The Play Station
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Top 5 Gaming Goals For 2018 (with 2016 and 2017 also mixed in)
by BretBaber Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:47 pm

» Now Playing
by volvocrusher Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:27 pm

» General TV Show Discussion
by volvocrusher Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:48 pm

» First Half of 2018 Questionnaire (GotY So Far, etc.)
by volvocrusher Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:35 pm

March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Top Five Tuesday | Top Five Games Outside Your Comfort Zone

+9
avidacridjam
Krubixcube
Captain N
ajapam
TripOpt55
SanAndreasX
volvocrusher
pspiddy
Miraculous Kaydybug
13 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Top Five Tuesday | Top Five Games Outside Your Comfort Zone - Page 2 Empty Re: Top Five Tuesday | Top Five Games Outside Your Comfort Zone

Post by volvocrusher Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:26 pm

I'm definitely in the ST camp too. Both the train and boat were awful IMO, but unlike PH which had lazy dungeons and areas, ST's areas were good with excellent dungeons. Some of the best dungeons in the series though. And like Trip I thought Zelda was awesome to have as a companion, especially since she was one of the better reincarnations of Zelda.
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Top Five Tuesday | Top Five Games Outside Your Comfort Zone - Page 2 Empty Re: Top Five Tuesday | Top Five Games Outside Your Comfort Zone

Post by Miraculous Kaydybug Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:56 pm

I'm in the camp of i don't want Zelda games without traditional controls. I couldn't play PH or the Wii TP at all it just felt awkward to me, and before anyone tries to convince me. No I won't play Skyward Sword.
Miraculous Kaydybug
Miraculous Kaydybug
Sees Tetris Blocks EVERYWHERE

http://gunstabwounds.tumblr.com/stabs

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:57 pm

Skyward Sword sucked anyways. Well, more like the second half of it sucked. The first half was actually good because the areas weren't getting recycled and the motion controls weren't asking you to be more specific than they could handle.
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Miraculous Kaydybug Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:01 pm

I'd probably quit well before the second half. Zelda's just one of those series i don't want Nintendo's gimmicks in regardless of well they are used
Miraculous Kaydybug
Miraculous Kaydybug

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:11 pm

Don't get me wrong, I loved both games. I give the nod to Phantom Hourglass only because I hated the train. Loved both games, would rate both very high. Let's just say Spirit Tracks was a "train wreck"!
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:08 am

I just got sick of using the touchpad...like it worked well enough but my big fat hands blocked the screen and I'd rather just look at the screen.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:23 am

I honestly thought the touch screen controls worked extremely well. My only complaint was that your hand would get in the way like Twolf mentioned. Though despite how much I liked the touch screen controls, I wouldn't want them again. And given the 3DS' larger upper screen, I doubt we'd ever get one again.

What held those games back for me was just the lack of a proper explorable overworld. Breaking those games up the way they did really hurt them. The train was particularly bad in this regard because it felt so restricting to how you could travel.

I really did dig having Zelda around though in ST. I mean just having Zelda with you for most of one of these games is so cool. Plus, she was hilarious. One of my favorite versions of Zelda (the character) for sure.

And the Fire and Sand Temples in ST were so good.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

http://thetripleoption.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:17 am

I would prefer the game wasn't touch, but out of all of the touch games I have played it was by far one of the best ones and most enjoyable. I always prefer normal controls to touch and motion, but this game was fun enough to hold me over until the end of both.
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:19 am

Honestly, Elite Beat Agents was the first game I played on the DS that I thought "touch screen technology...FUCK YEAH!". The rest it's been like "that's cool I guess?"
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Miraculous Kaydybug Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:11 pm

Krubixcube wrote:Honestly, Elite Beat Agents was the first game I played on the DS that I thought "touch screen technology...FUCK YEAH!". The rest it's been like "that's cool I guess?"

Same for me and TWEWY really. I never played any other game that actually did them well imo.
Miraculous Kaydybug
Miraculous Kaydybug

Back to top Go down

Post by ajapam Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:39 pm

I always thought the touch screen worked pretty well. It's been used poorly, of course, but on average I think it's been much better than any other gimmick
ajapam
ajapam
Jill Sandwich

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:08 am

I still haven't put anything down for this topic. All I can think of it maybe Alan Wake for games I feel are kind of story-first affairs. And maybe Burnout Paradise for non-Kart racers. Though I feel like I enjoy a few games in both those areas. It seems the genres I don't play, I just don't play (rpgs and strategy I guess).
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by SanAndreasX Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:23 pm

The only touch screen games I like are the DS Zeldas, but I'd honestly rather have conventional controls for those. The stylus-guided boomerang was pretty cool though. Other than that, I hate touch screen games. It's why I don't game on cell phones or tablets.
SanAndreasX
SanAndreasX
Biotic God

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:41 pm

Touch screen controls aren't my favorite but I think they're better than Most people give them credit for. Kirby Canvas Curse/Mass Attack, Elite Beat Agents, and Meteos are all some of my favorite DS games buy wouldn't have worked without them. They're a huge step above motion controls, it's just easy to put them on the same level web shit like swiping for melee in Killzone and Uncharted on Vita exist.
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by SanAndreasX Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:51 pm

My favorite DS games were the Dragon Quest games, and those games pretty much ignored the touch screen functions. I'd rather have a straight-up controller for games. Trying to play conventional games on a tablet is a nightmare, and tablet fare like Angry Birds, Cut the Rope, or Fruit Ninja bores the shit out of me.
SanAndreasX
SanAndreasX
Biotic God

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:56 pm

I think that's more because of the nature of those games rather than the controls though. If iOS had buttons you'd be getting games exactly like it with regular controls just because they're a buck. Kirby and Meteos were actually designed to be played like regular games, the touch screen didn't change that.
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain N Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:18 pm

I still haven't put up anything for this, not sure if any of my choices count since I'm pretty open when it comes to games, so I'll just put up games I played for the first time with different gameplay I never experienced:

M-Rated Games: Conker's Bad Fur Day- Believe it or not but I played this game in an age I wasn't supposed to yet, but I'm sure everyone has played a game like this in an age they weren't supposed to. Heck I think my bro was 5 or 6 years old when we played it. This game was a huge departure from the colorful platformers I was used to. It was so violent, well not really but that was something you normally wouldn't see with cartoon characters in a game. It also mixed up the gameplay with different playstyles depending on the area you were in. The multiplayer was also really fun and addictive, War, Beach, Heist, heck all the modes were good.

Non Kart Racers: NFS Hot Pursuit 2- I always liked Mario Kart, it's my favorite kart racer. F-Zero is tied. My brother one time got a NFS game and I really wasn't interested because it didn't have power-ups and stuff. One time I was bored, and out of curiosity I decided to give the game a go. I was hooked, I loved racing in real world cars and loved being chased by the cops. I think I've played almost every NFS game after HP2. My favorites are Most Wanted, the first one and this gens Hot Pursuit.

FPS: Metroid Prime 3- Sure I played Golden Eye during it's golden age but that was when I was a kid. I was 18 when I first got MP3, I never played a shooter since so I didn't know what I was getting myself into when I got the game. It was also the first Metroid game I ever played so I was really curious. I couldn't put the game down afterwards, I became addicted to it. It was just awesome. The only thing I didn't like was not trying out the 2 previous Prime games on the Gamecube.

RPG: Pokemon- I was a huge Pokemon nut back in elementary school, it was around the time of it's huge popularity. I liked the cartoon and I learned that there was games based on Pokemon. I wanted a game but I needed a Gameboy. I got a Gameboy and a copy of Blue version for xmas, I was excited to try it out and I was expecting it to be just like the cartoon. I played it and thought, this isn't like the show, this was better! As I played I got more and more addicted, I never left without my Gameboy everytime I had to go out, like to a neighbors house. I've been stuck with the series since, and still think that it's the best rpg series ever.

Action/Adventure: Zelda WW- I never knew what kind of games the Zelda series was. All I knew about them at the time was people saying how awesome OoT was. I decided to give the series a go, and WW was coming out soon so I thought to give it a go. I'm glad I did, I never played a game like it, it was different from what I normally played, and in a way, out of my comfort zone because I mostly played platformers. It's such an amazing game that holds up very well today.

Not sure if these games cont, but in a way they do because games outside your comfort zone are like games you never played or thought you'd like. I tried to have a more varied list but this is all I have for now.
Captain N
Captain N
Volgin's Hand on my Crotch

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:43 am

You have an aversion to M-Rated games Ngamer?

Huh. I did not know that.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Miraculous Kaydybug Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:53 am

Heh I rarely play anything rated below T. The only E rated games I own are like golf, racing and a few platform games but thats a bout it
Miraculous Kaydybug
Miraculous Kaydybug

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:07 am

I call bullshit on ngamer somehow including The Wind Waker in his list. I think the dude just likes to make up any excuse to bring the game up.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:12 am

TripOpt55 wrote:I call bullshit on ngamer somehow including The Wind Waker in his list. I think the dude just likes to make up any excuse to bring the game up.

I mean, I think Wind Waker is one of the greatest things ever, but all this looking for any excuse to shower it with endless praise is getting annoying. I don't even do that for Mass Effect and try to be funny when I pull the opposite for Assassin's Creed 3 at least.
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by ajapam Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:24 am

I always thought you were into all arcade racers, N. Now that I think about it, I'm not sure how I got that idea. But yes, Hot Pursuit 2 was great
ajapam
ajapam
Jill Sandwich

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2