Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Top 5 Gaming Goals For 2018 (with 2016 and 2017 also mixed in)
by BretBaber Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:47 pm

» Now Playing
by volvocrusher Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:27 pm

» General TV Show Discussion
by volvocrusher Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:48 pm

» First Half of 2018 Questionnaire (GotY So Far, etc.)
by volvocrusher Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:35 pm

July 2019
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Now Playing

Page 8 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down

Now Playing - Page 8 Empty Re: Now Playing

Post by TripOpt55 on Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:15 pm

Played Odyssey a lot this weekend. It is lot of fun, but some of the things that I was worried about have definitely proven true. Not enough challenging platforming bits. A bit too much dead space in some of the larger levels. It feels like it goes overboard with moons and I think this is a case where the less is more approach should have been applied. It isn't just that there aren't as many platforming-focused moons as I'd like. Not even all of the rest come from satisfying exploration/secret-finding. Too many take no discernible skill and deliver no sense of satisfaction when you get them. Feels like you are simply knocking one off the checklist. It also kind of bugs me that they mapped so many skills to motion controls when they could use any of the buttons that are used for the same action as another (jump, hat throw, crouch, and camera reset all have two buttons that do the same thing). I'm not opposed to motion controls, but given the Switch's appeal as a console and handheld, it doesn't make sense when using these functions in handheld form doesn't really work.

Still there is great platforming here. The moveset is incredible and is fun to experiment with in the worlds. I do think Nintendo shows they do this format much better than say Banjo or Yooka-Laylee did. I think the odd world aesthetics don't bother me as much as I thought they would. It can be super creative and I just find the plot of Bowser stealing wedding stuff hilarious. The way it transitions into 2D is neat. I have played some really brilliant sequences. There is some wonderful fan service. Overall just not in love with it as so many others are I guess.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

View user profile http://thetripleoption.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber on Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:51 am

Seeing so many people talking about Mario makes me want to play a Mario game. I never play Mario Galaxy 2 on the Wii and I did purchase it last year, maybe I should start that up sometime soon.

Beat Crash Bandicoot 1, and it's definitely the hardest game I've ever beat that I can remember. So many frustrating parts, and it is so hard to get used to not having a double jump when it is standard in platformers now. Started up the second game and that seems a lot better, but the levels definitely seem less creative. Not sure why I'm bitching, the creativity of the first game's levels is what made it so hard. I really like any level that has the boat, and of course the snow levels are on fleek!

Last of the Mudokons

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube on Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:56 am

I feel the platforming is way more responsive and the hitboxes better in 2 and 3 hands down. For me, excellent level design is held back by the platforming in the first game.

Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber on Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:13 pm

Definitely. There were times I was positive I made the jump went plummeting to my death. I probably grew gray hairs because of that game, I got so stressed out when I knew I was close to a check point or finishing a level.

Last of the Mudokons

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher on Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:19 pm

I'm enjoying Odyssey a lot, but pretty much in the same boat as Trip. A fun game that I can see myself playing on and off for a really long time, but I prefer 2D and Galaxy's formulas to this. Would probably include the 3D games too if they both weren't so damn easy.

Goddess of the Seal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 on Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:15 am

Played about five hours of Assassin's Creed Origins. Just made it to Alexandria. I'm enjoying it. The setting has been as amazing as I had expected. Nothing else has wowed me, but nothing that has really bugged me either. Just a really solid open-world title. I like the more RPG-style of the whole thing. The combat I am still getting used to. Looking forward to putting more time into it.

I'm closing in on the end of Wolfenstein II I think. I really don't know how to feel about this one. Some really odd design decisions and some really poor level layouts and combat encounters here that bring it down. There are definitely some crazy-ass moments from both a story and gameplay element that I really enjoyed so far too, but overall it feels like a big step back from The New Order.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher on Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:26 am

Downloaded Super Lucky's Tale. Just a warning to any PC gamer: This one is surprisingly demanding, check the specs before you check it out if you're interested. My rig couldn't handle it, so I'm playing it on XB1. There's some slowdown, but other than that it's a lot of fun. Basically the game I wish Super Mario 3D Land was.

Goddess of the Seal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube on Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:10 am

That's a shame about the new Wolfenstein game. Will be interested to see your thoughts once you've completed it and let it digest I bit.

Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 on Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:06 pm

I played through Hidden Agenda. I know people like to throw the term interactive movie around erroneously fairly often, but I think it may fit here. You really only choose between dialogue options, do some QTEs and occasionally scan a scene for clues. You don't have direct control over your character like you did for a lot of Until Dawn. It only lasts about two hours, but that probably makes the branching storyline work better. I only played through once, but looking at the trophies I didn't get, there seem to be some very, very different outcomes. I played solo which probably made my decision-making a little easier, but I have to admit, I did pretty awesome. I arrested the killer and kept both characters alive. Might have to look up some other outcomes on Youtube. Some sound kind of hilariously awful. I feel like playing this in a group, you'd almost want something to go terribly wrong for the hilarity of it.

Just started up The Frozen Wilds today, the Horizon expansion and it is really cool so far. Just reminding me how much I loved this game, particularly the combat and world/story.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber on Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:32 am

That Hidden Agenda game sounds pretty cool. If I can try to solve my own Woodsboro murder case I'm definitely interested. Deputy Dewey is very interested.

Last of the Mudokons

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ajapam on Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:09 am

I've been playing Steven's Sausage Roll on Steam. It's visually horrendous but puzzle heaven for me so far. I'm not sure if it's worth the price tag yet (regularly $30, which seems really steep from a glance) but as far as I can tell most people take at least 30 hours to finish it. It really gives you that satisfaction of going from "this is literally impossible" to "I am a genius," and it's one of those puzzle games that I find myself thinking about a lot when I should be sleeping.

ajapam
ajapam
Jill Sandwich

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber on Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:00 am

I've been playing Jak and Daxter on the PS4, and man this game is just so much fun. I know most prefer Jak 3, but this is the best game in the series for me. Just going to location to location, collecting Power Cells, spinning and double jumping my way to success is so much fun. I'll probably get the other two when they remaster them for the PS4, but I still don't think they'll compare with the charm of the first.

Last of the Mudokons

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher on Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:12 pm

I don't judge anyone for picking Jak 1 and would probably say it's my favorite collect a thon platformer, but IMO 3 is so much more unique which gives it an edge for me. There's really no other game like it and it's so much fun.

Goddess of the Seal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber on Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:44 am

I liked 3 a lot more than 2 (2 is one of my least favorite Naughty Dog games), but I’ve only played it one time.

I think one problem I have is the gunplay in Ratchet is so much better, and since I played this after playing probably 5 Ratchet games this big aspect of the game seems weak to me. Like I said though, I’ve only played it once and that was whenever it released on ps3. I’m looking forward to giving it another go. Not 2 though.

Last of the Mudokons

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube on Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:34 am

I still really need to grab that HD collection (did they end up releasing it for PS4?). I've only played bits and pieces of the first (which I enjoyed a lot) and never played 2 and 3.

Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher on Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:32 pm

They released the first as a PS2 Classic on PS4 and have plans to release 2 and 3.

@Bret- I wouldn't really compare the two since after 1 Ratchet is more of a shooter with platforming while Jak is more of a platformer/sandbox with the shooting playing second fiddle. Sure, Ratchet's combat is better, but there's also a lot more of it than in Jak while Jak has a better variety of play and much better platforming segments.

Goddess of the Seal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 on Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:54 am

I started playing Cat Quest. It is very simplistic, but super cute and charming so I’m enjoying it. Lots of cat puns and stuff like that which are constantly making me laugh.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by SanAndreasX on Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:57 am

FUCK YEAH

PSN: Super_King666
Nintendo: SanAndreasX
Steam: San_Andreas_X
3DS Friend Code: 2294-5129-1033
Now Playing - Page 8 UNatwPZ_zps4cce1818
SanAndreasX
SanAndreasX
Biotic God

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube on Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:11 pm

I hope it's more like the first one than its sequels. Quite enjoyed the first game.

Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ajapam on Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:37 pm

I've been playing Samus Returns and Uncharted TLL. Enjoying them both quite a bit. Uncharted got off to a rough start for me with its typical all-over-the-place fall damage, but I really like how they played with the formula and gave us something different. I could definitely get behind more series' experimenting in shorter, cheaper releases
ajapam
ajapam
Jill Sandwich

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 on Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:30 am

I started Super Lucky's Tale on Xbox One. It has some quirks that I find a bit annoying, but seems like a fairly solid platformer. The characters feel like the kind you'd find in an early 3D platformer. While that isn't completely a compliment, there is a certain charm to them.

I'm also playing Animal Crossing: Pocket Camp. I like this series, so it should be fun on the phone and it works fine with touch controls. Excited to talk to my mom about it as we used to share towns on the old games.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher on Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:22 pm

I got Doom on Switch and The Evil Within 2 for my birthday. Been busy but tried some of Doom and it's amazing playing this game on a handheld. Helps that it's such a fun game to replay too, having a blast with it.

Goddess of the Seal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube on Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:04 pm

I finished the main story in The Witcher 3 and managed to get the bad ending. But you know, once I digested it and thought of what I'd done to get there I must say it felt earned and was kind of profound in a way. I'm glad I got it! Someday I will replay the main story but not soon.

Now on to the two expansions! I've really, really enjoyed this game. I think the only thing I would change is the way the Witcher investigations work as they are the only (minor) thorn in an otherwise excellent experience.

Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber on Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:38 am

Just started up Mafia 3. I've been itching for a GTA kind of game, and I've always wanted this but didn't want to pay $60 for it. Only played about 2 hours but it seems pretty good. I like the more serious tone of the story as opposed to the sometimes goofiness of GTA V. Not sure how they do it as the game progresses, but the story is kind of told through interviews of people that know the character you play as, and when they get to certain parts it'll cut to what happened in a certain mission. Gives it more of a dramatic feel.

It's been a while since I played GTA V, but from what I remember the gun combat in that game gets the nod, but I like the driving mechanics of this game more. It has an arcadey-sim feel that the older GTA games used to have.

Like I said above, I'm only 2 hours in but I'm enjoying it so far.

Last of the Mudokons

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ajapam on Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:19 pm

Did they fix the glitches? Genuinely curious because I like mafia stuff but I heard the game was super buggy at launch
ajapam
ajapam
Jill Sandwich

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber on Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:00 am

I never read about any glitches, so I'm not really sure which ones I'm supposed to be looking for. The only thing that I have noticed is that the hit detection is very poor. There's a lot of times that the enemy just doesn't react when I hit them, like bullets don't hurt or something. Not sure if that's a glitch or just poor game design. I'm hoping to play more today so I'll look for some.

Last of the Mudokons

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 on Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:22 am

I'm still working on Assassin's Creed: Origins and Cat Quest. Enjoy both, but they aren't games that have me frothing at the mouth to play more I guess. I just got Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time for DS. Only played a bit last night before getting tired, but I look forward to playing more after being so enamored with Superstar Saga.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber on Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:24 am

That’s the thing about RPGs in my opinion, if you’re tired it is game over. Not even my favorite game in the world can keep me awake if I’m out of it.

How much is GameFly? Seems like a cool service.

Last of the Mudokons

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher on Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:26 pm

Just beat The Evil Within 2. This might be my favorite survival horror game. Controls similarly to TLOU, but enemies are much tougher, a single one is often more than enough to kill you if you aren't careful and good luck if more than that are after you. But this game freaked me the fuck out the whole way. One enemy in particular would show up out of nowhere and makes you defenseless against them while singing this creepy jingle and just kind of stumbling around. Speaking as someone who hated the first game, I'd definitely recommend checking this one out.

Goddess of the Seal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube on Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:24 pm

You didn't lead me astray with The Witcher, so I'll add this one to my last to play 5 years later!

Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next