The Play Station
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Top 5 Gaming Goals For 2018 (with 2016 and 2017 also mixed in)
by BretBaber Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:47 pm

» Now Playing
by volvocrusher Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:27 pm

» General TV Show Discussion
by volvocrusher Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:48 pm

» First Half of 2018 Questionnaire (GotY So Far, etc.)
by volvocrusher Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:35 pm

March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Movies You've Watched Recently

+7
ajapam
chocobot
volvocrusher
TheMatt
Krubixcube
pspiddy
avidacridjam
11 posters

Page 5 of 17 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11 ... 17  Next

Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Movies You've Watched Recently - Page 5 Empty Re: Movies You've Watched Recently

Post by volvocrusher Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:27 am

Haven't watched too much of Arrow, but the Flash pilot was a lot of fun. Flawed, but fun. Reminded me of the first Spider-Man movie in a few ways
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Movies You've Watched Recently - Page 5 Empty Re: Movies You've Watched Recently

Post by Krubixcube Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:57 pm

I don't know where to put this but there's a new blu ray of My Darling Clementine which makes me a little excited.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by ajapam Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:09 am

Went out with some friends to see Fury. I really enjoyed this movie. Tanks shoot things, nazis die, etc. Liked most of the battle scenes, too, although the final battle could've maybe been a little shorter. Occasionally it stumbles a bit and drifts into macho war fantasy territory, but the human element is never very far away.
ajapam
ajapam
Jill Sandwich

Back to top Go down

Post by ajapam Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:20 am

Watched Planet of the Apes. I see why it's such an iconic movie but it's a bit clunky now and definitely suffers from pre-2001 Sci-fi syndrome. Came out a month earlier and feels years older. Still, I'm glad I watched it and it increased my appreciation for the Simpsons even more at the same time (literally every time a character referred to Dr Zeus I thought of that scene)
ajapam
ajapam
Jill Sandwich

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:52 am

I think it holds up pretty well, but you're right, it's not quite as timeless as 2001 is (I know guys, shut up). 2001's getting a re-release too...and I'm not there. Very upset about that
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:56 pm

I'll take Apes over 2001 any day. Sure, the sci-fy elements aren't as well thought out, but the premise is apes evolving within the span of a couple thousand years to be the dominate species. I can forgive them for overlooking a few things.
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by avidacridjam Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:06 pm

Apes is fantastic. I think 2001 is better but Apes is no slouch whatsoever in terms of thought-provoking sci-fi.

Finally watched Godzilla yesterday. Very impressed. I expected some eye-rolling melodrama from the Aaron Johnson and Elizabeth Olsen characters (like some talked about), but I thought they did just fine. I liked the old-school, slow-burn approach to it.
avidacridjam
avidacridjam
Beary Bad Joker

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:14 pm

When I say not as well thought out, I mean more that Apes has a couple plot holes concerning its sci-fy rules. How thought provoking the themes and message behind it is fantastic.
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by ajapam Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:46 pm

I didn't really intend to turn this into an Apes vs 2001 discussion. I just thought it was weird how two classic Sci-fi movies made at the basically the same time almost feel like they're from different eras.
ajapam
ajapam
Jill Sandwich

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:19 pm

Oh yeah, when I'm talking about apes holding up I mean some of the effects and the look, but I think as a story and the ideas in it hold up really well. 2001 is more my cup of tea, and I think visually it holds up a little better but I think arguing the two against each other is like saying "THIS MAGNIFICENT STATUE IS SO MUCH BETTER THAN THAT MAGNIFICENT STATUE!" They're both magnificent.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:33 pm

Watched Cabin in the Woods today. Enjoyed it, it knew how bizarre its twists were and embraced them, making for a pretty fun movie.
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:47 pm

I like how the one guy died from the merman that he so desperately wanted. Being a big Joss Whedon fan, it's kind of bizarre how that one totally slipped my mind to watch today.

Yesterday I watched Hocus Pocus. Today I watched 3 episodes of Buffy which were Halloween, Fear Itself, and Hush. Also watched 3 movies and they were Night of the Living Dead, Nightmare on Elm Street 2, and Leprechaun. Going to go and watch Halloween as well. Depending on how tired I am, I may watch Phantasm 1 as well. It's been a festive Halloween day for the Babers.
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:43 am

Since all the movie buffs congregate here I figured I would post this up here:

COOL ALBUM OF BLOWN UP AWESOME CINEMA STILLS
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMatt Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:05 am

I saw Nightcrawler the other day... pretty sweet movie. Jake G was amazing in it. He plays a really good creep. It's not a movie I'd probably ever see again, but I'm glad I saw it. Was very interesting.

I finally got around to seeing XMen-Days of Future Past. I liked it... but I felt that there was a bit too much going on at times. And seeing it after playing Destiny was a little jarring. Dinklage talks about guardians during one scene and I was just waiting for him to start scanning something.
TheMatt
TheMatt
Cigar-chomping Dirty Old Man

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:27 pm

Saw Big Hero 6. Fun movie with a really well done theme of coping with loss. And Baymax is a fantastic character, everything about him from his animations to one liners is hilarious.
Other characters were hit or miss. Kid did everything he needed to, the older guys were funny, but one of the girls was a little bland while the other felt like they were trying too hard to make a tough girl (she even has a catchphrase, "Woman up" which they do not handle well). Still wouldn't call either of them bad characters, just meh. At least all of their powers were fun.

Also the short Feast before it was worth the $5 alone. Any dog lover needs to watch that.
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:19 pm

I really like that Disney has kept the short film before a film tradition alive. I wish more live action films (in any genre) would do that. Would be a great way to introduce the public to new filmmakers too.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:48 pm

Horror movies especially could do something cool with it. You can do a lot in five minutes that wouldn't work with an hour and a half.
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Sat Nov 15, 2014 4:23 am

We don't always agree on movie stuff but I 100% agree with what you just said.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:39 am

My favorite's Starlord cause Chris Pratt.
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by avidacridjam Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:05 am

Finally acquired that alternate copy of the movie, pspiddy? Wink
avidacridjam
avidacridjam
Beary Bad Joker

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:14 am

pspiddy wrote:I still don't get why I don't get a digital copy of the theatrical release with my confirmed pre-order. Confirm my payment, send me the blu-ray later, and give me my digital shit now. Like kickstarter but I'll actually get the promised product.

Yeah, count me in that "anti-piracy measures only hurt the majority of purchasers" category. And fuck George Lucas for fucking up Star Wars. Does that about cover it?

Oh, and I also have no idea what you're talking about, Avid bounce

Now you know how the rest of us feel when we read your posts.
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:04 am

volvocrusher wrote:
pspiddy wrote:I still don't get why I don't get a digital copy of the theatrical release with my confirmed pre-order. Confirm my payment, send me the blu-ray later, and give me my digital shit now. Like kickstarter but I'll actually get the promised product.

Yeah, count me in that "anti-piracy measures only hurt the majority of purchasers" category. And fuck George Lucas for fucking up Star Wars. Does that about cover it?

Oh, and I also have no idea what you're talking about, Avid bounce

Now you know how the rest of us feel when we read your posts.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by ajapam Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:02 am

Saw Interstellar tonight. It's a solid sci-fi blockbuster. Kind of hit and miss at times from scene to scene though. Some stuff is great, some not so much. It explained a bit too much near the end and trapped itself in one big paradox. I enjoyed the obvious 2001 influences though the film kind of set me up for disappointment in that regard. It's a very different movie where it counts, as you would probably expect. The space scenes were mostly great

I also watched Solaris (hooray for libraries with movies) in preparation because of comparisons people were making. Some similar themes but, again, vastly different overall. The movie itself is a difficult watch (stay far, far away if you disliked 2001) but the style grew on me quite a bit over time. It almost felt... musical. Though in a much different way than I expected based on what I heard. The driving scene could've been shorter though. Or at least have less shots of the dude's face. Will rewatch it at some point.
ajapam
ajapam
Jill Sandwich

Back to top Go down

Post by avidacridjam Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:41 am

Which version of Solaris did you watch? The one directed by Steven Soderbergh (starring George Clooney) or the one directed by Andrei Tarkovsky?
avidacridjam
avidacridjam
Beary Bad Joker

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 17 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11 ... 17  Next