by TripOpt55 Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:18 pm

» What have you been listening to?
by TripOpt55 Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:23 pm

» The E3 2017 Discussion Thread
by volvocrusher Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:09 am

June 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

First Half of 2016 Questionnaire (GotY So Far and other stuff)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

First Half of 2016 Questionnaire (GotY So Far and other stuff)

Post by TripOpt55 on Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:16 am

Six months into 2016, so it is about time we do one of these. Just copied the one from last year:

What is your Game of the Year So Far and why? Feel free to make a list if you have played enough games to do so or mention a favorite handheld and downloadable game if you want.

What was the biggest disappointment for you in gaming this year? It could be a game, a part of a game, an announcement and so on.

What is the best game you played for the first time this year that released in a previous year and why?

What are your top five most anticipated games for the rest of 2016?

What was your favorite new movie from this year?

What was your favorite new (music) album from this year? What about favorite song?

What was your favorite TV show that aired this year so far? What about favorite episode?

Anything else from this year so far you want to mention?

Have at it!
TripOpt55
Owns the World's Largest Platinum Relic Collection

View user profile http://thetripleoption.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: First Half of 2016 Questionnaire (GotY So Far and other stuff)

Post by BretBaber on Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:38 am

What is your Game of the Year So Far and why? Feel free to make a list if you have played enough games to do so or mention a favorite handheld and downloadable game if you want.

1. Uncharted 4 - Awesome from beginning to end. Fun multiplayer keeps me playing even after beating the game.
2. Ratchet and Clank - Just pure fun to play.
3. Severed - Drinkbox puts out another classic.

What was the biggest disappointment for you in gaming this year? It could be a game, a part of a game, an announcement and so on.

What is the best game you played for the first time this year that released in a previous year and why?

Rogue Galaxy, the old PS2 game. Level-5 has just consistently been the new Square for me, their games rarely disappoint.

I can never remember release dates so I can't contribute to this.

Finding Dory, but I don't watch a lot of movies like I used to which is sad.

What was your favorite new (music) album from this year? What about favorite song?

Radiohead's A Moon Shaped Pool. Song would be Glass Eyes.

What was your favorite TV show that aired this year so far? What about favorite episode?

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 on Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:07 pm

Uncharted 4. One of my all-time favorites. I can't get enough of this game. Excellent single-player mode that wraps up these characters' story perfectly. Multiplayer is a little rough around the edges, but the core mechanics are so good I keep coming back to it. Awesome game.

I definitely see Mirror's Edge, Doom and Ratchet being on my year-end top ten list too. Been a really good half-year for gaming.

Between Nintendo's handling of the Wii U and the Scorpio/Neo stuff, I guess I'm just disappointed in the way things went/are going for the consoles this gen. This year really drove these points home.

Haven't played a ton of older games so far this year. The Witcher 3: Hearts of Stone expansion which released last year and I only got around to this year was great though. The main questline for the DLC is as good as anything in the main game. Cool story with improved combat too.

1. The Last Guardian: Can I finally play this? Sure. I'm in.
2. Gravity Rush 2: This is really like a 1a. Sony Japan bringing it in the back half.
3. ReCore: Not sure how this will come together, but I hope its good because it looks like my kind of game.
4. Gears of War 4: Looks safe but fun.
5. Watch Dogs 2: Should be fun, but I don't find myself particularly jazzed about it.

Might be forgetting something.

The Revenant (this wasn't released in my area until 2016 at least). I haven't watched too many though. The direction/action in this was really fun to watch. Great acting by DiCaprio and Hardy too.

I guess Tegan and Sara's Love You to Death for album and Chvrches' "Warning Call" for song. Love You to Death doesn't feel like an Album of the Year for me though, so I hope something I listen to later beats this.

I discovered this album Without My Enemy What Would I Do by Made in Heights this year and I absolutely love that. Definitely the best thing I've listened to for the first time this year.

iZombie for show. This just continues to be exactly my kind of show. The dialogue and characters are so amazing. I think its finale or the Game of Thrones finale would be my favorite episode.

American Crime is the show that surprised me the most. Big improvement over the first season. Tackles really difficult material in a very well-done manner. It is the show this year that probably deserves more attention/viewers. The underrated gem of this year I guess.

There was like a two month span of gaming that I think enjoyed more than the rest of this gen so far. And I didn't even play things like Overwatch, Quantum Break or the second Witcher expansion that released in that time. Crazy.

A lot of games I missed in general I want to get to at some point along with the above. Unravel, Firewatch, The Witness, and Inside were in my notes, but I am probably forgetting others.
TripOpt55
Owns the World's Largest Platinum Relic Collection

View user profile http://thetripleoption.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by SanAndreasX on Mon Jul 04, 2016 4:40 pm

TripOpt55 wrote:Six months into 2016, so it is about time we do one of these. Just copied the one from last year:

Game of the Year so far with regards to new games is Tokyo Mirage Sessions. If we're throwing in remasters, that'll be either Twilight Princess HD or Valkyria Chronicles Remastered.

The console stuff. Not so much with Nintendo, but I'm not exactly nuts about PlayStation and Xbox trying the incremental upgrade model employed by smartphones. I get that they want to try to keep the pace in technology with the way Apple and Samsung refresh their phones annually, but it still sucks. Consoles and PCs just don't get outdated quite the way that phones do, and a lot of that is because Apple and Samsung have succeeded in making $600 devices as disposable as diapers in the minds of consumers.

1. Final Fantasy XV
2. Tales of Berseria
3. Dragon Quest VII
4. Cosmic Star Heroine
5. I am Setsuna

Last movie I went to was Star Wars, and the last movie I went to before that was like two or three years ago. Smile

I'm getting into Bob's Burgers belatedly through Netflix. I'm not sure of a favorite episode yet.

Have at it!

PSN: Super_King666
Nintendo: SanAndreasX
Steam: San_Andreas_X
3DS Friend Code: 2294-5129-1033
SanAndreasX
Biotic God

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher on Mon Jul 04, 2016 6:12 pm

TripOpt55 wrote:Six months into 2016, so it is about time we do one of these. Just copied the one from last year:

1. Overwatch
2. Doom
3. Pokken Tournament

Best download: Poi
Best handheld: Mario and Luigi Paper Jam

Star Fox Zero's control scheme

Broforce because I have testosterone

1. Pokemon Sun/Moon- Can't wait to start a new journey with Rowlet
2. Ace Attorney 6- Finally bringing Maya Fey back
3. ReCore- Please be good
4. The Last Guardian- See above
5. South Park Fractured But Whole- Think this will get delayed but I'm excited for more Coon and Friends/PC Principal

Tough call with Captain America and Jungle Book but I'm gonna go with The Nice Guys

Silicon Valley/Whichever one had Jared's jacket

I expect everything that hasn't been delayed yet to come out 2017.

Have at it!

Also the episode with the water balloon fight would probably get my pick for best Bobs Burgers.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube on Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:05 am

What is your Game of the Year So Far and why? Feel free to make a list if you have played enough games to do so or mention a favorite handheld and downloadable game if you want. Probably DOOM off the top of my head. Haven't finished it yet but it's just been so much fun. It knows what it is and isn't afraid to be simple and stupid and fun.

What was the biggest disappointment for you in gaming this year? It could be a game, a part of a game, an announcement and so on. Probably all these "upgraded" consoles. In my mind it defeats the purpose of a console generation.

Bloodborne. Absolutely loved it and I really didn't think I would (tried Demon's Souls, didn't really like it) but I'm glad I followed recommendations. Also shout out to Hotline Miami. That game was fun.

1. Persona 5
2. The Last Guardian
3. I Am Setsuna
4. South Park: Fractured but Whole
5. ...?

The Witch - I say this one just because more than any other movie this year it stuck with me after I left the theater.

Can't say I really listened to much that was new this year...

I've only watched Game of Thrones but Battle of the Bastards was a highlight of TV all-time in my mind.

Have at it!

Steam: Krubixcube         3DS Friend Code: 1950-9553-1102         PSN:KrubixCube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by avidacridjam on Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:10 pm

1. Overwatch
2. Uncharted 4
3. Ratchet & Clank
4. Enter The Gungeon

And I'm sure when I get to play Doom, it'll be on the list.

The console upgrading from MS and Sony. To a degree, I've made my peace with this but I think it can set a dangerous precedent going forward towards game development and confusing the marketplace. And what if the boutique models and software don't perform as expected? Anyone can potentially get a raw deal from this. And why? Because of new televisions and another fucking format war.

HM: The botched release of Street Fighter V which is still fucked. As someone who supported SFIV and each of its expansions(?), I've been completely scared away from this. Should've just delayed the fucking thing till it was ready.

The Witcher 3.

1. No Man's Sky
2. Stardew Valley (for consoles!)
3. The Last Guardian
4. Titanfall 2
5. South Park: The Fractured but Whole

The Hateful Eight, since it wasn't released nationwide until first week of January. Tarantino's "people=shit" western is, among other things, a tough pill to swallow but if art can be a reflection of society, then we should take our medicine.

HM: The Nice Guys. Shane Black's return to buddy caper action should've been a successful event but Angry Birds and fucking "I'll wait for Netflix" assholes prevented that.  

Radiohead's A Moon Shaped Pool gets better the more and more I listen to it. HM: Deftones' Gore.

The OJ: Made In America miniseries is sheer brilliance.
The Game of Thrones finale, The Winds of Winter, was one of the best episodes of the series.

Justin Cronin's The City of Mirrors is a satisfying conclusion to his trilogy of horror/sci-fi novels (following The Passage & The Twelve): full of terror, humor, thrills, sadness and acceptance. Just read all of them.

Last edited by avidacridjam on Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:22 am; edited 1 time in total

avidacridjam
Beary Bad Joker

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber on Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:45 pm

You're just being a silly heart with that Radiohead album title, right?

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by avidacridjam on Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:23 am

Actually I got it wrong. Way wrong. Just being a dumbass. Corrected it.

avidacridjam
Beary Bad Joker

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top