The Play Station
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Top 5 Gaming Goals For 2018 (with 2016 and 2017 also mixed in)
by BretBaber Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:47 pm

» Now Playing
by volvocrusher Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:27 pm

» General TV Show Discussion
by volvocrusher Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:48 pm

» First Half of 2018 Questionnaire (GotY So Far, etc.)
by volvocrusher Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:35 pm

March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Chat Thread

+14
Motinator
TheMatt
chocobot
avidacridjam
SanAndreasX
Miraculous Kaydybug
Rainjar
ajapam
lenny.b
TripOpt55
volvocrusher
BretBaber
pspiddy
Krubixcube
18 posters

Page 24 of 34 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 29 ... 34  Next

Go down

Chat Thread - Page 24 Empty Re: Chat Thread

Post by SanAndreasX Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:21 pm

My favorite anime TV series is a golden oldie: Ranma 1/2. Funny as hell because it relies a lot on physical comedy.
SanAndreasX
SanAndreasX
Biotic God

Back to top Go down

Post by Motinator Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:25 pm

Krubixcube wrote:Anything in particular that stuck out?

Not that I can remember, I just know that that I never questioned Bebop. During Death Note I'll sometimes turn to my roommate and narrow my eyebrows.
Motinator
Motinator
Has a Bad Case of Headcrabs

Back to top Go down

Post by avidacridjam Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:33 pm

I recall being fond of Samurai Champloo. During the late 00's, Adult Swim did quite a bit to get me into anime series: Evangelion (although the English dubbing is atrocious), Ghost In The Shell, Deathnote, Lupin the 3rd, Cowboy Bebop. Never could get into Trigun or Inuyasha.

During the late 90s, Cinemax would show certain anime films during late night periods so I got to see memorable, fucked-up stuff like Wicked City (a little too rapey there, fellas), Golgo 13, Vampire Hunter D, Fist of the North Star and Ninja Scroll.
avidacridjam
avidacridjam
Beary Bad Joker

Back to top Go down

Post by SanAndreasX Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:04 pm

I remember the late 90s Toonami which had stuff like Sailor Moon and Tenchi Muyo. SciFi Channel used to air anime on Saturday mornings in the mid-90s. A lot of it was censored as hell. I also began prowling the anime section at Blockbuster and found stuff like Wicked City and Ninja Scroll. The latter cost me five bucks in 1996.

In 1997, my sister was living in Boston and broke with her infant son, so we went to go bring her home. Harvard Square had probably the best anime/manga store in the United States at the time, Tokyo Kid. Every anime you could imagine was there on VHS. And being as how Final Fantasy VII was the big game at the time, they had a shit ton of Final Fantasy VII figures and soundtracks there, as well as the Japanese version of the actual game on sale. They also had loads of merchandise for what was then known as "Pocket Monsters", a year before Pokemon officially went on sale in the US and about two months after Nintendo Power published an article about the Pocket Monster phenomenon in Japan. At that time they hadn't even made any kind of decision about releasing Pokemon in the US. I think they even had Japanese copies of Pocket Monsters Red and Green for sale (Blue was very rare as it was only available by mail-order in Japan). I managed to pick up a couple of Final Fantasy VII "Extra Knights" Japanese figures of Tifa and Aerith. If I'd had a big enough line of credit or enough money I'd have cheerfully bought the entire inventory of the store.
SanAndreasX
SanAndreasX
Biotic God

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:37 pm

Berserk, on a recent rewatch...didn't hold up at all.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Rainjar Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:28 am

Death Note is shit. L is kinda cool and the concept is absolutely brilliant but they execute it in such a shit way that it's not surprise loads of young teens (Like myself when I was into it) think it's the bees knees. The live action movies are genuinely better, much better ending. The best part about Death Note is every time I go to the anime convention in London I just throw on a white top and blue jeans and everyone thinks I'm cosplaying as L to the point they actually wave at me while saying "L!". It's like, pls, I wear this almost every day. Bed hair for best hair.

Krubix you need to close your gabber before I jab you in it. Berserk is the absolute shit and has one of the best endings ever. Loads of plebs like the manga but then spend 7 years of their real life reading about Guts' fucking adventure on a shitty boat. The anime is fucking 10/10. This is indisputable.

Evangelion is still absolute fucking lightyears ahead of anything though. A life changing show without a doubt. if it wasn't for Eva I probably wouldn't even have left my room since finishing college. Avid you need to close your gabber too, the Eng dub is pretty swagalicious, the only reason the Jap voices are better is because Shinji's screams are 11/10 VOICE ACTING OF ALL YEARS.

Rainjar laying down some cold hard facts up in this bitch.
Rainjar
Rainjar
Volgin's Hand on my Crotch

http://myanimelist.net/profile/Rainjar

Back to top Go down

Post by ajapam Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:25 am

I actually watched a bit of Deathnote at one point. Liked it at first but it started going in directions I really didn't care for. That seems to be the par for the course for most anime that actually appeals to me as far as I'm concerned
ajapam
ajapam
Jill Sandwich

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:29 am

Rainjar: You're 19...shut up.

(cheap shot...but I got nothing else. I'm tired. Shut up.)

Though I agree with you on Death Note...VERY cool concept, very very...VERY dull execution. I know how you feel ajapam. Recently been watching Attack on Titan because ALL of my students are obsessed with it so I figured I'd see what all the hubub is about. That show DEFINES cool concept/shitty execution, good lord.

I think the reason (for me anyway) Bebop held up was because of its episodic nature. It's only got a few storylines that follow through the whole thing, and even those are kept nicely vague. There's never any stupid "we're going to take 10 minutes to explain the concepts in the world" stuff just is...and if you're smart you can figure it out. They pulled the "there's Chinese everwhere in the universe thing" before Firefly did (though I don't think they put that stuff in the English dub, but there's quite a few instances where shopkeeps will speak Chinese in the original), and it differs from the original manga loads (or so I'm told) and so the writers/creators of hte show really infused it with their own style and pacing.

In other words, to me, that show holds up very well. Beserk, not so much, Escaflowne...as much as I want medieval robot mechs to hold up...doesn't as much either. The original Evangelion...haven't watched it for ages but I've got it on DVD somewhere so I'll dig it up.

I feel we've strayed off topic from what I originally brought up Bebop for though which was overzealous localization/translation.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by Rainjar Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:18 am

KRUBIX M8 LET'S GO FITE ME RITE NOW, OLD MAN.

You're right with Attack on Titan. I hated the first 8 episodes but then thought 'Fuck the writing, fuck the story and characters, I'm just going to watch this for the insanely well directed action scenes, the music, and for sweet sweet Mikasa" then ended up finding the show really enjoyable.

Then Kill la Kill came out like a month later and I almost completely forgot about Titan.

If you hate shitty translations just check Virtue's Last Reward. I don't even know the language really and I was sitting there like "But they didn't say that." Le epic maymays everywhere too, it was awful.
Rainjar
Rainjar

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:34 am

Titan has amazing imagery, and a great concept but the man who wrote the manga and the writers handling the show don't know how to tell a good story. He thought of the the twists before he thought of the ending, and that very much shows. There's no hint of the twists to come because they're arbitrary. The plot moves at a snail's pace. It's the problem with so much anime these days.

The reason I fangasm about Bebop (and hell, you know what, I'll give you it you young'n) and Evangelion is because they had a single season's worth of content and that completely tied off the story. They were bold, they were stylish, like any good adaptation the writers and creators of the show were ballsy enough to change things. Japan...as much as I love this country is suffering a bit of a creative crisis though. They just regurgitate and imitate, I'm sure all of you non-anime types have seen that in 85% of the games coming out of the country as of late.

It's just SUCH a shame considering anime from the 90's, movies from the 50's-70's, hell I would argue music from the 80's-early 2000's were ahead of the game and great, and instead of moving forward they've taken a huge step to the side. OH WELLY.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Rainjar Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:28 pm

Krubixcube wrote:

The reason I fangasm about Bebop (and hell, you know what, I'll give you it you young'n) and Evangelion is because etcetc

Chat Thread - Page 24 JJc7js1

Rainman always wins.
Rainjar
Rainjar

Back to top Go down

Post by Motinator Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:30 pm

Ya I just finished Death Note, and I have to say that I'm glad it's over. Towards the end, a lot of things seemed just way too convenient for Light. I don't like Misa and the other-chick-that-he-went-out-with either.

Segueing to my experience at Fan Expo Vancouver, EVERYONE was wearing Attack on Titan backpacks.

But ya, I went to my first expo thing yesterday and it was sweet. Got an autograph from Tom Felton. Bought some art with Elizabeth, Booker, and Songbird on it. Watched a panel on the lead guy from Arrow (even though I don't watch the show, I didn't realise that his time slot got switched with Morena Baccarin from Firefly). Got to meet Vic and Marissa from EP Daily. So cool

Motinator
Motinator

Back to top Go down

Post by ajapam Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:49 pm

That's pretty sweet. You should've worn a Candy Crush shirt just to screw with Vic
ajapam
ajapam
Jill Sandwich

Back to top Go down

Post by Motinator Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:25 pm

they signed a card for me too, and he put the Batman symbol before his actual signature. Didn't notice that until I got home either, he did it so fast—must do it all the time, of course. Just such great hosts.
Motinator
Motinator

Back to top Go down

Post by Rainjar Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:47 pm

Death Note went from being awesome at the start because of the concept and some brilliant scenes, to mediocre when everyone was essentially psychic and could predict EVERYTHING, to terrible after.... Well, you know. The live action movies cut out the entire second half of shit.

All you saw was backpacks everywhere? Mate, the London Expo last year had full on survey corps cosplayers EVERYWHERE. You couldn't look in a direction and not see groups of them, it was absolutely insane. Was also great in the fact the survey corp outfits are awesome and there was a sweet sweet Mikasa cosplayer near where I was sitting for about 20-30 minutes which was bliss for the eyes. I hope there's just as many in May.
Rainjar
Rainjar

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:09 am

Haha, you should just give her some chalk and then she can figure out where the line is that sets it off. Make a little box of hooker-free zone. I did enjoy your anecdote.

I too have a prostitute-related anecdote. When in Japan as a white guy, you're often kind of...talked down to. The country is so predominantly ethnocentric that if you can speak a word or two of the language you tend to get a "WOW you speak japanese so well" for saying "thank you" or whatever. Anyway, there's a corner around where I am where there are hookers out maybe 70% of the time. They ask me "So you want to have a good time tonight?" I reply that I'm not interested in Japanese and even in that moment the hooker still is like "WOW, your Japanese is so good." Which I found kind of surreal. Talking in a condescending tone of voice to whitey transcends all social boundaries apparently.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:21 pm

Because of Obama's trip here every cop is asking for my ID constantly...3 cops who all they do is look for white faces so they can ask for ID. It's discrimination and it's practically legal by law since if you ask if there's "probable cause" for their stopping you they can just say "well foreigners commit crimes so...". Quite humiliating.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:15 am

I do Karaoke fairly often...I will give it a try.
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:20 am

Send me the song so I can practice it first at least...
Krubixcube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:35 pm

My brother sent me this text a few days ago (he works at a radio station for those that don't know):

A man that said he is the king of kings just got pissed at me when I wouldn't put him on the air to deliver his message from god. He shit at the bottom of the stairs.

So that happened.
TripOpt55
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

http://thetripleoption.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:46 am

Churchy people are loony. I hate pooping in public places, let alone dropping my drawers right in front of someone and pooping in spite.
BretBaber
BretBaber
Last of the Mudokons

Back to top Go down

Post by Rainjar Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:57 am

Neighbours are having a house party and all I can hear is their shitty bassy music through the walls (Note: They live 2 doors down). It's 5am. I've been awake since 7am because I was doing a 6 day week. All I wanted was a nice comfy night sleep.

Send help or I will start killing.
Rainjar
Rainjar

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:01 am

You're on your own pal!
volvocrusher
volvocrusher
Goddess of the Seal