August 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Now Playing

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Now Playing

Post by volvocrusher on Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:57 pm

Tried the Mass Effect Andromeda trial and was really disappointed. Combat was incredible with the new jet pack but theven game felt very unpolished in almost every aspect and the dialog was torture. So I canceled my pre-order and bought Nier Automata

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube on Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:30 pm

I'm getting Nier for my birthday. Now THAT had a great demo. I can count on one hand the number of games that have ever sold me with a demo, and that is one of them.

Steam: Krubixcube         3DS Friend Code: 1950-9553-1102         PSN:KrubixCube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher on Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:15 am

So looks like Nier has a bad PC port right now. Could get patched in the future, so got a refund and am unsure if I should get it on PS4 or wait on it and get Horizon or Persona 5 when that comes out instead.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 on Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:23 pm

I've mostly been working on Horizon when I can now. The combat is really excellent when fighting the robots. Intense and tactical. It reminds me a bit of Far Cry and The Witcher at times.

I tried a bit of Bomberman on Switch. It is sort of... adequate I guess? I still have 1-2 Switch sitting here, but haven't got around to trying it yet.
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

View user profile http://thetripleoption.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher on Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:31 am

Since I was ready for a Bioware game until actually trying Mass Effect Andromeda, I decided to give Jade Empire a replay. One thing I forgot about this game is it's a real looker. Characters and animations are mediocre at best, but the environments are gorgeous. I think it even looks better than Dragon Age Origins. Game's still a lot of fun too, forgot how deep and challenging the combat was. Also love how the morality is more liberal/conservative rather than good/evil.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube on Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:54 pm

I started up Nier Automata and I'm really digging it. It's kind of what I wanted Final Fantasy XV to be in regards to combat. It also fixes a lot of the UI and just ease of use issues that FFXV had. It's got a lot of flaws too (it's too easy, for one), but the strength of the story and the excellent soundtrack outweigh them by a mile.

Steam: Krubixcube         3DS Friend Code: 1950-9553-1102         PSN:KrubixCube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 on Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:27 am

I'm still mostly playing Horizon. I love the combat. The graphics are totally insane especially for an open-world. The jungle area is crazy. I can't say I'm super hooked into the story I find I'm off doing random stuff instead of dying to see what happens next in the narrative.

I tried the Splatoon 2 beta thing. Outside of a new weapon and maps, it feels exactly like the first. Iterating on multiplayer is tough I guess. Like you want to make it feel like a sequel, but it is really easy to add something to a multiplayer mode and screw up the whole thing. Or just get too far away from what made it good in the first place. So part of me is like, I wish this felt more fresh. The other is, maybe I should be happy they didn't totally mess it up.
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber on Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:29 am

I'm mainly playing Horizon as well, with some other games sprinkled in here and there. I don't know if it is the same for you, but I'm not really doing the story missions because I'm having so much fun doing all of the side quests. Yesterday I found all of the metal flowers, and a few days before that I found all of the Bankuk figures, and did all of the Cauldrons. Hopefully after completing those I can start focusing a bit more on the story, since I'm so easily distracted.

I've came to the conclusion that this game is the game that we thought Phantom Pain was going to be. It's really similar to that game, but it does so much better. The one thing Phantom Pain does better though is sneaking and stealth, but it better do those things better if it is a Metal Gear game.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube on Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:11 pm

I'll be interested to see how I feel about that assessment once I (eventually) play it. You said that last night as well. Is it because of the tactical approaches or what brings on that comparison out of curiosity?

Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 on Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:11 pm

I only really love the cauldrons as far as side quests go. I mean I love simply battling stuff in the open-world which isn't really a side quest, but I still spend a lot of my time doing it. Some of the quest given by characters are pretty fun. The towers and collectibles are fine, but pretty standard open-world fare even if it is pretty sweet to climb a giant robot dinosaur. The view ones are my favorite collectible since they give you some lore stuff. The outposts are another staple of these types of games, but I don't think these are super strong compared to other series. Mainly because fighting humans in this game isn't as fun as fighting the robots.

Edit: Actually I forgot about the hunting lodge side quests. Those are really good side quest style challenges. Ask you to use your weapons/skills in unique ways. Those are really cool.
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber on Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:28 pm

There is a lot of different ways you can approach the enemies, and each type plays different. Most of the machines feel like boss fights, and they're just enemies that wander around the main map. Think about the boss fights in Phantom Pain, and just fighting the machines feels more epic than the ones in that game. Taking on a sawtooth you always have to be on edge, because they're so quick and aggressive they'll be all over you in a heartbeat.

I really like the encounters where there's a couple different groups of enemies together, because it becomes pretty important to take out the weaker ones first so you can focus all of your efforts on the harder foes.

Another aspect that's similar to Phantom Pain is collecting resources from the environment, and unlike PP you actually feel like your'e doing it for a reason. I'm constantly hunting animals because their remains will be used for health potions, expanding my inventory capacity, or trading with merchants for better gear. Since your main weapon is a bow and arrow, it makes sense that collecting wood is used for ammo. It's been over a year since I played PP, but I felt like the resource collecting in that game really didn't do much, where in this game it feels important.

Also, instead of going on a mission, returning to mother base in that horrible long helicopter sequence, you're just in one huge big map, where everything feels and looks different. Want to travel around it other than foot, no shitty jeep with shitty controls here, you can override machines so you can ride on a machine bull/horse, and it is pretty bad ass.

And unlike PP, there's a story and the main character FUCKING TALKS! The side quests even add a bit more story to the game. It's not the best story that I've ever played, but it is enjoyable, and Aloy is a very likable main character. Kind of feels like a mixture of Native Americans and the Matrix.

The game is beautiful to look at too, probably the best looking PS4 game overall.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ajapam on Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:10 am

I finally picked up Doom. Weirdly enough, I think I may actually prefer it with a controller. Of course using a Steam Controller mitigates my issues with aiming with controllers, but I feel like other things go a long way to fixing the complaints that I had with the demo. Vibration makes up somewhat for my complaints about the sound design, and pushing the right stick for glory kills feels WAY more meaty and satisfying than pressing F on a keyboard. It's really neat that it uses it as an action button as well. I never thought all that much about how controls like that could affect a game's feel.

ajapam
Jill Sandwich

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube on Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:04 pm

You don't like the sound design in Doom?! I thought it was amazing! What didn't you like out of curiosity?

Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube on Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:04 pm

You don't like the sound design in Doom?! I thought it was amazing! What didn't you like out of curiosity?

Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher on Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:18 am

Persona 5 is great so far. They improved my two biggest beefs, combat and dungeons. Combat now has the best interface I've seen in an RPG and doesn't make your character fall if they miss anymore and misses aren't close to as frequent as before. This is a perfect example of streamliming without losing any depth.

Dungeons are also fantastic. They're not randomly generated anymore save a recurring one that exists for side quests alone. The main ones are much better designed and incorporate stealth to get the advantage of enemies. Which as an extra perk means that it gets rid of random player or enemy advantages. Plus it mixes well with the game's focus on heists and thievery.

So far stories and characters are great too. Mascot is as fun as Teddie without his annoying traits, other ones are entertaining so far, and god damn this game is so stylish.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ajapam on Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:03 am

advantages were actually already stealth-based in P4G and falling after missing was ditched, I think (dunno about vanilla P4), but the changes to combat and dungeons are very welcome. The combat interface advances JRPG combat in all the right ways

ajapam
Jill Sandwich

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher on Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:51 am

I could have sworn missing in 4 made you fall. Either way I wouldn't really call 4s advantage stealth based, especially compared to 5, but it wasn't just all luck based. 5 is so much better with how you take cover, not perfect, but makes dungeon crawling so much more engaging

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ajapam on Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:41 pm

Yeah it was sort of stealth based but the stealth was... rudimentary, to say the least. And sometimes the enemy's field of view made it tough to tell if you should get the advantage or not. 5 is definitely a big improvement. My only complaint so far about fighting is how much fights slow down when you get a hold up. Everything else flows so well

On the rest of the game in general, I do feel like the opening is a bit of a tease with how many small glimpses of gameplay it gives you, but it at least strikes a balance between P4's extremely exposition-heavy opening and P3's lack of a good setup

ajapam
Jill Sandwich

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube on Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:12 pm

It's so good guys...;___; and I've barely had any time to play it.

It's got style to spare, the story is super interesting so far, like all Atlus games they've refined and fixed previous shortcomings. The stealth is...basic, but it works good enough.

Like all Persona games it takes a LONG time to open up but I guess I expected it going in, and I'm really enjoying the exposition and set up. I kind of respect them saying "here's the set up, here are the stakes, here's how the world works...now go!"

Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 on Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:07 pm

I finally tried 1-2 Switch last night with some friends and we had a blast. Like it is dumb. It is overpriced. It is gimmicky. But we had fun. It is sort of like Wario Ware on the Wii I guess. I liked seeing the Joy Con in action on their own in different ways. The awful live-action videos just add to the hilarity as does how much you feel like an idiot doing it all. Many griefing options too. Not sure if it'd be fun a second time or not. We just went through all the mini-games. There is a board game type thing as well perhaps like Mario Party or something. Not sure. Either way, I might buy this if it is cheap at some point. It would have been fantastic as a pack in sort of thing to show off some of what the Joy Con can do with motion and things like that.
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 on Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:00 pm

Still working on Horizon mostly. Was hoping to get Yooka-Laylee from GameFly but no dice. They are sending me Resident Evil VII, so I will give that a shot. Not the biggest RE fan, but figured it was worth a tryt. Wanted something not so big after Zelda and Horizon.
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher on Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:16 pm

So I got a month of Gamefly for $1 and they sent Mass Effect Andromeda so I decided to juggle it with P5 especially since I'm doing a podcast Thursday with another huge ME fan not happy about this new game. The shame is, on paper this should be the best ME game and combat is pretty fun on lower difficulties (not polished enough for hard without the power wheel), but man there's some baffling choices.

Like the checkpoint system is ME1 bad. But you can't manually save during a story quest so it's actually worse than ME1's. Or the plot is about how unprepared they are for how Andromeda has changed over 600 years and everyone acts like it's unfathomable. But consider that when ME 1-3 were set, people were just starting to colonize America 600 years ago and no one thought of this? I mean, the premise is a plot hole, how do you fuck up that bad? It would make sense if they were just desperate to escape the Reapers, but no they did it before the Reapers invaded. So you'd think they would have thought this over more before sending hundreds of thousands of people into a whole other galaxy.

And while I love what the jetpack adds to the combat, the way they handle powers is awful. You can train in any of them, but only use three at a time. And they are not all equal, there's some like Energy Drain that's insanely overpowered. So I'm going to always use Energy Drain no matter where I go meaning that the customization (one of my favorite elements of ME) is down the drain. Bleh. I had such high hopes for this one.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMatt on Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:13 pm

Hey guys! Haven't been online much lately. I was in Mexico for a week and have been crazy busy with work and life since I got back. Almost all of my free time has gone into playing Persona 5 since that came out. I'm only in the second dungeon but I'm loving it. Its pretty much everything I wanted out of it. I knew I wasn't going to enjoy the characters and story as much as I did in 4, but its not that much of a drop off. And I'm sure you guys have talked plenty about this... but man does this game have style. I'm actually glad it was delayed so long, because like Zelda it just has so much polish and detail.

Sure the localization is kinda funky... but it doesn't bother me as much as some people I've seen complaining about it on the internet. I'm just glad I get to play it in English.

Cigar-chomping Dirty Old Man

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 on Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:00 am

I got the platinum for Horizon. It was a great game. While playing it and Zelda back to back wasn't ideal as they are both 50+ hour open-world games, I found it wasn't as bad as I thought since they largely succeeded in different ways.

I started up Resident Evil VII tonight. It is pretty interesting so far and as expected I'm sort of bad at it.
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMatt on Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:38 am

I played the demo of RE VII and I thought it was really cool, but there's no way I'd be able to make it through that game. I am terrible at games like that and it would most likely stress me out too much to keep going. 

I also need to get back to playing Horizon, and finish Zelda... but Persona is all I want to play right now!

Cigar-chomping Dirty Old Man

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube on Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:20 pm

Honestly Matt, I'm playing with Japanese audio and the localization (of the dialogue at least) seems fine to me. Yeah, there's some SMALL changes, but that's just weeaboo complaints (says the guy who's got beef with Ni no Kuni's localization).

That game has style to spare, it makes a lot of cool subtle changes (knowing Persona's weaknesses if you fuse them first, being able to hit R1 to go straight to weakness). Like all Atlus games it doesn't reinvent the wheel but still feels like a step in the forward direction regardless.

Persona 4 being one of my favorite games I was in the same boat in regards to the characters and so far, they are not better, but they're still fun and interesting.

That said, if that...FUCKING CAT tells me that I'm tired and need to go to sleep one more god damn time...

Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher on Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:01 am

I'm holding judgement on the characters until I beat the game. Want to see where their arcs carry them first before I can really say whether I like them more. As of now, there's no one I really like more than Yukiko, Kanji, or Naoto, but I like the P5 gang as a whole more than the P4 one. I think it's because they're more proactive, the Investigation Crew were preventing murders from happening, but the Phantom Thieves just want to give people courage and make the world a better place. I really dig that.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube on Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:21 pm

Oh yeah, Atlus doesn't do BAD characters, it's just personal taste. I think the small town feel of P4 gave everyone a different vibe as well.

To be fair, I hated Kanji in my first P4 playthrough but when I spent time with him in subsequent playthroughs I really liked him so you never know!

Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher on Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:47 pm

I think the vibes fit each story well though. P4's small town helped the murder mystery where the killer could be someone the group was interacting with every day and knew, which made it creepier. Meanwhile here everyone is an outcast and feels like it's easy to get lost in the shuffle and have people judge you without knowing you.

But like I said I'm gonna wait to beat it until I decide which is more effective first

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube on Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:57 pm

Persona games are easy to compare because there's so many shared elements but I suppose it's tough when you get into the nitty gritty.

Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top