a previous year and why?

What are your top five most anticipated games for the rest of 2017?

What was your favorite new movie from this year?

What was your favorite new (music) album from this year? What about favorite song?

What was your favorite TV show that aired this year so far? What about favorite episode?

Anything else from this year so far you want to mention?

Have at it!
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

View user profile http://thetripleoption.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: First Half of 2017 Questionnaire (GotY So Far, etc.)

Post by Krubixcube on Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:35 am

TripOpt55 wrote:Six months into 2017, so it is about time we do one of these. Just copied the one from last year:

What is your Game of the Year So Far and why? Feel free to make a list if you have played enough games to do so or mention a favorite handheld and downloadable game if you want.

The winner, by right of SQUEAKING by, would have to be Nier Automata for me. It's not a perfect game but the story and it's philosophical musings on consciousness and AI are right up my alley. Close second would be Persona 5.

What was the biggest disappointment for you in gaming this year? It could be a game, a part of a game, an announcement and so on.

Nothing in particular comes to mind. Seems the Switch has been pretty well handled (so far), there's good games being released, no huge scandals.

What is the best game you played for the first time this year that released in a previous year and why?

Close tie between XCOM 2, which is just as frustratingly hard and addictive as its predecessor, and Titanfall which was a breath of fresh air. I wish I was more into online stuff, because it seems Titanfall has handled theirs with class.

There are LOTS of games I haven't played yet, but for stuff that's unreleased-

1. Ni no Kuni II
2. Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age
3. Metroid: Samus Returns
4. Wolfenstein: The New Colossus - E3 demo was my favorite by far, hopefully the game lives up to it.
5. Super Mario Odyssey - I throw this one in knowing I won't be able to play it any time soon, but it LOOKS fun.

I have barely seen anything new but I'm a big Edgar Wright fan and I'm about to see Baby Driver this afternoon so I have high hopes.

What was your favorite new (music) album from this year? What about favorite song?

I THOUGHT I'd heard something new but apparently not. I checked out the new album from Algiers briefly though and I might have to give that a more thorough listen. Also need to check out Lorde on Trip's recommendation.

What was your favorite TV show that aired this year so far? What about favorite episode?

Maybe a lame response but I loved Rick and Morty's premiere. I watched it 3 times. I love that they silently released it on April Fool's Day too.

NOPE! Still trying to survive! So far so good!

Have at it!

Steam: Krubixcube         3DS Friend Code: 1950-9553-1102         PSN:KrubixCube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 on Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:26 pm

Here's mine:

I’m a bit torn between The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild and Horizon: Zero Dawn. For all my worries about playing what I thought would be fairly similar experiences back-to-back, they really excelled in different areas. Zelda’s strengths lied in its sense of discovery and exploration with something new and exciting to find seemingly everywhere I went. Horizon’s strengths were its in-depth combat against robotic foes and the larger quests with their accompanying narratives.

Probably Zelda’s dungeons. Viewed simply as levels in a video game they are a good time, but disappointment is tied to expectations and these are easily the worst set of dungeons in the 3D Zelda series.

I didn’t find any game to be a huge disappointment, but I was hoping Gravity Rush 2 would be that big step forward sequel. It is more of a lateral move. A one step forward, one step back sort of thing. I imagine it will make my top ten come year’s end still, but I had higher hopes for it.

Probably Shantae: Half-Genie Hero. Not quite as good as Pirate’s Curse (which I started at the tail end of last year or I’d pick it). You can also kind of see how it was cobbled together as a Kickstarter game at times. I missed the dungeons too. But I love the core gameplay of this series as well as its sense of humor and just the undeniable charm of it. That’s all here. A really fun game.

Shovel Knight and Oxenfree were others I really enjoyed.

1. Uncharted: The Lost Legacy
2. Super Mario Odyssey
3. Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus
4. Metroid: Samus Returns
5. Cuphead or Hidden Agenda

I’ve barely watched anything new. Hopefully by year’s end I will be more ready for this question.

Lorde’s Melodrama is definitely my favorite with “Sober II (Melodrama)” as my favorite song. Some more albums I liked a lot were London Grammar’s Truth is a Beautiful Thing, The xx’s I See You, and Sylvan Esso’s What Now.

As far as shows that are done for the year, the three standouts for me are Better Call Saul Season 3, Master of None Season 2, and Black Sails Season 4.

The Good Place’s Season 1 finale “Michael’s Gambit” was my favorite episode. If it is as good in the fall as the four episodes that aired so far this year, it will certainly join the above trio on my short list for best show of the year.

Glad I finally got the podcast going. Now I just need to work to make it a regular thing plus add the TV stuff.
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

View user profile http://thetripleoption.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher on Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:05 am

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. Had the best exploration I've ever seen in a game, now my favorite Nintendo game and open world game. Also my favorite handheld game.
Favorite downloadable game- Blaster Master Zero was actually pretty fun.

Mass Effect Andromeda. God damn did Bioware fuck that one up. I don't even want it salvaged in a sequel. I just want this to never be acknowledged ever again.

Persona 4: Dancing All Night. Really stupid, but pretty damn fun.

1. Sonic Mania
2. Super Mario Odyssey
3. Metroid: Samus Returns
4. Super Lucky's Tale
5. Uncharted: The Lost Legacy

Get Out. Felt like a super long episode of The Twilight Zone and I dug that.

The pilot for Rick and Morty. Just a little bit longer.........

Much better year for games than the last three. Here's hoping things stay this way!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ajapam on Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:38 pm

What is your Game of the Year So Far and why?.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. The perfect kind of nostalgia trip. It changes up so much in a way that recreates the feeling I had playing the series when I was younger.

Biggest Disappointment

Can't think of anything very specific but summer in P5 is SUCH a drag, so maybe that.

Doom 2016. Damn good shooter.

Super Mario Odyssey

Get Out. This movie could've easily gotten praise for playing on the current political situation but it was done in a really smart, interesting way.

New Kendrick Lamar is inconsistent but has some great tracks, also dig the new Peter Peter album.

ajapam
Jill Sandwich

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top