June 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

The Legend of Zelda Series Discussion

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: The Legend of Zelda Series Discussion

Post by TripOpt55 on Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:26 am

Arbiter's Grounds for me. Cool new item. Great final boss. Other good stuff. I may take a peek at a dungeon list and come up with a top five if I can.
TripOpt55
Owns the World's Largest Platinum Relic Collection

View user profile http://thetripleoption.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher on Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:44 am

Arbiter's Grounds is a good one. As hard as I am on TP, that and City in the Sky would definitely show up in my top 5 Zelda dungeons. Probably with the 3DS Water Temple (don't care what anyone else says, I love that dungeon and that fixed my only issue with it) and either WW's Earth Temple or Wind Temple. Need to replay WW before I can say for sure.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SanAndreasX on Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:57 am

Twilight Princess had a lot of awesome dungeons. I liked the Arbiters' Ground and the Snowpeak ruins in that game.

My favorite dungeon in the series is probably Blind's dungeon in A Link to the Past. That was the first Zelda dungeon I ever saw that required a solution beyond the usual find the Big Key and kill the boss formula, and it's still pretty good even today.

PSN: Super_King666
Nintendo: SanAndreasX
Steam: San_Andreas_X
3DS Friend Code: 2294-5129-1033
SanAndreasX
Biotic God

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SanAndreasX on Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:20 am

Just downloaded the digital version of Wind Waker HD. I really tried to hold out for the physical copy, but dammit, I loved the game so much!

Looks great on Wii U. One of the better HD remasters I've seen of a game. Of course, the original game held up pretty well, thanks to its cel-shaded graphics.

SanAndreasX
Biotic God

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber on Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:43 pm

I just started Majora's Mask and have a question. When the timer goes to zero, is that game over?

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SanAndreasX on Sun Mar 06, 2016 1:20 pm

Anyone playing Twilight Princess HD?

SanAndreasX
Biotic God

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher on Sun Mar 06, 2016 2:21 pm

I am, just finished the second dungeon. Bad intro and wolf segments aside, I'm really enjoying it. Dungeons are great and Hero Mode adds some much needed challenge. Though the camera is much worse than I remember

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SanAndreasX on Sun Mar 06, 2016 3:37 pm

I haven't picked it up yet, kind of watching my pennies right at the moment. But man, oh man, do I want it. With this and Valkyria Chronicles HD, that's two of my five favorite games of all time remastered in a two month span. Smile

SanAndreasX
Biotic God

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 on Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:49 pm

I have it coming in from Gamefly. Looking forward to playing it again.
TripOpt55

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher on Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:54 pm

Do you replay Zelda games usually Trip?

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 on Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:19 pm

I have started replays on many of them, but I guess because so many of them are time-consuming, I don't usually finish them. I wish they had dungeon replay mode or something where I could just replay a dungeon here and there.
TripOpt55

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher on Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:47 pm

That mode would be perfect for these HD rereleases. Especially since the main reason to replay TP is for the Arbiters Grounds to Sky Temple stretch

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 on Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:24 am

The disc that Gamefly sent me doesn't work! Given the nature of the service this isn't rare to happen with older games, but I must be the first one playing this one. Bummer.
TripOpt55

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher on Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:29 am

Damn that sucks. Hope they do something to repay for those days you spent waiting on their broken game

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher on Sat Mar 12, 2016 7:56 pm

At the sixth dungeon now (forget what it's called but has the Dominion Rod). Have a higher opinion of this game than I did before. The bad (mostly) isn't as bad as I remember while the good is so much better than I remember. 
That said, I think I finally figured out why I couldn't connect with the world as well as past Zeldas.
Spoiler:
When you hit the midway point where you get a new goal to beat the villain, you don't feel how high the stakes are. OoT had you immediately see the town destroyed, WW had Ganon reveal he could use his full power but there's none of that here. You could argue Zelda disappearing could be it, but you saw her once before in the whole game, if it wasn't named after her there'd be no reason to care about her. Everyone in the world acts like you already saved it which makes working to the end less satisfying. I wish there was something everyone was afraid of a or dread that things aren't right despite looking that way.
That said I'd probably put this in my top 5 Zeldas. Not quite top 3 (which goes to WW, Minish Cap, and LBW

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher on Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:14 am

So the rumors on the 4 "real" dungeons, but 100 mini ones scattered throughout. Thoughts on whether it will be the case and whether you think it could work?

To me, 100 mini dungeons feels like a lot but then I think of my favorite Zelda dungeons which would get up to 20 rooms in there. Also like getting lost trying to figure out which wouldn't happen in the mini dungeons. But would the Wii U's power and lack of main dungeons mean the 4 we get are much more complex than normal?

And how would that affect what items you use? Will they only use items found in previous main dungeons or will you need to find certain items to finish the main dungeons? I like the idea of needing to explore to get through the main game personally.

There's also the nature of how big this game is. Does that mean not every area will have a dungeon? I mean, 4 seems really low with how big the world is but at the same time the way the overworld is taking more focus reminds me of how MM and WW took the same approach and they had the fewest dungeons overall.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ajapam on Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:24 am

I'm really hoping that, if this is true, the 4 dungeons are extra complex. Also I'd hope that the mini-dungeons aren't all the same generic theme. That'd get really repetitive.

ajapam
Jill Sandwich

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 on Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:40 am

I mean I guess I'd have to see what constituted a main dungeon and a mini-dungeon for this game, but I'm having a hard time seeing a bunch of mini ones (as I'm imagining them I guess) making up for such a lack of main ones. Having a ton of rooms to explore and have to solve the path through is definitely a large part of the appeal of Zelda dungeons for me.

I wouldn't expect the four to be more complex either. The power of the system certainly wouldn't have anything to do with that sort of design barrier. There would be less of them because they are focusing more on the overworld/mini-dungeons I would guess.

Having said that it could very well work in the sense that the new systemic gameplay stuff and freedom of exploration/progression in the overworld makes up for the lack of main dungeons. What I have seen of the game looks pretty awesome, so I'm not worried about it especially since it may just be a rumor.
TripOpt55

Back to top Go down

Post by SanAndreasX on Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:19 am

I'm actually glad they're spending more time on the overworld for this one. For me, the overworld more than the dungeons was what made Zelda for me. There were plenty of dungeon crawlers back in the day, but to tie the dungeons together with a wilderness world was what made Zelda special. It seems like overworlds in games in general have fallen by the wayside over the past decade or so, with many games replacing them altogether with point and click maps. Ocarina of Time had easily the weaker overworld of the entire series IMO, and while the series has improved from OoT to Majora's Mask to Wind Waker (yeah, I enjoyed the sailing and exploration) to Twilight Princess, there can still be more to do. My favorite overworld in games since 2000 was Dragon Quest VIII - a fully 3-D cel-shaded overworld that if you could see it, you could probably visit it, and one which you could explore from the air after you got the Godbird Soulstone.

And keep in mind, Majora's Mask only had 4 real dungeons.

SanAndreasX
Biotic God

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher on Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:09 pm

Majora's Mask is why I think it could be true. That's easily the most overworld focused Zelda of the 3D titles and this one focuses even more on the world, just in a different way. The Shrines just sound like a way to complement the world- just as much if not more about the discovery than actually completing them.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TripOpt55 on Sat Jul 16, 2016 5:21 pm

I really don't know the workload trade-off in this game, but like... would you trade in 25 of those shrines for a full dungeon? Would six full dungeons and 50 shrines be better? I realize this isn't how it works, but I'm just throwing out a hypothetical! I don't even understand exactly what a shrine/mini-dungeon or dungeon in this game consists of, so I'm just throwing this out there for discussion's sake.

Honestly, I don't like to backseat dev, so they should do what they want. I've been begging for a true new overworld in Zelda for a decade, so I'm happy we are getting one. I just don't think it has to come at such a huge expense to dungeons. I kind of disagree with something San said though. I feel like there are plenty of big worlds to explore in gaming, but nothing like Zelda dungeons. And the big ones that only come in the 3D games are even more rare (A Link Between Worlds went for more plentiful, really short dungeons instead for instance). I mean are there things like Zelda dungeons in RPGs that I'm missing? I always got the idea that RPG dungeons had completely different focuses than the puzzle-oriented Zelda dungeons.
TripOpt55

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher on Sat Jul 16, 2016 5:43 pm

No, you're right on RPG dungeons Trip, they're pretty combat focused with a few having some puzzles and exploration along the way, though that's almost never a big part. Mario RPGs are the only ones I can think of that really put a lot of puzzles in, the first Superstar Saga felt like a Zelda game at times.

I think San is saying that based on the games he plays. In many RPGs overworlds are becoming less important but move over to the AAA market and they're more common than ever. That said, I think the approach they're taking with the new Zelda is less common, based on how discovering areas seems to be a huge part, as opposed to most open world games which tell you where everything is pretty quickly.

As for your question Trip, based on how I think these will turn out, I probably would go with the compromise and take 50 shrines and 6 dungeons over what they're saying, but I'm still not entirely sure what the shrines will be like. Maybe they'll be more complex than I'm imagining (I'm thinking they're like Rise of the Tomb Raider optional tombs) and will be a great substitute for dungeons. I'm just curious how this will play out and how everyone thinks they will.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Krubixcube on Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:37 am

I agree on the overworld part. Hi, Chris here, long time lurker, first time poster. Anyway, I tend to like Zelda games where exploring the world itself is a big draw, and they always managed to do it in previous games without making it feel like the loosely designed "open worlds" of late without sacrificing that sense of exploration.

My only concern about the 100 shrines thing is it's an attempt to pad out the world (Well, we need stuff in it so...shrines). Hopefully I'm wrong and they're all unique though.

Steam: Krubixcube         3DS Friend Code: 1950-9553-1102         PSN:KrubixCube
Krubixcube
Goddess of the Seal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ajapam on Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:57 pm

Random question: Do you guys have any specific hopes for the story in Breath of the Wild? Maybe it's just because I played a bunch of Majora's Mask growing up, but I never really cared all that much about Ganon as the villain. I want to see another console Zelda with someone else entirely

ajapam
Jill Sandwich

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by volvocrusher on Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:08 am

I get the feeling this Zelda's story is going to be in a timeline where Ganon won, which could be interesting. But I do see Ganon being the villain with how much they talk about going back to the original game. Hell, it could be Wind Waker's backstory where the twist is you have to unleash the great flood onto the world because it's too late.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Back to top