The Play Station
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Top 5 Gaming Goals For 2018 (with 2016 and 2017 also mixed in)
by BretBaber Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:47 pm

» Now Playing
by volvocrusher Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:27 pm

» General TV Show Discussion
by volvocrusher Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:48 pm

» First Half of 2018 Questionnaire (GotY So Far, etc.)
by volvocrusher Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:35 pm

March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Top Five Pointless/Overused Gameplay Features

+2
TripOpt55
ajapam
6 posters

Go down

Top Five Pointless/Overused Gameplay Features Empty Top Five Pointless/Overused Gameplay Features

Post by ajapam Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:38 pm

I'm mad at games so I made this topic. Pretty much every game has something extra that nobody asked for. What are the worst?
ajapam
ajapam
Jill Sandwich

Back to top Go down

Top Five Pointless/Overused Gameplay Features Empty Re: Top Five Pointless/Overused Gameplay Features

Post by TripOpt55 Fri Nov 27, 2015 8:43 pm

What are we talking here. Like superfluous upgrade/RPG elements in games that have no need for them just so they can check that box? Or like when I have to mash a button to open something when simply hitting the button or holding it would suffice?
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

http://thetripleoption.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Top Five Pointless/Overused Gameplay Features Empty Re: Top Five Pointless/Overused Gameplay Features

Post by ajapam Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:31 pm

I was thinking the former. I think we already did QTE-type stuff on the old forums
ajapam
ajapam
Jill Sandwich

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Sat Nov 28, 2015 4:17 pm

Yeah that is what I figured.

Hmmm... perhaps like forced social aspects? Like I don't need to compare every game I play with my friends. I know I am ignoring the top five format. Just thinking of them as they come to me I guess.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Motinator Sun Nov 29, 2015 3:53 am

I don't enjoy when games force you to come up with a top five. I think of two things, can't think of three more, and just give up and never play it again Razz

But seriously... I think collecting items in open-world games goes too far. Like in any Spider-man games, they'll have hundreds of collectibles. There will be different categories—like comics, or landmarks—but they're basically just the same disc with a different icon. It seemed overwhelming when I played Assassin's Creed too.

I think that Ratchet and Clank, and the Prince of Persia reboot did it right.
Motinator
Motinator
Has a Bad Case of Headcrabs

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Sun Nov 29, 2015 3:38 pm

Collectibles in general kind of annoy me too actually, I feel like it's padding a game's run time and making it feel like there's more worth to it without any need for additional gameplay or challenge.

Notable exception: the Lara Craft top down games. Those challenge tombs make you want those extra things SO BAD.

Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by ajapam Sun Nov 29, 2015 4:20 pm

Ok for me...

1. Excessive unlocks/RPG elements in multiplayer. These are just tricks to make people keep playing. At best they are mostly unnecessary and at worst they give experienced players distinct advantages. There's also absolutely no reason I should have to play a multiplayer game for 20-30 hours to try all of the guns.
2. Minigames in open world games. Nobody played poker in Far Cry 3. The only ones I like are things like tennis and golf in GTAV
3. Open worlds themselves. A few games do these right but most get repetitive and boring after a while. The art of linear level design almost seems forgotten at this point.
4. Forced RPG elements in singleplayer. Actual in-depth RPG elements are fine but these are often just a lazy way to create a sense of progression. Sort of ties in with #3
5. Collectables/materials gathering. Basically what Mot and TWolf said about collectables. Gathering materials gets annoying, too. It makes sense in survival horror games but outside of that it usually just gets in the way. MGSV does it well with fultoning soldiers but everything else you have to gather is kind of annoying.
ajapam
ajapam
Jill Sandwich

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Sun Nov 29, 2015 6:09 pm

Yeah your #1 is the worst ajapam. I hate that.

Less is more with collectibles. I generally enjoy them if I like exploring in the game, but I don't like just making me check every corner of a room. I like when you hide them behind some kind of challenge even if that is just a clever hiding spot that you must puzzle your way to. Then it becomes more about completing the challenge than just finding stuff. It is nice if the collectible has some kind of value to the player too (like... I don't know a weapon mod or something).
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by SanAndreasX Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:33 am

Forced tutorials. I don't need to spend an hour learning how to tilt the left stick to move, the right stick to move the camera, and the X/B button to jump. And I think at this point that most of the audience for these games knows how to to do those things and that there are very few people playing video games on consoles/PCs these days that don't know how. Keep the tutorial as a separate option on the game's opening menu.

Collectathons. Rare's N64 games were the first games I noticed that were bad about this but too many games these days load you down with vendor trash.

Unless I'm playing an Atelier game which means I'm in the mood for that sort of thing, overly convoluted crafting systems. Sometimes I'd just like to be able to go to the armor shop and pick up a suit of armor without having to scrape my own together from three giant beetle shells, four kraken tentacles, and two troll ball sacks.

Stealth in games that aren't really designed for stealth.

Racing in open world games where you have to run your character through "rings" to stay on course, especially since these games tend to have controls like driving a shopping cart with a frozen wheel.
SanAndreasX
SanAndreasX
Biotic God

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:08 pm

1. Forced alchemy/crafting- Collecting was at the top of my list but when I read San's, I couldn't agree more. I really hate this. It's one thing to shoehorn collecting, it's another to shoehorn collecting materials to make other materials, most of which is probably useless anyways. Few games did this right (MGSV comes to mind)

2. Collecting- I thought this was bad in the N64 era, but could deal with it. Ubisoft era collecting though is enough to convince me to not bother with a game if it's bloated with a bunch of random crap to find which doesn't add much except bloat the game. At least they used to make challenges and extra rooms based on finding these things.

3. Taking control away- I get some games replace this with load screens (even though I'd much rather have a load screen than do nothing but move the left stick up), but then there's games that take control away to be cinematic and it's so annoying. Uncharted 2 wasn't great because it looked cool, it was great because it let you play the game while cool things happen.

4. MP Unlocks- Unless it's entirely cosmetic, just don't do it. A neat idea in CoD 4 that really shouldn't have become so big.

5. Not having a pause button when I play offline- Why is this a thing? I should be allowed to get up and take a piss if I'm playing on my own.
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down