November 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

General TV Show Discussion

Page 5 of 21 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13 ... 21  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: General TV Show Discussion

Post by ajapam on Sat May 04, 2013 7:00 pm

The one written by Jim Rash was amazing. The last one was good enough but a step down

ajapam
Jill Sandwich

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 on Sun May 05, 2013 1:25 am

Watched the Freaky Friday one earlier and that was great. I'll try and check out the next one soon.
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

View user profile http://thetripleoption.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher on Sun May 05, 2013 1:33 am

I love how the whole episode had you guessing whether this really was some weird thing Troy and Abed were doing or they actually did switch bodies.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 on Tue May 07, 2013 6:20 pm

The Origins story one was great too. Honestly I don't feel like this season is much worse than the others now.
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher on Mon May 27, 2013 12:13 am

Just finished Gob's first episode in season 4 of AD. Probably my favorite so far with Tobias at a very close second. The rest have been good, but not quite up to par with the older ones. Probably because of the format, Michael, George, and Lindsay aren't as funny when they get all the focus while Gob and Tobias are perfect for it.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ajapam on Mon May 27, 2013 12:27 am

The problem is definitely the format. I'm hoping for another typical season after this one, because the writing is there. The only advantage here is getting to see how things tie together.

ajapam
Jill Sandwich

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 on Mon May 27, 2013 1:52 am

I watched the first five and I was going to say the same thing. The format while I understand why they went for it seems like a net negative. Some of these characters just aren't built for this. Honestly few shows would work this way. It feels like you'd always end up with "weak" episodes. Was hoping to get to a GOB ep (he's my favorite character), but decided to stop for the night. There has been a real lack of GOB so far. And it is a bummer. Also hoping if they do another season they can get everyone together for a more typically structured season. I've enjoyed what I've watched so far of this season though.
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by TripOpt55 on Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:48 pm

I started watching Alias. Really fun so far.

I finished AD Season 4. If anyone wants a thread to discuss which episodes were best. Where it went wrong. Any hidden little things you caught, I'd be up for one.
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMatt on Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:35 am

Arrested Development Season 4 is a lot of things. I guess to start I'll say I really enjoyed it and I'm glad it came back. Some episodes were much stronger than others and all of them were very bloated, both because of the format and the length of each episode. My favorite episode was probably Maeby's. I thought it felt the most like classic AD.

Speaking of the way the show feels... season four was extremely dark. I also thought it was a little hand-holdy with some of the jokes from the original series. I get they want to catch people up who might not have watched the show in years... but a lot of that kind of stuff could have been cut. I also felt the story was unresolved... but that's totally fine if we're going to get more episodes or a movie. I guess I'll just stop now and let people respond.

Cigar-chomping Dirty Old Man

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 on Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:02 am

I think one of the strengths of the show is the ensemble cast, so even if we ignore the fact that Lindsay and George Sr. really aren't built to carry an episode like they were asked, even the characters that could's episodes suffered a bit I think just from not having the characters interact with each other as much. And I understand getting everyone together was an issue, but I can't ignore the problems it caused.

And I'd agree about the bloat. I remember Hurwitz saying how he didn't have to go for any set time limit like on network. And you get these 35 minute episodes that lacked the tightness of earlier seasons.

And yeah I definitely enjoyed it. I find Getaway very catchy! Loved the "Same" jokes too. Not sure which my favorite episode was. I'm going to think on it some more.
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by ajapam on Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:37 am

One thing I kind of hated about the writing in this season is that some jokes really shouldn't have been brought back. For example, I don't think there was any reason to show Emmett Richter. There were some new jokes that fell flat, too. Lindsay trying to throw her money at that guy and the reference to that in the Tobias episode were both cringeworthy. They could pass as new simpsons jokes

That's just the bad stuff, though. Overall I enjoyed it quite a bit and I thought the format made for some pretty interesting stuff despite it's obvious shortcomings. George Sr episodes were my least favorite

ajapam
Jill Sandwich

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube on Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:49 am

Arrested Development so far (watched the first 5 of Season 4) is really not quite there. The second half of the first episode hit the stride, but the lightning quick pace of the jokes just isn't there. Not to mention that despite the fact that they're not on a cable network the jokes feel so much safer. I was hoping for so many more blatant gay jokes with Tobias etc but it all feels without teeth. I'm amused but very few laugh out loud moments.

Unrelated: FINALLY started up The Sopranos again. Amazing show that. Game of Thrones can make you love or hate certain characters but The Sopranos is so good for making you love them one minute and hating them the next but still being compelling either way. Good stuff.

Steam: Krubixcube         3DS Friend Code: 1950-9553-1102         PSN:KrubixCube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 on Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:46 am

I finished the first Season of New Girl which I really enjoyed. Jess is blah. Schmidt and Nick are fantastic. Winston is somewhere in between. Cece is so hot that I don't even mind that she has bangs. I think it falls a little flat when it tries to hit emotional beats (which it admittedly doesn't try to do often), but it made me laugh a lot. I'm not actually a big laugher when I watch TV shows and while it isn't the best indicator of how good a comedy is, it is a good sign. Like for instance for whatever reason, I laughed really hard at this one part where they were trying to fix the garbage disposal the way they do and all three guys sort of latched on to help.

I also finished Season 2 of Alias. Somewhere around halfway through the season they started doing the dumbest thing. Like I hated it. And yet other parts of the show might be better than before. It's a weird mix of frustration and joy. The cliffhanger was pretty cool and intrigued me more than I thought it would (my friend was telling me it would piss me off maybe... or inferring that at least).

I also just watched the first episode of Orange is the New Black which seemed really good.
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Rainjar on Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:34 pm

BREAKING BAD SEASON 5 PART 2 NEEDS TO HURRY UP.

Just finished part 1. Dis show is 10/10. Everything about it is just fantastic, so well paced, so well written, the characters are fantastic and gahhh everything is just amazing. I've gotten so many people to watch it including my mother, aunt, and uncle and they all love it as well.

Rainjar
Volgin's Hand on my Crotch

View user profile http://myanimelist.net/profile/Rainjar

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube on Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:36 am

Finished enough of the Arrested Development season to say conclusively that I don't really like it. People can talk all they want about hte clever structure etc but it just doesn't feel like Arrested Development anymore. The jokes weren't there, and when they were they were few and far between. That show was RAPID fire when it was on and this was a pale shadow of what it was before.

Steam: Krubixcube         3DS Friend Code: 1950-9553-1102         PSN:KrubixCube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube on Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:21 am

Been watching The Sopranos still (season 5) and man...I forgot how physically angry Janus makes me. She's horrible! Brilliant performance (kind of like Geofrey...if I'm spelling that right), but god damn.

Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher on Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:49 am

Krubixcube wrote:Finished enough of the Arrested Development season to say conclusively that I don't really like it. People can talk all they want about hte clever structure etc but it just doesn't feel like Arrested Development anymore. The jokes weren't there, and when they were they were few and far between. That show was RAPID fire when it was on and this was a pale shadow of what it was before.
Okay, just saying, once you finish all of them and know the full context, the new season lends itself really well to rewatching it. I'm enjoying most episodes more a second time. At least get to Maeby's episode, so many hilarious reveals there.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube on Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:57 am

I do plan on finishing it, but again, it just doesn't feel like Arrested Development. And I don't feel I should have to finish hours and hours worth of content to get any enjoyment out of what I'm watching now if that makes sense.

It's weak writing, comedy should stand on its own. Yeah, I might finish it and think "oh that's kind of cool" but what I watched Arrested Development for was the laughs, which I'm not laughing. Most of the time a semi-funny joke has come up I can't help myself from just wanting to rewatch the show when it was truly funny.

Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher on Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:05 am

Eh, I still think it's legitimately funny. I really only thought two, maybe three episodes were weak while most (namely the Tobias and Gob ones) had me laughing the whole time, not just at a good joke, but really funny scenarios I like in AD. I can see what you mean on that point, but don't think it's weak writing. Flawed maybe, but with how clever everything comes together, it's not that bad.

I still understand it though, reason why I shelved Ni No Kuni is because I was 8 hours in and still not having fun.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube on Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:22 am

The jokes fell flat, in my personal opinion. A lot of Tobias' and Job's humor was in how they played off of other people and the whole thing feels empty when they don't have the rest of the cast to play off of. Writing isn't nearly up to par with the rest of the series, not by a long shot.

I guess I think of it like this. If we weren't riding the nostalgia wave, and this was the first time you'd seen the show, would you keep watching? Personally, I wouldn't.

Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber on Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:18 am

I'm glad pspdiddy and Krubix were watching my two favorite shows ever (Buffy and Sopranos).

I'm glad you watched some Buffy, but if you give up just because the first episode is bad (which it is, suffers the whole first season trying too hard haven't found their feet yet) then I'll be sad inside. Whenever I get people to watch the show, I have them skip around on season 1 for the overall story episodes so they can not watch the fillers.

Janice is annoying Krubix. Are you watching from the beginning or did you must pick up season 5? She's a fucking mooch. One thing I love about that show is how stupid and infantile they depict old people to be. Since I have to work with them and practically wipe their ass everyday it is something that I really appreciate. When I tell people about Sopranos, I usually always tell them how funny the show is.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber on Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:18 am

Also, it's sad that we lost James Gandolfini.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube on Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:45 am

I marathoned seasons 1-4 while I was in Uni and then took a nearly 2 year hiatus so I'm picking it up again now and loving it all over again.

Yeah it's how infantile they can be that makes me love them one episode and despise them another which is something no other show has made me do so profoundly.

Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber on Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:15 pm

I don't know how you could stop watching it for that long. Plus, starting on season 5 after so long is really hard to do because they introduce so many new characters. I've always said Buffy is my favorite show ever, but I'm no fool, Sopranos is the best show ever.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher on Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:36 pm

Yes I would have kept watching actually. Game of Thrones bored me for four hours before I quit watching and in that time frame I was laughing my ass off with AD.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ajapam on Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:00 pm

I get what you mean, TWolf. Janice is the only character I've hated so much that she actually made me angry in real life. I also agree on the depiction of old people. Some are just plain terrible, stupid people, and The Sopranos wasn't afraid to show that. Junior was still awesome, though

ajapam
Jill Sandwich

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Motinator on Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:01 am

my roommates and I watched the first season and a bit of the second of Buffy. I want to go back to it sometime. One of those roommates also played Spike in our university's play of Once More With Feeling so he got us to watch that episode beforehand. Pretty awesome
Motinator
Has a Bad Case of Headcrabs

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 21 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13 ... 21  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top