Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» The Games You Played in November 2017
by BretBaber Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:19 am

» Now Playing
by TripOpt55 Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:10 pm

» Wanna Play Some Old School PS1 Role Playing Games?
by Krubixcube Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:17 pm

» Gaming Chat Thread
by Krubixcube Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:46 pm

December 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End Discussion *Spoilers inside*

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End Discussion *Spoilers inside*

Post by TripOpt55 on Tue May 10, 2016 12:23 am

Just throwing a thread up so people talk about it when they feel like it. Seems like most of us will be getting this game. Also, make sure to use spoiler tags where appropriate.

Last edited by TripOpt55 on Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

View user profile http://thetripleoption.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Uncharted 4: A Thief's End Discussion *Spoilers inside*

Post by BretBaber on Tue May 10, 2016 2:29 pm

Enjoying the game very much. I was lucky enough to not have to work today until 4 PM. Got the game at midnight and so far have put about 4 hours into it. Last I checked it said I was about 30% through the game. Playing on hard,m make it last a bit longer.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 on Wed May 11, 2016 6:59 pm

Loving this so far. The setup for the story is really great and I just love being back with these characters again. All the small details especially the references to past games are amazing too. My only reservation from what I played last night was there wasn't much in the way of great combat encounters, but the two chapters I played today (8/9) delivered and then some. Some really cool battles in there. Can't wait to play more.
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube on Wed May 11, 2016 7:25 pm

I should be getting it tomorrow so I'll throw up some impressions maybe tomorrow night.

Steam: Krubixcube         3DS Friend Code: 1950-9553-1102         PSN:KrubixCube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMatt on Wed May 11, 2016 10:23 pm

I just finished Chapter 4 so I probably haven't even scratched the surface on it... but I like what I've played so far. You can see the influences from The Last of Us right away though... and from what I've seen its for the best.

Cigar-chomping Dirty Old Man

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher on Thu May 12, 2016 1:35 am

So at chapter 8 and I really did not like the first five chapters to this game (save the one bit in 4- you know exactly what I'm talking about).
Spoiler:
The first one felt unnecessary as a whole since the second did a fine job of establishing what Nate and Sam's past. Granted the first chapter could have some significance later, but I don't like wondering what the point of the opening of something was this early into a game. 3 and 4 would have been alright to open it, but I want the game to start going somewhere by the third chapter.
2 and 5 meanwhile were not fun. Too bleak and depressing, felt like something from The Last of Us that doesn't work right in Uncharted. And I still think it's beyond stupid that they shot the prison guard then fled the area when they could have just gone after the treasure safely then ignored that guy completely. I mean, yeah, he's the villain and villains do evil stuff like that, but it's so stupid at the same time. And I'm not looking forward to more hand to hand combat after experiencing how awful the camera is in it.
That said, 6 and 7 give me hope it will start picking up now, they were much better and felt like Uncharted with some great improvments, primarily in the stealth department. And even though I stopped at 8, I saw that open landscape before calling it a night and am stoked to see what scenery the game will have later on.

Might be a little too negative, but these games usually have pretty great openings so to have it feel that botched did not sit well with me.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 on Thu May 12, 2016 7:22 pm

The game really takes off in Chapter 8 and onward from a gameplay standpoint. I feel like that is where you see a lot of the new additions and how far the gameplay has come. I just love what they have done to the core gameplay.

The vehicles are such a cool addition. While I am generally not a fan of random vehicle sections, I tend to like games that can integrate them fully into their gameplay. Things like Jak and Halo and even Arkham Knight. Uncharted 4 is definitely in that category. You can explore with them. Their are some light puzzles. They work them into action sequences. Just super cool.

I have always wanted larger areas to explore and they have delivered that and made it really fun to explore. This ties into the more in-depth storytelling with things like optional conversations and so on that they brought over from TLOU. And there is more emotion behind the story this time I think. Maybe it is just knowing this is the end for these characters that I love so much, but I feel this is packing a bigger punch emotionally.

Combat got a huge upgrade. I love the greater stealth options. I love the grapple. I love how you can lose enemies after a bit by moving around. I love the jump attacks. And I love the better level layouts for fights. Running around and playing this like an action movie has never been more fun. Even the platforming is at least improved. Oh it is a really meaty campaign.

Game is exceeding my expectations so far. It has definitely moved towards a more balanced action/adventure game as opposed to the greater action focus of the other titles. I'm digging it, but I'm curious how it will sit with people.
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube on Thu May 12, 2016 10:31 pm

I'm only on Chapter 3 so far and it's very impressive looking, engaging story but...I wanna PLAY! I feel like a kid who's being slapped by a parent "NO, it's not time for that yet. You need to watch another cutscene first!"

Steam: Krubixcube         3DS Friend Code: 1950-9553-1102         PSN:KrubixCube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 on Sun May 15, 2016 5:11 pm

I finished this a couple of days ago. I really loved it. I love the way they wrap up the story. It is so wonderful. I couldn't be happier with how things ended. It was weird playing a game and knowing it was (probably) the end of the line for these characters I love (my favorite cast of characters in gaming probably). It was a pretty emotional experience for me as a result. I'd love to talk more about this, but figure I will wait until everyone finished perhaps.

I am going to mull everything else a bit more as I'm not always seeing things with the clearest eyes when I first finish a game. Sometimes I get caught up in it. I still feel similarly about the improved mechanics to what I posted earlier. And as much as I like the expanded exploration with vehicles and extra story depth that comes through exploring, I wonder if it won't replay as well because of that. I think there should have been more combat encounters mixed into some sequences. The combat is better than it has ever been. I was expecting it to ramp up more towards the end than it did. My kill counts say this had less than any other Uncharted despite being significantly longer.

I've also dived into the multiplayer. Pretty good. The unlock system is kind of a hassle I guess. Otherwise pretty similar to what I thought of the beta. Disappointed with the lack of modes compared to 3. The lack of Team Objective, Three-team Deathmatch and any kind of co-op really hurts. I know co-op is coming, but it not being here at launch is a bummer. If anyone wants to play some, let me know.

I wonder what they will do for the single-player DLC? I have a bunch of ideas of where they could go with it. I'm really excited to see what direction they go.
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher on Sun May 15, 2016 6:18 pm

I beat it also. Was good. The middle chapters were definitely the strongest of the game. Best exploration, puzzles, and setpieces along with a good change of scenery. Feel it slowed down after the flashback chapter, after that it felt padded as hell. Could have condensed what was four or five hours into two without missing a beat.

Part of my issue with that is how much of the game was just wandering aimlessly like The Last of Us, but when you're looking for treasures rather than supplies and the focus is more on the plot than the world, it just doesn't work like it did in TLOU. I would always be excited to explore every inch of an area in that game but here I just wanted the plot to hurry up and continue.

Also this game is really glitchy. So many times I'd tap R2 without my gun firing, Nate would respond really strangely to me wanting to move out of cover, even had Nate fall through the ground during a cutscene so didn't get to watch it until he miraculously was back on the ground after it ended.

Did like it still. Combat was better than ever, stealth had great improvements, there was strong variety between gameplay styles, much better platforming design, and I loved how open the game was. Just had a lot of pacing and polish issues.

Story worked okay. Nadine was a strong villain for what she was but no Lazarovic and Adler was very underdeveloped. If you want to give him a connection to Nate and Sam, cool, but don't just have that be a small cameo. If there was say a full mission working with him like Flynn in 2 I think the story would have been much stronger. Elena was a much stronger character than before while Sully was as great as ever but man I really hate Sam. The dude is just such a big douchebag and they forgive every time he's a piece of shit. I hated him more than Flynn and that's a guy whose entire character is built around making you want to punch him.

Also really glad with the direction they took the treasure. Won't spoil it but man was that refeeshing.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber on Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:50 am

Not pleased that there is a trophy for beating the game in 6 hours. I really hate speed runs, and I hate even more that Twitch is full of people doing them. Definitely seems like the hardest game in the series to platinum, but I'll soldier on.

In multiplayer it is super strange that in one match I'll look like a fucking super hero, and the next I'll look like an a shitty extra in a shitty movie. I vow to be good at it though.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube on Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:27 pm

Now that everyone's finished it how would you rank the series?

Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher on Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:53 pm

2>GA>4>3>1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMatt on Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:23 am

2>4>1>3>GA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber on Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:23 pm

I don't think I could make a list, I like them all so much. Golden Abyss would be last, that's the only certainty I have.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 on Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:05 pm

Yeah ranking them is tough. I think I'd go: 2=4>3>1>GA. I'm copping out at the top for now I guess.

Been having fun playing the multiplayer with Bret! You guys are always welcome to join us. You can't be any worse than Bret's cousin or some of these dolts we get teamed up with.

Also been slowly looking for treasures here and there to work towards the platinum. Some of them are pretty hard to find especially with how big some of the levels are. Like you said Bret, I just don't like the idea of speedrunning in this game. I'll do it eventually, but this game in particular isn't designed to be played that way at all. I'm assuming you'd have to skip cutscenes too because they are realtime in this game, so they'd count against your time. Seeing the story again is part of the fun of replaying for me.
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube on Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:39 pm

It is high time me and Bret mashed into each other and died simultaneously again...

Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 on Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:20 am

I still have that video on my PS3. Now that I have a Youtube account, I will upload it for you guys.
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher on Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:57 am

I think what I like about GA is its more consistent than 3 and 4 while more fun than 1 IMO. I mean, the final boss in GA is the worst in the series (which is saying a lot), but the rest was pretty consistent. 3 and 4 have higher highs but lower lows, especially 3. And 1 I forgot 90% of two weeks after I played it both times.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube on Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:21 am

I would say 2 > 4 > 1 > 3 (haven't played GA).

If anyone put 2 in anywhere but number 1 I'd be concerned but the rest can go either way. I remember being the most frustrated with 3's "story" segments which should have been cutscenes and 4 definitely does live in that game's shadows, especially early on. I appreciate that four doens't do a supernatural twist but it also doesn't raise the stakes either.

On another note, I actually liked Sam, not sure what other people's thoughts beyond Greenie's were but I thought he was a cool character.

Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMatt on Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:53 pm

I thought Sam was a good character. He was also the driving force to almost every event in the entire game. It was cool to see Nate be motivated by something other than treasure. It was a much more grounded story to tell for an Uncharted game... The twist with Sam was better for me than, ok now zombies or blue dudes.

But don't get me wrong... he's kind of a piece of shit as a person, but that doesn't mean he's not a good character.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber on Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:54 pm

I'm really enjoying the multiplayer in this game, except for when we come up against teams that stick together and move around like a wolf pack. It's true, you guys can't be as bad as my cousin. I look forward to playing this for a long time, because I don't think there's another multiplayer shooter that interest me anytime soon.

What are the other modes like, I've only ever done team death match.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 on Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:39 pm

Plunder is Uncharted's version of capture the flag. Command is a zone capture mode. They don't work as well with Uncharted 4's mechanics in my opinion. Especially mines. I hate mines in general because Uncharted is all about movement and having to slow down to shoot them out or be careful in hotspots like treasure pickups just goes against what Uncharted is. But being able to plop them by the treasure chest where you bring the "flag" in Plunder or in the capture zones is extra annoying. Same goes for using the sidekicks for these.

In the last game they had this great mode called Team Objective that was basically Warzone from Killzone. Super cool mode. I hope they bring that back.

As for the Sam question, pretty much what Matt said. He is important as a catalyst so we get to explore all the relationships, conflicts and themes this game delves into. He's a good character.

One aspect I really liked about this story is how much more in-depth the historical/treasure hunt side of the storyline felt. It felt like we got a lot more background into the pirate tale with all the documents and extra conversations you can have. And I loved actually being able to explore the lost city this time. The last two games, you sort of get rushed through there and are generally bombarded by combat. Here since you arrive earlier, you get to take your time and see more of what the places have to offer. That added to that depth I mentioned. Plus they did a good job of showing some parallels between the the historical story and the current day one.
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber on Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:05 am

I didn't play a lot of Uncharted 3's multiplayer, but I remember that mode. Warzone from Killzone 2 and 3 is my favorite multiplayer mode ever, so I'd definitely love to see it return. Modes like that force people to work together as a team, and that's why I like this a lot. By reviving and sticking together it gives you a lot more strategy than a lot of other shooters out there. I kind of regret never trying The Last of Us' multiplayer.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher on Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:08 am

I feel like I'd be fine with Sam if Elena or Sully called him out. Nate I get not calling him out, but those two, hell no. I'm fine with him being a piece of shit, just give him consequences for being one.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMatt on Sat Jun 11, 2016 8:07 am

As to what Trip said, I thought it was neat whenever Nate had to resort to Sam's knowledge of the Avery stuff. In the previous games Nate was always an open book of knowledge whenever something came up and I always wondered how the hell did he know all that? With Sam it made total sense, because he spent 15 years in prison obsessing about it... maybe even longer going back to finding his mom's book.

As for the Uncharted Multiplayer... I would love to get into it. I always had a blast playing with you guys for Uncharted 2 and the little bit of 3's multiplayer I tried. Unfortunately Uncharted 4 came out at the same time as Overwatch and I really can't see myself putting that one down for a while.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 on Sun Jun 12, 2016 6:45 pm

I had my best match in this game's multiplayer last night. 25 downs/19 KOs to only 3 deaths. Considering it is 40 kills to win instead of 50, this is up there with my best from 2/3. I uploaded the video to Youtube. I don't expect anyone to waste 11 minutes watching it, but I will link to the six minute mark in case anyone wants to see a cool section:

https://youtu.be/_YnPwqWIGgQ?t=6m3s

In about a minute I wipe four of their dudes and two brutes (my teammates helped some of course including finishing off the last brute and reviving me towards the end). I was really proud of my use of Indra's Eternity in this match.
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 on Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:41 pm

Curious to see what the new map will be plus any other changes coming in the update to multiplayer this week. I almost have all the cosmetic stuff unlocked I think. Of course, I'm still missing Elena skins somehow! Really want the reporter one. I was trying to think of what the new map could be based on. Here are the ones so far:

Jungle and Remnants are both based on Chapter 13 I think?
Pirate Colony is Chapter 20
River is Chapter 17
Scotland is Chapter 8
Auction House is Chapter 6
Rooftops is Chapter 7
Madagascar City is Chapter 11

I'm thinking the next one might be based on the safari in Chapter 10. Bret suggested the Prison. I had a friend joke that it would be Drake's family beach house! Not sure what other possibilities would be. I'd rather it not be another jungle map. Maybe something on Chapter 12 (the boat one)? Maybe if they did a full on interior one based on an alternate take on Avery's mansion that would be different. Otherwise, I don't think one based on 18 would stand out much from some of the other jungle ones.

Anyway, excited to see what it is. It is a little disappointing to think it will be the same three-lane based setup of the rest. Wish they'd get a bit more creative.

(I realize only Bret really cares about the multiplayer, but I just wanted to speculate before they show it which they should tomorrow I believe.)
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber on Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:28 am

I think eventually they should release old maps from the previous games, I like they do stuff like that. Maybe have people vote on fan favorites. In the Killzone games they do stuff like that, but usually the favorites are my least favorites, but you can't win them all!

I wouldn't say no to more Scotland snow!

Yesterday when I said we got off because we were getting our ass kicked, Clifton finished with a score of 150. I don't even know how you can suck that bad.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 on Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:26 pm

I vastly preferred the old maps to 4's, but they seem so different from a design perspective. Not sure if they'd feel they needed to revamp them. They'd certainly need some grapple points! Would be cool though. They released every Uncharted 2 map in 3 eventually. At the very least, I could see them basing some new maps on old games' locations. I just assumed the first new map would be based on 4. Maybe not though.

Hopefully your cousin at least threw in a Lazaravic impression. That is worth some bonus points.
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top