The Play Station
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Top 5 Gaming Goals For 2018 (with 2016 and 2017 also mixed in)
by BretBaber Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:47 pm

» Now Playing
by volvocrusher Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:27 pm

» General TV Show Discussion
by volvocrusher Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:48 pm

» First Half of 2018 Questionnaire (GotY So Far, etc.)
by volvocrusher Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:35 pm

March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Movies You've Watched Recently

+7
ajapam
chocobot
volvocrusher
TheMatt
Krubixcube
pspiddy
avidacridjam
11 posters

Page 9 of 17 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 13 ... 17  Next

Go down

Movies You've Watched Recently - Page 9 Empty Re: Movies You've Watched Recently

Post by volvocrusher Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:16 am

Finally saw Iron Man 3. Really good movie. Not great but I had fun watching it and know I'll rewatch it several times. Overall I'd rank the movies
CA2> GotG> Avengers> Thor> IM1> CA1> IM3> Thor2> IM2> Hulk.
CA2 to CA1 I all consider great, the next two I'd say are really good while the last two are meh.
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Movies You've Watched Recently - Page 9 Empty Re: Movies You've Watched Recently

Post by volvocrusher Mon May 11, 2015 12:53 pm

Forgot to post this earlier, but Avengers 2 was great. If you're not super into comics you may get confused or a little annoyed by how much it sets up for future movies, but everything still has a place in the story, no matter how small. A bunch of funny moments, amazing action, and a fun plot about the team falling apart.
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Tue May 12, 2015 1:44 am

I saw Avengers...thought it was OK. Reeked of Joss Whedon duking it out with producers but oh welly.

Booked tickets to see Mad Max on Friday.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by ajapam Wed May 13, 2015 12:46 pm

I really enjoyed Avengers 2. Felt like each character got some good material. Better than the first movie in my opinion, though I wasn't crazy about Ultron as a villain. The concept was good but I found his jokes kind of annoying. I'd rank it as my second favorite in the universe behind Guardians of the Galaxy. Still need to see Captain America 2, though
ajapam
ajapam
Jill Sandwich

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Wed May 13, 2015 5:44 pm

I love love loved the scene where they try to lift Thor's hammer though. I'm a weirdo who could watch near an entire movie of scenes like that.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Wed May 13, 2015 8:08 pm

I agree completely with you. Watching them fight together is fun, but the real reason I love both Avengers movies is to see how they interact in the downtime. Best part was
Spoiler:
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Thu May 14, 2015 12:36 am

to your spoiler: ...was the best part of that movie. I laughed my ass off, perhaps more than was appropriate.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Thu May 14, 2015 12:57 am

Everyone in the theater laughed their ass off at that. It's so subtle, but I think that's part of why it's so funny.
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by avidacridjam Fri May 15, 2015 7:08 pm

Mad Max: Fury Road is so astonishing that new superlatives will have to be invented to describe it. What a wild fucking ride!

If you haven't seen the previous films, it won't matter. Just see it on the biggest screen that you can. The post-converted 3D was so well done. I'm so happy that this film not only happened, that it not only met my expectations but exceeded them.
avidacridjam
avidacridjam
Beary Bad Joker

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Fri May 15, 2015 7:49 pm

I agree with that statement. Mad Max: Fury Road was excellent on all counts.

I didn't see it in 3D but it MUST be seen in a theater, 3D or 2D whichever you prefer.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by ajapam Sat May 16, 2015 9:50 pm

I also agree on Fury Road. It's the best of the series and the most inventive action movie I've seen in quite a while. It's even more ridiculous than Furious 7 and nowhere near as dumb.

It also has the most "metal" thing ever:
ajapam
ajapam
Jill Sandwich

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Sun May 17, 2015 12:47 pm

I think it helps prove my point that practical stunts just elevates a movie into something special. So many reasons why that could be beyond the obvious but I was REALLY invested in the action despite so little traditional "plot".
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by ajapam Sun May 17, 2015 4:56 pm

I've seen some people say it had no plot but I feel like it told you just enough and did a good job of letting you piece together a lot of background info. As someone who was never terribly invested in the universe of the series, I think this one built its world really well
ajapam
ajapam
Jill Sandwich

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Sun May 17, 2015 5:32 pm

I say it had little "traditional" plot but it had a lot of plot visually with its costumes and vehicles and cool world building stuff.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by ajapam Fri May 22, 2015 8:16 pm

Finally watched 28 Days Later because I'm so with the times. Kind of outdated and silly at times ("Infected with what?" "RAGE!") but I felt like it mostly held up alright. I was expecting more of a horror movie but what I got was basically a funnier movie version of The Last of Us. I can't complain about that. If I had seen it back when it was popular and zombies weren't in every other game or movie, I would probably like it a lot more.

Also watched Snowpiercer. I feel pretty much the same about this. It's a solid movie but kind of unnecessarily silly at times. I really enjoyed the steam car scene though
ajapam
ajapam
Jill Sandwich

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Sat May 23, 2015 1:07 am

I watched Who's Camus Anyway (from Japan, 2005...ish). I really liked it, not a movie for everyone and I wouldn't even necessarily watch it again but there's just...something about it that stuck with me. Fantastic final sequence too, really cleverly edited.

Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Fri May 29, 2015 2:19 am

Kung Fury delivers a much better experience in half an hour than every other movie this year has or well in their full run time. It is free on Steam. Go watch it.
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber Fri May 29, 2015 10:09 am

I just got back from Universal Studios, Florida. So that means very soon I'm about to watch all 3 Jurassic Parks in time for the new one, Jaws, and E.T. Mainly went because we really wanted to see the Harry Potter parks and they were absolutely amazing. Felt like you were in Diagon Alley and Hogmeade.
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Sun Jun 14, 2015 3:09 am

Mad Max: Fury Road was a fucking trip. Amazing movie, can't think of anything I'd change or didn't work. Would be my favorite this year so far no contest if Kung Fury wasn't the most amazing thing we never got in the 80's
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Sun Jun 14, 2015 6:06 pm

It's weird when me and greenie agree on best movie of the year O_o
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by ajapam Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:27 am

I saw Inside Out. Really fun and imaginative movie. It feels like a return to form for Pixar. One scene in particular is one of the coolest things they've ever done. I couldn't relate to the main plot very much though, so Up reigns supreme. If I was younger I'd probably like it a lot more
ajapam
ajapam
Jill Sandwich

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:32 am

It Follows was friggin' great. A bit late to see it since it never came to Japan but I really liked it (a few CG missteps aside). But what a simple premise and great execution.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:33 am

Watched Dragonball Z: Battle of the Gods. Villain was really weird, but fun. Movie felt pretty cheesy, but I enjoyed it. More excited for Resurrection of F though. Love me some Frieza.
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:25 am

Saw Inside Out - definitely felt like a return to form for Pixar (minus the short which I thought was one of their worst but that's beside the point). Nice to see them do something original for a change. Hope they continue doing it.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by avidacridjam Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:39 am

Kung Fury

An approximation of 80's cinema/tv/pop culture executed with modern sensibilities and an approach not unlike Robert Rodriguez's Grindhouse and Machete films, I found this easy on the eyes but ultimately underwhelming. Everyone/thing in it and everything that happens to them is a reference to something else so it quickly becomes pointless; it's just one thing happening after another for the sake of it happening. It's an internet meme stretched out to 30 minutes, self-aware but also weirdly insincere and about as subtle as being bludgeoned to death with a sledgehammer.

Jurassic World

An efficiently entertaining sequel that works despite jettisoning the warmth and wonder of Speilberg's Jurassic Park. This sequel gives you unremarkable yet sturdy foundation in terms of character development and set-up before unleashing hell, which it does very well. Among the failures are the villains: the Indominous Rex didn't inspire awe or genuine terror and the coup led by Vincent D'Onofrio's character (such as it was) feels muddled and lacking of any importance or necessity.

I liked Chris Pratt's "raptor-whisperer" despite the fact that he's ultimately another variation on a macho-asshole type. Bryce Dallas Howard manages to keep her dignity with an underwritten role. I found the kids (Ty Simpkins and Nick Robinson) quite charming. Great to see B.D. Wong again. All of the dino attack sequences are impressively shot and intense: the pterodactyl attack on the crowds, the gyrosphere sequence and the climactic smackdown.

It does what it sets out to do very well without being mean-spirited and with a reverence for the first film. Too bad that it doesn't feel like enough.

Guardians of the Galaxy

Rewatched this over July 4 weekend with my mother and sister. Didn't know if they'd like it but they did. The key? Groot. They love Groot. Who doesn't?

Jaws

Also watched on July 4 weekend. Still amazing after 40 years.
avidacridjam
avidacridjam
Beary Bad Joker

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:31 am

My uncle was in town and wanted to see it so even though I haven't seen a Terminator before it, I saw Genisys this weekend. I'd give a movie a C- and my experience an A- (my uncle was making quips in an Arnold voice the whole time. Amazing). The twists are actually really good if you haven't seen them spoiled by the trailer, but overall it was just standard action movie stuff.

Watched the original Terminator after for the first time. Awesome movie, but not what I expected. Thought it would be some giant sci-fy epic with time travel, but it was more of a slasher movie. A great slasher movie with an amazing villain, but just surprising how low key it is.

Interesting juxtaposition: The original starts off very slow with little information while Genisys gives a giant information dump in a big dumb (and pretty fun) action scene. They both bring you to the exact same place when it's all said and done, but do it in really different ways. Their endings are pretty night and day too. Genisys wraps everything in a neat bow except what is by far the most interesting mystery to the plot while the original shows just how much Sarah's changed and how this isn't happily ever after, but a new beginning.

Also saw Ted this weekend. Laugh to groan ratio was about 1 to 1. Would get a C-, but it had a Tick reference so I gave it a C. Because the Tick is fucking awesome.
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:11 am

Forgot to post this earlier this week, but Ant-Man was great. Tons of fun while the smaller scales were refreshing after all this save the country/planet/galaxy/universe that's been Marvel phase 2. It's set up like a heist movie which works wonderfully for it, with Michael Douglas and Michael Peña giving especially great performances. In fact, I'd rank it second only to GotG for origin stories in the franchise and fourth overall (after Caps 2, GotG, and Avengers 1 in that order).
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:06 pm

I watched John Wick last night and it was a lot of fun. Really great action sequences. He does some damn cool stuff. A lot of familiar faces popped up in it too.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

http://thetripleoption.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by avidacridjam Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:39 pm

I rewatched John Wick as well via HBO On Demand. It's such a smart, solid action film.
avidacridjam
avidacridjam
Beary Bad Joker

Back to top Go down

Post by ajapam Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:58 pm

I watched Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans. This movie is seriously underrated. I'm a fan of Nicolas Cage. He takes a lot of bad roles but he always seems to have fun with his job. This movie uses him perfectly
ajapam
ajapam
Jill Sandwich

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 17 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 13 ... 17  Next