The Play Station
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Top 5 Gaming Goals For 2018 (with 2016 and 2017 also mixed in)
by BretBaber Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:47 pm

» Now Playing
by volvocrusher Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:27 pm

» General TV Show Discussion
by volvocrusher Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:48 pm

» First Half of 2018 Questionnaire (GotY So Far, etc.)
by volvocrusher Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:35 pm

March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Now Playing

+5
avidacridjam
SanAndreasX
KillaAssassin11
TheMatt
ajapam
9 posters

Page 11 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down

Now Playing - Page 11 Empty Re: Now Playing

Post by ajapam Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:40 pm

I'm finally playing The Last Guardian. I actually love it so far, I don't find Trico nearly as annoying as some people were saying. I love the subtle use of vibration, it's one of the only games in ages to impress me with that feature. That said, it still doesn't fix all the issues of team ico's other games, especially on the technical end.

Also gave Bloodborne another shot and gave up. Even 3D Dot Game Heroes frustrated me less, and that game doesn't even pretend to be fair
ajapam
ajapam
Jill Sandwich

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:58 pm

Have you gotten to a big story part in The Last Guardian? That part is amazing.
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:17 am

I wouldn't say Bloodborne is unfair. Might not be your cup of tea, but not unfair.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:15 am

TBH, I felt Bloodborne was more fair than any of the Souls games. 1 starts you at the Firelink Shrine after the tutorial which has the one manageable route also be the hardest to find, 2 had that depleting health/disappearing enemies nonsense, 3 had frequent difficulty spikes I'd expect 30 hours in rather than 5 or ten hours in, and Demon's had those early spikes and depleting health. Granted this is pretty nitpicky for Dark 1 and (since the game is pretty reasonable to assume you've played a Souls game before) 3, but still, was impressed I didn't really run into those for BB. Especially since the super difficult or long treks between lanterns were also usually accompanied by an area where it's easy to grind for health potions.
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by ajapam Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:53 pm

Bloodborne is fair, and probably easier than Dark Souls, when it comes to generic mobs. Bosses, though? Gasgoigne is worse than the Capra demon in DS1, and the Capra demon was trash

Also the estus flask system was the only good way to tackle health in these games.
ajapam
ajapam
Jill Sandwich

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:41 pm

I really didn't have any trouble with those bosses. Only the Blood Stained Beast really felt cheap, but that one's optional so I wasn't fretting over that. I will say I preferred the Estus flask though, I just think From knew you'd need more health potions than Dark and didn't like how that system would work when you had 20 as opposed to five or ten.
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:58 pm

It's a testament to the game's design that one person's hated boss is fine for another person. There doesn't seem to be one boss in particular that everyone agrees is "cheap". I didn't hate the Blood-Starved Beast (all about those diagonal dodges, man!)

Though there is a boss later on in the game that everyone agrees is annoying.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:13 pm

I started up Firewatch. I really like the dialogue and it has a pretty cool map system that reminds me of Far Cry 2's. I just got to the next boss in Bloodborne after Blood Starved Beast, but haven't beat it yet. I also have Kirby Star Allies coming in from GameFly.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

http://thetripleoption.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by ajapam Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:25 am

I'm curious to see how you feel about Firewatch when it's over. The ending seems pretty controversial and while I sort of see what they were going for, I'm not sure it was entirely worth it
ajapam
ajapam
Jill Sandwich

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:33 pm

Firewatch feels like a game I'd happily watch but not really want to play myself.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:07 am

Started up Kirby Star Allies. I beat the first world. Good fun so far. The AI doesn't seem as much of a problem in the main game. Not sure if I just have a better handle on it or it is actually different. Otherwise, my impressions are pretty similar. It has a pretty neat world map too.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:45 am

Started up Ori and the Blind Forest last night (another game in my series of "not giant RPG/Open world" games) and I'm really enjoying it so far. The score and visuals in particular are really impressive. My only gripe, and it's minor, is I sometimes have a hard time making out the beneficial shiny orbs that are floating towards me vs evil enemy laser beams when things get crazy. But so far so good. Will probably play a bit more tomorrow.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:40 pm

I really like how Nintendo's been making a few platformers that let you wander around the world map rather than just move from one level to the next. Remember Super Mario 3D World did the same.
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:00 pm

Yeah it’s a really cool touch. Yoshi’s Woolly World too.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:31 am

I actually played Woolly World on the 3DS and it didn't have that.
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:54 pm

Ah I didn't realize that. The Wii U Woolly World had something like Kirby's. It had a hub in the middle with stuff like the Amiibo and secret tents and then a way to hop down to each world around it. You can kind of see it in this video:

Nothing crazy, but again just kind of neat I guess.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:31 am

I finished Kirby. I liked it, but not as much as the last few similar Kirby games (Return to Dream Land, Triple Deluxe and Planet Robobot). There are some cool bosses, new powers, the mixing abilities thing is cool... otherwise pretty standard Kirby stuff. I think the AI made bosses a bit easier than normal. And the puzzles/hidden collectibles seemed even more simple/obvious than normal. Those both made the game easy even by Kirby standards. Still it was fun.

In Bloodborne, I am now somewhere in the Forbidden Woods. I'm still enjoying it, just not playing it as much as I try and play other stuff as well. Only played a couple in-game "days" of Firewatch so far. Just not super into it I guess. I have Far Cry 5 coming in from GameFly and am super excited to play that. It sounds pretty sweet.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:12 pm

I've been busy moving in and out of places (found a new place that didn't work out, long story) so my gaming has mostly been on handhelds lately. Picked up Pokemon Conquest up again though and forgot how great the game was and I normally hate SRPGs. Has all the Pokemon mechanics that keep the series so addicting to me and has all the battles be pretty bite sized, about the same length as the typical Mario + Rabbids level. And there's ridiculous amounts of content here too.
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:38 am

@Trip - The Forbidden Woods is where I had to start leveling for the first time. I recommend going back and helping people with bosses you've already beaten (since you get echoes from them even when helping). I also missed a few key short cuts in the Forbidden Woods so stay vigilent. It speeds up again once you get past it though, but the woods is by far the slowest part of the game.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:49 am

Playing the shit out of Zelda, still need to beat all the other things on my plate (sense I'm getting close...ish with The Witcher 3).
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:44 pm

The Forbidden Woods has definitely been my least favorite part of the game so far. There is this one section where the interesting level structure of the game just sort of goes out the window in favor of a giant blob of an area. I did make it to the boss of the area, but only fought it a couple times and decided to shelve it for another day.

I think the thing I hate most about the game is having to run back to boss fights. One of my pet peeves in games is having to repeat rote/uninteresting sections of a game before doing a challenging part. Like an unskippable cutscene or one of those slow walking sections that occurs before a big fight in some games. I recall this one Batman fight where I had to run down a hallway before retrying for no good reason. If the runs back to bosses in Bloodborne were in any way part of the challenge, I'd be fine with them. (Like I had no problem having to refight the actual bosses a dozen times before beating them, the actual boss fights have been one of the highlights.) But I'm literally just running by enemies as there is no reason to fight them again before retrying the boss fight. It feels like a complete waste of my time.

Anyway, I started up Far Cry 5. It is pretty cool so far. They changed the way your uncover the map and gain missions (basically just by exploring) and also the way the skill points/tree works which have both been good changes I think. Otherwise, it still feels like Far Cry and I'm reminded why I liked this series so much. The bow, the takedowns and so on. I was a bit lukewarm on Primal and I wondered if it was fatigue or the lack of modern weaponry and gadgets hurting the variety of approaches and scenarios and I think it is definitely the latter after getting into this.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:58 pm

I think the idea is that they want dying to feel like a "punishment" I guess, but yeah, there are times when you get into a groove and just want to jump right back in. That said, there's maybe a shortcut in the forbidden woods you missed (if you got to the boss) that makes getting back the boss MUCH easier. I missed it my first play through, but you should be able to get back to the boss without fighting anyone.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:28 pm

There's tons of shortcuts to that boss to the point where shortcuts have shortcuts. I actually think that whole trek back to the boss mechanic works better in BB than Souls since they often line the path up with enemies that drop health so I'd usually end up with a surplus of recovery items each trek even after I healed from the fight but nonetheless, its an annoying design choice From needs to stop doing.

Also got an XB1X with a copy of Far Cry 5 for $400 So been playing that. Haven't got far enough to comment on the changes but holy fuck is this game gorgeous on my TV
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:07 am

I wasn't really complaining about it in regards to that particular boss. Having only just made it to it, I am no doubt missing shortcuts. I would be surprised if I was missing them on all of the other bosses I fought and having discussed this with others it seems like there is usually still time spent running back to bosses even with the shortest routes. Again it is just a small annoyance in a game I otherwise largely enjoy.

I played a little Burnout Paradise Remastered. I really love just looking for billboards and big jumps in this. And the stunt runs too. I look forward to getting some game nights in with the old 1up gang!
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:30 pm

I'm in two minds about it - because on the one hand the director of BB said that mechanically everything in it is designed to make you feel like you've overcome an impossible challenge. And to a certain extent, I think having to get back to the boss and FINALLY beating it does accomplish that. You learn the route, you've "mastered" the area - so to speak, you know how to avoid certain enemies and which ones to kill easily for an item drop. It also makes bosses less predictable since you would see a mid level lamp and know how far you were in relation to the next boss right away.

That said, maybe they could add some sort of mechanic of "paying" something to get to a point closer to the boss once you discover it...? I don't know.

Because it does annoy me a bit too, but then I think about the game without it and I'm not sure if it would serve it well. It's a real pickle.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by ajapam Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:46 pm

Cut the number of souls you can retrieve from your bloodstain in half. Or maybe do it like Rogue Legacy and put a penalty on how many souls you'll get for killing the boss. But if enemy respawns are limited like in DS2 these could both be really bad ideas. Granted, limiting spawns was a bad idea to begin with.

Having to run those paths over and over is one of the biggest issues with the series but I agree it has its merits. It's worse on some bosses than others (Bed of Chaos sticks out to me cause it puts that big dude on the bridge in the way)
ajapam
ajapam
Jill Sandwich

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:04 pm

I'm not exactly sure what the solution should be. My favorite part of Bloodborne is the level structure. The way the shortcuts work in concert with the way deaths work is awesome and finding a shortcut is surprisingly exciting because of that. So the solution would have to avoid compromising any of that. You couldn't simply put a lantern in front of boss fights. And simply being able to instantly restart boss fights would go against some of the game logic.

Anyway, the best idea I could come up with would be taking the shortcut stuff to the next level. Perhaps you could make a lantern appear (or fix a lantern that is there but not working or whatever game logic they want to use) right in front of the boss by doing certain things. Like if you put a switch on the path of each major shortcut. So if you get all the major shortcuts to a particular boss you are rewarded with a way to restart the boss more easily. But then having just some of the shortcuts would still help, but not as much. Or you could have certain tough enemies on those shortcut paths (either on outcoves of them or maybe that don't return when you beat them to not compromise the shortcut too much) that would drop a key item. Then if you get say each key item from each shortcut it could combine to fix/spawn the lantern. This feels like it would further reward exploration and/or combat prowess in a way that might be in line with the game, but maybe not... I am new to this sub-genre. I'm sure an actual game developer could come up with a much better idea... haha.

I guess while the runs back to the boss do feel like a punishment for dying, I do not feel they add any challenge and therefore, I'm not sure it's a good punishment for me. And it ends up feeling more like a waste of my time than adding to the impossible challenge that you mention Krubix. The game already makes you drop your blood echoes and makes any item use permanent. So if you need Blood Vials or Fire Paper or the Beast Pellets (or whatever they are called), you may need to stock up again through farming after dying a few times. That feels like adequate punishment to me I guess. I also think there are more efficient ways to get Blood Vials back than beating enemies on my way back to the boss I'm at usually, so I don't tend to do that.

Anyway, I'm a new to this series/genre, so maybe this flies in the face of what people want from it... I don't know.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:34 pm

I think both of you nailed the hammer on the head - as long as there's a cost to it, it fits in that universe. Find your way back to the boss should feel like a bit of a punishment I guess (the easy way, anyway). The problem with the "cut your reclaimed souls by half" thing is, for many bosses, you just write those off anyway and end up having zero.

I do agree with you though, running back to the bosses does suck. It's just a weird fix to make, BUT one that if they did continue the series they should think about.

That said, it wasn't so big of an issue for me that it ruined the experience. And later games (the Bloodborne DLC in particular) is very good about strategically placing its shortcuts and lanterns so you can get right back to the boss.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:51 am

This conversation did give me the itch to play some more Bloodborne (I only stopped because of Kirby/Far Cry). I beat the Shadow of Yharnam which wasn't as hard as I expected based on getting completely destroyed on my first couple attempts last time I played. It just took a few more tries this time around. Though on all my failed attempts I hadn't managed to take one of them down, but the first time I got one of them, I managed to beat them all.

Another mechanic I really like in this game is the one where when you take damage, you can strike back quickly to regain some health.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:28 am

I had a lot of moments like that in Bloodborne - struggling on a boss for a whole play session then crushing it after absorbing it. Guess it just goes to show how good the pattern recognition/tells are on the bosses since one absorbs it like that.

You're now getting into the trippier side of Bloodborne! Have fun.

Another thing I love about Bloodborne (and is typical of all the souls games, I know) is how intricate the story is, and yet if you don't care and just play it for the gameplay, it's still fun. I only began looking up some of the story things about 2/3 of my way through the DLC and it made my subsequent replays more fun since I kind of knew what the little details went.

I have the Bloodborne art book on my shelf and it's one of my favorites, everything in that game is so well thought out. It's crazy that we're finally at a point where the character sketches actually resemble what ends up in the game.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next