Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Now Playing
by volvocrusher Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:27 pm

» General TV Show Discussion
by volvocrusher Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:48 pm

» First Half of 2018 Questionnaire (GotY So Far, etc.)
by volvocrusher Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:35 pm

» The E3 2018 Discussion Thread
by volvocrusher Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:59 pm

September 2018
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Top 5 Gaming Goals For 2018 (with 2016 and 2017 also mixed in)

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Re: Top 5 Gaming Goals For 2018 (with 2016 and 2017 also mixed in)

Post by volvocrusher on Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:23 pm

So I'm going to do two goals rather than 5 so I can stick with them easier
1. Beat my remaining 2017 games- I've got Divinity Original Sin 2, Prey, Wolfenstein: TNC, Nier Automata's NG+ (wasn't keen on doing B so close to A for obvious reasons if you played it), Assassin's Creed Origins, Cuphead, and Final Fantasy XII to finish. Most of which are pretty long, but I'm going to hold off on most console purchases next year. Switch I can justify since I'm in the mood to play a handheld game more often.
2. Beat at least three Final Fantasy games- I've only beat VII, but would like to finish some other games in the series since I'm already addicted to XII. I own IV, VI, VIII, IX, X, XII, and XV also. VIII and IX I don't ever see myself finishing and XII I'll definitely finish, which leaves IV, VI, X and XV as the others. I'll probably do a SNES one and one of the other two.

Last edited by volvocrusher on Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube on Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:25 pm

I'd go for VI and IX as they're both universally loved.

Steam: Krubixcube         3DS Friend Code: 1950-9553-1102         PSN:KrubixCube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher on Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:27 pm

I got through disc one of IX and was bored out of my mind. I can't see myself finishing it, at least not in the near future. I loved the art style, but the world, characters, combat and story didn't click with me at all.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube on Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:35 pm

Fair enough! VI Moves a little faster (ah, the good ol' Super Nintendo). But if you're not a big JRPG guy it definitely won't change your mind.

My short term gaming goals:

1. Beat Hollow Knight
2. Beat The Witcher III - Blood and Wine

My long-term gaming goals for this year:

1. Play more weird, independent games. Branch outside of traditional stuff and play more games that have weird mechanics or border on non-games. Why? I dunno, something different I guess.

Other than that...get through more of my backlog/the same stuff I've said every year.

Steam: Krubixcube         3DS Friend Code: 1950-9553-1102         PSN:KrubixCube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber on Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:45 am

Out of the games you have left on that list, I'd say X and VI. I know a lot of people love and cherish IV, but it's one of my least favorite Final Fantasy games. If you can get it for cheap, I'd recommend Final Fantasy V. It goes on sale for PS3/PSP quite a bit. It's got a cool job system that they revisit in X-2. I'm gonna replay V and VI sometime soon, but when I first played the SNES games V was my favorite. You could also play X-2, which is a really fun game, but it's a bit silly/corny a lot. One of my favorite Final Fantasy battle systems for sure.

I did pretty good on my 2017 goals, but didn't really accomplish any of them but one. Beat the 5 games I downloaded from previous years, beat XIII-2 and got all the way to the end of Lightning Returns before I got my ass kicked. Played a lot of XIV, and then they fucked that all up when they released IX with trophies. Beat 2 Zelda games (Ocarina and LttP), but I bought boy Oracle games but never played them. Never got around to attempting Metal Gear. Oh well. I'll make a 2018 list soon, but I won't make it as hard as I did last year.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher on Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:03 am

V looks really interesting to me since I seem to gravitate towards RPGs that offer more customization. Thing is i sold my Vita, not sure where my PSP is, and don't feel like playing that on a TV so I'd probably need the GBA version. Might get it next time GameStop does a B2G1 free on retro games since they actually have really good prices on them.
Don't have any real desire in X-2 though, I like stupid fun but what I've seen of it doesn't feel like my kind of stupid. Not a knock, just not for me.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ajapam on Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:42 pm

Again I kind of just want to get the most out of the game I already have. Not sure I'll be buying many new games this year outside of ones I'm really excited for and short indie titles (though I can't really think of any for the former. Maybe Spider-man and TLOU2 but those might not come out yet?)

I want to learn to enjoy MP shooters again. Hoping I can get back into Siege, and maybe a battle royale game if I just give up on going for first (which makes it really slooow) and jumping straight into the fray to see how far that takes me.

Also want to get through some big RPGs like Divinity. Much like with battle royale games I need to get less ambitious with these and just play as a character instead of trying to do ALL THE STUFF

ajapam
Jill Sandwich

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber on Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:39 pm

Bret Baber's 2018 Gaming Goal List of Future Failures/Excuses

1. Beat Resident Evil Code Veronica - Owned it on the PS2 and got really far, but felt like the game would never end so I just stopped playing it. These are my favorite kind of Resident Evil games, as in the shitty controls and corny voice acting, so I'd like to beat this one.

2. Beat Super Mario Galaxy 2 - I've owned it for a while, but I still haven't opened it. I really hate motion controls. Despite enjoying the first game, being a lefty isn't fun with motion controls. The potential problem with this is that I'll for some reason want to play the first game again which will really slow my progress.

3. Beat all of the Kingdom Hearts games - One down, and I don't even know how many to go. This series sounds like it gets bat shit crazy so I'm not sure what to expect.

4. Beat 3 portable games - I've got a lot of Vita games and 3DS games I've owned for a while without even opening. That's just stupid of me. There's a lot I can choose from with games like Yo-Kai Watch 2, Freedom Wars, Breath of Fire IV, Tales of Hearts R, and many more.

5. Beat 2 Zelda games - Someday I'll beat them all and won't have to make these apart of my list.

Casey, decide on Final Fantasy games yet?

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher on Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:53 pm

Well, XII I knew would be one when I started making the list. I then decided to play VI during my breaks at work and am at the point where the Esper explains everything. I'm enjoying VI a lot more than I remember. Not sure which one the third will be, will play the other two first.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber on Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:19 pm

I've only ever played VI once so I don't really remember a lot about it. I remember the battles were fun though, really similar to VII. I want to play that and V again sometime soon, I always like having a Final Fantasy game going every now and then.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher on Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:14 am

See, I'm just not a fan of active time battle. I prefer having all the time I want in RPG combat rather than being on a timer while navigating menus. I know my favorite RPGs are the Kotor games which have it, but they also have a button that lets you pause the game and take all the time you want to issue four turns of commands before resuming, you can even set the game to pause after each turn. I'd enjoy Kotor less and feel Dragon Age was borderline unplayable if they didn't have those pause buttons. I think the only one without a pause button where it actually improved the combat was Chrono Trigger because solo commands were very simple while the complex ones were saved for group attacks, so deciding whether to go for a solo hit or wait, risk getting attacked to get the group combo was a fun and unique tactic.

I can stomach it if there's other mechanics to make up for it which makes me feel I should give V a try since it's the one out of the ATB games that seems the most interesting in that regard. I hated VIII's other mechanics and IX's felt bland to me which is why I bounced off them hardest of the ATB games. VI's feel good enough with how the characters vary wildly from one another, especially since they're really strong characters. Like, if these were blank slates like the NES games, I don't think their variations would be as engaging. But it's fun trying to figure out a good party combination with their abilities in mind and the pacing and story are both good enough to keep me going.

Also another thing that bugs me is that party members stay the same size in battle, but your enemies are drastically changing size and shape once you get into combat if you see them before. I'm fine with RPGs changing the look between overworld and combat, but the characters staying the same still looks awkward to me.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube on Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:10 pm

ATB usually has WAIT mode that will pause while navigating menus and stuff. I agree with you in principle though, I'd rather have all the time in the world OR have it be an action RPG.

I think what hurt IX the most for me replaying it is how SLOW the battles are. And for seemingly no reason. You select an action then characters wait forever and then the bars take a long time to fill up. I replayed VII and VIII which felt really fast in comparison. I still love IX but dislike that aspect.

Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher on Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:31 pm

I set it to wait, but that always makes the game slower for me since I'm waiting to be able to attack again. It feels so slow especially after Persona 5 had such quick smooth battles.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 on Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:01 am

I don't really have any goals. I guess I'd just like to try to play some more RPGs.
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

View user profile http://thetripleoption.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher on Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:32 am

Are you going to stick with action RPGs and ones like Mario and Luigi or are you thinking of trying a strictly menu driven one? Or unsure yet?

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 on Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:06 am

I plan to at least try a strictly menu driven one. I don't know which (recommendations are welcome) or if I will like it, but I'm going to at least give it a try. I'd also like to try Bloodborne maybe. I feel both of these would hit new areas of the genre for me.
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher on Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:01 am

If you do pick one, I'd personally recommend either Final Fantasy X or Pokemon Ultra Sun/Moon. I know you'll rent, so something easily accessible on Gamefly is for the best. FFX has from what I remember had a more puzzle heavy focus in its dungeons than most traditional RPGs. There's hardly any exploration, but it has some of the better combat in the series. The combat also has normal encounters require more thinking and planning while still keeping things pretty easy to grasp. And I have a couple buddies who hardly ever dabbled with RPGs and adore that game.

Pokemon I'd recommend if you aren't over the 3DS. Know you like to play handhelds while watching TV or sports, and it's one of the best games to play while doing that. Combat is very simple to learn, but still has enough depth, especially when you're building a well rounded team. And it has a very satisfying sense of progression, you'll be getting new moves to try out, new evolutions, and new Pokemon to catch all the time. Picked the newest since it has the most quality of life improvements. I know Kubert will be jealous if you have no clue what an HM is.

FFVII also goes on sale often and the DS Chrono Trigger should be on Gamefly which are pretty good options too. Those are my recommendations for stuff you can still get on a machine still in your rotation. A couple I wouldn't recommend to jump right into are anything Shin Megami Tensei (super long and slow intros, pretty much all except Persona 4/5 aren't newbie friendly), FFXII (I adore it, but gambits might be overwhelming), FFIX (I know it's a fan favorite, just a bit worried its combat might prove too slow. If Bret makes a strong sell on this though feel free to take my opinion on it with a grain of salt).

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube on Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:06 am

If you have a DS, I'd recommend Chrono Trigger. The old SNES RPGs were paced SO much faster than the ones today so battles are fast and you don't spend a lot of time grinding.

That said, Chrono Trigger is one of my favorite games ever, if not my favorite, so if you don't like it I may curl up and cry a little.

Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber on Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:28 am

Here's a list of my suggestions...

Final Fantasy IX - Casey's right on the the slow combat. You can input an attack and it takes a while for your characters to actually pull them off, and even the animations for some of the attacks are slow. A random battle can be lengthier than it should be. However, it has a really simple skill system, where you learn new abilities for your characters by equipping items and it's really easy to understand, whereas something like Final Fantasy VIII and XII have more of a harder to learn system. Also, the characters are my favorite overall in all of the games, the main 4 I just really love, and your heart will melt for little Vivi. The game has a good sense of humor, and it has a nice world that's fun to explore. One good thing about the PS4 remaster is there's options to speed up the combat, so you can really whiz through them if you want because everything is in super fast motion. Makes grinding those random battles really easy. It is the quintessential Final Fantasy game, an nod to all of the ones that came before it. Also, people like the card game but I could care less about that.

Positives - Simple addicting battle/skill system, characters, music
Negatives - Slow battles, weak main villain compared to other FF baddies

Final Fantasy VII - This is my favorite game, so you'd think I'd recommend this one first, but it hasn't aged as well as IX. IX might have my favorite overall characters, but the characters in this game are cooler. The problem with the characters is the bad translation that the game got, whereas IX got an excellent translation and had a lot more attention to each character. The combat is the best in the series. It's fast paced. The materia system is great, each materia will give your character a different power/magic to use. The characters have certain builds that they might be better suited for, but you could almost make any character whatever you want them to be. The story is my favorite in the series, as well as the music. The thing is I played this game during my teenage years, which really hit me hard back then. Going from Super Nintendo to the kind of storytelling I got from this was and still is the greatest gaming experience I ever had, but you as a man in his 30s having played all the current gen systems won't be as wowed as I was back in 97. Having said that, it's not just nostalgia that makes it my favorite game, I think overall it is the best Final Fantasy game ever made.

Pros - Best battle system, best music, best story, awesome characters, awesome villain
Cons - Bad translation, clunky character models, rougher controls

Final Fantasy X - I agree this is a great place to start with Final Fantasy. Out of the three that I mentioned I think it's the easiest game. The sphere grid (how you learn abilities in this game) is super easy to understand. The battle system is really fun and super fast, and you can use every character in battle which was a first for the series. The random battles are really easy though, they never really give you a problem if you're not rushing through the game. Each character has their own abilities, and it becomes pretty easy to figure out which character to swap in and out for the enemies you're fighting.The story is the last great Final Fantasy story, although I like VII's more this is probably my second favorite in the series as far as stories go. The puzzle aspect that Casey mentioned is really cool and gives each dungeon a little something else to do other than battles. There's a mini game that people loved too, but was something I never got into. The game is super linear though, I'm not sure how this game didn't get the crap that XIII got, because it's essential the same keep running forward formula. The characters are cool but the voice acting is kind of a let down, and it sucks that the two main characters give the worst performance out of everyone. All in all, I wouldn't be sad if you picked this game because it is great, and if you pick this you also get X-2, which is a little crazy and out there at times, but has one of the best job systems in the series.

Pros - Story, fast paced combat incorporating all characters, voice acting so you don't have to read everything, fresh take on the series
Cons - Linear, Tidus and Yuna's voice actors, easiest of the three

Dragon Quest VIII - You can easily get this on your 3DS with gamefly, but if you did you'd be in for the longest game on my list. When I played it I didn't focus on anything but the story and it took me almost 80 hours to complete. Super simple combat that's fun and addictive. One of my favorite voice acted games, especially the funny moments with Yangus and the King. Huge map to explore if you want a game with a massive world, the biggest one on my list. The game encourages you to explore because it's pretty important to level grind and get your characters stats up, but I loved doing it for the 80 hours that I played it.

Pros - Easy combat but super fun, characters, huge world, fun collectibles
Cons - Really hard at first until you get the hang of it and start level grinding a bit, NPC are rehashed and used a lot which is more annoying than anything else

Costume Quest - I can't remember if you've played this game or not since it has been so long, but I think I remember talking about it before. Super easy to get the hang of, but it can get a bit repetitive with the battles. I mainly suggest it because I think you'd really like the Halloween theme. It's about 8-10 hours from what I remember, so it's a fairly quick and easy experience.

Pros - Halloween themed, funny
Cons - Combat is repetitive

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 on Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:06 am

Thanks for the input guys. I will let you know when I land on something.
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber on Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:42 am

Oh, and Chrono Trigger was a really fun game too, so I agree with them. I just felt the last boss was really cheap, but other than that I enjoyed it. Only played that game one time though so I don't remember a lot about it.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher on Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:39 pm

The only reason I wouldn't whole heartedly recommend starting with Chrono Trigger is because it's a better RPG to play if you know you like turn based RPGs. One of the game's best parts is its New Game Plus which lets you beat the game whenever you want and get radically different endings each time and if you just rent it you probably will send it back after beating it, you can't really try that. Still one of the most likable RPGs out there, just a little too good for its own good in this scenario.Because I'd say it's best to go with a game you'd rent during a drought over buying so you don't potentially waste any money.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber on Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:14 pm

Does it ever go on sale on the eShop? I don't check the eShop that often to know the answer for sure, hell I don't even know if it is available to download.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher on Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:35 pm

Chrono Trigger isn't on the eshop, it was an original DS game.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube on Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:10 pm

That's a fair point I suppose. But I feel SNES-era is a good era to get introduced since (by and large) they are much faster/less grindy.

I say that and realize...not always. The random encounter rate is much higher (which is another nice thing about Chrono Trigger).

Guys, I just love Chrono Trigger so much ;____;

Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher on Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:17 pm

It is less grindy, but I feel if you wanna go that route a 3DS Pokemon is a better intro. EXP Share removes grinding entirely and if it's too much then you can always turn it off to get a better challenge. Really, most of the strengths of the 16/32 bit era are better streamlined in 3DS Pokemon.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube on Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:14 pm

That's true. I think at that point it just depends on how important story is to you.

Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher on Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:42 pm

Honestly, Ultra Sun has a pretty good story though. Nowhere near the best in the genre, but the characters are fun with distinct personalities and there's some good twists thrown in there. Let me put it this way: There were moments where I was surprised by where the plot went in that game.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber on Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:01 pm

Call me crazy, but when I play an RPG I really like the grinding aspect of the game. I'll run around for hours getting in random battles just to watch my character grow. Feels like I put in work and I was rewarded.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher on Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:08 pm

I generally prefer RPGs that can do that without forcing you to grind. I blame Pokemon on this, you get possibly the best sense of progression in the genre, only to suddenly reach the Elite 4 with a team that's mostly got their ideal moves and evolutions so it's just making sure your numbers can match up with their numbers. FFXII was actually kind of similar, the progression with the license board was amazing until the very end when I just needed to get the levels up since I already had the skills I really wanted.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum