by Krubixcube Yesterday at 8:39 pm

» Game of Thrones TV Show Discussion
by Krubixcube Yesterday at 8:37 pm

» Gaming Pet Peeves
by ajapam Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:29 pm

August 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Top 5 Gaming Goals For 2017 (with 2016 also mixed in)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Top 5 Gaming Goals For 2017 (with 2016 also mixed in)

Post by BretBaber on Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:12 pm

With the new year coming up, I figured it would be a perfect time to come up with some goals you'd like to reach in the world of video games.  Hopefully everyone picks some good ones, ones that you've always wanted to accomplish, but they're your goals so who the hell am I to tell you what to do?  If possible, I'd love to know why this is a gaming  goal for you.  Maybe towards the end of 2016 we can look back on this and see how many goals we accomplished.  Also, feel free to list more if you have more.

Last edited by BretBaber on Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Top 5 Gaming Goals For 2017 (with 2016 also mixed in)

Post by BretBaber on Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:19 pm

I know of 2 right now, but I'll have to really think about the other 3 that could compare as much as the first 2 for me personally. I'll post those two now just to get it rolling.

1. Get the platinum trophy for Final Fantasy VII - Seems lame, but it's not really. I've beat the game many times which is understandable since it is my favorite, but I've never attempted to take down the 2 ultimate weapons in Emerald and Ruby. A year or so ago I was attempting this task, and saw the Steam version of Final Fantasy VII come out with achievements, and I knew if I'd wait someday there would be a platinum trophy for me in the future. Well the time has come, and since this is my favorite game of all time this is something I'd really like to make happen.

2. Beat Super Mario 3 - Not sure if anyone else knows other than Trip, but this has always been a game I've wanted to beat, but never have. As a kid I got to the 8th world shadow world many times, but the lack of a save system back on the NES always made me come up empty handed. I remember writing a blog on 1up about games I'd love to beat that I haven't, and I'm sure we've talked about it on here before as well. As someone who grew up in the 80's playing games, I kind of find it inexcusable that I haven't beat this game.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 on Thu Dec 17, 2015 4:03 am

Only thing I can think of is that I'd like to finish another RPG. I think I will just be trying Mass Effect again. I am just going to not be obsessed with trying to talk to every person this time. That is what got me into trouble before. I know I will miss some stuff as a result, but otherwise I will likely never finish it.

Edit: You asked why this is a goal too. Well I'd like to get more into the genre after enjoying The Witcher 3. And since so many of my friends love Mass Effect that would be a particularly good one to jump into. Would be cool if I ended up getting through the whole trilogy in time for the new one, but I don't want to get ahead of myself here!
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

View user profile http://thetripleoption.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by ajapam on Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:15 am

I have the same problem, Trip. I quit a lot of RPGs once they open up because there's so many people to talk to and I end up with so much random stuff to do.

1. Work on my backlog - I always have to do this. I'd like to at least beat some of my PC RPGs and JRPGs. They've been waiting for a while now. Hopefully this Xenoblade kick I'm on gets me started. I'd like to spend more time with my handhelds, too, so I'd probably play more of those first.

2. Get a Ps4 - It all depends on time and money but with UC4 and Persona 5 definitely coming out next year I should get one sooner rather than later.

3. Play more new games - The aforementioned PS4 games being some of the obvious choices. How I work this in with goal #1 is beyond me

4. Play games in other languages - I'd like to play more in german or french. No replacement for more intensive learning but it helps and it's fun. Ubisoft games are always a sure bet for this so it gives me a good excuse to dive into Splinter Cell and Far Cry 4, too.

5. Replay Mass Effect - I've been wanting to do this ever since I got them all on PC. I'll create a character whose talents are a bit more useful and do the renegade route.

ajapam
Jill Sandwich

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber on Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:43 pm

3. Beat the 3 Final Fantasy games I've yet to beat. Sadly, I'm not looking forward to 2 of them though. The three are Final Fantasy XIII-2 and Lightning Returns (I really hate this world, and why out of all games this world got 3 games just blows my fucking mind), and Final Fantasy XIV.

Still need to think of 2 more good ones.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by avidacridjam on Thu Dec 31, 2015 7:33 am

1. Finish MGS4 and MGS5: Ground Zeroes (and maybe Peacewalker?) so that I can start and finish The Phantom Pain.
2. Finish Dragon Age: Inquisition.
3. Start and finish The Witcher 3.
4. Finish Just Cause 2.
5. Finish either GTA V or IV, whichever comes first.

avidacridjam
Beary Bad Joker

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher on Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:02 pm

1. Wait on more new games- I'll make exceptions for things like Mass Effect, Uncharted, and Pokken, but I'm gonna wait more on new games and save some money. Plus it'll let me know if a games really
2. Play more games I own- Both replaying classics I really should like I'm doing with Skies or getting around to my backlog like Deus Ex
3. Stop buying into hype- After Battlefront killed all my interest in the game, I'm done getting excited for all these games. They're BS until proven ok now
4. Do more Backloggers- Had issues with the current one so it's on hold but hopefully I'll get it up soon. Then I'll move onto cranking more out hopefully

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube on Thu Dec 31, 2015 8:06 pm

I just want to get my backlog to an overall plus number (more games beat this year than added)

Steam: Krubixcube         3DS Friend Code: 1950-9553-1102         PSN:KrubixCube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber on Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:20 am

4. Beat 3 Zelda games - I really like Zelda, but the games I've beat in the series are probably the ones you wouldn't think someone would beat. I beat the 2 DS titles and the very first Zelda game when they released those Nintendo Classics on the Gameboy Advance. I really like Zelda, so I'm not sure why I've never got into the games more.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber on Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:18 pm

5. Beat the Crash Bandicoot games - I'm only going to hold myself to this one if a new Crash Bandicoot game is actually announced. So I might make a tentative 6th goal as well.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber on Sun Nov 06, 2016 2:45 pm

I don't think I'll meet my Final Fantasy goal. Beat XIII-2 and started playing Lightning Returns, but I just feel like I'm horrible at the game. The combat is fun but it's also horrible. I might restart and play on easy because I see that people online say you should play on easy first. I'm just so torn!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube on Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:57 pm

...I always fail my goals. We're both failures, man.

Steam: Krubixcube         3DS Friend Code: 1950-9553-1102         PSN:KrubixCube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SanAndreasX on Mon Nov 07, 2016 1:11 am

I didn't set goals. Hard to fail when you don't bother to set goals. Smile Nice necrobump BTW.

PSN: Super_King666
Nintendo: SanAndreasX
Steam: San_Andreas_X
3DS Friend Code: 2294-5129-1033
SanAndreasX
Biotic God

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber on Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:03 am

How did everyone do on their goals? I'd give myself a B-.

Got the platinum for Final Fantasy VII, which was very satisfying to be able to destroy those pesky weapons. Also for the first time got every material mastered, which was also really cool.

Beat Super Mario 3. That shadow world is a real pain in the ass. Glad I can finally say I beat that game. Definitely the hardest Mario out of the Mario games I have beat.

Beat only 1 of the 3 Final Fantasy games I wanted to. XIII-2 was a more enjoyable game than XIII, but still not a game deserving the Final Fantasy name. Started up Lightning Returns and I was just horrible at it. I'll attempt that game again in 2017, but I'm not looking forward to it. Beating Final Fantasy XV makes up for not beating Lightning Returns.

Beat 2 Zelda games. I attempted this task too late, but I could have easily have done it. Beat Majora's Mask which seems like a harder Zelda game to beat than most (I'm no expert though, so I could be wrong. Was harder than the 2 DS games I played by a long shot), and the Gameboy color Link's Awakening. I just started up Ocarina of Time 3D version, and I"m determined to get past the Water Temple and fuck up Ganon.

Didn't even attempt a Crash game. If they would have announced a brand new game and not a remake I would have been more determined.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher on Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:06 am

1. Wait on more new games- I did good on this. Can't remember a single game I bought that I felt burnt on after.
2. Play more games I own- I did beat Deus Ex: Human Revolution which was a big one. So there's that. Also a lot of online Pokemon which I'm counting.
3. Stop buying into hype- I was cynical as hell on everything from No Man's Sky onward. Some of those games pleasantly surprised me. Others I didn't bother with.
4. Do more Backloggers- I did two.....

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 on Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:49 am

Well, I started Mass Effect. I'd like to think I'd have finished it, but I kind of put it off until I was sure about the BC situation. Or that is just my excuse. Whichever.

While I didn't say it in here, I did try and spend less money on games this year. With Gamefly, I successfully bought less retail games at launch. With digital stuff it was about just trying to wait for sales and while I went a little nuts in the Christmas sale, I did end up saving a lot. So I think that worked out.
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber on Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:37 am

When it comes to digital, I usually wait for it to go on sale unless it's something I must have. I think the last game I bought the day it came out on PS4 was Costume Quest. Digital just has so many great sales it's almost stupid to buy the day it comes out.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber on Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:44 pm

I want some gaming goals for 2017, because I pushed myself pretty well with the last batch of goals I made for myself.

1. Beat 5 of the games that I have purchased digitally - I'mnot counting the ones I got for free with +, but games I actually used my own money to purchase but have yet to play. Some of these games could have been bought for less or free, so I'm rather irked at myself. Breath of Fire III, Bastion, Dark Cloud 2, Psychonauts, Okami, Tales of Hearts R, Darksiders 2. These are just a few of the massive amounts of games that I have bought but haven't even started. Like a jack ass, I'll just keep buying more though. This is goal numero uno!

2. Beat 3 Zelda games - Still lots of games for me to beat in the Zelda world. I was really hoping the Switch would be backwards compatible so I could knock out 2 on that system alone, but sigh.... I have A Link to the Past on Wii (shit, I could knock out two birds with one stone with goal number 1), and I've already beaten Ocarina of Time this year. So figuring out the third game might be a bit harder. It needs to be done though.

3. Beat the remaining Final Fantasy games I have yet to do - I wanted to do this last year, and did all right. I could have probably made this happen if I didn't get XV and get lost in that. The list is just Lightning's Return and Final Fantasy XIV. I can do this.

As of now those are 3 that I can think of, I'll add more once I figure them out.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube on Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:27 pm

*sigh* Right...I just wanna beat Dark Souls III, MAYBE plat Bloodborne, beat Last Guardian (and play it). But more games are coming.

It's a bad time guys. I also got a new translation of FFVI with some bug fixes (emulator) and I want to give it another playthrough. I haven't replayed it in a LONG time.

Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 on Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:12 pm

I'm going to just roll that Mass Effect goal over to this year!

Otherwise hoping to be more consistent writing on the blog. Going to try and start doing reviews again. And hoping to get to the point where I do one gaming podcast a month (one TV episode a month too, but not really a gaming goal).
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher on Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:15 am

1. Wait on more new games- I waited on Doom, Uncharted, Titanfall, and Battlefield with some others so think I did pretty good.
2. Play more games I own- Well I got to the "I'm done" point with Deus Ex: HR. Liked it, but had my fill around the time you lose all your augs
3. Stop buying into hype- Oh yeah, was cynical to cautiously optimistic on everything.
4. Do more Backloggers- Did not do this one. Maybe this year will fare better.

For 2017, not really setting too many gaming goals. More concerned about work out and career goals tbh. Maybe getting a better job so I can afford VR and try Resident Evil 7 in that.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube on Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:07 pm

Yes, career goals to afford the gaming goals. I can get on board with that!

Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher on Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:52 pm

Bret if you want a third Zelda game there's either Link Between Worlds on 3DS, which has a different take on LttP or the Oracle games which are very similar to Link's Awakening. Seasons is more exploration/combat oriented with an overworld based on manipulating seasons (ie making it winter to walk over a frozen lake) while Ages is based on time travel and more puzzle oriented.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber on Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:01 pm

I was thinking about all of those games, if the Oracle games go on sale I'll be all over them. They were on sale when I got Link's Awakening, wish I would I have gotten those as well. Based on the description of those two, Seasons sounds like the one I'd like more.

What is it about Nintendo taking Zelda games out of stores super fast, except for the ones people less want to play? I haven't seen Link Between Worlds at my store for easily over a year, but we continually carry Hyrule Warriors and Tri-Force Heroes. They're a very weird company.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher on Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:05 pm

If you want those games on sale you could always get a My Nintendo account, it will be pretty easy to earn coins quickly and they don't cost much to get a discount. If you want LBW, I'd recommend getting it on Amazon, should be there.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber on Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:22 am

Yeah, it is there, I have it in my cart and I monitor it for price drops. The next one I'm gonna play is Link to the Past since I own it. I could also play the second one for the NES since I have that on the Nintendo classic, but that game just isn't any fun to me.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube on Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:11 pm

I really liked a Link Between Worlds, my favorite Zelda in a long time.

Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher on Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:22 am

LBW had one of the best hard modes in any game IMO. Made collecting rupees and the side quests so important, since your rewards went much further in helping you out.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ajapam on Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:04 pm

My goal for 2017? Honestly, probably to buy less games and make the most of the ones I do get. I want to get more new games so I can join in on more discussion, but just the ones I'm really excited for like Zelda. I'll wait on most. I've been doing well with this so far.

ajapam
Jill Sandwich

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber on Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:10 am

4. Beat the first two Metal Gear games - Kind of surprised I haven't already done this, but I'd like to beat them at some point. I have them on my Vita, seems like a good game to play on lunch. I even have the Metal Gear Solid Gameboy Color game, but apparently the last boss is super hard. Anyone ever play that?

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top