Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» The Games You Played in November 2017
by BretBaber Yesterday at 10:19 am

» Now Playing
by TripOpt55 Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:10 pm

» Wanna Play Some Old School PS1 Role Playing Games?
by Krubixcube Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:17 pm

» Gaming Chat Thread
by Krubixcube Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:46 pm

December 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

General TV Show Discussion

Page 19 of 21 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20, 21  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: General TV Show Discussion

Post by volvocrusher on Wed Dec 09, 2015 3:13 am

I felt like an adult this year on my birthday. Couldn't eat half as much as I did the year before, was worried about what I was ordering, and was happy to get socks and underwear. But on the plus side a bunch of girls asked me to dance shirtless for them so I think I got sexier too.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 on Sun Dec 13, 2015 7:37 pm

Caught up on Gotham this past week. It is pretty bonkers this season and generally improved over the first. I even like Barb this year who I absolutely loathed in Season 1.

Catching up on Fargo too and while I wasn't too hooked on S2 at first, it has really grown on me as the season rolled on. Some really tense moments and the last ep I watched (Ep 6 I think) was excellent. Going to try and catch up in time for the finale.
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

View user profile http://thetripleoption.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 on Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:34 pm

Been rewatching a number of classic X-Files episodes in anticipation of the new season. It really holds up well. I have been mostly sticking to the monster of the week ones and I am super impressed with how much variety they have. Sci-fi and supernatural concepts. Some really comedic episodes. Some really clever structures. Just great stuff. Can't wait for the new season.
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher on Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:45 pm

Checked out Uncle Grandpa. It's the stupidest thing I've ever seen but it goes so all out with how stupid it is that I can't help but have fun. Feels a lot like Aqua Teen Hunger Force for kids.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Motinator on Sat Jan 30, 2016 1:55 am

Tried watching Rick and Morty because I know you guys would recommend it. Favourite show on TV right now! Only saw it because we have a free preview of Cartoon Network. My mum usually hates these kinds of shows, but even she's gotten caught laughing out loud. Just wish it was on more than once a week.
Motinator
Has a Bad Case of Headcrabs

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher on Tue Feb 16, 2016 4:13 am

Cartoon Network is making new Bugs Bunny cartoons called Wabbit so I checked it out. It was okay. It got the goofy ideas and slapstick right, but something felt a bit off. Maybe it was the different character models, the way they're writing Bugs, or how it focuses on him instead of giving a bunch of different cartoons but there's still potential here. I hope it gets better, I'd love some good new Looney Toons.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 on Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:09 am

A lot of shows I expected to like have been great this year, but one that has really surprised me has been American Crime (the ABC show not to be confused with the one about OJ on FX). I thought the first season was alright, but it has been excellent so far this year. Basically focuses on the fallout after a teenage boy at a prestigious private school is raped. It is super heavy material obviously, but handled very well. Deals with all kinds of things in relation to the crime like race, class, sexuality, etc. It is an anthology show ala True Detective, so a new story every year. It reuses a lot of the same cast as Season 1 in new roles. I thought this might be weird, but it doesn't bug me at all and it is good to have such talented performers back including one of my favorites in Regina King. I think being on a broadcast network has hurt the show a bit just from a buzz standpoint. If it was on AMC or Netflix or something like that I imagine it would be getting more love.
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 on Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:45 am

New season of The X-Files was a mixed bag. Two great episodes, some okay ones and at least one that was a mess. It felt like they tried to cram too much into these six episodes. Still I enjoyed having it back. The ratings indicate there will be another season. I hope they get a bit more room to work. Maybe like 10 episodes? And hopefully not too many Carter-written eps. Perhaps even get Gilligan to write one next time. That'd be sweet.
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher on Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:11 am

You know what would be a good top 5? Series you want revived. Especially since those seem to be really popular nowadays

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 on Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:37 am

Yeah that would be good. I'm going to go ahead and throw that thread up.
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 on Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:48 am

Best new show so far for me in 2016 has been Hap and Leonard. Stars Omar from The Wire and Marc Antony from Rome as an odd couple of best friends who get into a caper of sorts. Very entertaining so far with a great sense of humor.
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMatt on Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:44 pm

I checked out the pilot episode of The Detour on TBS. I actually thought it was pretty funny. Its obviously going for a Vacation vibe but its pretty dark humor for a TBS show. The cast is really good too, especially the two kid actors. Looking forward to seeing more.

Cigar-chomping Dirty Old Man

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 on Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:01 am

Kimmy Schmidt and Orphan Black are back. Also excited for Game of Thrones, Veep and Silicon Valley in the next couple of weeks.
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMatt on Mon May 09, 2016 11:01 pm

Anyone on here watch Fear the Walking Dead? It's having a really strong second season. I feel like it does a much better job developing its secondary characters than the main show. Also there are barely any zombies, which makes all the tension way more interesting.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher on Mon May 09, 2016 11:29 pm

I haven't been watching any of the WD shows. Been loving season 3 of Silicon Valley though. Last episode had me dying laughing at the end, so freaking good.
I've also been watching The League every now and then. Really love that show, especially with how every plot thread comes together in a very Seinfeld-esque way. Also Taco is my hero.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 on Wed May 11, 2016 7:09 pm

I watch Fear the Walking Dead. The last episode I watched was probably the best ep so far. It was the one with the flashbacks of Strand. I'm definitely liking it more than Season 1, but still not all that much I guess.

If you guys want we could make a Silicon Valley and FTWD. Might only be a couple of us chatting about it though I think Bret watches Silicon Valley. Maybe he'd chime in.
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMatt on Wed May 11, 2016 10:22 pm

I've been meaning to check out Silicon Valley, but I have a hard enough time just getting through the shows I already have recorded on my DVR week to week.

Trip have you been watching this season of Survivor? I know you're a fan. My fiance got me watching it. I haven't really watched since the very first season... but is the whole cast always this stupid? It seems like this group can be swayed by the most illogical reasoning without thinking. Its entertaining, but its driving me nuts. I'll see more sound strategy in the new season of The Challenge on MTV - which I'm honestly super pumped that its back. That's by far my favorite dumb reality show. Its like Global Guts with binge drinking.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 on Thu May 12, 2016 7:33 pm

I've been watching it, but haven't seen this week's ep yet. I wouldn't say I'm a fan of Survivor either... haha, but I watch it sometimes if someone talks me into it (my parents or cousin usually). I just find all the people talking kind of annoying. I think the players' stupidity is kind of amplified by the situation (lack of food, stuck with people they don't know, the general backstabbing nature of the game making them paranoid) and editing (there is a bunch of stuff that may be influencing their decisions that we just don't see, like the Tribal Councils are way longer). I do love the challenges and this season has had some really hilarious Tribal Councils just because someone puts their foot in their mouth or something. I don't really find I have anyone to root for this year though.
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber on Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:02 pm

Got HBO today so I'll be catching up on Game of Thrones and Silicon Valley and Girls (not that anyone watches Girls, but I love it). Save some cash doing it this way and you don't have to wait as long for the episodes!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher on Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:12 pm

For anyone with Hulu Gravity Falls is now on there in its entirety. I highly recommend it, one of the best cartoons I've seen. Also Kristen Schaal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 on Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:44 pm

Hadn't really been watching stuff outside of the HBO shows on Sunday. Finally made a dent in my DVR this weekend. Finished off the final season of Person of Interest. The series finale was one of the better ones I have seen. Would probably be in my top five drama series finales. Very satisfying. Also started up Orange is the New Black Season 4. Still have parts of The Americans and American Crime Story to finish on the DVR. There is other stuff on there too, but I'm seriously thinking of just throwing in the towel on those (like Legends of Tomorrow and Quantico).
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by ajapam on Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:50 pm

I've been watching a show called Serie Noire. It's about 2 guys writing a crime show who get involved with criminals  to do research after their first season is panned. It's pretty hilarious stuff. The soundtrack is done by the same guy as Utopia, which I still have to find a way to finish...

ajapam
Jill Sandwich

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher on Sat Jul 09, 2016 7:14 pm

Called it quits on The League before finishing season 7. For those curious it was
Spoiler:
that opening gag where Ruxon finds out his wife died. I don't want to see Ruxon dealing with anything that makes him seem like a relateable human being or a dumb fake out with that.

But overall, I really liked the first six seasons. Did a great job of nailing what shit talking with your friends is like and loved how all the plots would intersect at the end, especially when Taco got involved.

Though all of my family and friends who watch that show say I remind them of Andre. I'm not sure how to process that.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 on Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:14 pm

Finished up Penny Dreadful this week. A pretty weird way to end the series. Not many of the character conclusions felt good at all. Most baffling of all is how little Eva Green was in the final couple episodes. Her acting is the best part of the show so cutting her out at the end was just so odd. Oh well. Show was never great for me, but I enjoyed the acting, setting and seeing how they worked in some of those characters into the show.

Now I'm working on this season of The Americans which is has been great. This show has some of the most oddly uncomfortable scenes I've ever seen. They really come in some unexpected forms.
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMatt on Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:49 pm

I know Trip watches Mr. Robot, don't know if there's anyone else... but I thought the two part premier from last night was really interesting but off the deep end, dark. It was a really uncomfortable hour + of TV but I couldn't look away. I don't want to spoil anything, but its such a heavy and complex show I feel like I need to talk about it! What'd you think of it, Trip?

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 on Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:37 am

I'll make a thread up for it in case you feel like throwing a comment up each week. I think ajapam might watch too, but perhaps not weekly.
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube on Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:53 am

Don't know if there are any American Gods book fans out there, but what'd you guys think of the teaser trailer?

My one thought...it's a shame it's on Starz, because it looks a little cheap compared to HBO or AMC. But other than that I'm excited!

Steam: Krubixcube         3DS Friend Code: 1950-9553-1102         PSN:KrubixCube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 on Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:13 pm

I think it looked really cool. The cast is totally insane. While you may end up being right about the budget, Starz has been making some really good shows lately. This seems like such a great fit for Fuller too. Also my friend is working on this which is pretty neat.

I do wonder if this trailer would be much of a selling point for the show for non-readers of the book. The few people I talked to who had not read it, this didn't seem to do much for them besides seeing the names/actors involved.
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube on Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:57 pm

Oh, the cast is INSANE. It's got some of my favorite people in it!

Steam: Krubixcube         3DS Friend Code: 1950-9553-1102         PSN:KrubixCube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 on Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:30 am

I watched Stranger Things on Netflix. This was great. A sort of throwback to 80s fiction. Spielberg and Stephen King seem to be the comparisons people use the most. I really love how tightly constructed it is. Only eight episodes and it feels perfectly paced. And I love how all the storylines and different character groups converge in the last few episodes. It is very satisfying. The music and atmosphere is also fantastic.

I signed up for a month of Hulu to try out some of their shows. First on my list was Casual. I enjoyed it. It is sort of a light dramedy, though one that makes me laugh. I guess it is about dating (usually casually hence the name) but also about the core three characters (a divorcee, her brother and her daughter) and their sort of weird relationships with each other. It isn't really mining any important subject matter, but I still liked it. The cast is great including some really good guest stars.
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 19 of 21 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20, 21  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top