October 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Now Playing

Page 4 of 34 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 19 ... 34  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Now Playing

Post by BretBaber on Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:48 pm

Figured I'd update the games that I'm currently playing and give a quick opinion on the game.

Final Fantasy XIII-2 PS3 - Good game, everything seems to be an improvement over XIII except maybe the characters.  Not that they were good in XIII.

Rayman Origins PS3/Vita - Started playing the game that I bought long ago on the PS3.  It was fun enough that I jumped on the deal for the Vita.  I'm sure next month Rayman Legends on the Vita will now be free.

Threads of Fate PS1 - As I stated in the "Wanna Plays Old PS1 RPG's" thread, this would be my next old school RPG after beating Parasite Eve.  Looks pretty good on the Vita, really colorful visuals, and  surprisingly great music.  Nothing cool feature, your HP level up based on how often you get hit.  Thought that was neat.

These are the games I'm focusing on the most.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Motinator on Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:11 pm

Started playing the original Bioshock again. Finally at a part that I haven't played before. For some reason I was dreading getting it done but I'm loving it now.
Motinator
Has a Bad Case of Headcrabs

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 on Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:13 pm

I played some Super Mario Galaxy 2 today because... hey why not.
TripOpt55
Goddess of the Seal

View user profile http://thetripleoption.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by SanAndreasX on Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:43 pm

chocobot wrote:Tales of Xillia is so great, the cast of characters is probably one of my favorites ever. The skits have been awesomely silly. And I'm in love with Alvin of course  (。♥‿♥。)
My wife and I have both been enjoying the humor in the skits quite a bit. This game is great.

PSN: Super_King666
Nintendo: SanAndreasX
Steam: San_Andreas_X
3DS Friend Code: 2294-5129-1033
SanAndreasX
Biotic God

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher on Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:54 am

TripOpt55 wrote:I played some Super Mario Galaxy 2 today because... hey why not.
I do this all the time.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher on Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:14 am

Just beat Skylanders Giants. Really good game, actually thinking of getting Swap Force day one for PS4 since it has the usual free characters plus a pre order bonus one I heard is really good. Ended up getting one of each element plus two giants which is my limit. The rest I'll get in included games. But was like a fun Diablo type game for kids with actual good writing and voice acting (Patrick Warburton and the guy who did Invader Zim are standouts)

Anyone interested in this game, just know two things: It will test your will to avoid buying more figures more than you can imagine. Figures are dead until you go back to the ship so the more you have, the more lives you have essentially. Playing on hard was really tough even after doing some grinding and all the optional stuff. Not sure how normal is, may fare better there.

The second is buy Drobot. He's the best. Not even funny how much better he is than everyone else.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ajapam on Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:42 pm

The third last level in Far Cry refuses to load so I'm putting it down and starting up Ratchet and Clank. I can't believe I skipped these games on the Ps2. I would've loved them

ajapam
Jill Sandwich

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber on Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:58 pm

"Dumb" by Nirvana, on my guitar. What a tune.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Miraculous Kaydybug on Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:00 am

I think i'm almost done with Xillia maybe 3/4ths or something, I'm kind of at the point where i just want to savor it and take it slow cause it really is amazing, but also I really need to have it finished in a week cause of Saints Row 4. So fuck i dont know what to do.

Also messed with Dragon's Crown a bit more tried the Knight, and meh dont like him much. Might be better with more skills though.

Angels in anyone A permanent solution to a temporary problem
Before I'd lay me down to rest I'd throw away everything to live~

Steam
Risette 3DS 3024 6121 9950 Nin. ID GoddessOfTheSeal Pixlbit http://gunstabwounds.tumblr.com/
Miraculous Kaydybug
Sees Tetris Blocks EVERYWHERE

View user profile http://gunstabwounds.tumblr.com/stabs

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber on Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:55 am

Threads of Fate has some very frustrating platforming. That is all.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube on Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:35 pm

What is it with certain PSOne RPGs having shit platforming. I mean...platforming's been around for ages. You think they could have at least done a serviceable job with it.

Steam: Krubixcube         3DS Friend Code: 1950-9553-1102         PSN:KrubixCube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SanAndreasX on Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:33 pm

Krubixcube wrote:What is it with certain PSOne RPGs having shit platforming. I mean...platforming's been around for ages. You think they could have at least done a serviceable job with it.
The perspective from which they were viewed, and the fact that they weren't meant to be platformers like Super Mario 64, probably. Xenogears, Alundra, and Brave Fencer Musashi come to mind as RPGs that had terrible platforming. The Tower of Babel in Xenogears was the single most frustrating part of that game.

SanAndreasX
Biotic God

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube on Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:50 pm

That's the point I quit my playthrough the last time. I actually maxed out the random encounters in the area. I just feel if you put an element into a game you need to design the levels around it. I love the idea of having a big sprawling RPG where you can explore hte environments a bit more freely. It was a really nice idea, I would just love to see someone commit to it. Imagine having Final Fantasy mixed with Jak and Daxter with random encounters smoothed into the world map (like Chrono Trigger) *sigh*...if only.

Steam: Krubixcube         3DS Friend Code: 1950-9553-1102         PSN:KrubixCube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by BretBaber on Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:10 pm

Threads of Fate is a bitch, because a lot of the game seems to revolve around platforming.

It's been a while since I played Brave Fencer Musashi, but I always thought that game had good platforming, and fun platforming elements. I wish Square would release that for PSN, even with me owning 2 copies of the game. I loved that game, so much that I can say it might be in my top 10 favorite. Hoping to replay it soon to see if it still stands the test of time. 15 years is a long time for a game like that.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube on Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:21 am

Still haven't played it. Was always one of those games I'd see at Blockbuster and want to rent but never did for no good reason.

Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SanAndreasX on Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:14 am

Krubixcube wrote:That's the point I quit my playthrough the last time. I actually maxed out the random encounters in the area.  I just feel if you put an element into a game you need to design the levels around it. I love the idea of having a big sprawling RPG where you can explore hte environments a bit more freely. It was a really nice idea, I would just love to see someone commit to it. Imagine having Final Fantasy mixed with Jak and Daxter with random encounters smoothed into the world map (like Chrono Trigger) *sigh*...if only.
It isn't the level design, it's the whole control scheme. Those games didn't have the interface to support any kind of real platforming. Since I'm leery of platforming in general outside of Mario and Sonic games, I'd rather they left it out altogether, and for the most part, they have.

Brave Fencer Musashi probably had the best platforming out of those, but that's not saying much. They're all still great games, but I'd shudder every time they threw platforming segments at me. I recently played Musashi, and it's still a solid game. I'm surprised Square Enix hasn't released it on PSN since they've released pretty much everything else there.

SanAndreasX
Biotic God

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Miraculous Kaydybug on Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:25 am

I like what Tales of Xillia does it sort of has platforming but not. The areas have all kinds of different elevations and such, but all the jumping climbing is done by button prompts rather than it having a jump button. I like it it adds more depth to the exploration without shoehorning in unneeded mechanics. Theres even quite a few puzzles designed around climbing and jumping into different places. I thought those were pretty neat.

Angels in anyone A permanent solution to a temporary problem
Before I'd lay me down to rest I'd throw away everything to live~

Steam
Risette 3DS 3024 6121 9950 Nin. ID GoddessOfTheSeal Pixlbit http://gunstabwounds.tumblr.com/
Miraculous Kaydybug
Sees Tetris Blocks EVERYWHERE

View user profile http://gunstabwounds.tumblr.com/stabs

Back to top Go down

Post by chocobot on Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:06 am

Krubixcube wrote:Imagine having Final Fantasy mixed with Jak and Daxter with random encounters smoothed into the world map (like Chrono Trigger) *sigh*...if only.
Why hasn't there been a game like that yet? That's an amazing idea.

Anyway, I'm on the second chapter of Xillia and still loving it. I'm going to play as much of it as I can before the beta for FFXIV starts this weekend since I know that will take over all my free time.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube on Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:47 am

Why thank you! If there is someone needs to tell me about it...

Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SanAndreasX on Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:31 pm

Krubixcube wrote:Why thank you! If there is someone needs to tell me about it...
I thought Nintendo was going to go in that direction with Ocarina of Time, since it was built on the SM64 engine. However, they decided to have autojumping.

SanAndreasX
Biotic God

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SanAndreasX on Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:32 pm

Is everyone here playing Dragon's Crown on Vita, or did anyone get the PS3 version? Today, after thinking I was going to have to start trawling Amazon, I ran into what was probably the last available copy in the Oklahoma City area.

SanAndreasX
Biotic God

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher on Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:33 pm

I'm not sure if random encounters could work with platforming. What if you get into one mid jump? Or if jumping negates it, why wouldn't you just jump all the time if you want to avoid them? WRPG like encounters like Kotor or Dragon Age on the other hand would be cool with platforming. I could dig one made like Deus Ex where you have to go through platforming or combat to complete a section.

Also I have DC on Vita.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SanAndreasX on Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:36 pm

I don't think there were a lot of turn-based RPGs that messed around with platform jumping. Xenogears was the only one that did, and in those areas the encounters were generally limited to parts of the level where there were no platforms. Most of the ones that did were action-based affairs like Alundra or Musashi. That said, I'd rather keep platforming out of RPGs altogether. I just don't have the patience for it outside of Mario anymore.

SanAndreasX
Biotic God

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber on Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:15 pm

Yuna and Lightning can jump.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by chocobot on Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:46 pm

Yuna and Lightning just automatically jump though.. I just really liked the idea of something with platforming as good as Jak and Daxter with an RPG battle system. Now I agree that random encounters wouldn't work, but something with enemies visible on the field like Tales and Final Fantasy 13 would be really cool. Two of my favorite genres combined like that sound amazing.

I also have Dragon's Crown on Vita btw.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber on Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:23 pm

I was just being a sarcastic jerk, knowing that they automatically jump.

Ratchet and Clank might not have the turn based set up, but some of their games have RPG elements, especially Up Your Arsenal. It was one of 1,000,000 reasons why I fell in love with the game.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SanAndreasX on Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:39 pm

Anyway, when I got Dragon's Crown (probably the last PS3 copy in the entire city, from what Gamestop told me), my wife looked at the box and noticed it had local multiplayer support. She loves MMORPGs and loot grinds like Diablo, and decided she wanted to play for me. We've been playing together for 5 hours now, and it's been a blast. She's really good at this kind of game even though she generally is a PC gamer. She picked the Amazon, I picked the Sorceress, to which she wondered how the Sorceress was keeping her boobs covered.

SanAndreasX
Biotic God

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber on Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:34 pm

That's nice. ^ Maybe I'll force my girlfriend to play with me if I ever get the game. Our gaming is limited. She's played Little Big Planet, Mariokart, Wii Sports, and Rock Band. I might be forgetting one or two.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube on Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:10 am

Yeah, always good to have games to force the gf to play =p. My problem is me and my GF are heavily into single-player story focused stuff so the chance to play together doesn't come often.

Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 34 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 19 ... 34  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top