June 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

General TV Show Discussion

Page 2 of 21 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11 ... 21  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: General TV Show Discussion

Post by TripOpt55 on Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:21 am

I want to squeeze in a rewatch of GoT if I can as well, but I want to finish the third book first.

You know what show I'm pretty much fed up with and just going through the motions on, How I Met Your Mother. I'm too far in to give up now, but it is just so forgettable now. I never used to get frustrated with the lack of momentum with the Mother plot, but now I do because it isn't funny enough to distract me from it.
TripOpt55
Owns the World's Largest Platinum Relic Collection

View user profile http://thetripleoption.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher on Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:23 am

That's how I am with The Office. At least that has an end in sight though and I can be free soon.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber on Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:10 am

HIMYM is definitely not as good as it used to be. They've also made Barney into a mockery. Having said that though, I very much enjoyed the last episode, and really liked Weekend at Barney's. And then when Marshall dropped all of those skittles I laughed out loud hard, rewound, and laughed even more. Probably one of the funniest things I had seen on television in a while.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Bannen on Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:19 am

My wife is a HIMYM fan, but every time we watch it, I keep wondering when he's going to meet their mother. I'm a casual observer, but I have this feeling that the reveal is going to be underwhelming.

Barney is pretty funny though.
Bannen
Asks for the "Guile" at the Barbershop

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by b.b.hagen on Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:06 pm

volvocrusher wrote:That's how I am with The Office. At least that has an end in sight though and I can be free soon.

I abandoned The Office after Season 4. It got too repetitive for me. Season 1 and 2 were amazing and then it felt like it was the same jokes/storyline over and over.
b.b.hagen
Sand Thrower

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Bannen on Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:13 pm

Once Michael left, so did I. They have great supporting characters, but Steve Carell was the anchor.
Bannen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by b.b.hagen on Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:14 pm

And didn't Dwight become manager? Come on now.
b.b.hagen
Sand Thrower

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Bannen on Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:15 pm

Andy did. Though I'm sure Dwight did for an episode full of hijinx.
Bannen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by BretBaber on Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:43 pm

You know what makes it hard to get into Game of Thrones? The fact that every would be villain makes you want to kill yourself because you hate them so much. Guess that's a good thing, but every single time Joffrey or his bitch of a mom opens their mouth I hate living life.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nephilimi on Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:13 am

I can't wait for Game of Thrones.

I'm rewatching the Wire with my wife and that show is still incredible. Just hitting Season 3 now and nothing on TV comes close.

No one has been talking about Community so I assume everyone is having the same reaction as me...

Nephilimi
Currently Looking Through Their Ascot Closet

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher on Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:21 am

Community just hasn't done anything noteworthy this season. It's like when EA meddles a lot in a game: There's still something there for the people who really love it, but none of that spark it had before. It just exists to pass the time without offending you in any way.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMatt on Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:48 am

How is a showrunner leaving anything like EA meddling with a game? Community isn't as good as previous seasons, because the person who was in charge of every aspect of the show is no longer there. What it is now is something totally different, because it is being run by different people. Some of the writers from the Harmon days are still there, but its naturally going to be a different show than seasons 1-3. It's more like when Larry David stopped writing for Seinfeld for a few seasons.

Cigar-chomping Dirty Old Man

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber on Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:08 pm

You definitely get a different vibe when Mr. David left, but at least it was still super funny. I always laugh at Seinfeld. Always.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMatt on Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:03 pm

Well I still think Community is funny. It's just noticeably different. Just like Seinfeld without David. I do agree the dropoff in quality is more drastic with Community than with Seinfeld...but I think that's mainly because Seinfeld is a stronger show.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber on Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:11 pm

I think I might prefer the seasons where Larry David was gone, which is saying something since I love Larry David. The show was more goofy, and you get awesome plot lines like George needing to take a picture of a shirtless Kruger which is one of my favorite episodes.

I'm not a watcher of Community though so I couldn't weigh in on the differences.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher on Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:16 pm

I thought Seinfeld was still funny the whole way too. The way it got goofier is what I wish Community did when Hartmon left. Season 4 isn't bad, it's just that if it I wasn't so attached to the characters, I'd probably stop watching. Can't really say the same for later Seinfeld.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMatt on Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:34 pm

Well I never said Seinfeld was worse...I prefer the Larry David ones, but that's just me. But regardless of your preference, it is pretty noticeable he isn't around for the few seasons he took off. Like you said, Bret, it allowed them to try new things and they handled the change a hell of a lot better than Community has been. Like you said Greenman, Season 4 of Community is focusing on the wrong things. Its going too far out of its way to be weird just for the sake of being weird.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Bannen on Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:11 pm

TheMatt wrote:Well I still think Community is funny. It's just noticeably different. Just like Seinfeld without David. I do agree the dropoff in quality is more drastic with Community than with Seinfeld...but I think that's mainly because Seinfeld is a stronger show.
I think the most telling line of dialogue that sums up this season of Community is the Halloween one, when Abed says to himself "I remember when this show used to be about a community college". The show seems really scattered now.

Abed is always a light in the harbor of Truth.
Bannen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMatt on Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:20 pm

There was the one interview with Dan Harmon that I read a few years ago where he said when he initially wrote the show, he felt like he connected with Jeff more than any other character... but a few episodes in he realized he was really more like Abed. If you know anything about Dan Harmon it makes so much sense...

But that's what makes this season such a bummer. You can tell they are trying so hard to get it right... but its just not there. Only a handful of episodes left and Community will ride off into the sunset... which I'm totally fine with, because I have little to no interest in seeing these characters in their post-Greendale lives.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber on Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:49 pm

I remember reading somewhere that when Larry left "It was like dad left and we could do whatever we wanted." I'm glad dad left for a while.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 on Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:47 pm

Larry left for 8 and 9 right? 3-7 is definitely the show at its best, but 8 and 9 were a lot of fun too. Better than 1 and 2 for sure.

I'm convinced if Harmon was putting out these episodes, most fans would just eat them up (not you guys, you are a smart bunch). I have only watched the first two Community episodes of S4, but I stand by the fact that every season had episodes of that caliber. It's just a matter of whether some will roll around that I love. That is how Community episodes usually go with me.
TripOpt55

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMatt on Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:57 pm

This season of Community isn't really a better or worse thing for me. It is what it is. Its not that these episodes are bad. They are perfectly fine... its just not the same show I'm used to seeing.

I'm kind of curious what someone would think of season 4 of Community if they didn't know anything about Dan Harmon. To me, it has felt off. Like everything looks right, but it feels wrong. I think sometimes I'm being too critical of it, just because I'm anticipating the worst. So far what I have noticed is there are laughs to be had, but it has lost a lot of its charm from the first three seasons.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by b.b.hagen on Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:28 pm

pspiddy wrote:I'm probably the only person in the world who isn't interested in GoT. My wife is reading the books and then watching the series. She finds it very compelling. I don't dislike it; I just can't get into it. I thought I'd dig it since I like Star Trek DS9.

But then again, I watch Fox News and MSNBC just for the laughs. So my taste is probably suspect.

You're not the only person. I have zero interest in Game of Thrones. I find almost anything with dragons, elves, wizards or hobbits horribly boring/lame. I wanted to love Skyrim so much but all I could think about was how awesome it would've been if I was playing Fallout 4.
b.b.hagen
Sand Thrower

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 on Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:56 pm

I've been watching American Horror Story on Netflix. It's like the weirdest show ever. I don't even think I like it, but I keep watching it.
TripOpt55

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber on Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:39 am

American Horror Story is good but bad at the same time. The one thing I hate is how every episode ends in grief, misery, and pain for these characters. Also, I was really annoyed how the one girl's boyfriend looked like a Kurt Cobain rip off.

My favorite character was the retarded girl. I like when the mom puts her in the closet with mirrors and says "Take a good long look at yourself." She turns around in horror looking at herself. Probably really wrong of me, but it made me laugh a lot.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by avidacridjam on Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:47 am

This week's episode of Justified is the season's best so far. The fourth season has felt like the most uneven in the series; you'd get an episode that focuses on the main storyline and then an episode that strays of and sets up subplots that you fear won't pay off or feels like padding. We're coming near the end so I'm hoping there are many payoffs. Still, an uneven episode of Justified is still entertaining.

avidacridjam
Beary Bad Joker

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber on Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:01 pm

Yesterday I watched bitch Joffrey attack Aria and her friend and her dog bit his ass and he whined like a little cunt. God I hate him and his mother. Almost to the point where I don't want to watch the show because I hate them so much. Does anyone else hate them the way I do?

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by avidacridjam on Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:38 pm

Oh, I find Joffrey completely repulsive but consider his wreck of a mother (who knows what wisdom Robert Baratheon gave him, if any). It's kinda infuriating to see those two get away with so much shit, yes, but.....and I can't say anything else.

avidacridjam
Beary Bad Joker

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 on Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:00 pm

Everyone hates them, but that is kind of the point of them.
TripOpt55

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 21 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11 ... 21  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top