August 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Now Playing

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Now Playing

Post by TheMatt on Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:03 am

I finished FFXV the other day. I really enjoyed it, despite not really understanding the story at all... but it didn't really take anything away from my enjoyment of the game. I think I did just about all the side quests and a decent amount of the hunts. I'm not far away from the Platinum in it either so I think I will keep at it until I unlock that.

I do still want to go back and finish the older Final Fantasy games. I've still only finished X, XII, XIII and now XV. I think if I had to rank those I'd do...
XII>XV>X>XIII

Cigar-chomping Dirty Old Man

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber on Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:49 am

VII and IX are my favorite. I've played them all except the two online games and XIII-3. You've played a lot of the ones people seem to like the least, so you could be in for good things if you do play them.

I'll just reply to you here instead of the limiting Twitter. I basically played the exact same way you did. I'd see those question mark side quest pop up and I'd just salivate with excitement. There were parts when I'd finally do the story missions and I literally had no idea what I was doing in regards to the story. The side quests and hunts were so fun, the story became an after thought to me. Then I buckled down and just did nothing but the story for the last 7 or 8 chapters, and it started making more sense, and I enjoyed it. The ending didn't feel cheap like I had been reading, and I actually really liked it.

I too am so close to the platinum, I'm chipping away at that. Some of those later side quests are really hard though, you'll go up against guys that kill you in 1 hit for whatever reason.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SanAndreasX on Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:22 pm

I'd rank the last four FF games the same way. I've also played XI and XIV/ I'm not sure where to rank them in the series, though XIV is a huge improvement over XI (at least after A Realm Reborn). XII is my seconf favorite Final Fantasy only to VII.

The SNES and PS1 games are classics. The NES-era games are kind of rough and still feature a lot of really old-school RPG mechanics and storylines, though there is still fun to be had. My favorite of the NES games is ironically the one that's generally considered the worst of that lot, Final Fantasy II. It was their first serious attempt at story-driven FF title, the other two NES games were driven by RPG mechanics with only rudimentary attempts at stock RPG story elements. It also had the best music of the three.

PSN: Super_King666
Nintendo: SanAndreasX
Steam: San_Andreas_X
3DS Friend Code: 2294-5129-1033
SanAndreasX
Biotic God

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 on Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:34 am

I finished Oxenfree. It was really neat. The dialogue was cool. Think they did a good job of getting the feel of a group of friends I think. I loved the look of it, the simple layout of the map, and the radio mechanic. The story was twisty and interesting. And there is a pretty crazy form of online interaction with it. I didn't even understand it until after finishing the game. One day I'd like to try the New Game+ option.

With that finished off, I started up Gravity Rush 2 and played a good three hours. They have tweaked a bunch of tiny things that help it control better based on what I've played (I still haven't gained all the powers, so not sure on everything). Huge improvement to the object throwing ability in particular. Makes combat less gravity kick heavy since it is more viable now. Having fun with it. Just got to the first big city, so things should pick up. Also pretty cool, it gave me outfits for having played the remastered version on PS4. All the DLC outfits just unlocked for me when I made it to the new location.
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

View user profile http://thetripleoption.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher on Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:52 am

Beat Fallout 4. Still have a bunch of side missions to do and places to explore, but gonna take a break from it until the DLC hits a good price. Played a lot lately. Gonna see if I'd rather play DQVIII and Dark Souls 3 now. Get the feeling I'd have more fun with DS3, but DQVIII will be more of a breath of fresh air since I play Souls games all the time and it's been a while since my last DQ.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube on Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:00 pm

I am really enjoying Titanfall 2. I don't remember who said it here, but whoever did I agree: it's fun. It just throws you into situations, keeps the pace moving, doesn't bog you down with some self-important plot. So sad it didn't do super well, because it's a great game.

Steam: Krubixcube         3DS Friend Code: 1950-9553-1102         PSN:KrubixCube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SanAndreasX on Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:05 am

Yesterday saw the release of three games I've been really wanting: Yakuza 0, Tales of Berseria, Resident Evil 7. I picked up the former two, with Yakuza 0 coming in a nice little collector's edition. Been playing it today.

PSN: Super_King666
Nintendo: SanAndreasX
Steam: San_Andreas_X
3DS Friend Code: 2294-5129-1033
SanAndreasX
Biotic God

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber on Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:50 am

There was a crazy amount of releases for Sony over the last week, they should have tried to spread that out a little.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube on Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:55 pm

Finished Titanfall 2...really liked it just wish there was maybe...25% more of it, but everything I played I enjoyed. Back to FFXV. I have so many thoughts about this game. SO MANY. Will save them for when I finish.

Steam: Krubixcube         3DS Friend Code: 1950-9553-1102         PSN:KrubixCube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher on Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:32 pm

There's a new Yugioh game on mobile I tried out since I used to be into that as a kid and got some nostalgia from checking out The Abridged Series (which is pretty damn hilarious even if you didn't watch the show). It's pretty fun, a bit dumbed down from the official game, but still plenty of ways to customize your deck and have cool strategies.

Also trying to beat DQVIII before the Switch comes out. Really solid RPG. No big wow moments so far or incredibly deep mechanics, but everything works really well and there's plenty of charm to it so I'm really enjoying it.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 on Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:22 am

I finished Gravity Rush 2. I enjoyed it for the same reasons I have stated a few times on here: more of what I loved from the first with some improvements. I just think the mission design was inconsistent which brought it down from being a home run. I feel like they have this great moveset for both getting around and combat, but don't do the best job utilizing it all the time. It felt like they were trying to add some variety into things, but ultimately some of the designs just got away from the fun parts of this game. Still had fun. I plan to try for the platinum unless some of these lame side missions drive me away before I get there.

I started up Shantae: Half-Genie Hero. It is pretty fun. The new artstyle looks pretty nice. I wasn't sure I'd like the move away from the old school sprite-style. The sense of humor remains intact. I just don't like that it is more stage-based. I loved the structure of Pirate's Curse. I wish it had remained like that. Still a good time.

Back to working on Mass Effect too. Hoping to finish it this month before Zelda arrives.
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber on Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:26 am

Portable I'm playing the remaster of Jak and Daxter the Precursor Legacy.  It's my favorite of the series, and it's fun to play on portable.  Definitely not the preferred way to play it, but I'm still having fun.  Also going to play Final Fantasy IV the PSP version as well.  Got to the last dungeon before Dragon Quest VII came out, and just never finished it.

Console I'm playing World of Final Fantasy which is fun and charming.  Looks like a more kiddie Final Fantasy, but it's a lot harder than Final Fantasy XV.  I've had normal enemies kick my ass.  Also playing Knack, it was $5 and I'm enjoying it.  It's no Ratchet or Mario, but even for $20 I wouldn't be mad with the purchase. Pretty hard game for a game more aimed at kids.

Knowing the kind of games I play, do you think I'd like Shantae?

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 on Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:24 am

Not sure you would like Shantae. It is really silly which I know you aren't a big fan of. You really aren't into the series that act as its inspiration either.
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 on Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:57 am

Finished a replay of Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy. I still really love it!

I am replaying The Minish Cap now. I have always been impressed with its judicious use of space. The world isn't huge, but it's dense especially with the shrinking aspect factored in. Will be interesting to go from this to the giant world of Breath of the Wild.
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber on Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:40 am

I was wondering why you haven't gotten the platinum for Jak 3 since it's your favorite game. I've figured you've collected all of the collectibles at least once in your life. Or is it really that hard where you don't want to bother?

After I beat Jak I'll probably delete it off my vita because I know how hard Jak 2 is I don't even want to bother. That game was super hard with a normal controller, I think on the Vita it would drive me mad.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 on Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:42 am

Yeah, I did Jak II and 3 plus the Ratchet trilogy all 100% on PS2 and wasn't exactly dying to do them again to that extent on PS3. I did plan to chip away at the Jak 3 one for pretty much the reason you said. It wasn't too hard. There are some tough mini-games you need to beat that I'm not very good at though. I don't think I ever really got around to trying them much on PS3. Like whenever I sit down to play it, I'd rather replay some favorite levels (it has that handy level select option). Maybe I should have that platinum, but I do already have the satisfaction of completing it 100% which is generally why I go for platinums.
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher on Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:53 am

Checked out a F2P Yugioh game on my phone. Used to play the card game a lot as a kid and am having a ton of fun with it. It's a bit dumbed down, but not too much and handles the F2P elements really well. You can get cards and rewards pretty consistently without spending any money. Between this and Bomberman Konami isn't looking as hopeless as I thought.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber on Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:45 am

When Final Fantasy VII released on the PS4 I had to get the platinum. It was my favorite game and I never tried to beat the two hardest bosses in the game. It was a journey I'm glad I accomplished since everyone should do everything in your favorite game.

I've been having a hankering of replaying some old PS3 games, but I should probably beat the PS4 games I own that I haven't touched first. Life is really hard sometimes.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher on Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:29 pm

The only games I've ever tried to Plat/get every achievement for are Ratchet: ACiT and Batman AA. Those ones I had fun with the whole way though (besides My Blaster Runs Hot. Fuck that minigame). Every other one I got naturally like the Mass Effect games. I just usually find that one trophy/achievement that makes me think, "Nope, not worth it. I'm playing Pokemon instead."

That said it's a VERY good thing Nintendo doesn't do trophies/achievements otherwise I would so get them for every Pokemon game.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber on Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:57 pm

My Blaster Runs Hot was a bitch of a trophy. I had a friend come over and help me with that. Wasn't the last one I needed, but it was definitely the hardest. Once I got that out of the way I knew it would be easy sailing. It was either my second or first platinum. It was either that or Hannah Montana! No shame.

AA would be really hard. At least it seemed really hard when I played it for the first time when it released. I probably only got about 25% of those trophies.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher on Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:29 am

AA was hard, but not annoying. I liked getting all the Riddler trophies in it since they never got too obscure and most were puzzles. I never bothered with AC or AK because they're too big to find them all. The challenge maps were the real tricky part because you have to use every single move in a combo to get them, but it's really rewarding to pull it off. It's the reason I prefer AA's combat so much more to the later games where they changed the multipliers so how many hits you get is more important than anything.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube on Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:15 pm

The only game I will probably ever plat (don't worry guys...it's me!) is Bloodborne. All the trophies feel very organic/linked to actual challenges and not obscure grinding challenges or stupid things. All I have left is killing the Queen of Yarnham, and getting the other two endings!

Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher on Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:43 am

Basically a plat needs to make me feel like this is stuff I would want to do anyways. It's kind of the design mindset that something is finished when there's nothing you can add, but perfect when there's nothing you should take out.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube on Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:18 am

Agreed! There's a trophy in the new Nier game (which I can't speak to its quality) if you look up the character's skirt 10 times. Those kind of trophies (or the "you have to die" trophies) are bad imo.

Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ajapam on Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:29 pm

I only really like trophies for major milestones and odd gameplay challenges, like beating HL2: Episode 1 using one bullet

Looks like I'm gonna get BotW at launch Cool

ajapam
Jill Sandwich

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMatt on Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:58 pm

Been playing Odin Sphere leifthrasir on PS4. I watched my roommate play parts of it in college on PS2. I remember it being a really cool game, but the frame rate slowed down so badly when there were a lot of enemies or a big boss that it was almost unplayable.

This edition does not suffer from this at all. The art is amazing, the combat is really neat. It's been great to finally play what seems like a definitive edition of this game. There's a bunch of new stuff in this version apparently but it's all new to me. You can do cross save with the Vita version but I haven't tried that yet. Would be great on portable but it looks amazing on the big screen so I'll stick to that.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube on Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:22 pm

I tried this game (the remaster back on PS3) and found it kind of...meh, but Atlus is WONDERFUL at fine tuning their games so I might give it another shot.

Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMatt on Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:26 pm

I don't know if they really did much to the actual gameplay... but like I said before it runs a lot smoother and the art is amazing. Plus the load times on the PS2 version were TERRIBLE and now they are non existent. I think the English voice acting is pretty terrible and the story isn't anything special... but there's something to the combat. Especially when you consider there are five playable characters all with different play styles, combos and techniques to learn.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube on Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:36 pm

I'll have to add the Odin Sphere remaster to my list @__@

Started up Dark Souls III and boy did I feel the learning curve coming from Bloodborne. That game punishes you for being impatient but I've started to get used to it now.

Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 on Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:00 am

Started up Horizon Zero Dawn today. Played a couple hours. Quite fun so far. The way Aloy controls is awesome. Makes for really smooth combat. Didn't get to try out many weapons. Just the bow and the tripwire thing which was pretty cool. Hard to make much of mission/quest design so far. Looking forward to playing more.
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top