The Play Station
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Top 5 Gaming Goals For 2018 (with 2016 and 2017 also mixed in)
by BretBaber Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:47 pm

» Now Playing
by volvocrusher Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:27 pm

» General TV Show Discussion
by volvocrusher Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:48 pm

» First Half of 2018 Questionnaire (GotY So Far, etc.)
by volvocrusher Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:35 pm

March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Top 5 3-D Beat-em-up games

+4
volvocrusher
BretBaber
TripOpt55
SanAndreasX
8 posters

Go down

Top 5 3-D Beat-em-up games Empty Top 5 3-D Beat-em-up games

Post by SanAndreasX Sun Nov 02, 2014 1:48 am

This genre includes games of the Devil May Cry/Bayonetta/God of War ilk. I did this one in honor of Bayonetta 2 and because there has been a decent proliferation of these games. May also include stuff like the 6th and 7th gen 3-D Castlevanias, as another example.
SanAndreasX
SanAndreasX
Biotic God

Back to top Go down

Top 5 3-D Beat-em-up games Empty Re: Top 5 3-D Beat-em-up games

Post by TripOpt55 Sun Nov 02, 2014 2:40 pm

Good idea San. I'm going to think on this some more, but it is a fun topic.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

http://thetripleoption.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber Sun Nov 02, 2014 4:18 pm

Other than God of War games, I don't usually play this genre too much. Do the Batman games count as these?
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

Post by SanAndreasX Sun Nov 02, 2014 5:03 pm

My top 5.

1. Bayonetta 2 - everything the first game was on steroids.
2. Bayonetta 1 - The previous record-holder, loved its incredibly over-the-top combat action.
3. Ninja Gaiden: Black - Tomonobu Itagaki at his best. The series as a whole has been pretty good, but this was his best effort, and it still shines in the different moves and movements you can do.
4. El-Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron - This was a game done by another former Capcom/Clover alumnus with a great cel-shaded artstyle, a lot of spiritual themes and a unique battle system for the genre. It flew more under the radar than other games because it was published by a small and now-defunct publisher (UTV Ignition) although the creator still holds the rights to the series and says he's looking into making a sequel for 8th-gen consoles.
5. Lollipop Chainsaw - on a technical basis, this is the one of the weaker games in this genre, but I loved the personality of it enough to make up for technical shortcomings which ultimately weren't that big of a deal to me.
SanAndreasX
SanAndreasX
Biotic God

Back to top Go down

Post by SanAndreasX Sun Nov 02, 2014 5:44 pm

BretBaber wrote:Other than God of War games, I don't usually play this genre too much.  Do the Batman games count as these?  

Eh, since I mentioned Castlevania, I really don't see why not.
SanAndreasX
SanAndreasX
Biotic God

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:26 pm

1. Batman: Arkham Asylum- Liked it's more rhythmic combat more than AC's more button mashy kind. This game's great at getting me in a zen like state whenever I'm trying to use every item in a perfect combo.

2. Metal Gear Rising- Above Bayonetta because I like its parrying more than Bayo's dodge. It feels REALLY rewarding to parry ten hits in a row.

3. Bayonetta 2- Just some good, fun over the top combat with a lot of nice depth to it.

4. Ninja Gaiden- I have a hard time getting through these games because they're so tough, but I but love all the depth they put into the combat

5. God of War- Not the deepest or best designed of these games, but satisfying as hell.
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by ajapam Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:45 pm

SanAndreasX wrote:My top 5.

4. El-Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron - This was a game done by another former Capcom/Clover alumnus with a great cel-shaded artstyle, a lot of spiritual themes and a unique battle system for the genre. It flew more under the radar than other games because it was published by a small and now-defunct publisher (UTV Ignition) although the creator still holds the rights to the series and says he's looking into making a sequel for 8th-gen consoles.

I always wanted to pick this game up. Judging by the demo, the combat couldn't match some of the better games in the genre but the environments were incredibly gorgeous
ajapam
ajapam
Jill Sandwich

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:52 pm

It is tough to compare the two groups in here. Things like God of War and Batman: AA are more well-rounded experiences to me than stuff like Ninja Gaiden or Bayonetta. They are more action/adventure games than pure action. But NG/Bayo are miles ahead in terms of combat, but generally don't do other things as well.

I'd say Ninja Gaiden 1 (Sigma or Black) is my favorite over all. It's style of combat is my favorite. Really tough and aggressive AI, more of a defensive focus. I also think compared to Bayo and NG2 and other pure action titles it has a better level structure... or I like it better at least. This series has been downhill since. NG2 has a great battle system, but lots of issues elsewhere. Obliteration Techniques and the Scythe are awesome though. NG3 is a straight up disaster.

God of War is probably my favorite overall series here. 2 being my favorite. Not only do I like its gameplay balance (combat is fun enough and puzzles and platforming are eventually pretty solid), but I prefer the Greek Mythology backdrop to the other games discussed here.

I had fun with all three Batman games. AA is definitely my favorite for its level structure. The combat is certainly fun in them, but I prefer stuff with enemies that feel threatening. I really dug learning about a lot of Batman stuff through the game. This was the rare game where reading unlocked bios and stuff like that I really enjoyed.

I love Bayonetta's core combat, but most everything around it isn't really my cup of tea. I am liking Bayonetta 2 much better so far though and seems to have cut the fat a bit. Once I finish that up I will try and make a proper top five. I wonder if I'm forgetting something from the genre.

I don't know if I'll ever get back into MGS so I may just cave and play MGR which I'm guessing I'll enjoy more.

I think DMC is really good, but never finished any of the original games because I didn't play games quite as much back when they released. DmC isn't as good as any of these others. I'd like to go back and play through all of 3 and maybe 4 one day.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by avidacridjam Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:51 pm

1. God of War
2. Batman: Arkham City
3. Bayonetta
4. DmC: Devil May Cry
5. Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance

HM: Onimusha: Warlords
avidacridjam
avidacridjam
Beary Bad Joker

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by TripOpt55 Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:42 pm

I forgot about Mark of Kri. That game had a great art style. Cool finishers too.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Miraculous Kaydybug Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:50 pm

heres a list might expand on it later.

1. Bayonetta 2
2. Drakengard 3
3. No More Heroes 2
4. Hyrule Warriors
5. Devil May Cry 3

Honrable mention goes to Senran Kagura Shinovi Versus because it is actually pretty good as a beat-em up despite its heavy fan service. As well as the original Drakengard cause it's one of the best experiences in gaming, but its one of the worst fucking games ever.
Miraculous Kaydybug
Miraculous Kaydybug
Sees Tetris Blocks EVERYWHERE

http://gunstabwounds.tumblr.com/stabs

Back to top Go down

Post by SanAndreasX Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:48 pm

I prefer pure action with this kind of game myself, but I wouldn't mind seeing a full-on Zelda-style action-adventure-RPG game done by Platinum Games. Hence I stuck with pure action titles. I've also been playing a lot of musou-type games like Dynasty Warriors 8 and Hyrule Warriors and enjoying those, but again chose to strictly high-octane action games like Bayonetta.

I also enjoy the Yakuza series. Yakuza 3 and 4 were among my favorites on PS4. I didn't include them here because they're more deliberately-paced games and they're more like Grand Theft Auto or RPGs than like Bayonetta.

SanAndreasX
SanAndreasX
Biotic God

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down