MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

E3 2015 Discussion Thread

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: E3 2015 Discussion Thread

Post by ajapam on Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:27 pm

Here's my ranking

Microsoft: B. Lots of games that look pretty solid, but nothing blew me away. Cuphead was probably the only one I really want to play. Hololens was my favorite new tech shown and the announcement of backwards compatibility was great

EA: C. Didn't catch all of it, but it seemed like the usual EA conference. Sports and games you already know. Mirror's Edge and Battlefront look alright but they didn't put any of my fears for those at rest. I'm cautiously optimistic for the new NFS

Sony: A+. Pretty much everything they showed was something I wanted or something I at least understood the importance of. Horizon was my favorite game of E3, and even Black Ops 3 looked interesting. All the crap was jammed into the middle where you could just zone out and think about the stuff they announced before. And UC4 looks fun as always. For once I didn't feel like I was wasting my time watching a conference.

Nintendo: D. They announced a Metroid game I don't want and a Zelda game I don't want at the same time. I thought that was impossible. Star Fox looks fine but isn't big enough to redeem those

I didn't watch Ubisoft but they don't seem to have announced anything I particularly care about one way or the other (where's Driver San Fransequel?) Also didn't watch Square Enix but they would have showed Just Cause 3, so they're fine.

ajapam
Jill Sandwich

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher on Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:56 am

Here's my impressions:

Microsoft: B. New IP from some talented people, backwards compatibility, and Rare Replay sounds great to me. Halo looked cool, but I'm still bitter about the offline thing. Gears 4 will be something I'd enjoy, but it sounds like the remaster is just going to be Gears 1. If so, lame. Also no Scalebound. Double lame.

EA: A-. Cautiously optimistic on Mirror's Edge and Star Wars Battlefront. Sure a lot of time was wasted there and it was boring to watch while their announcements are probably objectively worse than MS'. Don't care. Jizzed myself over Mass Effect: Andromeda.

Ubisoft: Assassin's Creed 3. I hate Ubisoft conferences. I'm glad I missed this one. South Park sounds awesome at least, love the superhero angle. Still, thinking about their conferences just reminds me of all their other ones. And that doesn't even deserve a letter grade cause there's only 26. So I thought of the worst rating I could give them.

Sony: A. Bringing three games out of purgatory, three new IPs (one of which is AAA and looks amazing), so they did pretty damn great.

Nintendo: C+. Were their announcements great? Not really. But the new Zelda looks fun, the Mario and Luigi/Paper Mario crossover looks like one of the most meta things ever made, and Star Fox Zero looks fantastic. At the end of the day, at least half the games I want this fall were at that show. Which is what I want to see. And the outrage over that Metroid game is a little absurd. It's clearly just a smaller eshop game that doesn't need someone with as much talent as a traditional Metroid. We saw what happened last time they handed it off to people who didn't fully understand Metroid.

Square: B. Didn't look like much, but they handed off a series to Platinum Games. Handing off things to Platinum gets you a B bare minimum.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Miraculous Kaydybug on Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:07 am

I just realized NieR 2 has the same producer as Bayonetta 2

ITS LIKE THEY FUCKING READ MY MIND AND GAVE ME EXACTLY WHAT I WISHED FOR

i cant honestly rank the conferences cause NieR 2 is so much more of a highlight to me than ANYTHING ELSE that everything else gets a worse grade by default

Seriously its Taro Yoko who created my favorite video game franchise along with people who made my favorite action game and HOLY FUCK

just think a platinum game thats 20-60 hours instead of 8, and an RPG with Platinum combat AND ITS SET IN THE DRAKENGARD UNIVERSE.

I WILL NEVER BE SO HYPED FOR ANOTHER GAME EVER

Angels in anyone A permanent solution to a temporary problem
Before I'd lay me down to rest I'd throw away everything to live~

Steam
Risette 3DS 3024 6121 9950 Nin. ID GoddessOfTheSeal Pixlbit http://gunstabwounds.tumblr.com/
Miraculous Kaydybug
Sees Tetris Blocks EVERYWHERE

View user profile http://gunstabwounds.tumblr.com/stabs

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 on Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:30 am

I'd rank them like this. Not sure about grades, but I'll throw them in.

1. Sony: By far the best. Part of the fun of E3 is just being excited about stuff and seeing others that way and that trio of announcements was crazy even if two don't matter to me personally. Uncharted 4 and Horizon were by far the best things I saw at E3, so it had that going for it. And there was some other cool stuff in there. I wish I was more excited for Dreams, but it may be straying too far from the fun gamey experience of MM's other games. I don't know. Hopefully it will appeal more to me when they show it at Paris Games Week. Grade: A

2. Microsoft: A good showing. I'm still a little salty about Halo splitscreen thing like Greenman mentioned and the demo was just okay. Rare Replay looks awesome, but a pirate MMO isn't what I was hoping for from Rare's new game. And I wish they'd have shown Scalebound or Quantum Break. ReCore, Cuphead, Ashen, Gears 4, Tomb Raider, Halo, Rare Replay are all games I look forward to playing and the backwards compatibility thing was cool. Grade: B

3. Bethesda: Doom looked really great I thought and I appreciated what they were doing with Fallout and how far along it was when they showed it (too many games shown these days that are years away). Dishonored's trailer was good too. Not as much to show as other companires, but what was here was good. Grade: B

4. EA: I have come around on the open world in Mirror's Edge (more from the interviews and previews than the conference, but it still looked cool there). It won't be the same Mirror's Edge, but it still looks like a damn cool game and I appreciate some of the improvements to story and combat they are making. I also liked Unravel which looked very un-EA. The conference overall was kind of boring though. Still at least it had a couple things I liked. Grade: C+

5. Nintendo: They have games I'm looking forward to, but most of them were already announced. Too much time spent on games I feel like we knew a ton about. The whole Amiibo thing is starting to irk me. I would have liked a new AC on Wii U. But an AC party game that requires Amiibos is a bummer. The Metroid thing isn't as big a deal as people are making of it, but it didn't look very appealing either. I'm not a Star Fox guy, but that looked okay. Zelda looked cool and since the 3DS already got a proper entry, it is easy to get behind something like this. At the end of the day, they left their biggest game at home though (Zelda Wii U). And they didn't have (for me at least) an announcement to fill that hole. No Splatoon-like surprise. No Metroid. And maybe looking at things more broadly I am looking at a Wii U that will likely not get a Metroid and the possibility that it won't have an exclusive Zelda (seems like the next one could be cross gen with NX). Where the other consoles are clearly revving up, the Wii U is doing the opposite and it puts Nintendo in a tough spot. Grade: D

6. Ubisoft: South Park is a cool announcement. For Honor looks like a cool idea, but a little too online focused for me. The new Ghost Recon just looks a bit too much like a combination of their open world games and The Division, so kind of plays right into their rep for having all these samey games. The big problem with Ubi for me is I am not excited about any of their upcoming games. Heck I'm not sure if there is one I will even play. Usually they have a Far Cry or a Rayman or a Splinter Cell or something I'm excited about. Not this year. So that puts this one in last place. Grade: D

I didn't watch Square, just skimmed through for the TR stuff. I think it was a really fun E3 overall. 2015 still looks lame for me, but at least there are more games to be excited about going forward. I enjoyed seeing people freak out too (like Kay). And I love seeing devs talk about their games. Listening to the Guerrilla Games guys talk about how they've been dying to talk about this game that they've been working on for 4.5 years. One they couldn't tell their brothers and sisters about. And then getting texts about it when it was revealed. Or seeing that guy talk about Unravel. I just love that stuff. Just seeing gamers and devs excited about these games is so fun.
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

View user profile http://thetripleoption.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by SanAndreasX on Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:33 am

My impressions:

Microsoft: B. I'm still not enticed into getting a Xbox One but I can't fault MS for what it brought. Backwards compatibility is nice and something I wish the PS4 had. The games were solid.

Nintendo: C. Wasn't worth all the wrist-slitting hysteria on NeoGAF, wasn't great either. Star Fox Zero looks like something I want though, partly because it's Platinum and partly because it's Star Fox. Earthbound Beginnings was a nice little bonus. But Zelda U was a no-show. But we already knew that.

Sony: A+++++++++++++++++++++ Promising new IPs - Horizon looks pretty cool - and fanservice galore that hearkens back to the glory days of the PS1, when I was in RPG heaven. And they're actually going to release The Last Guardian.

Bethesda: A. Fallout 4 would have been my game of the show if not for Sony and Square Enix.

Square Enix: A+++++++ FF7 Remake alone would have gotten them an A+. Kingdom Hearts III. NieR (made by Platinum Games no less!) Project Setsuna looks promising. No Dragon Quest Heroes was kind of a bummer though.

Namco: A. Tales, Dark Souls, and Tekken are coming. And maybe Digimon. And Project X-Zone 2.

Xseed: B. Nothing flashy but a nice load of Nihon Falcom and Senran Kagura for PS4 is always good.

Atlus: B+ on the strength of Persona 5 alone. Personally, I think Atlus should have had Sony show it off though, to get the game more exposure.

I don't really care about EA, Activision, or Ubisoft, so I have no further comment on any of those companies. Might look at Mass Effect 4 when it comes out.

PSN: Super_King666
Nintendo: SanAndreasX
Steam: San_Andreas_X
3DS Friend Code: 2294-5129-1033
SanAndreasX
Biotic God

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher on Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:38 pm

What excites me is how both the trailer and story premise seem to be all about exploration. And after Dragon Age took the right Ubisoft open world elements, I'm excited to see how they translate Mass Effect and the new Mako into that. Because fuck the haters, the Mako is still awesome

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber on Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:08 pm

Mako reactors are not awesome, they're sucking the life right from the planet.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SanAndreasX on Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:47 pm

BretBaber wrote:Mako reactors are not awesome, they're sucking the life right from the planet.

I'm not here for a lecture. Let's just hurry.

SanAndreasX
Biotic God

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ajapam on Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:03 am

I forgot about the new Mass Effect. It looked different enough to get me interested. And the Mako is 10/10

I also liked what I saw of Fallout 4 despite not being crazy about 3. I should consider giving New Vegas a shot before that comes out

ajapam
Jill Sandwich

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher on Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:45 am

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SanAndreasX on Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:50 pm

ajapam wrote:

I also liked what I saw of Fallout 4 despite not being crazy about 3. I should consider giving New Vegas a shot before that comes out

I loved both games, but New Vegas has far better mechanics as a game than Fallout 3 does. It doesn't have as many set-pieces like Tranquility Lane but the game experience itself is a lot richer.

SanAndreasX
Biotic God

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 on Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:48 am

Here's the awards questionnaire thing we did last year minus the conference ranking since people did that already. Fill out whatever you feel like.

Top Ten for Best of Show at E3 (Base it on whatever you want)

Handheld Game of Show:

Worst Game of the Show:

Game that didn't wow you as much as everyone else:

Best Trailer:

These following awards don't have to necessarily be games, announcements of some kind are fine.

Best Hardware (could be a some VR or controller):

Platform with the Best Software Line-up Going Forward:

Best Announcement:

Biggest Surprise:

Biggest Disappointment:

Best Graphics Technology (could be a tech demo or game):
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by ajapam on Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:26 pm

TripOpt55 wrote:Here's the awards questionnaire thing we did last year minus the conference ranking since people did that already. Fill out whatever you feel like.

1. Horizon
2. Fallout 4
3. Uncharted 4
4. The Last Guardian
5. Cuphead
6. Mass Effect Andromeda
7. Dreams
8. Rare Collection (the only remaster that deserves an E3 announcement)
9. Just Cause 3
10. Star Wars Battlefront

Handheld Game of Show: That dumb/awesome Persona 4 dancing game was the only one I really cared about at E3

Worst Game of the Show: Metroid Federation Force. I'm not gonna be dumb and petition to get it cancelled but it's just not what I wanted at all

Game that didn't wow you as much as everyone else: Nier 2, because I have no clue about this series and the trailer didn't show much

Best Trailer: Horizon

These following awards don't have to necessarily be games, announcements of some kind are fine.

Best Hardware (could be a some VR or controller): Hololens

Platform with the Best Software Line-up Going Forward: Ps4 after this year, but XB1 is pretty much a lock for the best lineup of 2015

Best Announcement: The Last Guardian still exists

Biggest Surprise: Shenmue 3 (I can't believe something topped TLG here)

Biggest Disappointment: The lack of Persona 5

ajapam
Jill Sandwich

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher on Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:55 pm

TripOpt55 wrote:Here's the awards questionnaire thing we did last year minus the conference ranking since people did that already. Fill out whatever you feel like.

1. Fallout 4
2. Mass Effect: Andromeda
3. The Last Guardian
4. Rare Replay
5. Cuphead
6. Horizon
7. Star Fox Zero
8. Recore
9. Doom 4
10. Star Wars Battlefront 3

Handheld Game of Show: Zelda I guess

Worst Game of the Show: That Animal Crossing board game

Game that didn't wow you as much as everyone else: Shenmue 3. That Kickstarter when Sony's really funding it is sleazy

Best Trailer: Mass Effect

Best Hardware (could be a some VR or controller):[/b That hologram was neat. Not sure how it'll improve games, but still neat

[b]Platform with the Best Software Line-up Going Forward:
PC of course

Best Announcement: The Last Guardian is real

Biggest Surprise: Kay is excited for Black Ops 3

Biggest Disappointment: Halo 5 has no splitscreen

Horizon looked amazing graphically

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SanAndreasX on Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:29 am

1. Final Fantasy VII Remake
2. Fallout 4
3. Shenmue III
4. The Last Guardian
5. Star Fox Zero
6. Kingdom Hearts III
7. NieR
8. Horizon
9. Tales of Zestiria
10. Project Setsuna

Alternatively, replacing all 10 spots with "Final Fantasy VII Remake" would work just as well for me.

Handheld Game of Show: Project X Zone 2

Worst Game of the Show: There was probably some crappy mobile game there.

Game that didn't wow you as much as everyone else: A lot of the AAA games everybody else likes just don't wow me as much. I'm honestly not trying to be "that guy", but those games really don't do much for me.

Best Trailer: Horizon

Best Hardware (could be a some VR or controller): Pass. I won't really be impressed by VR until it progresses to the point where I can look down at my body and look just like the character I'm playing as, and that character has 1:1 movements with my own body.

Platform with the Best Software Line-up Going Forward: PS4 by miles

Best Announcement: Final Fantasy VII Remake

Biggest Surprise: Final Fantasy VII Remake, but runners-up would be Shenmue III and Earthbound Beginnings being dropped on the Virtual Console so suddenly.

Biggest Disappointment: No Zelda, no FFXV, no Persona 5. We already knew the first two would be no-shows, but Persona 5 could have made an appearance

SanAndreasX
Biotic God

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 on Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:13 am

Here are mine:

1. Uncharted 4: A Thief's End: Was really impressed with how they brought that openness they showed in the PSX demo over to a setpiece. I like the sound of having some exploration segments with the jeep too. And in general I was astounded by all the smallest details in the demo (like the sandbags slowing deflating hence deteriorating his cover). Also Elena!!!
2. Horizon: Zero Dawn: The concept, world and graphics were just... wow! The main character's design was amazing. And the combat looked fantastic. I love how fast and fluid the character movement looks. She isn't locked to a strafe which gives you better camera control. And there seemed to be a lot of strategy in taking down the robot.
3. Mirror’s Edge Catalyst: It isn't how I would have made the sequel, but it looks damn cool anyway. They clearly know that Mirror's Edge is all about movement and that is their focus still. It is different so I'm not sure if it can reach the heights of the first one, but it still sounds like it will be really fun to run around and find good routes in the city. And they are improving a lot of other things too. No loading. No guns and combat in general looks better. A better story. Better presentation.
4. The Legend of Zelda: Triforce Heroes: I didn't think much of this with the original announcement, but watching people play demos and have so much fun really helped sell me on it. Now I'm really looking forward to it.
5. The Last Guardian: What they showed in the demo wasn't mindblowing. Not much different than we saw before either. But I think this sort of slow-paced puzzle solving combined with the unique character relationship is still so original I found myself super excited about it again. I would have waited to announce this until its release was more imminent though.
6. Unravel: Super charming. Looks like a lot of cinematic 2D platformers like Limbo or something but with a lot more depth in the gameplay due to the yarn mechanic and the physics puzzles. Super surprising to see at an EA conference too.
7. Cuphead: The artstyle is amazing and it looks like hardcore shooting fun.
8. ReCore: Only a CG trailer, but I was really into the characters and concept. Sounds like it is an action/adventure with puzzles and platforming based on interviews too. Also the kind of thing I'd like to see from MS. Expanding their portfolio.
9. Ashen: Just another cool looking indie title. Love the graphics, the world and the hint of adventure in the first trailer.
10. Doom: My favorite FPS from the show. Looked fast and fun and different than a lot of others out there now.

Handheld Game of Show: Triforce Heroes

Best Trailer: Honestly can't think of a really great trailer (as in non-demo). Maybe Dishonored II.

Best Hardware (could be a some VR or controller): I guess Hololens, but this stuff really just isn't for me.

Platform with the Best Software Line-up Going Forward: PS4

Best Announcement: To go a little outside the box I will say the Xbox Backwards Compatibility thing.

Biggest Surprise: Just how taken I was with Horizon. I thought the leaked details/art looked neat, but I didn't expect to be so wowed by it.

Biggest Disappointment: Maybe that Nintendo didn't have that one big game announcement that I was hoping for. With no Zelda to show, they needed something big to announce/show and they didn't have that.

Best Graphics Technology (could be a tech demo or game): Uncharted 4
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Motinator on Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:16 am

I only watched the Sony press conference.

I literally gasped when they started off with the Last Guardian. This was the first E3 where I never consciously gave thought to the fact that it might be shown, and sure enough...

I also really liked the Horizon demo. Yay for a cool female character. I thought she was talking to herself a lot. I enjoyed it in the trailer, but I wonder if in the real game it will work as well or if it will get annoying.

And of course, Uncharted looks freakin' amazing
Motinator
Has a Bad Case of Headcrabs

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube on Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:12 am

I'm hoping the narration in Horizon was purely for the sake of the demo. My girlfriend noticed her lips weren't moving which lends credence to that.

Steam: Krubixcube         3DS Friend Code: 1950-9553-1102         PSN:KrubixCube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 on Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:00 am

volvocrusher wrote:And the outrage over that Metroid game is a little absurd. It's clearly just a smaller eshop game that doesn't need someone with as much talent as a traditional Metroid. We saw what happened last time they handed it off to people who didn't fully understand Metroid.

I just found out who was doing this game and I wouldn't mind giving Next Level games a shot at a full on Metroid game on 3DS perhaps. I thought they did a good job with other properties like Punchout and Luigi's Mansion (though I realize perhaps I liked the latter more than most). It is certainly no more ridiculous than giving Retro a shot when they first did Prime. And just leave the next console game for Retro.

Having said that I'm not real savvy to how the concept for this Metroid came about, so perhaps Next Level pushed for this sort of title specifically.

Also if anyone didn't fully understand Metroid in Other M, it was Sakamoto. If I recall correctly, he was the one who did the story and he also poo-pooed other devs' ideas to add other control schemes in like one with a Wiimote and nunchuk (which I think would have helped a lot). Hell I think the lead designers were people from the GBA Metroid games. I mean Team Ninja was involved, so they deserve some blame, but this was a joint project. Reading about development always gave me the idea that Nintendo was more to blame, but I guess it is really hard to know how it all went down.
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher on Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:03 am

Interesting, didn't know some of that with Other M or NLG. I'm still unsure whether that company could do it right, their track record is pretty hit or miss. But the hits ARE all Nintendo games, so maybe it has something more to do with how Ninty does business.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top