April 2018
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Now Playing

Page 10 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down

Re: Now Playing

Post by volvocrusher on Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:56 pm

I might be doing a Horizon spoiler cast for Nerds Without Pants. We were spitballing doing one on Twitter at least.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube on Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:07 pm

What timing!

One thing I will say about it on the negative, and on a very subjective level, is while I enjoy the world as a concept (robot dinosaurs, people back from the stone age, etc) I don't feel too motivated to learn more about the world in the dialogue sections.

As I've been playing The Witcher I find myself ALWAYS asking the supplemental, non-mission questions for some extra backstory but I find myself skipping it most times in Horizon. Maybe it's more of a characterization problem than an inherent problem with their lore, but it definitely stood out since I'm playing two "big" games simultaneously.

Steam: Krubixcube         3DS Friend Code: 1950-9553-1102         PSN:KrubixCube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher on Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:33 pm

The world gets a LOT more interesting about halfway through. I was done with the gameplay then, but the story kept me playing.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube on Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:56 pm

Bret warned me to avoid getting sucked into too many side quests, so I guess you would also support that assessment?

Steam: Krubixcube         3DS Friend Code: 1950-9553-1102         PSN:KrubixCube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher on Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:00 pm

Depends on what he meant. There's some menial busywork tasks that aren't worth your time, but a good chunk of side quests have the care and writing you'd see in a main quest.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber on Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:43 pm

My warning was about not getting too sucked into doing them, because you lose a bit of the story along the way. I'd literally run around for hours and hours doing every side mission I could until there wasn't anymore to do, and when I'd go back to the actual story I'd forget what the hell I was doing because I spent a week doing so much stuff I didn't have to. The side quests can be really great, and they do really flesh out a lot of the characters, I just recommend maybe doing one or two for every story mission.

There's also tutorials on all of the different weapons and challenges for them, I didn't discover this until late in the game which would have been helpful. They really help you understand the weapon and also give you some good XP to earn for using them.

My problem with a lot of games I get addicted to is that I fall madly in love with them, beat them really fast, and it all becomes some kind of blur a year later when I try to talk about it. I'll try to have some conversations, but I might be a bit rusty on it.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube on Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:09 pm

I wish the weapons tutorials were automatic. For instance, on the precision long bow it just says to hit 3 watchers in the eye with it. So I did that and only then figured out the quest has to be active for it to count. Seems to make more sense that they'd be passively on but hey, what do I know? So you would recommend the tutorial quests? I've been avoiding them for the most part.

Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber on Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:09 pm

I'd recommend them because you'll learn to use weapons you might not use and you'll see their uses. If I'm not mistake, they also show you a little video clip as well, right? Plus, a lot of them are really good for earning XP.

There's just something about side quests in games with RPG elements that I just can't ignore. It's like crack cocaine, I need it. I don't actually do crack cocaine, it was an example.

Definitely do those side missions where you go into those places that I cannot for the life of me remember the name of. There's 5 of them I believe, and on the map they have really weird symbols. One of them is a main mission I believe. CAULDRONS! Literally just came to me. Those are really cool, and they give you more powers for doing them. One of them I tackled probably a little too soon because I was a low level, and t was one of the most gratifying boss fights I ever had in a game because of how hard it was. I really had to use all sorts of weapons to beat him down.

Another thing about that game, the bow that tears off pieces of the machines is one of the greatest video game sounds ever. Right up there with the trophy ding and the Killzone kill bleep.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube on Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:10 am

I just beat one of those cauldrons and after fighting the same boss 2 times and dying I left every trap I had in that room and crushed it which was quite satisfying.

Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 on Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:26 am

I never bothered with the weapon tutorials after the first couple. I didn't really find that I needed the help figuring them out (that I couldn't do via experimentation) or that I was hurting for XP at any point. I really loved the cauldrons and hunting grounds side missions. And the hunting lodge side quest is a must.
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

View user profile http://thetripleoption.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube on Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:57 pm

I was going to avoid the hunting ones, so I'm glad you told me!

Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 on Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:48 am

I finished Partners in Time. It is a good game. It has a similar core of what made up Superstar Saga so it is still a fun game. But it seems like in most areas it just doesn't measure up or is a full on step back. The story and villains aren't as good. I preferred the Bros. moves in SS to the item stuff in PiT. And most importantly I liked the open-world structure of SS way more than the linear levels of PiT. The last boss sequence felt like it took forever too. It didn't feel hard, it just had a ton of HP, so it took a while. That is something I'm just not a big fan of in games. Still I liked it. I'm going to wait longer before I play the next Mario & Luigi game. I don't think playing them so close together did Partners in Time any favors. I need a little break before I play another.
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher on Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:56 am

Still chipping away at FFXII. I've got the most interesting licenses for the most part, so at this point it feels more like I'm just checking off a list and am kind of over the game for now. I'm definitely coming back to it later after I beat it for the post game content, but I just want to move onto something else.

Also beat Jak 1 and am replaying Jak 2 now. I think 1 is overall the better game, but 2 has held up really well. There's nothing like it today, it stands out so much even when we're oversaturated with sandbox games while also feeling different than every other platformer. Though 3 is still my favorite, it's better designed than 2 while still keeping what made it unique. Also 1997-2004 Naughty Dog platforming is some of the best platforming out there.

Will rotate a game or two of DB Fighterz in there too. Game is a blast

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 on Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:20 am

I beat Celeste and loved it. The platforming is really challenging. I died a lot, but the instant respawns and plentiful checkpoints made it easy to keep at it. And when you complete a tough portion it feels so satisfying. The story really struck a chord with me too. It deals with things like anxiety, depression, self-doubt, etc. and manages to be really funny as well. I'm excited to explore some of the extra content too.

I'm onto Jak X in my replay of that series. I don't like it as much as the main trilogy, but I still think its pretty cool. The cutscenes are really funny. I like some of the new characters. It is neat to hear and see references to the other games. And I love all the non-traditional events the game has. The typical circuit races are probably my least favorite due to rubber banding and perhaps a bit too much chaos from weapons, but some of the other events are really cool and unique. They have death race and rush hour which have you trying to destroy as many drones as you can on a race track (rush hour you run over oncoming cars, death race you use weapons and chase them down). The freeze rallies are an awesome take on time trials. They have several arena modes like death match, one where you race to grab artifacts or compete with other drivers to destroy roaming machines. I just really dig all these different types of races/events they made in this game.
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber on Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:41 pm

Knack 2 and Resident Evil 7 are the two main games I'm focusing on right now. I like Resident Evil 7, but I'm always concerned I'm using too much ammo or too much health items and it kind of makes the game not fun for me. It's just the kind of stress that isn't appealing. In The Last of Us I know if I use too much ammo I just have to try and stealth better, but there's no such thing here.

Time for me to say some controversial things. I like Knack better than Crash Bandicoot. In no way do I really think the game is better, I just have more fun with Knack because there's more story and it's a lot less frustrating. Unlike most I never played the Crash games when they were first released so I don't have that attachment to them like a lot of people do.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 on Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:37 am

I played a few chapters of Knack this weekend. There isn't anything particularly annoying or terrible about it, but boy is it dull. The story/characters are all super bland. The level design is basically just a series of arena rooms with the occasional breakable wall. And the brawling just lacks any sort of depth. It was kind of fun when Knack got really big and you could just tear shit up I guess. Don't know if it is worth going back to. Maybe if I have a lull between other games.

Mostly focusing on Jak X at the moment. I like it more than I remember. I still have Shadow of War out from Netflix and just started the Shadow of the Colossus remaster thing. I'll put more time into them when I finish up Jak X.
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher on Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:16 pm

Yeah, I agree on Knack Trip, what I played doesn't seem like there's much to the game. I mean, not the worst way to kill a few minutes, but there are better ways too. I actually think Knack is really frustrating too because there's too little to the combat. It's not like say Bayonetta where if I'm at low health I have plenty of options to do, Knack I can just hope I get enough time to pull off the one combo I have before an enemy hits me, there's no real fluidity to the game.

In other news I beat FFXII and started up Assassin's Creed Origins. I like it so far, but kind of for novelty reasons. I like that I'm playing a full RPG without any fantasy or sci-fy elements (yes I know, AC is technically sci-fy, but it doesn't feel that way for majority of the experience) and just how gorgeous the game is. Other than that it's Assassin's Creed which is to say perfectly fine, but not spectacular mechanics in an amazing, but seldom explored world in gaming. I like that the mechanics are new but they still don't feel that much better than functional.

Don't think I'll be focusing much on it for the near future though because I also started a new game in Kotor since it's on Xbox One. I was afraid since it's been a while since I last played it the game might feel too, but it's the good kind of old. Seeing cheesy but still fun 70's/80's puppets in original Star Wars movies old, not terrible CG in the rereleases and prequels old. And all the ways you can customize your character each time you level up, how you have four or five different dialog options which elicit a different response even when it leads to the same place, all the different ways you can approach combat. REMEMBER WHEN BIOWARE MADE RPGS GUYS?

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber on Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:53 pm

Beat Knack 2, and unlike 90% of the world I really enjoyed it. Pretty much stopped playing every game at home I was playing while playing it (except for games I play with my cousin). They definitely improved a lot of things over the first game, almost everything actually. Better story, better brawling, better level designs, better platforming. They added some vehicle segments I wish they would have done a bit more with because they were pretty cool. This is probably going in one eye and out the other on here because I know no one likes it, but I felt like adding my experience.

Onto Resident Evil 7 and I'll start up whatever Kingdom Hearts game is next on the list.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher on Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:29 pm

Beat Kotor for the umpteenth time. Did every side mission this time too except the bounty hunter one which has you travel to the most out of reach areas in two planets I'd already been to and since my party had plenty of XP without it, I didn't bother. But damn, I forgot how much I loved this game and why it got me into RPGs. Love every character except your utility droid T3-M4, combat's still a blast with a good amount of customization, and has some really great loot.

The animations look clunky, but the graphics didn't age as bad as I thought. It still looks worse than some Dreamcast games, but that gen's graphics are more and more blurry between good and bad and they didn't look as horrid as they did when I first played the game. Story holds up much better than I remember too. Kotor 2 made me remember it as just the popcorn fun, but there's a good amount of depth with each planet's culture and quests, as well as the characters. The moral ambiguity isn't as prevalent as 2's, but it's still a step up from most RPGs, even the Mass Effect games. Kind of want to replay some more Bioware games now. Might give Inquisition a replay since I got its GOTY version on sale. Or I could finish Andromeda (that obviously is a joke)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber on Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:09 pm

Curr3ntly playing Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories. God this game sucks. Why did they think that card combat would be fun? If anyone here has played it how important is it to the series storyline and are the other games this bad?

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher on Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:47 pm

Picked Nier back up for the B plot and it's fine, but I'm not a big a fan of this second character as much as 2B's. The hacking element is a nice twist, but I'm afraid too much of it will get rehashed the way things are going before I can go to something as different as the other ones.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 on Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:39 pm

I’ve been playing the Shadow of the Colossus remake thing on PS4. It was kind of weird to get used to the fidelity. It changes the art and atmosphere a bit but the environments do look great. It is a game that just isn’t quite the same on repeat play throughs due to the puzzle heavy nature of the boss fights. The music is as awesome as ever.

I’m also renting Arms. Ehhhh. Only played a bit but not sure I’m into this at all.
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber on Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:54 pm

I'll see people playing Arms when I'm at work and the game just doesn't look fun at all, but I could be totally wrong though since all I did was watch it as I'm passing by.

Made it to world 3 of Mario Galaxy 2. Enjoying the game a lot, but I still wish the game was played with a regular controller, but I'm sure it would be super easy if it was made for one. I'm not finding it as hard as other motion games which is nice but the controls do feel wanky a bit at times but that's mainly due to the camera. Is it just me or is the analog on the nunchuk really bad? Can't really be mine since I never really used it.

Beat Tales of Hearts R on the Vita and moved on to Adventures in Mana for my current mobile game. It's okay, kind of feels like a mixture of Zelda and Dragon Quest. Something really stupid about the game is that the clock keeps ticking even if you have your Vita in standby. I've only played an hour but it shows that I've played 9 hours and that's bothering me a lot more than it should.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 on Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:32 am

I played the bonus episode of Life is Strange: Before the Storm. There isn't a whole lot to it, but I enjoyed it for what it was. It was sweet and sad and gave me a bit more time with a couple of characters I'm really fond of. I'm excited to see where they take this series in the future.

I also played the demo for Kirby Star Allies. The gameplay is pretty standard Kirby fare. I liked the combining abilities thing, but felt the AI was occasionally doing a bit too much of the work for me or killing enemies that I was planning on copying/recruiting. That could get annoying in single-player over time. It might just be a title better suited for co-op, but I will likely be playing it solo, so I'm not sure how that will go. Still looking forward to playing it.
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher on Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:49 am

Yeah I got the same impression Trip. Still really looking forward to it

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube on Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:09 pm

I finished up Pyre which I enjoyed but like all of Supergiant's game it felt like there was...something missing. In the course of trimming the fat, they trimmed some delicious morsels as well.

BUT I give them points for trying something different, so points all around for that. It still did the obscure storytelling thing that kind of annoyed me about Transistor but I liked the characters enough to overcome that this time. I honestly wanted less story and more RPG basketball. I miss arcade-like sports games in general.

I've got Ori and the Blind Forest installed, still chugging through The Witcher 3: Blood and Wine and Horizon as well.

Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber on Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:35 pm

Beat World 4 of Super Mario Galaxy 2. My plan is to finish it before Ni no Kuni 2, shouldn't be a problem. Enjoying it a lot. I wish I could remember more a bout the first Galaxy game to compare the two.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 on Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:25 am

Really enjoying Bloodborne so far. I like how the level structure works with areas looping back around on themselves and creating short cuts to your little warp/respawn points. It really makes the whole death system work pretty well. That is kind of what scared me off of these games, but I guess it isn't as bad as I thought even if some things about the repetition are still kind of annoying. This is one of the rare games this year that has me excited and looking forward to my next play session which is sweet.
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube on Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:17 pm

I'm glad you like it! The level design in that game is really well thought out, and the challenge is always tough, but fair. I know the designers are all about creating a feeling of accomplishment when you finally defeat a tough enemy and it definitely feels that way. The first area in particular - when you come back to it later in the game to farm blood vials you CRUSH it because the memory is ingrained.

I think I mentioned already that Dead Cells is my new "listen to a podcast/news" game, and I also booted up Just Cause 3 last night for shits and giggles with a buddy and man, I enjoyed it WAY more than I thought I would. Never been super into the "just fuck around"-type open world games, but it's designed so cleverly by giving you upgrades by completing specific challenges in that skill set etc. Good stuff.

Other than that still chugging through The Witcher 3 and Horizon. I will say with Horizon I feel like I'm playing it...wrong somehow. Like, most of the time I'm winning my dinosaur fights by glitching their AI but they all have invisible boundaries they stay within so I can't help but use that tactic.

Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber on Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:45 am

Beat World 5 of Galaxy 2. I'm really enjoying the game, and I think they should do more ice levels because skating around is super fun. The difficulty is just right too. Glad I got around to this, and I'm hoping to finish this before Ni no Kuni 2 comes out. 14 more stars to go!

Wanted something else relatively quick and easy to get through before NNK2, so I started up Modern Warfare's campaign. Started it on the PS3 but abandoned it when I fell in love with multiplayer. I've played some Call of Duty campaigns, and all I can remember from them is that I never know what the fuck is going on in the story.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum