The Play Station
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Top 5 Gaming Goals For 2018 (with 2016 and 2017 also mixed in)
by BretBaber Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:47 pm

» Now Playing
by volvocrusher Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:27 pm

» General TV Show Discussion
by volvocrusher Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:48 pm

» First Half of 2018 Questionnaire (GotY So Far, etc.)
by volvocrusher Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:35 pm

March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

The Sopranos Thread

3 posters

Go down

The Sopranos Thread Empty The Sopranos Thread

Post by ajapam Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:45 pm

This is where we discuss The Sopranos. Say nothin to nobody and post replies from an outside line

Rank the seasons:

Best Episode:

Worst Episode:

Favourite Mafia Character (apart from Tony):

Favourite "Legit" Character:

Least Favourite Character: [Oh boy, this one will be fun]

Favourite Moment or Quote:

Favourite Dream Sequence: [If you have one. Personally I love these]

What are your thoughts on the now-infamous ending?

What about The Sopranos hooked you on the show? [I feel like different people enjoy the show for very different reasons]

That seems like a good start. This show leaves a lot of questions unanswered so there's lots of things to speculate on. Feel free to add more questions if you think of any.
ajapam
ajapam
Jill Sandwich

Back to top Go down

The Sopranos Thread Empty Re: The Sopranos Thread

Post by ajapam Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:52 pm

I'm re-watching the show for the first time. About 3 quarters through season 1. I have to admit there are a few growing pains (mainly with some actors) but I was surprised by how many plot threads are created or hinted at in the pilot. Some shows struggle to find direction and their identity for a bit but I don't think that was the case here, despite a couple changes made like the voiceover.
ajapam
ajapam
Jill Sandwich

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:50 am

Rank the seasons: I've watched the show from beginning to end I think 3 times, but it's been too long since I've watched it last to probably accurately do this. So I'll have to skip out on this one.

Best Episode: Pine Barrens always comes to mind. Hilarious watching Paulie and Christopher out in the freezing woods together.

Worst Episode: I'm sure it's something from the first season, but I never found myself bored with the show. Can't recall the name, but when Tony was in a coma for a while it was a lot less fun.

Favourite Mafia Character (apart from Tony): Christopher Moltisanti. Other than the fact that he did some drugs, he was a loyal guy.

Favourite "Legit" Character: The story revolves around Tony Soprano, so I'd say him.

Least Favourite Character: Ralphie. If your best argument is "she was a whore!" than you're a seriously fucked up person.

Favourite Moment or Quote: Most of my favorite parts are just little funny moments, because I've always said the show is funnier than 95% of the comedies out there. So I'll just give a few lines that have always stuck with me...

"If you love me then scramble my eggs." Christopher says this to Adriana, when she tells him that she loves him.
"The poor thing must have crawled underneath me for warmth." Christopher says this to Adriana when she comes home and sees a drugged out Christopher sat on and killed her dog.
I also like when Tony cries about the ducks.
All the scenes when Tony would get mad about that singing fish that you'd hang on a wall.

Favourite Dream Sequence: Probably when Tony sees Big Pussy talking to him as a fish.

What are your thoughts on the now-infamous ending? Loved it. I took it as a sign that he'll always be looking over his shoulder, that he would always be paranoid. And the song selection for that last scene was amazing.

What about The Sopranos hooked you on the show? When the show first came out, I was totally in love with everything Italian (Italian soccer, food, had an Italian pen pal). What I really loved about the show though was how funny it was. These characters are doing horrible things, but they're always making me laugh. That was always my big gripe with Breaking Bad is that I never found myself laughing on that show. The Sopranos is the greatest show ever made, and I really don't see how it can be argued. All the characters are so deep, and weaved together so brilliantly (I'd love to see a family tree of that show, I'm sure someone has made one). It's the smartest show that has ever been written.
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

Post by ajapam Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:42 pm

Rank the seasons: 6, 4, 3, 2, 1, 5. They're all great. The only one I had a problem with was 5 because the whole Tony B storyline felt like old territory to me. It's been a while since I've seen them all, though.

Best Episode: Pine Barrens is pure gold. I'm also a big fan of Join The Club. It did a great job of humanizing Tony

Worst Episode: Can't think of anything I particularly disliked

Favourite Mafia Character (apart from Tony): Paulie. Chris is the most fleshed-out and I love Furio, but Paulie was consistently hilarious.

Favourite "Legit" Character: Carmela. Seeing her put Tony in his place is always great. They did a great job of building her character and not just making her act annoying to him

Least Favourite Character: Janice. The Sopranos has lots of characters you love to hate, but Janice felt like a real person you might actually know. She's infuriating

Favourite Moment or Quote: Favorite moment is the ending of "Join The Club." And some quotes...
"Lucas Brasi sleeps with the fishes" - Chris
"I'm a strict catholic" - Tony
"I stick motherfuckin provolone in my socks at night so they smell like your sister's crotch in the morning!" - Silvio

Favourite Dream Sequence: Probably one of the ones in season 2 on the boardwalk. The creaking noises and weird camera work are great. This show was so good at these

What are your thoughts on the now-infamous ending? I love it. It's disappointing at first but it really works with the series. You get a bunch of hints at possible endings and at where the characters might be going and then it just stops. I don't think Tony gets a happy ending (whether he's killed here or not) but I do like to think that AJ turns out well in the end.

What about The Sopranos hooked you on the show? I love how it takes the Mafia genre and flips a bunch of stuff on it's head, often in hilarious ways. Nothing ever turns out how you'd expect and the core of the show is often more about drama or philosophy than organized crime. Plus Tony is easily the most interesting character I've ever seen on a TV show and the rest of the main characters are great, too. I also loved how it could use religion and the supernatural in ominous ways without feeling preachy. Lots of shows are entertaining but none are as fascinating as The Sopranos. It has everything
ajapam
ajapam
Jill Sandwich

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:01 am

I've watched both Breaking Bad and The Sopranos, and I'm sick of talking to'people that think Breaking Bad is the superior show. In a lot of ways it just seems like a big copycat of sopranos. I think because sopranos has been gone for almost 10 years, people have forgotten how great the writing, acting, directing, and impact that show had. I had a friend at work say "Breaking Bad has a higher rating on imdb." Well it is a different era now with Netflix and being able to marathon shows. Don't get me wrong, I loved Breaking Bad, but now that I've seen it I don't ever really want to watch it again. James Gandolfini vs. Bryan Cranston is also a no contest, and when James won it wasn't a goodbye award like Cranston got over the much better performance of Matthew McConaughey, it was because he was the best actor on TV.

"Hey Uncle Jun, looks like you're in the muff. Did I say muff? I meant rough."

Another scene I like is when Furio slapped that doctor on the head at the golf course and said "There's a bee on your head!"
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

Post by ajapam Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:36 am

Breaking Bad has thrills for sure, but The Sopranos has depth and an all-around great cast of characters that BB never came close to. Not that that's necessarily bad, it stuck to what it did best, but for me it's just entertainment at the end of the day. It doesn't stick in my mind like The Sopranos did
ajapam
ajapam
Jill Sandwich

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:57 am

I have not finished Breaking Bad, but of what I've seen Breaking Bad certainly doesn't lack depth but Breaking Dad is a Philip K Dick novel as Sopranos is to Dostoevsky. They aren't necessarily better or worse, but the Sopranos really takes it's time and feels like it really explores in depth what it has.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down