Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» The Games You Played in November 2017
by BretBaber Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:19 am

» Now Playing
by TripOpt55 Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:10 pm

» Wanna Play Some Old School PS1 Role Playing Games?
by Krubixcube Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:17 pm

» Gaming Chat Thread
by Krubixcube Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:46 pm

December 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Ni no Kuni discussion

Page 1 of 8 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Ni no Kuni discussion

Post by SanAndreasX on Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:53 am

I just got done beating Old Smoky.

I LOVE this game. Other than Valkyria Chronicles, it's my favorite game of this entire console generation. I also just got the free Ni no Kuni strategy guide Namco sent me after they screwed up my Wizard's Edition order.

So anyone else playing this game?
SanAndreasX
Biotic God

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Ni no Kuni discussion

Post by TheMatt on Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:03 am

I am actually in the final dungeon right now. If you are enjoying it now, just wait... it keeps getting better. I think it's pretty safe to say this game is in my top-5 of this generation. It's certainly the best RPG. I just love Oliver so much. He's a great character.

I wish I had that guide though... it's only $24 on Amazon, but I am almost done with the game... Maybe I'll snag it for trophy hunting!
TheMatt
Cigar-chomping Dirty Old Man

View user profile

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by BretBaber on Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:06 am

It is a great game, and I can concur with TheMatt that it just keeps getting better. Slowly throughout the course of the game they introduce little new elements. What I would do to be scaling Old Smoky for the first time again. Alas, I am yet a mere hero after defeating Shadar and repelling the wrath of the White Bitch.
BretBaber
Unassuming Local Guy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SanAndreasX on Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:40 am

Such a wonderful game. Love the characters, the visuals, the music, the world... hell, the whole thing. And that strategy guide is definitely worth having beyond all the game stuff in it.
SanAndreasX
Biotic God

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMatt on Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:05 am

I just beat it Friday night and I can now say that its one of my favorite games this generation and one of my favorite RPG's of all time. The only part of the game that I didn't absolutely love was the party AI. They just used so much magic... all the damn time! Which is weird, because the enemy AI was actually pretty smart. They put you to sleep and attack the characters that aren't asleep. I died once, because of it, but appreciated the tactics!

I'm currently doing all of the post game stuff. I'm starting to realize there is a ton of it... haha. I'm still on the fence if I want to go for the platinum or not. That's a lot of familiar hunting/training.
TheMatt

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SanAndreasX on Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:19 pm

pspiddy wrote:This game's music is up there with Super Mario World and Castlevania SoTN.

What I like about it is that Joe Hisaishi captured the simplicity of older RPG tunes - and why they're still memorable today - while still using the power of the Tokyo Philharmonic to make it sound incredible. Video game music has become something of a lost art these days.
SanAndreasX
Biotic God

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SanAndreasX on Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:23 pm

pspiddy wrote:I marathon'd from 11pm to 6am. In that time I only did 2 story quests. I haven't done that since Demon's Souls. Ridiculous.

I'm sure the comparison has been made; This game reminds me of poke'mon meets Zelda OoT.

I think it's the closest thing we'll ever see to a console Pokemon RPG.
SanAndreasX
Biotic God

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Halochief90 on Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:44 am

SanAndreasX wrote:
pspiddy wrote:This game's music is up there with Super Mario World and Castlevania SoTN.

What I like about it is that Joe Hisaishi captured the simplicity of older RPG tunes - and why they're still memorable today - while still using the power of the Tokyo Philharmonic to make it sound incredible. Video game music has become something of a lost art these days.
Yeah, I don't know how he managed to knock it out of the park on his first try. He said in an interview that it was something like the most fun he's had ever working on a project (though for some reason I'm having trouble finding that interview). I hope that means he wants to work on more games.
Halochief90
Sand Thrower

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMatt on Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:50 am

Yeah, I discovered that as well. It's making me considering going for the plat for that game. Maybe... but that would be insane...

I'll probably do it...

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SanAndreasX on Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:11 am

Halochief90 wrote:
SanAndreasX wrote:

Yeah, I don't know how he managed to knock it out of the park on his first try. He said in an interview that it was something like the most fun he's had ever working on a project (though for some reason I'm having trouble finding that interview). I hope that means he wants to work on more games.

I'd love to see Studio Ghibli do more games. It's a shame the 1980s game industry totally raped Nausicaa. Miyazaki might have made more video games.
SanAndreasX
Biotic God

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SanAndreasX on Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:12 am

I love gamebreaker mobs. The dinosaur forest in Final Fantasy VI made that game such a breeze.

PSN: Super_King666
Nintendo: SanAndreasX
Steam: San_Andreas_X
3DS Friend Code: 2294-5129-1033
SanAndreasX
Biotic God

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber on Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:48 pm

regarding above spoiler

You can fight a similar creature in the Ivory Tower (last dungeon) that I believe gives you 27,000. I was lucky enough to get three of them during my final raid. A lot harder to come across though than the above mentioned one. There's another one some where that is in the middle, but I never came across that familiar while playing.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by chocobot on Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:06 pm

I'm glad to see so much love for this game here. I was looking forward to it for a long time and even got the Wizard's Edition. I just recently finished things up in Hamelin and have been teleporting around to complete some side quests.
chocobot
Will Eat Lizard Tails to Improve Stamina

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SanAndreasX on Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:13 pm

I'm getting ready to load 'er up again and give 'er another go. I think my strategy guide came with a free downloadable familiar of some kind.

SanAndreasX
Biotic God

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by chocobot on Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:32 pm

Yeah the strategy guide gives you the Gold Hurly I think. Or something golden. And don't forget Draggle is free to download from psn now.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber on Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:36 pm

Today I played the after game missions for 3 hours straight. It sucked me back in. I think I'd be blown away by how fun Sly 4 is if it would have come out after a different time. With Ni No Kuni out 2 weeks before it, all I want to do is play that game instead.

I will platinum it at some point. One of the final quests is going to take some luck because I need some enemies to drop a rare item. 5 of them! That stinks but I will do it.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SanAndreasX on Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:28 pm

I guess Gold Hurly is a pretty badass familiar, then? Wasn't it also a part of the Wizard's Edition?

I think I'd have a hard time playing any other game than NnK right now. It's been a long time since I've run across a game I was that absorbed in.

SanAndreasX
Biotic God

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber on Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:41 pm

^ Likewise. Clocked in 60 hours in 3 weeks.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SanAndreasX on Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:23 pm

pspiddy wrote:I'm 40+ hours in and I just got to Yule. I honestly didn't want to get my snow suit since the animations of Ollie and Drippy shivering were so awesome. I left it playing on the overworld map for about 10 minutes until the wifey told me I was being a fanboy. I shrugged that off because I didn't get the Wizard edition...and bought a steelbook for $35 on ebay...I'm a fucking fanboy Sad

I'm really loving the free strategy guide. I'm going to go redeem my Gold Hurly DLC that came with the guide. I probably should have gone for the Steelbook edition myself, but damn, I wanted that Wizard's Guide. Oh, well, since I only had to play for the plain vanilla game and got the book, I guess I came out ahead.

LOL at the shivering animations. That's one of the little touches that makes this game so great.

Off-topic: speaking of cold areas, I don't know if any of y'all every played Dragon Quest VIII (another great Level-5 made game!) but it always made me laugh that they made Jessica's Magic Bikini armor (which changes her appearance) available in the last town before you head into the snowfields.
SanAndreasX
Biotic God

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber on Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:08 pm

Dragon Quest VIII was one of my favorite games from the last gen. Didn't really do anything other than the story though. I always dream that they'd make an HD remake of that game.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SanAndreasX on Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:11 pm

BretBaber wrote:Dragon Quest VIII was one of my favorite games from the last gen. Didn't really do anything other than the story though. I always dream that they'd make an HD remake of that game.

I'd love to see a HD remake of DQVIII, but on the other hand, that game already looked great as it was on PS2. Unless they're going to make it over on the level of Ni no Kuni or Valkyria Chronicles I can't see how they'd make it look much better. But if they did, I'd be down with having DQVIII HD.
SanAndreasX
Biotic God

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber on Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:43 am

I'd like it just because it would give me an excuse to play it again. I think it would just look more crisp if it was made in HD. The game looked great on a standard definition TV, but only good on a bigger HD TV. Plus, giving me trophies would just give me more reason to try to accomplish everything like I am in Ni No Kuni.

I've always said Ni No Kuni is like Dragon Quest VIII and IX. Especially IX with all of the side quests and alchemy and getting all of the ingredients from the world map. Plus, it's like DQV with the familiars. It is just a great game people, everyone should be playing this.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SanAndreasX on Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:27 am

BretBaber wrote:I'd like it just because it would give me an excuse to play it again. I think it would just look more crisp if it was made in HD. The game looked great on a standard definition TV, but only good on a bigger HD TV. Plus, giving me trophies would just give me more reason to try to accomplish everything like I am in Ni No Kuni.

I've always said Ni No Kuni is like Dragon Quest VIII and IX. Especially IX with all of the side quests and alchemy and getting all of the ingredients from the world map. Plus, it's like DQV with the familiars. It is just a great game people, everyone should be playing this.

It truly is everything I'd hoped a HD RPG would be. Not that we haven't had quite a few fine RPGs this generation, despite popular perception. But Ni no Kuni is in a class of its own.
SanAndreasX
Biotic God

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BretBaber on Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:35 am

I haven't had a good RPG this gen. I don't like strategy RPG's, so I never played VC. I like the traditional JRPG, which was really lacking. Ni No Kuni reminded why the JRPG was my favorite genre on the PS1 and PS2. Thought it was a taste I lost.

Who is everyone's favorite character?

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMatt on Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:48 am

Oliver. He made me smile so much. Jeepers.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 8 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top